5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by BobC
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from jungle:

The P3 price may be in line with other pinball manufacturers. That's the problem. You are only going to sell to pinball people in the short and medium term and probably long term as well. Who else is going to spend $10,000 ?

Well, once again - the current "maybe" price is $5,000 per game for the two-games-in-one-cabinet option. But yeah, anything-thousands-of-dollars is going to be sold to people that are already into it or people that have enough money that dropping that kind of cash on expensive things that they are mildly interested in is is regular thing.

There's also the operator angle though. Being able to swap out a dated theme like CSI for Walking Dead and being able to cover the costs in a fraction of the time has to be appealing. Heck, just being able to stick a couple "games" in the trunk of your car and swap them around between bars or whatever on your route until you can figure out what works would be awesome. We'll see if it works.

#52 5 years ago

I wish this venture all the best and what has already been done technically has to be admired. But playing devil's advocate I don't think it's going to make enough appeal either to the collector , the non-pinhead home owner or the operator.

You can make these games as portable/changeable as you like but you have to get people on location to put money in the machine. This has got difficult over the years. Everything will have to be just right. If people want to pay to play a pinball machine it must be the best of the best in every respect. Anything that is a video game with a ball won't pull in the money.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from jungle:

Anything that is a video game with a ball won't pull in the money.

YAWN! God how many times do people have to point out this is not a video game? Video screen playfield does not equate to video game. Doesn't mean you have to like the game or the format, but please let's stop mis-categorizing this already.

Just in case anyone's wondering, WOZ and TH are not video games either, even though they have video backglasses.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

Would love to hear thoughts of those wanting to design their own games of how you would tackle what looks like a mammoth task.

As one of those guys; I can tell you it is a monumental task - as I look at it from the beginning.
    I'm already taking a Unity3D web course to get a leg up on the 3D programming aspects. I already have a theme in mind. Now my life needs to settle down enough so that I can spend some time on the project.

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from jungle:

If people want to pay to play a pinball machine it must be the best of the best in every respect.

This is the best of the best in every respect. As far as I can see no other pinball company has put as much thought into the design of every aspect of the machine. They have completely redesigned everything and it has taken a long time, they have been working on it for at least 4 years and the control system for some time before that.

I think the only other company that is really innovating is Heighway. Both Multimorphic and Heighway have completely redesigned pinball as we know it and both have modular systems. If you look at Stern, JJP, Spooky and even Dutch pinball, yes, they all have certain components which are new but the platform remains essentially the same. Only a select group are going to be able to afford the space and money to continue to purchase games from these companies. Homepin is still unknown at this point but he seems to be going even more old-school than Stern or JJP.

Once several games come out for both the Heighway and P3 systems I think the impetus for people to get on board with one or the other will be very strong. They might end up competing like VHS and Beta to determine which will become dominant or people may have both a P3 and a Heighway machine in their house and many games for each.

Heighway seems to have the upper hand at the moment because the Alien license has really pushed them along but once Multimorphic secures a big license I think people will embrace the system. I believe that the possibilities with the P3 are so great that once it gets going it will build momentum very quickly.

Quoted from jungle:

Anything that is a video game with a ball won't pull in the money.

On the contrary, I think the video aspect of the game (the dynamic and interactive playfield art) is precisely what will draw people to this game, especially younger players. Look at how the LCD screen has drawn people to WOZ and the P3 playfield LCD is much more interactive. I hope that Multimorphic considers adding backbox LCD as well (displaying different content and information to that on the playfield) in the future, I believe that would further the appeal of the game to new players. Traditional pinball people may or may not embrace it but non-pinball people are a much larger potential pool of players.

I also think that once the benefits for operators become clear (easier servicing, cleaning, etc.) people will be interested in putting these on location.

#56 4 years ago

Very optimistic replies and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. My view is that for the home market non-pinball customers to get sales in the low thousands you would have to be little more than $2000. So if I am right the figure of $10,000 is not just too much but way too much. It's nearly all pinheads that pay current pinball prices. Gerry at the TPF said they are looking to build around 100 machines for the first run. Clearly there aren't many orders from the "outside world "

The bottom line is the pinball community have to like this in a big way for the momentum to be built. They largely gave the thumbs up and their money to JJP. But there are beautiful pinball playfields and toys under the backbox LCD. The P3 hasn't yet got the latter but would need one for operators and that's more money.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from jungle:

Gerry at the TPF said they are looking to build around 100 machines for the first run. Clearly there aren't many orders from the "outside world "

I did indeed reference a first run of 100 machines, but trying to draw conclusions about order numbers and potential market size from that will likely (and did) lead you to incorrect ones. In fact, your guesses for the requisite price of machines and our potential market don't match our research at all.

You've hopefully noticed by now that we're doing things differently than how other MFGs are doing things. If we had raised millions of dollars in pre-order money, we'd still be doing things just as we are, because that money would be unrecognized revenue that couldn't be spent. Pre-order customers are just that... customers. They're not investors.

That said, we made the decision a while back to stop taking paid pre-orders. Since we're not spending pre-order money, there's really no good reason to take it. (There are a number of bad reasons to take it). We have a strong enough belief in our product that we're committed to getting it to production before requesting money. Feedback so far (mostly at shows where people can play the machine) has supported our beliefs. We're also continuing to take no-risk, no-money-down pre-orders. They result in what is effectively an "interested party" list. Trying to guess how many on that list will convert to real orders is guesswork at best, but it shows real interest in our product and our vision.

Related to the size of the first run... it's all about growth management. Even if we had 1000 paid-in-full orders on the books, we'd still do a first run of 100 or smaller. A new manufacturing endeavor is a learning process, and mistakes will be made. In our case, we're reducing risk (financial and operational) by leveraging contract manfacturers... organizations that build products for a living. We'll still have to teach them how to build or machines and babysit them through the process, and mistakes will still be made. Hopefully we eliminate a lot of potential issues in our small pre-production run, but mistakes will still be made in production. Building 250+ machines in a first run would be a terrible decision. I'd much rather deal with mistakes on a relatively small run than on a large one (mind you, 100 is still pretty big).

Scaling up to significantly higher numbers won't be an issue. Our CMs are chosen partly because of their ability to adapt and scale.

- Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

#58 4 years ago

Gerry , best of luck with the project. I do believe in the product if all the numbers can be made to add up. Of course it will depend on how many people that didn't ever want a Stern (or JJP ) pinball in their house will want a P3 for at least the same initial outlay.

1 week later
    #59 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

YAWN! God how many times do people have to point out this is not a video game? Video screen playfield does not equate to video game. Doesn't mean you have to like the game or the format, but please let's stop mis-categorizing this already.
    Just in case anyone's wondering, WOZ and TH are not video games either, even though they have video backglasses.

You got peanut butter on my chocolate!

You got chocolate in my peanut butter!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 74.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pin Monk
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 9.90
    Playfields
    The Super Fasteners
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside