Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Boof-Ed
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you be interested in a new Spinning Bumper replacement unit? Estimated price $200”

• One Spinning Bumper replacement unit 3 votes
    9%
  • A pair of replacement units 7 votes
    21%
  • Interested in foam bumper replacements rather than the whole unit 8 votes
    24%
  • Spinning bumper replacements & spare foam bumpers too 12 votes
    35%
  • Not interested, not a justifiable expense 4 votes
    12%

(34 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E921F0DA-06B4-4299-90B0-F39A861AC259.gif
O1 Motor Bracket Assy R0.pdf (PDF preview)
O1 Motor Bracket (resized).jpg
vsu (resized).png
tp104-01-00 (resized).jpg
178120D4-0004-43CB-A53F-25473C9CA7D2.jpeg
D2DBF088-7792-4E90-AC68-7741A40C51E7.jpeg
FB_IMG_1588701498916 (resized).jpg
IMG_1903 (resized).JPG
IMG_1902 (resized).JPG
IMG_1901 (resized).JPG
IMG_1885 (resized).JPG
IMG_1884 (resized).JPG
D7305A19-0B9E-4777-9C92-F324A1013900.jpeg
419D9705-81BE-483A-9638-866D2E7095E2.png
4F8A6603-3A80-4414-B587-2D9A06B6F44E.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Hello, I’ve been working with pinfixer on redesigning and remanufacturing new “spinning bumper” assemblies for Orbitor 1. These parts are just plain Unobtainium and I’ve spoken to numerous owners who have searched for them to no avail. Many of the original motors are wearing out at this point and suffering severe “wobble” that has caused owners to rarely play their game for fear of these parts breaking.
To all Orbitor 1 owners and restorers, would you be interested in buying complete NEW spinning bumpers for O1?
These are looking to be pretty pricey to make, so we are estimating around $200 each for these units. Since originally O1 was supposed to have both Clockwise and Counter-Clockwise motors we will be designing these new motors to be reversible, allowing an owner to simply switch each motor for the desired rotation.
I truly believe there is a genuine NEED for these absurdly impossible parts to be remade to help other O1’s survive.
Now since the “foam rubber” spinning discs are also beat and falling apart on many of these games we would look into reproducing them as well. That issue we will also be gauging interest for.
Please, spread this around and vote, it will greatly assist our efforts and provide a better idea for quantity of spinning bumper units needed.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those are C-frame motors. Have you looked at the Dayton branded C-frames? There are all sorts of configurations and sizes. They can rotate both clockwise and counterclockwise just be reversing the armature.

https://www.zoro.com/search?q=dayton%20c%20frame%20motors&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Torso_Converters%20Dayton&utm_term=%2Bdayton%20%2Bc%20%2Bframe%20%2Bmotors&utm_content=Dayton%20C%20Frame%20Motors&gclid=CIGcgbKFyeQCFUVRgQodBq0CRA&gclsrc=ds

There is also this company making C-frames.

http://gemsmotor.com/c-frame-shaded-pole-motor

#6 4 years ago

I was looking at them, last time you mentioned it however none of them seemed to match this particular one. I can contact the company and send them specs, but I was hoping to get more pictures or another motor to be sure this is the correct one before contacting them

I see. I thought you were in possession of an actual motor to that you could spec from. Still, it would not hurt to call and establish contact; They might be able to give you some ideas.

Hell, you might get lucky and find a contact who is into old pins. I know when I make calls like this the person on the other side gets friendly; They may not know much about pinballs but they know what they are and get real positive with you on the phone.

#8 4 years ago

I have one motor but it does not lineup with the standoffs on the bracket so I’m wondering if it was replaced back in the field at one time. It could be original and it’s possible the other bracket was different. That’s the issue, the amount of unknowns. I recently discovered the Orbitor 1 actually used the metal stern brackets for the flippers during part of the production run, however they switched and used plastic Wico brackets for most of it.
They were really trying to save money and use what they had during this point in the company’s history

Let me ask you this: How difficult is it, or would it be, to remove a motor assembly from a working Orbitor? From your pics it does not look like it would be too hard to remove. Pinside shows 62 Orbitor owners. Perhaps one of those owners has the mechanical chops to remove one of his motors form some measurements if it would not be too difficult.

Can you put up some good detailed pics of what you do have? I'd like to see what is not lining up.

Here are a couple I have laying around.

The one on the left is from cheap desk fan that was thrown away because the motor seized up; I cleaned the motor up and is working great. I don't know where I got the one on the right.

IMG_1884 (resized).JPGIMG_1884 (resized).JPG

They are used everywhere. I am trying to extract one from a broken kitchen blender at the moment.

And all of the "rain" lamps from 30 years ago use these motors.

IMG_1885 (resized).JPGIMG_1885 (resized).JPG

#10 4 years ago

I have considered that. I doubt any owners would like to remove this motor but that was my next route. Hopefully they can assist. I can post pictures of what I have tonight.
How do you clean them? The biggest issue is the bearings. How do you buy replacement bearings, how are they sized? I’m not very experienced with these types.

I'm no expert on these C-frame motors. My observations while shopping for one for one of my rain lamps are:

1) The thickness is measures by the amount of metal wafers in the stack. Some are 1/2 inch. Some are 1.5 inches, for example.

2) They have various RPMs.

3) They have different shaft lengths and styles.

4) From taking mine apart, there are no bearings. There are bushings. I do not think they are replaceable. Considering that the motors don't look to be all that expensive, I doubt there is much of a replacement parts market. You just throw the motor away and install a new one.

5) They are easy to take apart and clean up. And they are easy to get back together. But you need screwdriver skills and some mechanical chops. You can't be a klutz. But there is not much to them.

If you could get some good, solid pictures of a correct unit, I"m guessing a sales rep could help you out.

#11 4 years ago

This is all they are.

2 bushed brackets

1 C-frame with coil

1 armature

2 screws and nuts

IMG_1901 (resized).JPGIMG_1901 (resized).JPG

If you want clockwise, point the long shaft to your right.

IMG_1902 (resized).JPGIMG_1902 (resized).JPG

If you want counter clockwise, point the long shaft to the right.

IMG_1903 (resized).JPGIMG_1903 (resized).JPG

2 years later
#87 2 years ago

Did I say tomorrow? I meant tomorrow next week!!
I visited PBR last Wednesday and talked with Steve. He approved my post of this info, however, please don’t hold him responsible for this endeavor which is my undertaking. He will NOT be remaking anything for this, however he was getting pricing for BRAND NEW motors from Multiproducts.
We talked a lot about pricing and quantity, so I hope everyone who responded to my poll was serious.
These motors will be pretty damn expensive, I’m not gonna lie. This will take some time, but Steve is willing to work with me securing the motors then I will make complete assemblies.
If you want your original motors rebuild, Steve can do that for you, he rebuilds them and does a fantastic job. However if you want complete assemblies, stay tuned.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Right now the plan is to price out motors and get a committed number for interest. I have learned an incredible amount from Steve. After explaining some of the roadblocks I’ve encounter he offered such simple, 5-second solutions. I don’t see any further “issues” at this point aside from the minor opto difficulties (which Steve also has a solution for). It’s now a matter of actually getting these parts ordered and fabricated.
The rotational motors are actually different, so I was wrong. Apologies.
There is a clockwise and counter-clockwise motor. We’ll order half of each. Steve suggested 25 of each. I suggested 50, it is reasonable to me that many owners would buy complete replacements just to be safe because I highly doubt we will ever make more unless demand really goes vertical!
The only thing Steve isn’t interested in is the foam spinning bumper itself. The minimum quantities are an issue. We are seriously gonna be stuck with a crapload of these foam things if we order them. Right now, it’s not a concern of mine, if we have to order 500 foam bumpers, so be it. Hope you guys like spares!!
*At this point the plan is for me to create the assemblies, Steve has no interest and will not do it, period.*

I have been following this thread. It is impressive that you have made it this far and with a solution in sight.

Bravo

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-orbitor-1-spinning-bumper-replacement-interest-check?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.