(Topic ID: 186589)

***NEW*** PIN STADIUM Pinball LED lights Mod Announcement!!!

By pinstadium

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5,688 posts
  • 471 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by pinstadium
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What do you think of the new Invisi-Shields?”

• Great idea (want them) 25 votes
    25%
  • Love them(own them) 48 votes
    48%
  • Not sure 26 votes
    26%

(99 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,203 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2842 (resized).JPG
IMG_2843 (resized).JPG
36584305-C388-4CD1-AB42-12C4BF29F146 (resized).jpeg
40926643-9BF9-4C64-B1B4-E2BE27B15B30 (resized).jpeg
07B0C612-E466-4369-B119-A413A831AD5C (resized).png
BDA18989-BE8E-4F9F-8E4F-DF7ADED04DE3 (resized).png
B6F2A7DF-CC79-4C83-B88B-8CC4709D22DE (resized).jpeg
E4B64838-744C-4E52-BB7B-8F4F37B22DEC (resized).jpeg
1C3DDB3D-F5D4-4CB4-B20F-F82E8FFC74C3 (resized).jpeg
F3233883-6F36-4427-90A1-8C3E652921DD (resized).jpeg
E7C96A59-8C85-4892-898B-FBAE43833AA4 (resized).jpeg
3FA8CC29-2941-4E7A-B093-31DEC66C958B (resized).jpeg
1795DD35-6DE7-471F-BD38-1139B7F16924 (resized).jpeg
pinball_mods_jurassic_park_pinball (resized).png
EB9C03ED-A279-42B6-8EB0-EAF087618908 (resized).jpeg
5639A653-D3EA-4C34-B02F-8D37CAF7673F (resized).jpeg

There are 5688 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 114.
#3301 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I've been late to the Pinstadium Party, but finally installed a set on my Iron Maiden Premium (before/after photos). Difference is pretty dramatic. Iron Maiden is woefully void of spot lights near the slings or middle of the PF. The stripping effect on the metal ramps is a little annoying, but not a big deal for me (guess the "photon merger" will help with this?).
Over the years, I've solved poor GI lighting with PinballBulbs Double Spotlight kits ($25 each). Pinstadium lights are a more complete, but costly solution to solving the PF lighting the problem. The product with all the bells and whistles is $279.90 (GI module, UV+Glow flasher color, Invisi-Shield). From a packaging perspective, I'd like fewer choices...the GI module is required and I think the Invisible-Shield should be built-in (one less thing to install). The choices add complexity to the buying experience and made me feel like I was getting "nickeled and dimed".
The photos speak for themselves, and to be honest, the game looks even better in person. I've purchased HD glass for some of my games and I've always been on the fence about value. Sure, HD glass is an improvement, but the difference for me isn't dramatic (which is kind of disappointing at $300 a sheet). For me, the Pinstadium lights are a dramatic improvement. My Iron Maiden "stock" glass seems to disappear with the Pinstadium lighting...didn't expect this "feature".
In any event, will install Pinstadium on my Dialed In later today! Since it has HD glass, it will be interesting to see the difference...
Thanks to Scott for his excellent product & support!
snaroff
[quoted image][quoted image]

Hey thank you very much for posting this up and I really appreciate your support for the product. I am sure the machine looks even better in person and I am glad that you are happy with the results. The Photon Merger will be what you are looking for with the light reflections that become apparent on some reflective objects, stay tuned for that.......

The reason the Invisi-Shield is separate is because there are many games that the Pin Stadiums would not fit on due to playfield objects, toys, habitrails, ramps, etc if they were one composite piece. Believe me I tried and the ones I tested right away proved this to be the case (CFTBL, BSD, WOZ, AC/DC, WH20, etc, most any EM, and many many others).

The Invisi-Shields needed to be durable yet flexible to be able to conform around these objects, so the only way to do that was to make it separate otherwise the Pin Stadium light bar itself would have to be that thickness (very thin) and it would have been like a wet noodle and in adequate to be able to mount/hold the lights and Magna-Mounts That is the reason they are two pieces.

With Orion's Belt I was able to combine it into the design due to the fact that it mounts under the Pin Stadiums in a much smaller form factor and that area does not commonly have playfield object obstructions.

I am glad that you were able experience the "Invisi-Look" glass effect that they deliver once installed. This dramatically reduces and in many cases removes any kind of glare. Once you put them on your DILE with the Invisi-Glass that comes with it you will think that you can put your hands through the glass right to the playfield.

Can't wait to hear what you think of them on Dialed In. Jack from JJP saw them on Dialed In CE at last Expo and he was very impressed with them on that machine!!

Keep us posted!

Scott
Pin Stadium
www.pinstadium.com
invisi_look (resized).png

#3302 1 year ago

I suspect when he mentions the shields he means included not integrated with the kit as it would in most cases improve the product result. Seems like even in cases where there are ramp/plastic/toy obstructions the user could trim/cut to fit in those cases around those obstacles. I too think it would be a value added to new kits to include these.

