3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

Hey party people. I'm on my flight to NOLA as we speak. I am going for my Brother's bachelor party. I am sure at some point I am going want to sneak away and flip, so any tips on where to go would be great.

Staying on treme street, so anything within walking distance or cheap uber is preferred!

Also any recommended places to party would be welcomed too. I came here for mine 2 years ago, but don't really remember where we all went. Haha

#2 3 years ago

Let's decompose the key aspects of this message:

"on my flight to NOLA"

"Brother's bachelor party"

"recommended places to party would be welcomed too"

"I came here for mine 2 years ago, but don't really remember where we all went. "

My thought is Pinball might be in order after you find all the hidden tatoos, trace back what happened via the photos on your phone. Find the monkey.... you know... all the important things

Have fun! I'm going to NOLA in a few months with the family. More art/history/food.... not so much what you are about to do.
    faz

#3 3 years ago

a place called kabobs has about 6 pins. Maybe someone could chime in from the city and know more places.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Also any recommended places to party would be welcomed too.

Looking for a place to party? In New Orleans? Good luck bro. Maybe somebody local knows the secret spots but I was just there a week ago and I couldn't find any.

As far as pinball, that Kabob place is where you want to. It's in a gentrifying neighborhood on St Claude, you don't want to walk home from there at night. Not too far from where you are staying. I took down all the hometown hero's high scores last week so there will be a few for you to shoot for.

Don't waste your time at their barcade ripoff off Poydras all their pins are unplayable.

#5 3 years ago

Cool. Thanks gents. Depending on the games at that place you mentioned Levi, your scores may be in jeopardy.

#6 3 years ago

Now in NOLA. It's 9 am local time, place we rented doesn't allow us until 4 pm. Hmmm, what to do? Is it too early for a grenade? Haha

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Now in NOLA. It's 9 am local time, place we rented doesn't allow us until 4 pm. Hmmm, what to do? Is it too early for a grenade? Haha

Step 1: get off the fuckin internet
    Step 2: no really, get off the internet.
    Step 3: go to Coop's for lunch on Decatur street and get some fried chicken. It's a good place but not as good as the unwaranted crowds that will be there for dinner.
    Step 4: head to bourbon street and start getting all that bullshit out of your system.
    Go from there. You'll hear the same recommendations from everybody, tonight you'll probably want to head to Frenchman street.

#8 3 years ago

All my best experiences in N.O. were off of Bourbon street in some no-name bar or the other. Places that pour kick-ass drinks for a fraction of the cost of the watered down ones in the tourist spots. I don't recall ever finding any pins to play but none of the people I was there with would have played anyway so I never sought them out, we did have many great games of naked photo hunt though. If the weather is nice I do recommend Pat O'Brien's for a least one Hurricane in the outside courtyard - despite my earlier comment about watered down drinks.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

All my best experiences in N.O. were off of Bourbon street in some no-name bar or the other. Places that pour kick-ass drinks for a fraction of the cost of the watered down ones in the tourist spots. I don't recall ever finding any pins to play but none of the people I was there with would have played anyway so I never sought them out, we did have many great games of naked photo hunt though. If the weather is nice I do recommend Pat O'Brien's for a least one Hurricane in the outside courtyard - despite my earlier comment about watered down drinks.

LOL

"What I like about New Orleans is those no-name spots, not the tourists traps! So I recommend Pat O' Brien's!"

Well played.

At least Chuck seems to have stopped playing with his smartphone.

#10 3 years ago

Wish I knew earlier you were coming. I'm in Lake Charles this week sadly. PinChurch tomorrow night has a big event (concert and pinball). Contact Pinballhelp (his pinside handle) for more info.

PinChurch is great.

#11 3 years ago

I'll be in NOLA for a conference Friday June 10 through Monday June 13 with my evenings mostly free.

Following this to keep track of suggestions. Looked at PinChurch and that looks like a place I'd love to visit if I can get in... will have to send an email/PM.

#12 3 years ago

Went there for my own bachelor party back at the end of Feb. Kabob was lots of fun. Even my friends who dont play pinball much all really enjoyed it. Also, if you like whiskey try to make it over to Barrel Proof (bring a flashlight). Pretty good selection. Otherwise, we just bounced around a lot without a plan...which was kinda the plan since there are so many good places to drink and eat that you can just stumble into.

#13 3 years ago

Ok, I have a MAJOR complaint about kabob and the krewe of pinball.

The educational placard for Rollergames calls it "an early steve Ritchie design."

Early? He was about 13 years, 10 games, and 100,000 games sold at that point...

#14 3 years ago

A little bar called "Port of call" has a KILLER menu.... cheap too.

#15 3 years ago

Great suggestions. Keep em coming.

#16 3 years ago

Has the drunkenness started yet? Went in October last with the wife had a great time.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Great suggestions. Keep em coming.

Mr B's bistro on Royale for their signature BBQ shrimp. Amazing. It's a white table cloth place so try not to puke on the floor.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Mr B's bistro on Royale for their signature BBQ shrimp. Amazing. It's a white table cloth place so try not to puke on the floor.

Get the Gumbo Yaya. That and the Seafood Gumbo at Luke are IMO the best in the city!

#19 3 years ago

Oh and if you find yourself in the Warehouse District (not a bad spot for off-Bourbon St. barhopping), Vic's Kangaroo Cafe on Tchoupitoulas does have a beat up but playable The Addams Family. Played it there about 2 weeks ago. 1st time ever playing TAF for me.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from txx3ddq442:

Oh and if you find yourself in the Warehouse District (not a bad spot for off-Bourbon St. barhopping), Vic's Kangaroo Cafe on Tchoupitoulas does have a beat up but playable The Addams Family. Played it there about 2 weeks ago. 1st time ever playing TAF for me.

Really? That's super cool!! I didn't know that bar had a game. Tiger and I will go visit for sure now!!

By the way, I second whoever said to visit Port of Call. Have a monsoon, burger and baked potato.

#21 3 years ago

Dixie divas and live acts is next. Whoa baby. It's all coming back to me now.

#22 3 years ago

New Orleans! Home of pirates, drunks, and whores. New Orleans!

Seriously though, NO is one of my favorite cities on Earth. Great food, great music, great art, great architecture... it's a blast. I could totally live there.

#23 3 years ago

Thirdsies on Port of Call - we rented a cottage just a couple blocks up Esplanade from there, and it was our base of operations every day. Great place/people.

When you're sober, get an Uber and head over to Villalobos and help walk the dogs, or if you can't, just take the tour and flip 'em a hundred bucks. Life-fcuking-changing. http://www.vrcpitbull.net/dog/volunteer/

Quoted from 30FathomDave:

I could totally live there.

Been there in summer? I absolutely love it there, but no way I could live there - that humidity is stupid-nuts.

#24 3 years ago

As the T-shirt says: "It's not the heat. It's the stupidity." Try to find the pretty girl I saw with the shirt "It's not beautiful being easy" Remember that "The liver is evil. It must be punished."

#25 3 years ago

Bummer. Don't think I'm gonna be able to convince these idiots to go to Pinchurch tonight. Definitely hitting up Kebabs tomorrow though.

#26 3 years ago

Never heard back from pinball help about the concert tonight. Tried to find it on my own, but couldn't find a good address for the Pinchurch. Just took me to Kebab instead. Played there for a bit. Good lineup.

GI
    FT
    Wh20
    RG
    Jacks open
    PZ

#27 3 years ago

So I take it my high scores are all safe?

And that's Jacks TO Open buddy.

#28 2 years ago

Yep. Closest I got was Wh20 with the next best score. Fumbled a 5x playfield into multiball that would've dethroned you, but alas I only ended with around 600 mil. I think yours was a billion something. The rest of the games I don't know too well.

It was a good spot to just go chill for an hour and get away from the madness for a little. Might go back today.

#29 2 years ago

Those in other cities that I meet when playing pinball don't realize how well they have it - for example Nickelrama or the Webb Chapel Cinemark in the Dallas area are two locations that have quite a few machines to play that are in in good working order - allowing easy access on location to all Stern's released since Metallica thru Ghostbusters (Nickelrama at least has all of those plus a few more).

When I play a few games with others (while I'm out of town) and they note that there aren't many pins to play in their area I will fill them in that there's no place to play to play newer pins in my area at all (as there's just a few bars with beat up games) - it makes a location as basic as a movie theater arcade with 4-5 newer Stern's a nice option compared to , well "nothing"....

The next time I'm near the city (NOLA) I will have to checkout the Kabob's place to play some older games which I'll take (we were in that area near Christmas / New Year's but they were not open). If the games are in good shape we'll try to play our part and support them.

#30 2 years ago

Well, New Orleans is a "video poker" town and that shit just KILLS pinball. Why waste space on a pinball machine when you can have a little gambling parlour for the compulsive types?

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well, New Orleans is a "video poker" town and that shit just KILLS pinball. Why waste space on a pinball machine when you can have a little gambling parlour for the compulsive types?

true, but it sucks for anyone living in the area that would like to play some pinball on location

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hotdoggin:

true, but it sucks for anyone living in the area that would like to play some pinball on location

You should get in with the pinchurch guys. Not a location but sounds like a very promising local resource.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You should get in with the pinchurch guys. Not a location but sounds like a very promising local resource.

I've heard of the pin church. I work most weekends and am an hour north of the city, I think they are mostly geared towards weekend activity at the pinchurch deal but maybe there's some weekday events - as my wife has leukemia and is disabled as of 2013 & I work crazy hours my schedule is a little whacked, I sort of never known when I'll have time to play or can get over that way - I'll have to checkout the pinchurch deal so if it's schedule works (I'd really just love to be able to do what I do when I'm out of town for work - choose from a few locations that offer easy access to a few pins & squeeze in games after work in the evenings b4 going back to the hotel).

It would be nice if my $$$ supporting location pinball could be spent locally (right now I support others in TX and VA including buying our recent NIB game from out of state). Thanks for the reminder to checkout the pinchurch, maybe there's some time that it could fit into my schedule.

Note : What's funny is I found this thread by searching to see if Nickelrama had gotten Ghostbusters yet (yep, they have a GB Pro as well as every other Stern released the past few years, I'll be in the area for work within a couple of weeks & will get to try out GB).

#34 2 years ago

No pins but a cool bar The Blacksmiths Shop
    www.lafittesblacksmithshop.com

#35 2 years ago

There's two bars near Kebab that also have machines, St. Roch Tavern (70s Star Trek, a little beat up but playable), and Bud Rip's (Spy Hunter, in great condition).

#36 2 years ago

Following.
    Heading down in August and keeping an eye on what's good.
    Aside from pins and good food I'm looking for an off the main strip blues or jazz bar. The kind with the old guys just tearing it down jamming like you could never capture on a record.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from ryandimx:

Aside from pins and good food I'm looking for an off the main strip blues or jazz bar. The kind with the old guys just tearing it down jamming like you could never capture on a record.

Get to Frenchmen Street.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from scottslash:

Get to Frenchmen Street.

This is what all the locals say, and it is certainly true that Frenchmen is a better cleaner Bourbon with lots of live music...but the people watching is so much better on Bourbon street.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

but the people watching is so much better on Bourbon street.

This is probably the one thing I found myself doing more than anything else the two times I've been to NOLA. So great.

#40 2 years ago

Oh and the homeless meth head that taught his dog to lay like this ALL DAY. Haha

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.00
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Boards
    PCB Emporium
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 78.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.00
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside