Topic poll

“What do you think of the Thunderbirds theme?”

• Love it! 151 votes
    30%
  • Thunder-who? 230 votes
    46%
  • Doesn't matter as long as it plays well 138 votes
    27%

(Multiple choice - 504 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 187 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

true class (resized).jpg
classy all the way (resized).jpg
Shell-Station (resized).png
51f9d738dba2b5b4e34c94a1b1c466da (resized).jpg
IMG_0544 (resized).JPG
slingassemble7 (resized).jpg
slingassemble8 (resized).jpg
optoboards2 (resized).jpg
optoboards (resized).jpg
optoboards4 (resized).jpg
optoboards3 (resized).jpg
3targets (resized).jpg
dtplastic (resized).jpg
pinfestmechs (resized).jpg
slingassemble6 (resized).jpg
The_Mole (resized).jpg

There are 1843 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 37.
#2 5 years ago

Yessssssss!!!!!! 946512_478313178911363_432124146_n.jpg

#3 5 years ago

NIB Scott!

37.JPG

#4 5 years ago

That's pretty cool. My wife is a huge Thunderbirds fan. We even have a Thunderbirds themed slot machine.

Personally, as far as marionettes go, I'd rather see a Team America pin....F**K YEAH!!!

#5 5 years ago

Wow...that's a really strange theme to license. Obscure 1 season show from the 60's? Makes Jack's WOZ pick look brilliant. Oh well...good luck to them.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Obscure 1 season show from the 60's?

Two seasons, two movies, and a live action remake. Never missed one. Gerry Anderson has a huge following.

#7 5 years ago

I wasn't even remotely close to being born when this theme was a thing.

Reminds me of team America world police. America, Fuck yeah

#8 5 years ago

F.A.B Homepin!

Great theme.

If you watch Thunderbirds today, remembering that it was made in the 1960s, it's just fantastic. There is a really good documentary around about the making of the series and Gerry Anderson.

I have the box set. Winner!

rd.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Two seasons, two movies, and a live action remake. Never missed one. Gerry Anderson has a huge following.

Movies were flops, live action movie tanked. Just seems like one of those things that has a few hardcore fans but the general public is unaware of it and/or doesn't care about it. I imagine most people today who ARE actually aware of it owe that awareness to Team America vs. ever seeing the actual show. Seems like a relatively obscure nostalgia old thing... But hey, I really want a culty old thing Big Lebowski pin, so...who knows. It's completely off my radar, but perhaps there's an audience for it.

Tmontana, add a poll! I'm curious as to how many Pinsiders find this to be an interesting theme.

#10 5 years ago

Or how about what's the better cancelled cult sci-fi television show theme: Thunderbirds, or Futurama...

#11 5 years ago

I'm with Rare Hero on this one. So many potential great themes that could have been chosen by a new company. This isn't one of them (for me).

#12 5 years ago

I'm a younger pinsider and I have no idea wtf thunderbirds is.

#13 5 years ago

Sadly the more recent Thunderbirds movies didn't do the TV show justice. I watched the TV show every Saturday morning as a kid growing up and I think it is a fantastic theme with lots of potential.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Or how about what's the better cancelled cult sci-fi television show theme: Thunderbirds, or Futurama...

Or....how about Firefly for sure!

#15 5 years ago

i had to check what this was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbirds_%28TV_series%29

hope it works for them.

#16 5 years ago

I'm an old pinsider, and I missed that one evidently.

#17 5 years ago

At the end of the day, theme is forgotten if it is a good pin.

Congo? Shit movie. Good pin.

Addams Family? Shit movie. Good pin.

Avengers? Good movie! errrrrrr ......

I kidd! I kidd!

rd

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

At the end of the day, theme is forgotten if it is a good pin.
Congo? Shit movie. Good pin.

Actually Addams was a pretty good movie...matter of opinion, of course, but it was a hit when it came out and inspired a sequel which most people liked even more than the original.

When the Addams and Congo themes were chosen, they were new movies at the time. Addams was expected to be a well received theme due to the theme being well known throughout the years, and Congo was expected to be a hit due to Michael Crichton's previous hit with Jurassic Park. So...at the time those themes were chosen, it made total sense. Does it make sense to pick Thunderbirds in 2013?

In any case - who is behind Homepin? Industry vets, hobbyists with a dream, or whut?

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Movies were flops, live action movie tanked. Just seems like one of those things that has a few hardcore fans but the general public is unaware of it and/or doesn't care about it. I imagine most people today who ARE actually aware of it owe that awareness to Team America vs. ever seeing the actual show. Seems like a relatively obscure nostalgia old thing... But hey, I really want a culty old thing Big Lebowski pin, so...who knows. It's completely off my radar, but perhaps there's an audience for it.
Tmontana, add a poll! I'm curious as to how many Pinsiders find this to be an interesting theme.

True that. I would absolutely love a Space 1999 themed pin but I cant see that evet getting consideration outside of a one-off.

#20 5 years ago

THUNDERBIRDS has a massive cult following right across Europe,Asia, Australia etc.. when Mike told me the theme I said that US customers just wont "get it"... seems I may have been right..BTW... who is "Team America"?... it obviously didn't travel well overseas.
The pin is going to be awesome.. some of the features ( yet to be released) will make this a unique machine.
VERY exciting news indeed!

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Retropin:

THUNDERBIRDS has a massive cult following right across Europe,Asia, Australia etc.. when Mike told me the theme I said that US customers just wont "get it"... seems I may have been right..BTW... who is "Team America"?... it obviously didn't travel well overseas.
The pin is going to be awesome.. some of the features ( yet to be released) will make this a unique machine.
VERY exciting news indeed!

Team America was an homage/spoof of Thunderbirds by the creators of South Park

#22 5 years ago

How about a negative choice, like don't care...because personally, I think it's a lame idea. But, maybe soon they'll do something actually interesting like Death Race or Mad Max.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm with Rare Hero on this one. So many potential great themes that could have been chosen by a new company. This isn't one of them (for me).

Me three.

#24 5 years ago

The release of the pinball in 2015 is timed with a new series release of 26 episodes of Thunderbirds,so maybe a few of you don't get it but your kids will.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

» YouTube video

In a really twisted way, it makes so much sense...ROFL

#26 5 years ago

Great idea and theme IMO, grew up watching the show.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

True that. I would absolutely love a Space 1999 themed pin but I cant see that evet getting consideration outside of a one-off.

Space 1999 was awesome! There was one episode that scared the crap out of me as a kid. Some monster that would eat humans and they'd pass through and come out as skeletons or something like that. Got nightmares from that episode for sure.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

» YouTube video

Aaaah yes... I have seen this many years ago.
Thunderbirds is still shown on TV here at 6am.. my kids absolutely love it. Gerry Anderson created something very unique that still to this day manages to capture the imaginations of kids... I was born in 1966 and grew up with FireballXL5, Thunderbirds, Capt Scarlet, Joe 90, Stingray etc and I still get a buzz from the shows.

#29 5 years ago

Thunderbirds was and is great! However, I don't think Jack and Gary are slapping their foreheads and saying "How did that one get away from us?" It is cool, but doesn't have the broad appeal a company needs for a first pin. That being said, I'm very curious to see how this theme gets executed. Could be really cool!

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Thunderbirds was and is great! However, I don't think Jack and Gary are slapping their foreheads and saying "How did that one get away from us?" It is cool, but doesn't have the broad appeal a company needs for a first pin. That being said, I'm very curious to see how this theme gets executed. Could be really cool!

Waste of time and money if you ask me.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Waste of time and money if you ask me.

It may prove to be so. I don't think it stands a very good chance of success. But I am interested to see what they make of this quirky theme. Will I preorder? Hell no.

#32 5 years ago

My wife shows our boys episodes of Thunderbirds and Stingray all the time. I don't get it, but they sure do. And these are kids who have been raised on Spongebob, so there must be something to it.

I wonder if the decision was based on the fact that it does have the cult status to many but yet might have been reasonable from the standpoint of acquiring the license.

Even though I'm not a huge fan of the show, the thought of hearing the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...countdown in a pin would make me want to check it out.

#33 5 years ago

Definitely an obscure theme for Americans. I personally don't know anything about it and I was born in the late 60's.

#34 5 years ago

Before any of you familiarize yourself with the Thunderbirds, I recommend familiarizing yourself with several beers.

#35 5 years ago

Loved the thunderbirds growing up. If they have moving marionette toys in the pin that would be.... Just a little silly

#36 5 years ago

Can't believe how negative some of you are being in relation to this theme just because you have never heard of The Thunderbirds before.

4 of the top 10 pins of all time on Pinside are based on themes not associated with any movie or band. For me it comes down to the design of the machine and how it plays.

Good luck Homepin. I hope you prove these people wrong!

#37 5 years ago

going to be released mid 2015 in time for the 2015 Thunderbirds release,

good luck homepin

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from fridgejam:

Can't believe how negative some of you are being in relation to this theme, just because you have never heard of The Thunderbirds before.
4 of the top 10 pins of all time on Pinside are based on themes not associated with any movie or band. For me it comes down to the design of the machine and how it plays.
Good luck Homepin. I hope you prove these people wrong!

I agree, theme does very little for me. I love south park but hate the pin. I played addams family for years before I ever watched the movie. For those who don't know the thunderbirds, then just treat it like an original theme like mm, afm, etc. and judge it on it's playability.

#39 5 years ago

I'd rather have a Fireball XL5 or Supercar pinball. I hated Thunderbirds when I grew up in the sixties.

#40 5 years ago

GREAT NEWS!!! I'm seeing a lot of "what are Thunderbirds?", but not a lot of "that won't make a great pin"...which is good. If you're familiar with the theme you can imagine how well this will translate into a potentially AWESOME game!

It's a smart move going with a theme that has a passionate group of followers. Sure it might be a 'cult theme', but the days of selling 10 or 20,000 units are gone. If you want people to part with their hard earned, you better deliver a theme they really, REALLY care about!

Where do I sign up? THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!

#41 5 years ago

The 1st Aussie pinball manufacturer.. yay

One T-BAG-LE please!!!

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Are you insane? TAF is a great movie!

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Technically, they will be built in China. Though I guess you could do like Apple... "Designed in Australia".

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

Are you insane? TAF is a great movie!

Each to their own. Sorry Rarehero

rd

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

One T-BAG-LE please!!!

What's that Richard? You want a tea bagging?

Deary me!!

rd

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

The 1st Aussie pinball manufacturer

Don't forget Hankin

#47 5 years ago

seattleLogo.png

#48 5 years ago

The simple fact for me is it's another new pin coming out and if it attracts some of the Thunderbirds fans out there to get into pinball it can only be a good thing for keeping the industry going. There are plenty of pins out there that are based on themes that i don't know or don't particularly like but that doesn't make them bad games. I personally think it would be better to focus on the thought that this could be a great new pin rather than being negative purely because it's an older show that some people don't know.

#49 5 years ago

Wtf is this gay nonsense?!

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Wtf is this gay nonsense?!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 9.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 10.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 2.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 12.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 27.50
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 1843 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 37.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside