20130115_090230_resized.jpg
2012-04-24_01-32-02.728.jpg
20130111_174202.jpg
20130111_172453.jpg
20130111_170926.jpg
20130111_163921.jpg
20130111_130404.jpg
IMG_3816.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_faz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 11 years ago

RE: Issue #2. Just because a 9v battery moves the motor, does not mean that it's moving it to the proper RPM. Yes, 20V motor.

Pull all the optos (under the mushrooms targets too) and test them all.

You have the whole thing pulled apart...now is the time.

Also, run through your power driver board test points. Low voltage will cause your optos to act weird too.

Sounds like you've got most lined up already.

Best of luck!

I love my DW.
faz

2 weeks later
#46 11 years ago

It all looks GREAT!

faz

#62 11 years ago

Everything I think of is really hokey. IF (big if) you can cut that small collar off without damaging the shaft, you should be able to slide the big gear off. You may be able to get a thicker / wider collar and bolt the new collar to the gear and put in a set screw to lock the collar to the shaft.

Might be time to buy a new box.

Unless you know a machinist, cutting a new gear will be more expensive than just buying a replacement.

That stinks!
faz
btw... your box looks original. Multi-products made those gear boxes.

#66 11 years ago

I just had a thought. Try taking this to a local metal shop. See if they can tack weld the ring to the gear. I bet three tacks would do it.

#70 11 years ago

Well done!

Put it back together and FIRE IT UP!

faz

#74 11 years ago

The 'side to side' is due to a slight warp in the bracket. Check out the manual addendum on IPDB. It shows the 'canting' procedure.

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/738/Bally_1992_11_04_Doctor_Who_Manual_Amendment.pdf

As for the spacing. The bracket attaches to the MPF and the PF with screws that can be loosened and allow at least a slight shift. If it's not enough, you may need to elongate the holes in the bracket to allow that 1/32" that you need.

I saw your other post. Too bad about the sticker. I've not swapped mine, so no clue what to expect from Marco. Try giving them a call.

faz

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Also how do I reset the no CCW or CW movement test error? I ran through the miniplayfield test and it goes through with no new errors.

It's been a while, but I thought this message reset when you went into test. I'm sure it goes up and down, but does it pause at the proper levels: Flush, L1 (button), L2 (Dalek)??

It could indicate a bad opto at the bottom of the MPF; or connector.

faz

#80 11 years ago

Ah-ha! RTFM to the rescue:

Test 14:
"When this test is first started a warning message will appear. Pressing the "ENTER" button again
confirms that the operator is aware that the high torque motor can cause physical injury. During the test,
the operator must press and hold both flipper buttons to allow the mini-playfield to move.

The Dot Matrix display (left side) shows a front view of the Mini-playfield. The top line (right side)
identifies the eleven sub-tests. The second line indicates the current test mode. The third line shows
the "number of faults" or errors (from the feature audits). Note, pressing the credit button during this
test will clear the fault number (for easier detection of intermittent problems when cycled overnight).
And the fourth line is a status line, showing the current "moving", "kicking", "flashing", or "error" state."

#82 11 years ago

There are some circumstances where the MPF goes through a cycle at start up. Typically if the machine was not shut down correctly (out of cycle).

Most of the time, it just says "Free Play" and I hit the credit button and go!

If you are getting fresh errors...and it works in test, I wonder if there is a logic error. Any 'fuzz' around the CPU board?

Did you check all the TestPoints? Are all the values correct?
faz

#84 11 years ago

Come-on.... you fixed that gear box.

Just unwind the coil, paint the wire, and spool it up again

That stinks! What about the flip-side? Any closer on the CCW errors?

I forgot to ask. What happens out of test? If the MPF is installed and you push the balls into the locks. Does the MPF raise to the correct level? Then hit all the buttons? Go up again? shoot all three Daleks, does it reset?
faz

4 years later
#92 6 years ago
Quoted from triggur:

I came here to solve my own mini playfield binding problem and I bet the answer is here.

I collected a lot of MPF problem threads here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dw-mpf-warning-keep-hands-away-from-mini-playfield-tech-club

There's a log of good stuff.
faz

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 110.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_faz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pickup-dr-who-repair-thread?tu=pinball_faz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.