#3303 1 year ago

Speaking of features and improvements. Can you all let me know what things you would like to see in the next version of the Pin Stadium app? I am currently working on that in my off hours from building Pin Stadiums and Orion's Belt. This would be a great time for input on this and very much welcomed too. Ideas, changes, etc ???.....

#3304 1 year ago

Now is the time to hit me with your ideas and changes etc. I am deep into the code and have been for a while.

#3305 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Oh hell yes. I say you rename this to Orion belt! The hype would deliver! Can't wait

I think he should call it Andromeda's Bra. (TM bobukcat 2018).

#3306 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I think he should call it Andromeda's Bra. (TM bobukcat 2018).

Darn that's the best idea EVER!!!

#3307 1 year ago

I have a huge list but I know there are tons more suggestions out there that I have not thought of.

#3308 1 year ago

Glareguard optics.
Pinshades.
Stadium defusers
Stadium lenses
Hubble lense

#3309 1 year ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Glareguard optics.
Pinshades.
Stadium defusers
Stadium lenses
Hubble lense

I mean options and features for the app itself

#3310 1 year ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

I mean options and features for the app itself

And I mean the app is fine get to making shades! Lolol. I doubt you will find many customers or potential customers who don’t see this as the Primary upgrade/improvement of all. Build it and they will come!! Lol

Please don’t make me start critiquing that Invisglass whatever marketing image!!

#3311 1 year ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

And I mean the app is fine get to making shades! Lolol. I doubt you will find many customers or potential customers who don’t see this as the Primary upgrade/improvement of all. Build it and they will come!! Lol
Please don’t make me start critiquing that Invisglass whatever marketing image!!

Yes but “fine” isn’t good enough haha! I have some design changes and enhancements to make for the Photon Merger but for the moment it’s full on Orion’s Belt production currently.

I love your critiques by they way it’s what keeps this thread on fire

#3312 1 year ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

Can't wait to hear what you think of them on Dialed In. Jack from JJP saw them on Dialed In CE at last Expo and he was very impressed with them on that machine!!
Keep us posted!
[quoted image]

They really make DI "pop"! The "Invisi-Look" glass effect is more dramatic on DI (since it has JJP Invisi-glass installed), however the lighting difference is more dramatic on Iron Maiden. Iron Maiden is just more poorly lit overall when compared with DI. Note that I have brightness/white dialed up on both my games...

So...the biggest positive surprise benefit is the Invisible-Look glass effect. Glare is a PITA for those of us that love to play in the dark...

Very cool,

snaroff

IMG_0459 (resized).jpegIMG_0460 (resized).jpeg
#3313 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

They really make DI "pop"! The "Invisi-Look" glass effect is more dramatic on DI (since it has JJP Invisi-glass installed), however the lighting difference is more dramatic on Iron Maiden. Iron Maiden is just more poorly lit overall when compared with DI. Note that I have brightness/white dialed up on both my games...
So...the biggest positive surprise benefit is the Invisible-Look glass effect. Glare is a PITA for those of us that love to play in the dark...
Very cool,
snaroff[quoted image][quoted image]

That’s nice to see you got them installed and I think the colors in DI are very vivid and HD when you put them in that machine. I’m glad to hear that your glass disappeared even more.

Always makes me happy to hear someone very satisfied with the results!!

#3314 1 year ago

Some Pin Stadium love on my Radical

24CCB9B1-F969-4166-B3E1-4BB597C0E310 (resized).jpeg3A3B1DBA-5DB4-4902-A652-4A1D51E2C0B9 (resized).jpegB8AE89AF-16B4-44CF-A1EC-5FA9F7A5A857 (resized).jpeg
#3315 1 year ago

That looks amazing

#3316 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Some Pin Stadium love on my Radical[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow!! That’s is totally Radical because I rarely have seen them on this game. The only other one I saw was the Radical at Logan’s Arcade. I had never played that game before until I delivered the Pin Stadiums to them. It’s an amazing game and is reminiscent of the arcade game 720 which I loved dearly back in the 80’s. Very cool and thanks for posting that.

Radical is a very flowy game, smooth, and quiet!! Glad to see you picked one up zmeny

#3317 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Some Pin Stadium love on my Radical[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Can you post a before?

#3318 1 year ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

Can you post a before?

Definitely. I’ll have to take one though because the first thing I did was wipe the playfield and install the PS Lights.

#3319 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Definitely. I’ll have to take one though because the first thing I did was wipe the playfield and install the PS Lights.

Haha! I know exactly what you mean. I don’t even fire a new game up without them installed.

#3320 1 year ago

Some more updates coming to the website installation process. This is for the mounting of the light bar location:

--
Lower the playfield back down to it's level resting position and use the included alcohol wipe to clean just below the playfield glass track. Positioning of the lights will be 1/8th of an inch below the glass channel. Clean about 2 inches below the glass so not to pick up any stray dust. It will need to be very clean and completely dry before proceeding. The wipe is to insure the best adhesion for the Magna-Mount system that hold the lights to the side of the cabinet. This is a VERY IMPORTANT step as this will insure the Pin Stadium lights a solid mount. Take your time here on this one please.  Also DO NOT remove the other side of the Magna-Mounts from the light bar prior to installation.  The light bars are to be installed with them on for two important reasons, one for correct positioning and also for polarity of the mounts.  If you take them off and install them there is a good chance you will reverse polarity if they are not put on with the light bars.  If polarity it wrong light bars will always shift when you re-attached them and never go in the correct spot.   The two magnets fight against each other.

Notice here, I have roughly marked the length of the lights to know where to clean and positioning of the lights is critical for the best effect and clean factory finished look. The ribbon cable should be tucked just behind and under the back playfield glass receiver channel.
--

side_mount (resized).png
#3321 1 year ago

I have also updated the Transport Pack product which is for those of you that are moving your Pin Stadiums to another machine. This includs the HD-Magna-Mounts, Ribbon Cable Clamps, and Alcohol Packet: https://pinstadium.com/product/transport-pack/
transportpack2 (resized).png

#3322 1 year ago

Okay so the JJP POTC Pirates of the Caribbean (LE) installs with Pin Stadiums are starting! I am updating the website with installation instructions. Wow this game really benefits from the Pin Stadiums in a HUGE way and when it's lit up the artwork is absolutely stunning. Here is a picture a very happy customer sent of his playfield. The UV+Glow triggered from the shaker motor is the way to go! It's 12v and you simply use the wire taps to tape the Light Blue and Black wire going into the shaker. Thanks to the help of some good customers we were able to figure it out!

Scott
Pin Stadium
www.pinstadium.com

potc_pin_stadium_jjp (resized).png
#3323 1 year ago

Here is the full sized picture:

potc_pinstadiums (resized).png
#3324 1 year ago

Has anyone eliminated their spotlights because of the Pinstadiums? I really don’t like the spots in my Star Wars. Noticed them in the POTC in your pic too. Hopefully get my POTC next week. Any video in action on POTC? Are the spots still providing a unique light show different than the Pinstadiums?

#3325 1 year ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Has anyone eliminated their spotlights because of the Pinstadiums? I really don’t like the spots in my Star Wars. Noticed them in the POTC in your pic too. Hopefully get my POTC next week. Any video in action on POTC? Are the spots still providing a unique light show different than the Pinstadiums?

In all of my older WPC games where I added 5-7 spotlights to attempt to. brighten them (before Pin Stadiums) I removed them due to their reflections off the backglass/DMD and what limited GI they did proxies was no longer needed. They also were an eyesore and balls would commonly get stuck there too many times.

On JJP WOZ I pull all factory spotlights out and the 6-7 I had added myself.

On the Sterns (SAM and Whitestar) I do the same, but on Spike 1 and 2 machines I pull/disable the spotlights only by the slingshots (because they are used for GI) since the Pin Stadiums makes them not needed (they have no GI effect) and leave the ones that are closer to the back of the playfield because they are normally there to provide flashing effects. Plus they don’t normally off the back glass/DMD due to their close distance and angle.

For example Sparky on MET or the Sarcophagus on IMDN the provide legitimate visual effects that also do not reflect so I leave them.

So general rule is if they are used for flashers they should stay in my opinion and if they are for GI there is no need for them.

I hope that helps and maybe others can chime in on this to let us know what they do on there machines....

#3326 1 year ago

To help expand further on this. All games come with GI of course, but they are either flush with the playfield or a 1/4" above, never higher than a slingshot plastic, and when they are the spotlights mounted on a post they provide lighting for a "spots" which is exactly what their name says. Even a high powered spotlight/GI LEDs will only work on small section of game and then there is lighting drop off and hotspots everywhere and massive reflections (for spots) for the player off the backglass/dmd. Then to help fill the gaps you have to install multiple ones of these which starts a constant never ending race to chase the shadows and dark spots.

Bright LED's for GI under plastics or above on a game will only reach a few inches around and then they are highly visible in many cases to the players either direct or with reflections and for sure from the side for other players or standing next to machines. But I do see that spotlights for the effect of flashing being very useful and I think should remain as they are vital to the design.

I think I have touched on this before but Pin Stadiums were named that because when you go to a stadium the lights are always up top and the surround the playing field (AKA: pinball playfield). When machines come out of the factory from past to current it is as if you went to a football game and sat in the highest seats up with lights flush in the ground and some of the lights only as tall or slightly above the players. It would be impossible to see the game with dark spots, hot spots, and shadow everywhere!

I also love Comet Pinball LED's in my machines for the inserts and the GI. When I get a game with incandescent bulbs I immediately go to Comet and order their 2 or 4 SMDs for the inserts and the GI (all frosted of course). I think of the GI from the machines as beautiful accent lighting for the playfield which is really nice to have no doubt. Combining that with Pin Stadiums and you are covered 100%.

It balances out the game and evens the lighting fully, and also if your game has ever been accused of looking like a Christmas tree/rainbow look/GI fails the Pin Stadiums will remedy that immediately and you can still retain that accent lighting you had. I find it is simply the owner just trying to add some extra cool lighting and then with the dark sections in between on the playfield it causes that unfortunate effect.

The same with the inlays, if they are bright and the playfield is dark, that contrast makes it even harder to see than the factory incandescent bulbs.

With the playfield now evenly illuminated and you see that beautiful playfield in between those sections it makes it all come together for the perfect balance (even more so when you use the app to adjust the color and brightness). No more separate islands of color and brightness. I hope this helps!

Scott
Pin Stadium
www.pinstadium.com

#3327 1 year ago

Here is a good diagram to show what you can expect from GI/Spotlights regarding coverage

gi_spotlights_examples (resized).png

#3328 1 year ago

Then of course add inlays to creates even more hot spots

gi_spotlights_with inlays_examples (resized).png
#3329 1 year ago

For a live example (from my machine before Pin Stadiums existed) here is a picture of WOZ as it comes from the factory (I do have some led strips in the back by the castle doors and I did have spotlights I added that were disabled in the pic and later of course removed)

8DC71FD8-7033-4D69-94D4-22AADAE46D08 (resized).jpeg

#3330 1 year ago

Then after:

4D3AB816-1281-42D7-BFBA-74F4D5A2306F (resized).jpeg
#3331 1 year ago

This is a good example too and look closely at all of the disabled/removed spotlights, the are above the slights and all up and down the playfield. I had massive reflections off the DMD. I just counted, wow. Anyone want to play a game and guess how many are in that picture?

09996EC5-40D9-4BEE-B092-A6BECE87006C (resized).jpegE5D6FBD1-5870-4F44-894A-FBA9F289FF4D (resized).jpeg

#3332 1 year ago

I will give out a $25 gift card to the person that get's it right first. So the question is: How many spotlights were in TZ prior to the Pin Stadium install?

#3336 1 year ago

I counted 11 as well....so I am guessing 12 as I couldn’t see a lot in back where it was so dark!

#3339 1 year ago

Quoted from pinstadium:

I will give out a $25 gift card to the person that get's it right first. So the question is: How many spotlights were in TZ prior to the Pin Stadium install?

#3340 1 year ago

I counted 11 as well....so I am guessing 12 as I couldn’t see a lot in back where it was so dark!

Ding Ding Ding! You got it 12!!! And there was one that nobody could see between the flippers under the apron so technically 13! So I will give a gift card to you both!!

#3342 1 year ago

PM sent also with $25 Gift Certificate code too!

#3343 1 year ago

Here they are all 12 and the +1 making it 13! Good job guys. They are all now removed or disabled now

tz_spotlight_count_solved (resized).png
#3344 1 year ago

Here is the hidden booger (under the apron between the flippers) that I used to put on all of my machines. It used to cause a nasty glare on the pinball and got worse as it approached me!

247D6812-39F3-4E4D-8F2C-59C6558AD83B (resized).jpeg

#3345 1 year ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

Here they are all 12 and the +1 making it 13! Good job guys. They are all now removed or disabled now
[quoted image]

Now that I look at the picture it looks like "Pin Stadium" ring toss. I figured I should say it before someone else did.

#3346 1 year ago

I improved my TZ upper PF lighting by moving the overhead light. Worked great, removing glare and doesn't obscure the gumball view. Took 10 minutes really simple. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo handy. I added 6-7 well placed spots and it looked great, though not as great as Pinstadium, I'm sure.

snaroff

#3347 1 year ago

Okay here we go again. How many spotlights did I add on WOZ prior to the Pin Stadium install? (Don't count the 2 factory spots). $25 gift card to the winner of this. I will chime in when the answer is correct.

wozafter (resized).jpeg
#3348 1 year ago

10 if you're counting the two light strips added on the apron?

#3349 1 year ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

Okay here we go again. How many spotlights did I add on WOZ prior to the Pin Stadium install? (Don't count the 2 factory spots). $25 gift card to the winner of this. I will chime in when the answer is correct.
[quoted image]

I'll guess you added 6 spots, but i count 3 factory spots on mine. not 2.

#3350 1 year ago

Think I see 9 but not sure which are factory.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 249.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
There are 5688 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 114.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside