5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Wallofnoise
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

landfill (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190923_180335 (1) (resized).jpg

#1 5 months ago

Just wondering if anyone else has caught this series on the history of the video game industry? It’s really well done I’m enjoying it, I’m on episode 5 Right now. There’s not a lot of pinball Though

#2 5 months ago

I haven't watched it yet, but it's up next in my queue.

I heard they mention Mikado Game Center in Tokyo, where they happen to have a few pins (some of the only ones in the city as far as I know). I happened to visit there with my girlfriend last fall, really cool classic arcade.

IMG_20190923_180335 (1) (resized).jpg

#3 5 months ago

Congrats on the girl

#4 5 months ago

I watched all of them on the 19th very well done

#5 5 months ago

Yes, I started watching it the other day. On episode 4 or so. I think it is well done. Learning some things I never knew before. Need to see the rest before I comment on things that may just have not been covered yet.

#6 5 months ago

My wife actually asked to watch this the other night- I may have a keeper!

#7 4 months ago

Binged the series this weekend, it was Produced very well.
    Enjoyed the first half more because that’s my era, but it was all interesting.
    Loved all the creative people that are so passionate about the work they did.

#8 4 months ago

I've been taking my time and savoring it. I've always loved gaming history. If you enjoy the doc I highly recommend:

"Console Wars" by Blake Harris (the audiobook is fantastic too)

"The Ultimate History of Video Games: From Pong to Pokemon" (which is almost 20 years old now!)

#9 4 months ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Just wondering if anyone else has caught this series on the history of the video game industry?

Ok, looks good, will give it a try.

Quoted from nogoodnames222:

I heard they mention Mikado Game Center in Tokyo, where they happen to have a few pins (some of the only ones in the city as far as I know).

I think you are right, Pinside map shows only a few other places to play in Tokyo, with few games. Silverball Planet in Osaka has about 100 games though, probably the biggest place in Japan for Pinball.

#10 4 months ago

Yep, binged it last week. Enjoyed it.

#11 4 months ago

It’s quite good - I think they had to skip a TON of information in order to squeeze it to 6 episodes, but I really liked hearing new stories for once! Most of these documentaries recount the same stories over and over but there was some genuine new info in there! The Jerry Lawson section was really interesting in particular.
    Wish we could have seen more of Lord Brittania’s house, including all the secret passages and rooms!

#12 4 months ago

I'm watching with my Grankids this morning.

#13 4 months ago

I enjoyed it except the role play episode.

#14 4 months ago

The Video Game Years on Amazon is fun to watch as well.

#15 4 months ago

I've only just begun to watch it . Interesting hearing the inventor of Space Invaders , I never knew the alien ships were squids and Octopus's .

#16 4 months ago

Doug Macrae featured in episode 1 is my cousin!

#17 4 months ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I enjoyed it except the role play episode.

How come ?

#18 4 months ago

I hope theres a second season that tells more stories from the 70s to 90s arcades. They could do pinball, skeeball, foosball ect.

Then a third season going from the 90s into the present. With the rise of ticket redemption games, decline of arcades and now into Barcades

#19 4 months ago

Just watched the first episode. It was pretty good, well edited. Kudos to Howard Scott Warshaw for telling the Atari ET story. I remember when the story about these games being dumped at a landfill and were later excavated (Alamogordo, New Mexico).

landfill (resized).jpg
    #20 4 months ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I hope theres a second season that tells more stories from the 70s to 90s arcades. They could do pinball, skeeball, foosball ect.
    Then a third season going from the 90s into the present. With the rise of ticket redemption games, decline of arcades and now into Barcades

There is a TON of story left. The last 2 episodes felt like they were terribly rushed, edited down to fit the 45 minute length (or whatever it was) . The good news is that show has been a pretty big hit

#21 4 months ago

I love these Netflix documentaries! Thought it was fantastic! Definitely brought me back!

#22 4 months ago

Excellent series. More please.

#23 4 months ago

The next season needs to cover The downfall of SEGA and how Nintendo screwed over Sony with the CD system, causing them to join the industry. Can’t wait.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 79.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Arcade Upkeep
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.00
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 20.00
    Rubber/Silicone
    Starcade Amusement
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 68.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 100.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Flipper Room
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 119.99
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 38.00
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 126.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 6.00
    $ 214.99
    $ 259.99
    Pinball Machine
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    £ 89.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 259.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside