8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

clark.jpg
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Hi all!
First post here, and as tempting as it was to write S&M lover as it was, I decided to keep my premiere here clean from sexual innuendo.

Anyway, I' about to get a new pinball machine and my wife is slowly but surely warming up to the hobby and I'd love to have her get more into it.
After a while with SM in our house it's time for something new and I was wondering if you guys have any tips?

I really like SM, and AC/DC was fantastic the times I played it, but I'm afraid it's gonna drain to fast on my wife.

She said she likes fast and easy pins that doesn't drain that easily and I'm at my wits end here.
She's been doing quite well on Attack from Mars and seemed to like White Water.

I'm not really sure here but she's open for most things theme wise it seems.
Looking at Kiss, Metallica, AC/DC and Walking Dead right now, but not really sure which is best for one amateur and one intermediate player at the same time.

Some wisdom please, and if you have any questions, please ask

#2 8 years ago

The only game I've bought new so far is Mustang Pro, and I absolutely love it. I would not consider it a drain monster either, especially with the outlane posts set to narrow. I play it more often than any of the other games I own. If you guys are OK with that theme, I would recommend it.

#3 8 years ago

I'd like to give it a shot, but it seems a bit too "Old School" for me, a bit too much of a nod to old EM machines (which I don't like at all), but maybe I'm wrong?

#4 8 years ago

Wow...if Mustang is too "old school EM" for you I can't make any suggestions

#5 8 years ago

Any game can be set up to be me amateur-friendly. You can adjust the outlanes tighter, change various settings to make modes/multiballs easier to start/complete, change settings so free balls are more common, etc.

#6 8 years ago

I might be totally wrong here, never played it, but something just seems boring/em/wrong to me about this pin.
Theme is good, but the pin looks dreadful to me judging from the pics.

Might be totally wrong though, but I like a bit more gadgets and stuff happening on the playfield

#7 8 years ago

I'm going to give answers that most people will probably consider controversial. I think the critical part that should be considered is that your wife is:
1) new to pinball
2) a woman

Revenge From Mars
It's a bit unusual and controversial as a pinball machine, but because the design team really wanted this platform to succeed, they made the game a bit more easy than usual. A documentary showed how they made the distance between the flippers just wide enough to drain a ball, meaning that a reasonably skilled player can pretty much save any ball. A non-skilled player will do decently.

Medieval Madness remake
It seems your budget is quite decent, so why not try Medieval Madness remake? You might have to wait in line a bit, but this title has demonstrated wide appeal, making it a good chance your spouse would like it as well. It's not #1 on the Pinside rank for nothing.

Wizard of Oz
Say what you want about this title, but this is possibly the one title I have seen recently that has drawn women to pinball machines. I won't promise that YOU will like it, but there is a much higher probability that this title will draw your wife into pinball than Metallica.

Don't fall into the trap of buying what other pin heads consider good titles. The above titles have a track record of luring in new people.

#8 8 years ago

The Medieval Madness remake wasn't really among my plans, but sounds like a great idea, how long is the wait, and where to buy it from in Europe?

WoZ might be ok for her, but i tried 10-15 games and understood nothing!

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from brojd:

The Medieval Madness remake wasn't really among my plans, but sounds like a great idea, how long is the wait, and where to buy it from in Europe?
WoZ might be ok for her, but i tried 10-15 games and understood nothing!

Well, I didn't say that YOU would like Wizard of Oz! That said, many people (including myself) do not initially like Wizard of Oz after playing a few games. The amazing rules are what make the game. If you take the time to understand how to read the screen and what the objectives are, the game opens up. The best way to do this is to download the owners manual, which is available on the JJP website.

There are many threads regarding MMr and speculation on wait times. Rather than open that controversy here, I suggest you look at the existing threads or maybe post a question in one of those threads. Certainly we are talking about months, not weeks.

#10 8 years ago

With your criteria and list of newer Sterns, I would select MET from the list. Great art, awesome music, lots of gadgets, longer ball times.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from brojd:

I'd like to give it a shot, but it seems a bit too "Old School" for me, a bit too much of a nod to old EM machines (which I don't like at all), but maybe I'm wrong?

Whew; glad I didn't suggest Whoa Nellie. The thought did cross my mind initially when looking at the new machines available. Whoa Nellie actually fits your "old school" description to a tee.

As far as Mustang, I don't liken it to an EM at all. It plays fast just like any other modern game. I like the shots, modes, and the drop target bank, but as far as gadgets you are right it doesn't have much in that department. The one main toy does not interact with the ball. It's always best to be able to try out a game and play the title before you buy it, but I understand it's not always possible in certain locations.

#12 8 years ago

I'd skip all of those Sterns and change it up with a Funhouse. You can get a really nice one for what you're potentially gonna spend on any of the titles above & it's never difficult to unload one if you don't like it.

#13 8 years ago

I don't know if you are only looking for new games or not, but have you played a No Good Gofers? Mine is sitting right beside my Spiderman, and it's always a crowd favorite with newbies and experienced players. It's got flow, it's got humor, it's got a slam ramp where you can launch balls in the air, you can do nothing but make it a bash game if you just want to hit gofers (which is what I let the kids who come over do,) and it has an awesome lightshow for multiball. Some people say that it's a bit shallow, but I'm not the best player in the world so that's not really an issue for me. It has "play me again" appeal, and that's all I need. My husband likes it, but my mom and I really love it, so not sure if that's because we're women or because he just prefers his Spiderman.

I agree that Revenge From Mars is fun, but mine hates me so I can't claim that it's great for newbies. I've had two-minute games on it lately, and can't tell if I need to lower the pitch a bit or if I over-cleaned it, but it's more of a chore than fun right now. If you do find one of those to try out, make sure you can hear it as the humor is a bit part of it. I prefer it to Attack From Mars, but I've only played a couple of AFMs for just one game each at expos, and that was after I was used to the hologram effect on RFM. If she's already doing well on AFM, she might like the hologram aspect of RFM, plus it would seem familiar.

#14 8 years ago

I don't know if you tried WOZ with the latest update, but it really makes the game more fun.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I don't know if you are only looking for new games or not, but have you played a No Good Gofers?

Gofer is good...W?D is good

#16 8 years ago

I would also consider Game of Thrones as it seemed to be a long ball time pin that was nice n fast. Kiss can be a little more brutal but seems to be a hit with the casual players as well and not to bad if you tighten the outlanes. Given your criteria I'd suggest GOT, KISS, and maybe MET. MET is a pin I love but I wouldn't say it's the easiest pin out there to master. I'd say try and get some play time on the pins your thinking of getting if at all possible.

#17 8 years ago

Never played Funhouse or No Good Gofers, have to look into those, thanks.

WoZ is something i'd be willing to give a try, but it didn't feel fast to me at all.
Have to admit I'm a sucker for the screen and all the gadgets.

I do like heavy metal so Kiss, Metallica and AC/DC are all ok in my book (my personal choice would be AC/DC) but they're all ok in my book.
Are metallica ball-times a bit longer than ac/dc times?

And regarding GOT, I didn't even think about it, looks good, LE/PREM has the upper playfield.
Does it qualify to the "fast and easy shots" category with decent ball times for the amateur player?

Thanks for all the tips guys

#18 8 years ago

Have you considered a Congo or Scared Stiff? I'd also recommend Attack from Mars (but I see you already mentioned that one).

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from brojd:

And regarding GOT, I didn't even think about it, looks good, LE/PREM has the upper playfield.
Does it qualify to the "fast and easy shots" category with decent ball times for the amateur player?

I've only played the pro and it does qualify as fast and easy shots category with good ball times even for amateurs IMO. Many of the shots can be backhanded that makes it great for even good players. The catch on this one are the small targets all over the place that shoot the ball back at you on some missed shots which keeps it interesting. I'm not sure how much the Prem/LE upper playfield slows down the game but can say the pro was very fun to play and almost all the opinions I heard at Expo is that it was a fun pin.

IMO Metallica's ball times are a bit shorter than AC/DC. AC/DC has easier shots to hit as well but man do I love MET it's such a great pin.

#20 8 years ago

We actually played Congo the other day, first time for her and I haven't played it in about 10-15 years. But damn, i liked it a lot... She.. Not so much I'm afraid.

Looking to get something a social pinball in the living room that looks great as well, but congo is for sure on my to get list.

Now I don't know if GOT, ACDC, MET, KISs or TWD are the best for that purpose of the new ones?

Of the older ones (pre 2000) it's quite hard to get one in great condition.
Gotta get me a congo and an indy, and a sttng as well for the basement later

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I've only played the pro and it does qualify as fast and easy shots category with good ball times even for amateurs IMO.

Huh, I feel like it would be brutal for amateurs being like a NF that more up in your face and even more areas to brick. But true I don't recall ever watching amateurs playing.

This pinball that is

FOR me Met probably fits the bill the best. Sparky is a blast for noobs, and my wife likes the snake
She's even got to a CIU once so it seems like a good one.

#22 8 years ago

If I could only keep one pin in my past or present collection it would be Metallica. I have a couple of close runner up candidates though.

Concerning EMs, you really need to play and "figure out" a couple of good ones. They can be a total blast.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Huh, I feel like it would be brutal for amateurs

I can see it both ways but in reality those shots are WIDE open only real challenge is the targets. Even those that seemed to suck at pinball seemed to be able to hit some shots on it while I was watching. We all have our own take on things though which is why it's best to play a pin before buying I guess.

Quoted from brojd:

We actually played Congo the other day, first time for her and I haven't played it in about 10-15 years. But damn, i liked it a lot...

If you liked Congo odds are you would really enjoy TRON. Maybe see if the wife likes that one.

#24 8 years ago

Damn, now you guys are giving me too many options!

Never played Tron at all actually.
And Hougie, i really really don't like EM's, but with that in mind, which is the least worst? ;

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from brojd:

Damn, now you guys are giving me too many options!

Thus is the life of a pinball addict

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#27 8 years ago
Quoted from brojd:

i really really don't like EM's, but with that in mind, which is the least worst? ;

You should ask Markmon or Rarehero that. lol. If you group them all together without a title it is like saying all DMDs are like Shaq Attack.

I go with the older Williams machines with two inch flippers some of which run 50 volts myself, but if you prefer long flippers and a lot of speed and high scoring a game like Grand Prix or Hokus Pokus may fit the bill.

#28 8 years ago

TRON is OK, sort of an acquired taste due to its cheap build and lack of lamps, they should be making a vault edition any day now if you want to buy one.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

TRON is OK, sort of an acquired taste due to its cheap build and lack of lamps, they should be making a vault edition any day now if you want to buy one.

Don't forget the crap artwork. Everybody should just be giving them away.

#30 8 years ago

EMs aren't as satisfying as modern games if you are just flailing and batting the ball around but if you know what is going on, they are awesome. I own Quick Draw and I have as much fun playing it as I do any of my DMD games.

My taste is leaning toward the 3" flipper drop target games the most at this point. I haven't spent much time on the 60s games but that time is coming.

#31 8 years ago

I agree with Rarehero and see little merit in recommending a specific pin or a few pins. All pins can be made amateur friendly and easy. Even TWD for example has tons of mods to reduce or close the outlanes, decrease drains, etc, and can be made to play easy.

Pick a pinball theme your wife likes, and hopefully you, that can be characterized as playing fast, and rates in the top 100 (no need to measurebate any more as the rating system is pretty much useless outside of very gross estimates). Adjust the playfield as needed to make it play the way you prefer for ease. IMO, with an appealing theme and play, your wife and you should be happy. And such mods are often quickly added/removed/changed. Certainly all the pins you listed originally can be made to play easier and have flexibility.

#32 8 years ago

Out of the newer Stern choices, for your wife and you IMO Tron is the best choice. It's more beginner friendly than AC/DC, Met, Kiss or TWD. I think TWD is the best game for more advanced players, but it can be pretty brutal and turn off beginners.

#33 8 years ago

TSPP, everyone should own one at some time. I linked to it up top for you. Read up on it, its a favorite.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

My taste is leaning toward the 3" flipper drop target games the most at this point. I haven't spent much time on the 60s games but that time is coming.

That's the thing about EMs. They shouldn't really all be in the same category because they went thru significant changes throughout the years with different designers and manufacturers trying different things. And they made so many. I know which ones I like and it took me a while to figure it out. At the same time I do get bored with ones that others rave about. They are not all created equal.

#35 8 years ago

Can't go wrong with Popeye.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Can't go wrong with Popeye.

clark.jpgclark.jpg

#37 8 years ago

Allright, lot's to think about here, thanks for the input.

I'll be damned if I don't think you guys made it even worse option wise though

#38 8 years ago

Speaking as a pretty lousy player and as a woman, the newer titles I've enjoyed playing the most are TWD and GOT, with an edge to GOT for ownership bc I don't really want zombie noises in my house lol. Both machines have multiball modes that are fairly easy for a novice to stumble into, which makes them a lot of fun overall even if most of my turns end with quick drains. Both are also great playing machines for more experienced players, so you'll be happy too. I can see the challenges that people like in games like MET and ACDC, but most of the time I am still too clumsy to achieve those goals, so those machines frustrate me a lot more than GOT or TWD do. Two other newer machines that I find really fun to play are Mustang and Full Throttle, but those themes are a little less universal IMHO.

