New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 251224)

Orbitor 1 Spinning Bumper replacement - In Development

By Isochronic_Frost

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 86 days ago by G-P-E
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you be interested in a new Spinning Bumper replacement unit? Estimated price $200”

• One Spinning Bumper replacement unit 2 votes
    8%
  • A pair of replacement units 3 votes
    13%
  • Interested in foam bumper replacements rather than the whole unit 7 votes
    29%
  • Spinning bumper replacements & spare foam bumpers too 10 votes
    42%
  • Not interested, not a justifiable expense 2 votes
    8%

(24 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

tp104-01-00 (resized).jpg
178120D4-0004-43CB-A53F-25473C9CA7D2.jpeg
D2DBF088-7792-4E90-AC68-7741A40C51E7.jpeg
FB_IMG_1588701498916 (resized).jpg
IMG_1903 (resized).JPG
IMG_1902 (resized).JPG
IMG_1901 (resized).JPG
IMG_1885 (resized).JPG
IMG_1884 (resized).JPG
D7305A19-0B9E-4777-9C92-F324A1013900.jpeg
419D9705-81BE-483A-9638-866D2E7095E2.png
4F8A6603-3A80-4414-B587-2D9A06B6F44E.jpeg

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 months ago

Proof is in the pudding! I have always been serious about this project and I’m very proud to have some tangible developments.
Feast your eyes on the VERY FIRST EVER *NEW* Orbitor 1 Rotor Sensor board!

A HUGE thanks to pinfixer for making this possible.
These two are prototypes to test and ensure they are working properly.

Once we ensure these work flawlessly, they will go into production!

Pretty excited about these developments.
Once these are fully tested, we’ll talk about costs and offering just the Rotor Sensor board for sale.
Of course this is just one step, I’m still fully intent on building the entire motor assembly.
ORBITOR 1 WILL LIVE!

178120D4-0004-43CB-A53F-25473C9CA7D2.jpegD2DBF088-7792-4E90-AC68-7741A40C51E7.jpeg
#52 3 months ago

I need 1 but 2 please!!!! And then i just need the discs for one, but will buy 2.

You are a legend, i'll tell the tech not to make a new board.

#53 3 months ago

Awesome!!!!

#54 3 months ago

Just talked to Ken, he's already made the board for me, but he said the problem is it's missing the spinning shaft and opto reader disc. He can't make those.

Still in for two boards to keep the ball rolling so to speak until the shaft and disc becomes available.

#55 3 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

Just talked to Ken, he's already made the board for me, but he said the problem is it's missing the spinning shaft and opto reader disc. He can't make those.
Still in for two boards to keep the ball rolling so to speak until the shaft and disc becomes available.

The double axle will be an interesting part. I’ll make it happen somehow! I’m sure some small motor manufacturers like mentioned before will have options for me.

I’ve already got a second test machine volunteered to ensure redundancy in the results!
Wish me luck, this will be a moment of truth for my personal scratch built O1. Fingers crossed!

#56 3 months ago

Luck? You're my only hope at this stage.

AlreadyBetFourThousandOnYouToWinByAHeadPunkin

#57 3 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

Luck? You're my only hope at this stage.
AlreadyBetFourThousandOnYouToWinByAHeadPunkin

Oh these will definitely work! Even if we have to redesign the board, which I doubt.
Luck moreso for my franken-pin Orbitor. It’s using a Magic transformer, Lightening Harness and everything else is cobbled together by pieces and parts. Theoretically it’s all correct.

Pins don’t always care about theory, I’ve had Stern MPUs give up the ghost whenever they feel like it!

3 weeks later
#58 3 months ago
Quoted from MarkG:

If you just picked a robust off the shelf motor could you detect a ball hit by monitoring the current draw of the motor rather than reproducing the disc and opto board? The solution they chose in the 80s might not be the best choice today. Sensors and microcontrollers are hobby level technology these days and might be a lot cheaper and easier to sort out than having a custom motor made.
A quick search turned up a bunch of current sensing options at: http://henrysbench.capnfatz.com/henrys-bench/arduino-current-measurements/
I don't know what kind of current change the motor might show but this might be an easier approach if the sensor is sensitive enough.
Or, if any part of the rotor is visible, you might be able to build a tachometer with an IR LED and receiver and a microcontroller. This too might be easier than a custom motor.
I could help out if these options are interesting.
/Mark

I'm an EE, yes current draw would work and be very easy to implement. Even in analog electronics, although a PIC or other microcontroller could possibly make it more interesting. You could sent multiple pulses to the switch matrix based on the strength of the hit for example. I'd make a mod like this if I had the time, but my job never lets me have any free time anymore. I do plan to someday add some multicolored lighting under the playfield and have it key off the bumper hits. Maybe add undercab lighting. Could make for a cool effect. I know this game gets a lot of hate in the forums, but its always a favorite whenever we have guests.

#59 3 months ago

Yes, I could use some discs too. Motors, bumpers, discs, sensor boards, playfield, the bubble backglass cover, just about everything.

#60 86 days ago

Haven't checked the thread in a while but I was excited to see the pics of the new boards.
Keep up the good work

#61 86 days ago
Quoted from mamawaldee:

I'm an EE, yes current draw would work and be very easy to implement. Even in analog electronics, although a PIC or other microcontroller could possibly make it more interesting. You could sent multiple pulses to the switch matrix based on the strength of the hit for example. I'd make a mod like this if I had the time, but my job never lets me have any free time anymore. I do plan to someday add some multicolored lighting under the playfield and have it key off the bumper hits. Maybe add undercab lighting. Could make for a cool effect. I know this game gets a lot of hate in the forums, but its always a favorite whenever we have guests.

I haven’t updated yet but the boards were sent back for tweaking. The power was getting to the motor and everything was operating, but the bumpers weren’t scoring or registering at all. Unfortunately the horseshoe opto went obsolete basically when they made this game, so we tried 2 different styles you’ll notice. Neither worked.
We may have to switch the method we use regardless. We shall see. Hoping we can source a new opto but I will tell him that we can use something different, ie current sensing.

#62 86 days ago

Suggestion if changing board - how about sizing the test point hole for one of these? Most people testing these like clip on test points instead of just a pad. Probably black would fit best on that board -- part number TP104-01-00. Requires a 0.063" hole, they're about 10 cents each.

tp104-01-00 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 149.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside