Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 183 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-985.jpg
    image-249.jpg
    4070394586_b7f24435b1_z.jpg
    flag-c.jpg
    Hartman.gif
    R2-D2.jpg
    image-221.jpg
    image-25.jpg
    image-274.jpg
    image-793.jpg
    blondtall police sm.jpg
    grammar.jpg
    shark-tank-apps-2.jpg
    little-larry-sellers.jpg
    Is_This_Your_Homework_Larry-577.jpg
    image-546.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 183 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 7 years ago

Hello Pinside! As you probably already guessed from the topic title, I'm looking to add one or more moderators to the Pinside team...

...and YOU could be exactly who we are looking for!

Have you been a Pinside member for at least a year? Do you have a clean track record for being a nice, calm, levelheaded guy or girl with common sense? Are you honest, fair, precise and do you always try to treat everyone respectfully? Are you considerate, knowledgeable, handy with your web browser? Do you have good grammar, spelling and syntax skills? Do you have the right personality? Can you take some verbal abuse? Are you even tempered, likeable, and fair minded? Do you have the time to commit to being a moderator? DO YOU LOVE PINBALL?

If you answered yes to all of these questions then go ahead and send me a PM!

Your PM should contain a little something about yourself, where you are located (timezone) and why you think you would make a great addition to the Pinside moderation team. Maybe you even have an idea how your being a moderator could improve the Pinside? Pitch your ideas! Etc.

This is a completely voluntary position with bad hours and no pay. But it also a chance to be a part of and contribute to the largest pinball community on the web and to help promote pinball around the world. Well, that's what we're trying to do here anyway!

Note: Please do not expect an answer back! I have no idea how many people are going to respond to this (haha, maybe no one will) but just to be on the safe side I'm telling you this upfront. You may not be chosen, even if you personally think you make the best possible candidate ever. You may be disappointed by not hearing back. Just thought you should know.

All applications will be treated as fully confidential but your application may be read by one of the moderators as I will ask them for their recommendations.

Please don't post your application/candidacy in this forum topic. Only via PM please.

#4 7 years ago

Just a short follow up!

Those who have applied so far: Thanks! I have not yet reacted to any application (busy with work) but will as soon as I get a chance.

I would also love to have a moderator from Australia or New Zealand on board because of the 12 hour difference and since there are quite a lot of you Aussies and Kiwi's on here nowadays. So if you're from way over there, belong to that local "scene" and fit the above job description, do not hesitate to apply!

#5 7 years ago

This is cool! Without mentioning names, I wouldn't want to offend or leave out anyone, there are a TON of GREAT people who would make awesome mods. The current mods sure could use some help. They really do have a challenging job at times and I appreciate the time they give/donate to make Pinside the best site in the hobby. Good luck to all applying and good luck choosing Robin.

#6 7 years ago

ya I have been a mod on another big board for many years and it's interesting to say the least

#7 7 years ago

Well I'm not qualified but I know this guy.......
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gerry-for-moderator

#8 7 years ago

...I'd love to, Robin...but Pinside would be half the size...

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I'd love to, Robin...but Pinside would be half the size.

#10 7 years ago

I once stayed at a Holiday Inn.

Kim

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

You get my vote....back to the good old days

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I would also love to have a moderator from Australia or New Zealand on board

I nominate rotordave!

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Kim

Lmao

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Was it a Holiday Inn Express?

#18 7 years ago

Some tips on looking for a new mod!

Make sure they are not a Boomer!
    Make sure they are not from a small town somewhere in the midwest!
    Make sure they do not attend church!
    Make sure they are not part of the Political correctness brigade!
    Make sure they attend pinball events!

Follow those tips and your new mod will be cool!

You really do not want a mod who is Lock and Ban happy and Censors and enforces rules based on there own conservative morals!!

Usually new mods get carried away with there new powers and go a little bit crazy.lol

#19 7 years ago

Looking forward to new moderator HondaNut.

#20 7 years ago

A mod from down under sounds like a great idea.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Flavours:

You really do not want a mod who is Lock and Ban happy and Censors and enforces rules based on there own conservative morals!!
    Usually new mods get carried away with there new powers and go a little bit crazy.lol

discriminate much?

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Flavours:

And large breasts.

Kim

#23 7 years ago

Then it can be a man or a woman.

#24 7 years ago

Can I moderate the X-Men thread?

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

And large breasts.
    Kim

I'm all for mods with large breasts

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

A mod from down under sounds like a great idea.

applied, makes sense when you guys are asleep we are awake and visa versa

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mato:

applied, makes sense when you guys are asleep we are awake and visa versa

Moderators are not allowed to sleep. You must be here 24/7.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from Flavours:

Well, you've just eliminated most of the people I know--and myself.

#30 7 years ago

Is not old enough yet <<<<<<

#31 7 years ago

Do you have to be a WOZ owner ?

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Moderators are not allowed to sleep. You must be here 24/7.

haha its 1am and I'm alive as a rattlesnake Zzzzz

#33 7 years ago

Some comments within this thread are funny, others are downright rude IMO. Let's keep it classy and respectful. TY. I'll stop there.

#34 7 years ago

Whoah, my mailbox has exploded today! For now, I think it's best to stop sending in your applications. I'll need some time to read through the message I got. Could take a while. Stay tuned, announcements in this thread.

Quoted from spfxted:

I keep telling you that your idea to animate all text on the site is probably too much.

Quoted from Mr68:

And large breasts.

Uhm... That could be useful in some cases where heavy moderation is needed.

Quoted from McCune:

Do you have to be a WOZ owner ?

Preferably not

Quoted from Flavours:

Thanks for the tips, your list is rather polarising and an example of the train of thought I am trying to avoid Although I do agree that attending pinball events is a plus.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Do you have a clean track record for being a nice, calm, levelheaded guy or girl with common sense?

Quoted from robin:

Do you have good grammar, spelling and syntax skills?

Quoted from robin:

Are you even tempered, likeable, and fair minded?

Bad news for gerry.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Some comments within this thread are funny, others are downright rude IMO. Let's keep it classy and respectful. TY. I'll stop there.

I see what you did there.

#37 7 years ago

First rule of online forums:

If you really want to be a forum moderator, you probably shouldn't be allowed to be a forum moderator.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

If you really want to be a forum moderator, you probably shouldn't be allowed to be a forum moderator.

Ditto. Robin I'd almost suggest you probably know who you'd like to be one from your interactions on here. The mods like Blondetall and Tigerlaw probably know who might be good as they see so many posts from everyone. I wouldn't limit it it the requests you got. Feel free to ask whom you'd like.

#39 7 years ago

I would like to nominate Zippydaspamkiller.

#40 7 years ago

i like the concept of "moderate" in the term, ever since the days of running BBS's in the 80's.

a moderate is an individual who is not extreme, partisan, nor radical.

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Couldn't agree more.

Which is why I was very concerned when I read Robin's post about being inundated with applications.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Couldn't agree more.
    Which is why I was very concerned when I read Robin's post about being inundated with applications.

yep, I am a moderator on a very large forum (bigger/busier than pinside!) and if you ask to be a mod you get added to a list of people that will never be mods...

#43 7 years ago

i'm pretty sure this is just a way to get the unwashed rabble -- pardon me, i mean "prospective moderators" -- on their best behavior for as long the "application review" process can be plausibly drawn out. Brilliant, Robin!

#44 7 years ago

I'd hate to be a member of a forum that would have me as a moderator

Wish I was closer though, good luck.

#45 7 years ago

image-546.jpg

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

Well, you've just eliminated most of the people I know--and myself.

what is amusing is that two of his "make sure they aren't" when taken together will eliminate virtually everyone (since it is relatively easy to guess what his definition of "political correctness brigade" really is)...

oh well...

being a moderator is a thankless task, plus you have to be nice to people... why would anyone volunteer for that???

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I have not yet reacted to any application (busy with work) but will as soon as I get a chance.***

Quoted from pezpunk:

i'm pretty sure this is just a way to get the unwashed rabble -- pardon me, i mean "prospective moderators" -- on their best behavior for as long the "application review" process can be plausibly drawn out. Brilliant, Robin!

***Estimated time for reply is 9 months-ish. Do not try this at home. Batteries not included.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Bad news for gerry.

well, he is probably handy with a web browser at least...

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Spittle wiped off keyboard! Thanks!

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Quoted from KingNine:

Ditto. Robin I'd almost suggest you probably know who you'd like to be one from your interactions on here. The mods like Blondetall and Tigerlaw probably know who might be good as they see so many posts from everyone. I wouldn't limit it it the requests you got. Feel free to ask whom you'd like.

Couldn't agree more.

You'll get a thousand head cases who'd love having the "Mod Power". But the best people for moderators will be found amongst what you and your existing mods already know and have seen from fellow members.

Some words to live by, when at all possible...Go by what people DO, not by what they SAY.

A persons actions speak far louder than his words ever will. So go by what you know and have seen of members already, not by what they will say about themselves in an e-mail. Good luck.

There are 183 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside