New pin owner !

By bushav

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Two years ago I built a great Vpin and turned my wife and I into pinball lovers. We’ve been hitting pinball arcades and bars everywhere we go. Three cheers for Vpins being the gateway drug.

For the last couple of months we’ve been itching for a real pin. This past weekend I finally got a Facebook market place poster to respond and we drove four hours with a trailer on a moments notice. We went to buy a Lethal Weapon 3. Owner continually called it “Legal Weapon” and said it only needed a fuse replaced.

As I walked into his shed I saw the gun was inop because two wires with a button were hanging from beneath the lock bar. Cabinet flaking badly. I replaced three fuses. Game GI comes on and CPU tries to boot but 1st LED never lights. Kickup solenoid locks on and beacon gets slower and slower until fuses start blowing. Disappointed I tried to produce some Lemonade. I got him down $400 more and got a Eight Ball and Fan-Tas-Tic thrown in. He had inherited machines from his brother. A pin pro would have probably walked away but I love projects and this is right in my wheelhouse.

Needless to say we are excited. Just ordered about $200 in parts. The two early machines play but need tweaking and wear items updated. “Legal Weapon” haha needs a little more but playfield and toys and backglass in great shape. I’m out of town for a week but can’t wait to get home, replace rubbers and get a volt meter on the Data East machine.

I’ll post pics later. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Lane

#2 2 years ago

Congrats! LW3 is a fun pin and you did really well with the Eight Ball.
Neither are in the top tier of pins but very good ones to start out with.
As you dig into the LW3 ask questions. The biggest and most common
issue would be battery damage on the CPU board.
Steve

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from zarco:

Congrats! LW3 is a fun pin and you did really well with the Eight Ball.
Neither are in the top tier of pins but very good ones to start out with.
As you dig into the LW3 ask questions. The biggest and most common
issue would be battery damage on the CPU board.
Steve

There were batteries installed but no damage. One fuse clip cracked on left flipper board. From my research here I’m expecting leaking capacitors on power board and maybe heat damaged connectors. Excited about troubleshooting when I get home. I think power board is issue. When you power up after it sits overnight it tries to play for a few seconds then DMD, coils, and beacon start acting like power is decreasing rapidly. I think capacitor is helping power board for a few seconds and then p..o...w...e....r......d....r...a...I...n.....I.......n....g

I just ordered flipper rebuild kits for other two pins to go along with new rubbers. Those pins work good but action is in slow motion due to weak flippers and hard rubbers. Spending too much money but the restoration is what I like. And of course playing my wife. I like the way she swings her hips every time she hits the flipper button!

#4 2 years ago

don't be afraid to reach out for help on here. I did when I got my first pins and got a lot of help. With Data East, always check the fuse clips. they are almost always toast. Nice job starting a collection with 3! and welcome to the addiction!

#5 2 years ago

I think Fan-Tas-Tic is a fun EM. It has a good balance of skill and chance, and there’s more to it than meets the eye at first glance.

Welcome to the hobby!

#6 2 years ago

Flakey connectors can cause all kinds of grief. Not just from being burned but just having
a little corrosion. Quite often just the wiping action of removing and re-inserting them
fixes things. For a while at least. Also cracked solder joints at connector pins on the PC
is very common. A good magnifier and wiggling the pins will tell which ones are bad.

Cap kits for power supplies are certainly worth installing as well.
You'll have fun fixing these up!
Steve

#7 2 years ago

I hope you got a good deal, and good thing you like troubleshooting. Curius though, did the seller not give you pictures? Seems like a lot of problems you didn't know about. Glad you are happy with the deal in the end. Welcome to the obsession.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from bushav:

it only needed a fuse

Ha!!!

...the check's in the mail.

...I won't ...

..nevermind. Advice? Make more room - pins multiply.

#9 2 years ago

The seller told me "It was working fine until I moved it I have a blown fuse somewhere". Must have been a rough move...

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSwanson:

Must have been a rough move...

It happens. A pac man cocktail table years ago on Craigslist said the same thing. Didn't work after they moved it. Moved it so hard the main board disappeared.

LTG : )

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

It happens. A pac man cocktail table years ago on Craigslist said the same thing. Didn't work after they moved it. Moved it so hard the main board disappeared.
LTG : )

Seller said needed a fuse. Sure, fuse plus board.

Cheers to OP though, you didn't get scammed. That's seems to be a big problem these days.

I would totally by a LW3 for the right price, btw.

#12 2 years ago

The blown fuse excuse is one of the biggest lies in pinball. It’s an inside joke amongst pinheads.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSwanson:

The seller told me "It was working fine until I moved it I have a blown fuse somewhere". Must have been a rough move...

Did you call the guy? That’s exactly what he claimed. Tennille GA was where I picked them up. Eight Ball had a bumper that kept kicking. He said “that’s attract mode”. It was a leaf switch with no gap. He also originally claimed it was Eight Ball Deluxe. He new enough about pinball to be scary. I’m happy with my deal I got. Throwing in the other two pins and lower price made up for the misinformation. And I’m saving them from ruin.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from bushav:

And I’m saving them from ruin.

Pinball Karma points for you! ...seriously!

#15 2 years ago

Hey OP congrats and kudos for reaching out and finding some older pins to work on and play with. Threads like this are a nice break from the usual "which NIB should I buy?" Welcome to the hobby!

#16 2 years ago

This thread is so refreshing.
Good luck and enjoy the hobby!

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from bushav:

Did you call the guy? That’s exactly what he claimed.

No, I just texted a bit with him. He never mentioned any other machines. Glad you saved them. Would love to see some pictures.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
Machine - For Sale
Hilton, NY
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kalamazoo, MI
$ 99.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pin-owner- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.