Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 146 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

13087544_697486113727568_3884703344123945633_n_(resized).jpg
    13076906_697486110394235_3307948927361624090_n_(resized).jpg
    DSCF0417.JPG
    DSCF0416.JPG
    DSCF4889.JPG
    16nixie1.jpg
    cthulhu.jpg
    ermagerd.jpg
    3d render.png
    PROD_PinballMachine_v03c_DK_141011_small.jpg
    There are 146 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 9 years ago

We had our art reveal last night and had a nice crowd of people that came to see. Even some first time pinball folks came by that heard about it from friends. Response has been great, and people can't believe that we are going to make the machine look like this. We are, we are bringing high art and involved theming to this title, as well some intricate game-play.

Without further ado, here is the cabinet design for "Wrath of Cthulhu". This is the first pinball machine from The Rebel Unit. The theme is a mixture of H.P. Lovecraft, as well as our own story elements. The art is all our design being a relic from more of a modern day than from an ancient civilization like Lovecraft stories. Music will all be original too. The machine will have hardwood, molded metal parts, inlay, custom topper (you see that thing?), and much much more.

Pricing has not been set. I know that's the first question people ask. Well, that and "you really are going to sculpt the back?" We'll let you know pricing when we are closer to production.

Still, with all the news from Expo going on, I wanted to ride that and post, "New Pinball, New Pinball!"

Barry Berman
    President and CEO, The Rebel Unit, LLC

PROD_PinballMachine_v03c_DK_141011_small.jpgPROD_PinballMachine_v03c_DK_141011_small.jpg
    #2 9 years ago

Wow! Cartman would be proud.

#3 9 years ago

and award for cabinet that kids aren't aloud to touch goes to...

#4 9 years ago

Coolest cabinet ever...

#5 9 years ago

With a back like that it will need to be in the middle of the room.

#6 9 years ago

Wow. Very nice. And best of luck with the project.

#7 9 years ago

Will this be a physical game or is it a fancy cabinet for a Virtual Pin?

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Slaymetender:

Pricing has not been set. I know that's the first question people ask. Well, that and "you really are going to sculpt the back?" We'll let you know pricing when we are closer to production.

Agree that sculpting the back is kind of retarded, for many reasons, number one being...wait for it....COST. And if I can't shove a pin up against a wall, I'm not going to own it, pretty simple there. Nonstandard side rails and lockdown bars promise to be an absolute joy to try and replace later on too..

Plunger looks interesting, flipper button looks EXCEEDINGLY stupid to have to deal with (Sorry, I hate hate HATE convex buttons. This is a pin, not an EVO competition figthing game stick..) all that trim around it too, much of which looks pretty pokey and sharp?

Love the aesthetic, but the practicality side of things is....um......yeah. And I don't have any faith you can get this out the door for a reasonable price either. =P

#9 9 years ago

It looks like a Victorian wardrobe. I don't know if that's a bad or a good thing!!

#10 9 years ago

love the cabinet. while some cabinets look great, this looks like a piece of furniture. love the detailing.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from mufcmufc:

It looks like a Victorian wardrobe.

If you climb in the cabinet you end up in Narnia.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

love the cabinet. while some cabinets look great, this looks like a piece of furniture. love the detailing.

I second this, the cabinet looks fantastic.

#13 9 years ago

Wow! Looks great! Victorian pinball!
    I have a knee jerk degree of skepticism because it seems so damned hard to put a pin together, especially with a cab this detailed. I mean, even the BACK of the cabinet has more detail than most of the others entirely.

But I genuinely hope you succeed. Great concept regardless!

#14 9 years ago

That thing looks awesome! Huge Lovecraft fan. Would make a great theme.

#15 9 years ago

That cabinet is SICK!

That said, given my games are all in rows, with their backs snug up against the wall, I wouldn't pay anything extra for cool cabinets since you can't see them. This must be aimed at the "I'm a bachelor, I only own one pin, and I put it in the middle of my living room" crowd.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Will this be a physical game or is it a fancy cabinet for a Virtual Pin?

This is a physical game. We aren't showing playfield art yet, so that was blacked out in the concept art.

#17 9 years ago

Another boutique pinball machine!? Interesting times we live in!!

#18 9 years ago

Notice "The Rebel Unit LLC" Everyone quick send your money to an LLC so that if it fails you get nothing! Now I hope they are successful but apparently everyone believes they can build a machine. Yet like TBL if they build it and not use everyone's money to develop it, it might be a cool game. Anyone that thinks they are going to build a machine off of pinheads money is going to learn some valuable lessons. The preorder thing is over. I wonder how many people will be able to get their money back from TH. I heard their are many who will be canceling after the revel. Best of luck to the rebel unit, I do truly hope you develop something great.

#19 9 years ago

I wish that when a boutique company announced their game that it would also include a video saying "hey, look, here's our functioning and flipping prototype" and that video then proceeded to show a working prototype.

#20 9 years ago

I'm just not digging the fact all these new pins coming out will be over $5,000 and this pin looks like it could be over $10,000. I'd rather the innovation be spent on making a great pinball for less then $4000.

#21 9 years ago

Nice looking cab. 4 sure

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Agree that sculpting the back is kind of retarded, for many reasons, number one being...wait for it....COST. And if I can't shove a pin up against a wall, I'm not going to own it, pretty simple there. Nonstandard side rails and lockdown bars promise to be an absolute joy to try and replace later on too..
    Plunger looks interesting, flipper button looks EXCEEDINGLY stupid to have to deal with (Sorry, I hate hate HATE convex buttons. This is a pin, not an EVO competition figthing game stick..) all that trim around it too, much of which looks pretty pokey and sharp?
    Love the aesthetic, but the practicality side of things is....um......yeah. And I don't have any faith you can get this out the door for a reasonable price either. =P

Also worth noting is that the tentacles that are at the bottom of the backbox will stick straight out when the backbox is folded down, creating a problem with standing the machine on end for transport. Also if the head is too wide, it will also create a problem with getting it through doorways without being removed. Almost better not to even bother making it hinged at that point.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from srmonte:

Notice "The Rebel Unit LLC" Everyone quick send your money to an LLC so that if it fails you get nothing!

No worries, we won't be taking any preorders till we are assured of a real production schedule. We are funding R&D out of our own pockets. For now, it'll be updates in art and game-play.

#24 9 years ago

Personally I'd rather see the bulk of my pin purchase under the glass. That's where all the fun happens.

Looks super cool but damn....how much will this cost?

#25 9 years ago

Why is this game named "Wrath of Cthulhu" when another boutique company is making "Wrath of Olympus".

That is certain to cause confusion.

#26 9 years ago

I am all in for a Lovecraft pin. Looks fantastic - but I plead to stay close to the source material as possible. Every time one moves far from the original Mythos, things tend to go wrong (Stuart Gordon for example). Are you planning on adding elements from his major works: At the Mountains of Madness, Colour out of Space, Shadow over Innsomouth...besides just Cthulhu?

#27 9 years ago

This looks like a ridiculous pipe dream. Anyone can make a 3D render. Don't show anything until you have a game. And that means a built cabinet, with a populated playfield, and art. At minimum.

I'm sure it's exciting to render things and dream and want to share those dreams with people, but they're just going to set you back in the long run. Keep it to yourself until you make it long past that stage if you truly want to see success.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Slaymetender:

No worries, we won't be taking any preorders till we are assured of a real production schedule. We are funding R&D out of our own pockets. For now, it'll be updates in art and game-play.

Much respect to that. It does look really cool and I hope you guys do what TBL just did.... and knock it out the park. Good luck man

#29 9 years ago

The money should go into gameplay instead of the cabinet.

And if you are making the cabinet something special, dont do the back. Nobody will see that.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I am all in for a Lovecraft pin. Looks fantastic - but I plead to stay close to the source material as possible. Every time one moves far from the original Mythos, things tend to go wrong (Stuart Gordon for example). Are you planning on adding elements from his major works: At the Mountains of Madness, Colour out of Space, Shadow over Innsomouth...besides just Cthulhu?

I think it sound more like Cthulhu inspired. That's ok with me.

I am very interested in this game, hopefully it's more like TBL where you can buy one after they are ready, not like Jpop where you have to buy them when they are just an idea.

I don't think there has to be any made up limited number either, let the market decide how many will be built.

Keep us posted.

#31 9 years ago

Wow, Aliens and this it just keeps piling up. Very exciting time to be a pinhead.

#32 9 years ago

It looks impressive, but I can't help but think that this would be cost-prohibitive to actually produce.

Keep in mind, the buyers pool for $6k-$9k price point for pins is rapidly shrinking, especially with all the new pins projected for release in 2015.

#33 9 years ago

I'm glad that you guys aren't jumping in and asking for money right away. Can't wait to see how this turn out!

#34 9 years ago

I'm scared the hear the retail pricing.

#35 9 years ago

I hope you are closer to a production machine than a single cabinet render would suggest. I have enough non-available boutique pinballs to stay up to date on right now.

That said, I would buy a great Cthulhu pin in a heartbeat.

#36 9 years ago

Best looking cabinet ever! If the attention to detail in the cabinet is the same given to the pf, artwork and rules then this game will be awesome. Also, such a super cool and extremely dense mythos for modes and such for a pinball game. No doubt battling Cthulhu to save the world in an epic wizard mode! Good luck.

#37 9 years ago

I'll be interested to see how this develops, especially the artwork since anyone reading the stories has their own ideas of what these old gods/creatures look like despite the descriptions. I used to play the role-playing game bitd...great material to draw from. Good luck, if it turns out well I'd love to buy one.

#38 9 years ago

That would be a beautiful pin and interesting theme. Not sure about the cabbage you are throwing into the non-pin parts.

Good luck though, love to see one in person!

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Anyone can make a 3D render.

Not true. I'm pretty sure I can't.

#40 9 years ago

I stand corrected!

3d render.png3d render.png
    #41 9 years ago

Call me crazy, but pinball to me is about the playfield and how it shoots. That's a fancy piece of sculpture pictured above, but that doesn't mean much of anything about how the game will be.

#42 9 years ago

I love how I point things out that get thumbs down, then people later in the thread say the same thing and get thumbs up. Ya'll some epic hypocrites lmao.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Call me crazy, but pinball to me is about the playfield and how it shoots. That's a fancy piece of sculpture pictured above, but that doesn't mean much of anything about how the game will be.

It means the game will be expensive and I won't be able to find one on route!

#44 9 years ago

Wow, that cabinet is amazing! I can't wait to see it in person someday.

#45 9 years ago

It should be "Call of Cthulhu", not Wrath of Cthulhu.
    Afraid of the CoC acronym?

Wrath of Cthulhu seems odd. And does not seem original after Wrath of Olympus.

But Cthulhu is an excellent theme, with a lot of ideas to create a great pin.

#46 9 years ago

.........Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagnl...........

.......Huh?..... Hey, how did I get into this thread?..........

Game looks cool though.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

It should be "Call of Cthulhu", not Wrath of Cthulhu.
    Afraid of the CoC acronym?
    Wrath of Cthulhu seems odd. And does not seem original after Wrath of Olympus.
    But Cthulhu is an excellent theme, with a lot of ideas to create a great pin.

agreed. also lame to piggyback on another game that has been announced for over a year.

Change your name now before it is too late.

cab looks cool for a virtual mock up. Is this just going to be a virtual pin?

#48 9 years ago

My other hobby is Boardgames... Recently, there has been over-saturation of Lovecraft/Cthulhu and Zombie themed games.

It appears that this trend is now moving over to pinball as well.

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from Ogie191:

My other hobby is Boardgames... Recently, there has been over-saturation of Lovecraft/Cthulhu and Zombie themed games.
    It appears that this trend is now moving over to pinball as well.

What else has been done with a Lovecraft/Cthulhu theme? You may be getting the confused as they are not the same as your typical zombie lore. Lovecrafts writings mostly deal with a sci-fi/horror mythos of "the great old ones" coming to planet earth.

#50 9 years ago

I'm very much in favor of the ornate cabinet, however I can understand those who aren't. May even be possible to have a standard cabinet for those who prefer to keep the cost inside the cabinet so to speak, but hope you don't abandon that mad cabinet as it really stands out.

I'm not sure but could be that Lovecraft is in public domain already?

One question what type of display is it going to have a color LCD?

There are 146 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-machine-wrath-of-cthulhu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.