#39 8 years ago

DaWezl:
Thanks for your input, that's great to know
You ever tried Wizard of Oz?

Finally starting to eliminate some pins from the equation here.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from brojd:

I have, but only 3-4 times, so I don't feel like I have a good feel for it. My initial gut reaction was that there's a lot of visual flash that I found hard to play through. The last time I was on one, I was starting to understand a little bit more about how to play the machine though, so I enjoyed it a little bit more. (I've tried the Hobbit prototype too, and thought that has a better balance between the gameplay and the graphics.) If your wife likes WOZ as a theme, then I would definitely consider it--I'm quite sure I would grow to like it a lot more if I put more time on it.

#41 8 years ago

Allright, better find a machine and let her try it first then.
Thanks!

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

Speaking as a pretty lousy player and as a woman, the newer titles I've enjoyed playing the most are TWD and GOT, with an edge to GOT for ownership bc I don't really want zombie noises in my house lol. ...

This comment illustrates that there can sometimes be a big difference between what a woman wants and what men think women want. Any feedback or data from actual women regarding what women want is automatically worth more than any man's opinion.

I see just as many men recommending Metallica as Wizard of Oz in this thread, despite the fact that I have often seen many women playing Wizard of Oz on location, but I can't recall ever seeing a woman playing the Metallica next to it.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from brojd:

Allright, better find a machine and let her try it first then.
Thanks!

This is absolutely the best idea being thrown around.

My wife would love to have a TOTAN but I need to find a players condition, which seems impossible.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

TSPP, everyone should own one at some time. I linked to it up top for you. Read up on it, its a favorite.

Agree, Simpsons Pinball Party as good as any of the new Sterns and quite frankly with a color dmd looks as good as the latest sterns.

Deep enough to never complete but fun enough for anyone to play.

#45 8 years ago

Wife likes SM allot. She is very low key about pinball. Over the years she did not ask for but had hinted strongly for The Addams Family. I did not get TAF but after playing one for awhile it is fun. We went to Chicago Expo I think 2009 and she played a Guns & Roses and Crusin USA at the Pinball Life open house. She got G&R for Christmas that year and she loves it. I do not enjoy working on it but it is fun to play. We have Crusin USA/ World/ Off Road Challenge linked pair that she loves. Off road Challenge not so much. They have cup holders now so you Can Drink and Drive. She was not happy when I changed the G&R songs with a pinsound and it had problems with fading out so moved it to HSII and she likes that with more songs. She recently asked for Gorgar but does not care for the heart beat sound and her favorite pin is Flash. I have had a Flash since about 1980 that I paid 600 for back then as my only pinball for years until the internet. She can take or leave Firepower. She likes Iron Man, AC/DC, HSII, Stern Grand Prix. She did not care for AFM, RFM or Scared Stiff. She did not like Dirty Harry but let me know after it left that she had warmed to it. Not sure if any of this helps but it continues to surprize me what she likes. She does not follow anything pinball related.

#46 8 years ago

If Lord of the rings is a theme that appeals to your wife I'd think about that. Deep ruleset but easy to get the basics, several multiballs, variety of shots and a cool toy and last but not least longer ball times. Can't go wrong with LOTR

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from brojd:

DaWezl:
Thanks for your input, that's great to know
Finally starting to eliminate some pins from the equation here.

Just to add some extra WOZ insight...We have one. It's a hard game to figure out but even with that confusion, it's the one all my non-pinball friends (especially women and kids) seem to head to first. It looks great. The screen gives you a lot of information and once you figure it out it's a very fun game.

I would also second TAF. It's a fun game, it's not impossible but it's hard to "win". MM is the same way. Not impossible to understand, really fun, but hard to finish. As much as I love FH, I have to say that I seem to be the only woman I know that likes it - all of my female friends find it creepy. I'd make sure your wife plays it first, Rudy is a little hit or miss.

#48 8 years ago

LOTR might be an option
I'm not really worried about "male oriented themes" scaring her away.
She's a cop and likes metal (actually saw metallica more times than me) and as far as pinballs go I noticed her losing interest if the ball drains too fast or if the fun shots are too hard to hit.

Priority 1 is to make sure she can keep the ball alive for a decent amount of time and get nice fast ramps shots in sequence.
As for me I don't really care as long as it's a great pin

#49 8 years ago

Doesn't it take quite a lot of skill to hit the shots in WOZ?

#50 8 years ago

I don't think any more skill than any other. It's just knowing WHAT to try and hit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 218.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
$ 45.00
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pin-suggestions-for-sm-lover-with-picky-wife and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.