Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by J85M
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

kk.jpg
    circe17.jpg.jpg
    2rf.jpg
    GTA_4_six_fingers.jpg
    image2993.png
    Arte1.jpg
    circe18.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider simon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

It seems like the big challenge for the boutique guys is in the software and electronics . . . they get the mechanics and designs, the white boards seems to be easy for them. But can they manufactur chips and PCB boards in a cost effective manner?

It is a challenge for sure, but in this particular case its all been figured out already pretty much by the people behind it, its a business afterall (This isnt so much a 'boutique' setup, its looking to be a mainline pinball supplier with a reasonably substantial factory etc.. plus these are not being produced solely for the home market, theyll be targeting ops in a big way..), and as such has investors and the like putting up capital so everythings had to be costed in order to produce a business plan with relevant financial projections etc..
    No-one would have stumped up money without an idea of how much the things will cost to produce, quite a lot of works gone into this already to be fair.

Im sure Andy (The owner of heighway pinball) will post on here soon enough and answer peoples questions, but i can tell you theres some REAL interesting aspects to this project that will genuinely set it apart from the other pinball producers.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

For circuit boards I'm starting to wonder if it's time for people to start thinking about just throwing low performance PCs in them (you can go with fanless heatsinks then) with solid state storage and a Linux OS. Then even in the future when that exact motherboard doesn't exist anymore - you'll be able to find something else that'll run it just fine. $35 motherboard sounds very tempting compared to $150 Stern CPU board (guessing at the price).

I wondered about that too, partly because I run an IT recycling company and so have access to ridiculous quantities of mid to low-end pc's that we basically destroy for the scrap value of their pcb (Precious metals content is quite high on these) so I know these can be sourced for a few pounds each - I think it was something that was talked about but they went down another road in the end (Tekky reasons i assume - unless you really reinvented the technology that makes a pinball machine 'tick' i cant see how you could avoid some sort of power/driver board etc.. by which point you might just as well create your own proprietary full boardset ).

I cant exactly remember off the top of my head but didnt the new canasta people use a pc system board of some sort?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider simon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-company-original-theme?tu=simon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.