(Topic ID: 233097)

New pinball basement, what to look for...

By jake35

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 60 days ago by Yoski
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 months ago

I'm building an 6300 sq ft office building for my expanding insurance business/call center. Figured on having an additional 6300' unfinished basement as part of the plans (plastic covered insulation, studded walls with block). I would like to have plenty of space for the machines and any new ones, and room for a garage for a couple vehicles, bathroom and a small guest bedroom. Other than adequate wiring what should I look for when planning with the architect? What sq footage footprint would be ideal for the gameroom area.

How many machines can 4-5000 sq feet accomadate?

Other than adequate wiring what should I look for when planning with the architect? What sq footage footprint would be ideal for the gameroom area. I guess I want to avoid potential pitfalls and things I wish I had thought of.

#2 3 months ago

#3 3 months ago

I’m envious! No idea how many pins that space will accommodate, but with that much space you could have them laid out somewhat randomly so you can see cabinet and back box art.

#4 3 months ago

Elevator, not stairs!

Ventilation / climate control, if you have a pinball party with a lot of bodies and machines, it's gonna get sweaty.

A repairs area with lots of well planned parts and tools storage and room to work.

And obviously a bar / beer taps!

#5 3 months ago

I think you want to work it backwards. If your solidly set on putting in the garage and the bedroom ect......, then you need to figure out how much room that stuff will take up and then the rest is your game room area.

John

#6 3 months ago

Thanks guys. It will be a walkout basement so no stairs needed! with a small full bath and BR, and garage I’ll have plenty of space left for games. Just want to make sure I plan it right. Never could figure out how some guys make it work with dozens, I’m solidly out of room with 11 in a 5k sq foot house lol.

#7 3 months ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I think you want to work it backwards. If your solidly set on putting in the garage and the bedroom ect......, then you need to figure out how much room that stuff will take up and then the rest is your game room area.
    John

Thanks makes sense. How many sq feet do yours take John if you don’t mind?

#8 3 months ago

Give some serious thought to lighting. Can lighting above games is a killer. Maybe rope lighting or moveable spots...I just know I have a couple games with can lights above them and they are a pain with reflection. Magic Glass helps but is expensive. I need to rethink mine.

Sounds like you have a great situation there. Have fun.

#9 3 months ago

Make sure your guest room is large enough for a husband/wife and two girls (aged 9 and 6 years old). The bed should have a minimum 600 thread-count sheets and goose feather pillows. Also, the husband really likes pizza so yeah, have pizza there when I arrive!

#10 3 months ago
    Quoted from erico201:

Make sure your guest room is large enough for a husband/wife and two girls (aged 9 and 6 years old). The bed should have a minimum 600 thread-count sheets and goose feather pillows. Also, the husband really likes pizza so yeah, have pizza there when I arrive!

Haha for sure my friend!! Make it happen!

#11 3 months ago
    Quoted from jake35:

Thanks makes sense. How many sq feet do yours take John if you don’t mind?

My basement is about 2000 sq. ft. The workshop area is small, probably 12 x 12 but I'm fine with it. The smaller parts closet is about 8 x 8 and the larger parts closet/utility area is around 4 x 28. So totaling all that up and it comes to about 320 sq. feet and then subtract that from the 2000 and that left about 1680 feet for games. 75 pins + vids, jukebox, pop machine.....totaling around 85 pieces.

John

#12 3 months ago

I would allow about 1,000 square feet for the bedroom (10' X 12') bathroom (5' X 7' minimum), garage (20' X 36' - 3 cars) and circulation. That leaves a lot of space for pins. As a planning number, I would assume a double loaded pin "module" of about 45 square feet (15 feet X 3 feet) for two pins facing each other. If the building proportions were something like 60 X 105 feet, you could get four modules along the 60 foot wall, and in the 5300 square feet remaining after the bedroom/garage etc. get over 200 pins easy.

#13 3 months ago

200 pins? Do you really want to maximize pins or have some balance with pins, entertainment and eating/relaxing spaces?

#14 3 months ago

10ft high open ceiling and paint it flat black.

#15 3 months ago
    Quoted from Toucanf16:

200 pins? Do you really want to maximize pins or have some balance with pins, entertainment and eating/relaxing spaces?

Yeah, I agree, just answering the OP's question - how many machines can 4-5K accommodate. If I had the space, I would definitely consider the spaces you mention, plus plenty of room still left over for a full bowler, shuffleboard, skee ball, etc., theater, kitchenette, etc. Its a lot of space.

1 month later
    #17 60 days ago
    Kudos to you for knowing the difference between envy and jealousy.

- The Guy Who Notices Such Things

#18 60 days ago

Wide doorways! At least 36"! And if using sliders, get french doors, rather than the sliding kind. The dolly will trash the sliders tracks in no time!

#20 60 days ago

Make sure the basement doesn't flood. Pinball machines absolutely hate water. A dehumidifier would be good, so things don't get moldy. The temperature in a basement stays fairly constant so your probably good there. High temperature swings create condensation which electrical and metal components hate and cause flaking of backglass. Electrical outlets on the ceiling would be awesome. That way you don't have cable salad on the floor. Those are the first things that come to mind. Good luck!

#21 60 days ago

I did the math. If you can fit 11 machines in 5000sqft, then you’ll easily get 13 in 6300.

#22 60 days ago

Lighting is primary. Consider what you want the space to look like. Is it an acade with glow carpet and black lights and neon? How can you achieve that... what about when you want to work on games (clean, polish, initial diagnosis). Will you have enough lighting to do that without needing to drag around a light?

I finished my game room (mostly) and went with LED strip lights in a light try that sits about 9 inches down from the ceiling and the led point at the ceiling. Thats fully RGB tunable/dimmable so I can change look/feel of room in 1 second. Then I put cans in the ceiling that are purposely over the games and ran dimmer switches with LED bulbs. That works great as I turn them on low to play- glare is non existant and it provides just a little extra light to see the game if the room is darker. I can crank those up and then have enough direct light to take a good look at a game for a quick service or repair.

Finally- power... multiple dedicated circuits. I went with an outlet on the wall for every other game with a few extras thrown in. Since my games are along a wall that works and tidy cords look fine (barely noticeable). Consider floor outlets for middle of room location but also consider that doing so locks in game orientation and location so think it all the way through. Celing outlets work but I fee like I see that more than a tidy cord running to a floor outlet thats exactly where the game back is sitting.

Also- I would seriously consider chopping that larger space into three rooms. An arcade big enough to hold your largest collection- a shop big enough to work on more than just games- and another unfinished space planned so you can either use it down the line or expand some other room into it. Ideally that undinished space abuts the rooms you may expand in the future. I feel like its soooo big that it may look really really empty unless your going to grow big fast. So plan a proportionatley sized room- thats all.

#23 60 days ago

Protect against lightning strikes. Even if the machines are off, as long as they are plugged in they are in danger. On main breaker/switch for the machines so you can turn all of them off at once.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 87.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.95
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 248.00
    $ 66.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Lighting - Led
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 5.00
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 109.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside