Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lever nut (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider okgrak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I've just acquired my first pins ( went for one and ended up with two) and I'm doing some repairs to bring them up to good health. I consider myself technically and electronically proficient, but I wanted to run an idea by the board to check my sanity.

My first repair is to fix the left slingshot assembly on my Getaway. I'm going to remove the assembly from the underside of the Playfield, rebuild it, and mount it back under the play field.

I understand the usual strategy is to desolder the connectors, and then solder back in place once mounted to the underside.

Is there any reason why I would not do this:

-Cut the wires approx 2-3 inches from the connectorsto the coil and leave the solder joint in place.

- Strip 1/8" of wire and attach a lever nut to the ends of the exposed copper. ( photo attached for reference)

-Remove the assembly, repair/rebuild, and then simply attach the wires at the lever nut. The lever nut is rated for 400V, 32A, and weights practically nothing. They also attach to the wires very tightly and there is no risk of them dangling off. I've used them for many projects.

This seems like a logical thing to do upon each repair ( but not to retrofit), and in the future if I were to have a problem with the same mechanism it would be a simple disconnect and repair. It also avoids having to solder and desolder inside of the machine in a less than ideal environment and angle. If I were to replace with a new assembly, I would simply solder the wires in advance from my bench and simply snap into place inside the machine.

Thoughts?
    lever nut (resized).pnglever nut (resized).png

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

From a technical standpoint it'd work, but any pinball tech is going to glare at you. (same with wire nuts or anything like that) If you don't want to resolder, the common way to do it is to use a molex connector: https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=46

Why would they glare at me? Is this just from a "purist" or "do it as it's always been done" perspective? Because I'm having a hard time finding any flaw in the logic of working this way.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

If the wires are in the connector, how can you confirm that there making a connection, and if you run into a problem, you can't see whats going on.
    It would just make it harder to trace a problem down.

I agree with you, but the downside seems to be outweighed by the upside. As in you don't have to ever solder or desolder inside the machine or in a really tight location....

I've also gone through 4 or 5 50 packs of these things working on various DIY projects. Never have an issue with one of them.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Because you're being lazy and using an ugly dangling connector instead of a factory one. Even adding a connector will get looks from some people but at least a molex is the proper connector for the job. Every connector is a failure point and adds resistance to the connection, etc. On my first project pin I added molex and I've never had to disconnect them. Connectors just aren't worth the effort. You don't remove components completely that often. Even for a complete mech rebuild you don't need to. The only time they're useful is when doing a full playfield swap.

I guess fundamentally I'm overestimating how often I will do these kinds of repairs.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider okgrak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pin-owner-newbie-type-question-about-wire-connectors-soldering?tu=okgrak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.