8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

clark.jpg
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

Not new, but based on your criteria, I think FGY fits the bill perfectly....hilarious callouts, easy to just have fun with, mini pf for a cool toy....doesn't flow like SM, which (IMO) is a good thing to give you a nice alternative. The game also has deep rules, if you choose to explore. A fun, relaxing play for me....

WOZ would be the other choice..lots to do.....it is a shot based machine, however (like TZ), so flow is majorly different than SM...but the modes, gadgets, and things to explore are almost endless.........extremely fun, can be setup for long ball times, but can also be brutal depending on what you are trying to accomplish....

Just my 2 cents.....good luck.....

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from Flake:

I don't think any more skill than any other. It's just knowing WHAT to try and hit.

I think this is spot on.

One thing that makes Wizard of Oz different is that there are more elements that send the ball out of control. For example, every shot to the rainbow sends the ball out of control rather than predictably returning the ball to a flipper. That can make the game seem more difficult to experienced players, but I think novice players may prefer games that involve more luck, which can seem more of an equalizer.

So many pinball players bemoan the lack of women in the hobby. When a machine comes along that attract female novices, it ends up being controversial among existing pinball players. Is this any surprise? A machine that attracts a new audience outside the established fan base must necessarily be extremely different in some way from previous machines and thus controversial to the established fan base.

#53 8 years ago

I had to put 6 machines outside my bedroom as my wife hates walking downstairs to play. She plays pinball before and after work everyday.

Her Favorite is LOTR, 2nd WOZ, WCS, TZ, TOTAN and TOM. It's an addiction and once she finds one she loves she'll want more. When we were dating I bought her a Flash, then we got married and she got me a Star WARS and it took off from there.

I guess I'm lucky as my wife always loved playing pinball.

Have Fun!!!!

#54 8 years ago

If anyone asks me, any machine that will get more people into pinball is a winner no matter age or gender.
I love to play pinball, but I think it's played best as a social activity, with other people rather than by myself.

So got some new options here now, seems like WoZ, GoT, Ac/Dc are still in the play as well as the older tips I've gotten.
Damn, which is the best newbie machine that somewhat experienced players also enjoy?

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I had to put 6 machines outside my bedroom as my wife hates walking downstairs to play. She plays pinball before and after work everyday.
Her Favorite is LOTR, 2nd WOZ, WCS, TZ, TOTAN and TOM. It's an addiction and once she finds one she loves she'll want more. When we were dating I bought her a Flash, then we got married and she got me a Star Wars and it took off from there.
I guess I'm lucky as my wife always loved playing pinball.
Have Fun!!!!

Wow!!! very fortunate there!!!....congrats...

#56 8 years ago

She'll figure out the shots on WOZ. Road Show is another great game....hate to say it, but my wife has high scores on LOTR and Road Show and I cannot get the #1 spot.....Maybe I'll take the Glass off tonight and play

#57 8 years ago

The glass must go!

#58 8 years ago

Dude get ACDC! Premium version. Here's why:

Yes, the rules and scoring are complex. This is great for long term ownership. But, the game is very approachable for newbies. They love the music, the call outs, the cannon, and the bell. It's an easy layout as all the shots are easy to see, no obstructions. Yes, ACDC can be a drain wore and tough in that aspect, but bring your out lanes in and configure the bell shot so it doesn't go straight down the middle (sdtm drains).

My wife and her friend miss ACDC the most and both keep hounding me to get it back. And they both suck hard at pinball! But they love the cannon, the bell, the music, and the multiballs. It's a fun fun pin and the less you know about the rules, the better, cause it can send your mind into a tailspin lol. But that's what's great about acdc, you don't need to know the rules to enjoy acdc.

Hope this helps.

#59 8 years ago

Another great thing about acdc is its the best multilayer pin ever created. This makes it great for playing together with your wife and guests.

#60 8 years ago

All the ladies that come to my house love TAF.

#61 8 years ago

My wife who doesn't play pinball basically at all loves our IM which just came yesterday. Granted, she loves the theme but she truly had fun playing last night.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from brojd:

LOTR might be an option
I'm not really worried about "male oriented themes" scaring her away.
She's a cop and likes metal (actually saw Metallica more times than me) and as far as pinballs go I noticed her losing interest if the ball drains too fast or if the fun shots are too hard to hit.
Priority 1 is to make sure she can keep the ball alive for a decent amount of time and get nice fast ramps shots in sequence.
As for me I don't really care as long as it's a great pin

Metallica is a great game, smooth ramps, easy to hit sparky. Sounds ideal to me!

AC/DC too hard for newbies - Metallica is a lot easier.

#63 8 years ago

My buddy's with a Metallica LE mom will play it all the time!

#64 8 years ago

Damn you people, you're not making it any easier!

Allright, got an offer out on AC/DC Back in Black, if that falls through I'm back to square one.

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from brojd:

something just seems boring/em/wrong to me about this pin.

Hang on a minute.

On your very first day of posting here,you've taken a broad swipe at em pinballs.
Good job,well done.

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

Hang on a minute.
On your very first day of posting here,you've taken a broad swipe at em pinballs.
Good job,well done.

Yes indeed.
I've played a whole bunch of EM pinballs over the years, and I still haven't found a single one I really liked.

Might be new on this board, but I've been enjoying playing pinball machines for over 20 years.
Just a matter of taste, don't like them...easy as that.
And I don't really like people telling me what to have an opinion about either

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from brojd:

And I don't really like people telling me what to have an opinion about either

I didn't 'tell' you anything,just making an observation.

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from brojd:

Damn you people, you're not making it any easier!
Allright, got an offer out on AC/DC Back in Black, if that falls through I'm back to square one.

Whoa!!! Killer choice there!!....hope you get it...

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from brojd:

I've played a whole bunch of EM pinballs over the years, and I still haven't found a single one I really liked.

Then you should get the Back in Black. Or the Tron LE if you can find one.

#70 8 years ago

Never tried Tron actually, is it as good as some people claim?

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from brojd:

and some.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from brojd:

Better....the best..period.....if you can find one....

#73 8 years ago

Bad Cats!!! Everyone likes some Bad Cats.

#74 8 years ago

POTC is also another favorite among females other than Bad Cats.

Places I go to that have new games, Star Trek, WOZ and TWD get played the most by females.

#75 8 years ago

Your post said you were open on pins, so I would strongly suggest MMR! There is a reason its the number one pin of all time, it appeals to beginners and pinheads. The waiting is just about over, so you should be able to get one in a few months. POTC is a great choice as well(female friendly)

Between SM, Metallica and AC/DC, all are good choices. Have all 3, SM and Metallica gets played a bunch A/C D/C not so much, wife doesn't like that one at all.

#76 8 years ago

MMR is a possibility for sure, never played Bad Cats, better check it out

#77 8 years ago

Everyone has an opinion and they will widely vary. I always say try and play a machine and buy what is fun to you. Given what you have described as your preferences I would recommend a WH20, Metallica, or X-MEN LE. I love my Spiderman it is my second favorite game next to X-MEN LE. My wife's favorite game is WH20. Most of my friends favorite games are AC/DC and Metallica. AC/DC is a difficult game that tends to have shorter ball times for casual players. Metallica is awesome and if your wife can relate to the music then the theme and gameplay make it a contender.

#78 8 years ago

My wife loves metallica, so no worries there
Maybe I should five that a shot as well

#80 8 years ago

Scared Stiff seems be very popular with the ladies........ Q the obvious jokes!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 218.00
$ 45.95
$ 16.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pin-suggestions-for-sm-lover-with-picky-wife/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.