7E983BC6-C31E-48C8-A6C6-5C8A7F9D4539 (resized).png
C21E73C1928420EFE49350C3977B93E1 (resized).jpg
158639739_3687172278045047_3030153382037794031_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20210308_193723671 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210308_193742522 (resized).jpg
C6FD8B51-55A2-472B-93DA-63658BBDA8FD (resized).jpeg
3AE1D9D9-F184-48A3-849A-9FF12CEC530B (resized).jpeg
million (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manny65.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#73 3 years ago

AWESOME!!! Well done, this is way cool and love the detailed promo video - great way to capture the market.

Looking forward to seeing what you have planned for STTNG

#115 3 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Looks amazing, I don't have TZ or any of the games being worked on
This would be awesome in a T2, lots of great stuff that could be added to that. There is also plenty of open space back there.

Yep I was thinking the same, the T2 has a huge following, a very visible backboard and this would really spice it up

#123 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Great idea in theory, but in practice I think the cost associated with an LCD panel of that form factor combined with the fact that you'd have to recess it into the cabinet pretty much makes that one a no-go at this point in time. However displays are getting better and better, and I know our friends at PinGraffix and others are doing some really interesting things with EL paper and such. They might have something for you in their pipeline.

I recall seeing Homepin prototype several years ago using EL paper for a lightning strike that was cool, that got me thinking ... MM would be great with your controller with EL blades and backboard doing lightning strikes!!!

The possibilities are boundless ...

Quoted from Compy:

Boom, it's on the list. I actually have a special idea for this game... I think it'll blow you away. I'll put out a poll with the rest of the games and see if we can determine a priority based on demand.
Love the talk and ideas!
-- Jimmy

What?? We have to wait?? Nah, we want them all and we want them now!! Haha Looking forward to seeing you ideas on T2 (and STTNG)

Thanks Jimmy - this has got my vote for the best mod of 2020

1 week later
#181 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Yes and yes! So the way that I'm going to instruct people to do it (with videos and pictures) is as follows:

Pull the playfield all the way to the end of the track and raise into vertical service position (resting on the head)
From there, remove the 5 wood screws at the rear that attach the backboard to the playfield
Replace the two end mounting points with our L brackets
Pull the playfield down and rest on the front of the cabinet (all the way forward)
Attach backboard display unit to L brackets at the rear of the playfield using included lock nuts

The last thing I want is people pulling playfields out of their cabinets (this ain't P2K) or mucking with the service junction box to tap the power there. To address these concerns, we use the service outlet (or an external outlet if wanted) to power the control system and display, but the controller board was designed to sense when the game is on/off and will kill power accordingly so you don't have any components that are left on when your game is switched off.
-- Jimmy

Hey Jimmy - one thing to note is that on alot of exported WPC games (including TZ) the service port wasn't included (the hole in the power box is covered by a plastic cap). Most likely this was where games were going to countries with 220-240V power. They can be added https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5008-01 however it'd require some soldering to connect up.

I believe they standardised on the IEC connector https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5851-09184-00 for the service port on WPC-S and WPC-95 games for both domestic and export machines.

#183 3 years ago
Quoted from stumblor:

For those without a service port, it might be easier to use a power supply adapter similar to what pinshakers use
http://www.pinshakers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=69
I've built a couple of these for certain projects. The hardest bit is finding the correct size 9 pin molex connectors.

Yep that's the other option and it is after the machine power switch.

You can also do a similar thing with the 12pin voltage selector molex connectors on the WPC-S and WPC-95 machines if not wanting to use the IEC service outlet, similar to rob's (aka Pinshakers) http://www.pinshakers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=70

1 week later
#200 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Funny you say that about your modded out TZ. TZ was my second DMD game. I bought it around 2000. It’s totally pimped now. I took it on as a project to buy absolutely every mod for this game and I’m sure I’ve gone overboard, but that’s part of the plan! I have a few rarities; like the spiral ramp from the guy in Hungary and the IGT slot machine topper. In addition to a bunch of PF toys and lighting I also have a laser engraved lockdown bar from the guy in Texas, a Ron Kruzman cleared playfield, mirrored back glass, LCD ColorDMD, Pin Stadiums and PinSound. Soon I’ll have PinWoofer, Radcals and Professor Pinball Pinduino lighting. I really thinking the compy TZ Interactive backboard will tie it all together!

Man that's one modded TZ you've got there - pimped out to the max!!

Post some pics

1 week later
#226 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

We being me and my wife... who doesn't know she's been volunteered

Good luck with that one ... if we don't hear from you, we know what her answer was

1 week later
#271 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

A few beers in, messing around in the shop with our control system, software and some larger displays...
[quoted image]

Cool Creech - sign me up for the LCD holo mod

4 weeks later
#417 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Couldn't help but notice Alana moved your business from the kitchen to the Garage! lol Keep em coming there will be a long line for this great product.

Haha nice pickup - that's gold!!!

#435 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

I plan to announce the next game on Black Friday, after everyone wakes up from their food coma and ventures back online

Not long to go now

1 week later
#464 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Thank You! Let's hope they are not leg lifters.....

When Jimmy said they'd tested each one, I wondered if this was how they were testing them

4 weeks later
#502 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Development on the next game is also well under way. We have test parts in and mounted and are working out software glitches. That announcement should be in the next 1-2 weeks after filming some test videos.

Happy New Year Jimmy

I hope that you got some well deserved time off from all your projects, you've certainly earned it! Congrats on making the TWIPY list - my votes are in

Just wondering how the next game mod is coming along - I assume when you release it you'll be creating a new thread but will drop a link in here for us to easily find it?

Cheers mate

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#505 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Hey man! Well its been crazy busy. New threads will definitely be made. I'm still waiting on LED PCBs for the Theatre of Magic mirror so I can get those out the door, just delayed.
Our other colleagues are indeed pushing the second game. Here's a not-so-sneak-peak of it running on our system, custom brackets, monitor included, and we even write MikeD himself a check on every unit we sell. It's a fully functional, upgraded and all-inclusive version of his great mod.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I don't need to see any more. You can start your list now and sign me up for one

#520 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

lmao, Dave you're pretty damn perceptive!
She did indeed kick me out into the garage, but I got all three bays as part of the settlement! The stupid crooked do not cross lines were on the floor when we bought the house because I guess the previous owners couldn't park for crap. (Not to worry, we're not trying to be OSHA compliant here!)
-- Jimmy

LOL I spotted the hazard line immediately and thought damn Jimmy's had to buy a forklift to keep up with goods coming in and out

#550 3 years ago
Quoted from john17a:

Yes please im in

Hey John - you might need to clarify which one you are after, the TZ backboard mod (as per the thread title) or CFTBL holo replacement (based on Compy's recent teaser post)??

#575 3 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

So, what's the difference between the old mike-d creech mod and the new one?

The kit would run on Compy's control hardware/software but leverage MikeD's video assets (and also have some additional video content by the sounds of it)

1 week later
#602 3 years ago
Quoted from BrackAttack:

Thank you!
Also, the TZ used in the instructions looks like it is ready for a take-down and deep cleaning.
Note: my playfield backboard has these additional brackets (I don't know the name of the part), that appear to assist in the playfield lift operation. It doesn't look like I'll be able to fit one onto the new backboard. Do you have any thoughts?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Yep that question has come up before - here's Compy response https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mod-twilight-zone-interactive-backboard-display/page/10#post-6035242

#627 3 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Sweet. I don't even know how much this thing costs.

million (resized).pngmillion (resized).png
1 month later
#677 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Happy Friday-eve, let's play some pinball!
-- Jimmy

Well ahead of you mate, we're kicking into the weekend

1 week later
#698 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Wait, what? How would you mount this thing if not under the pf?

It mounts to the cabinet floor with the monitor raised to sit below the PF - I'm assume you keep the original cardboard shroud that is attached to the underside of the PF so that you only see the monitor screen. It'll be more in keeping to the original holo view compared to having a LCD screen mounted directly onto the bottom side of the PF.

#709 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

You were the real winner.
Stern's should not even be considered a mod as it was intended for the game all along and on top of that was produced by the manufacturer themselves.

Yep next we'll see Stern winning mod of the year for an official topper or heaven forbid a game code update

Well done Compy you're the winner in our eyes!!

4 months later
#750 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Finally received my unit ( not Compy fault, a friend was packing up stuff for me in the US before shipment to save on shipping cost, so I waited a few months before shipping to me)
Anyway, I noticed there is a 3A 12V PSU, seems rather high, has anyone tested powering the mod from J118 (which has both 5V and 12V)? Granted, I already have a Pin2dmd connected there, so not sure it will sustain the load, but I don't think my TZ has the power outlet (I'm not at home right now)
Cheers

Exported games often didn't have the service port wired in however it is possible to fit one if you need

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5008-01
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5851-09184-00

#752 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Thanks, I did not know it was possible !!
I'll try to find a european equivalent, that would be more practical
Alternatively, anyone has experience on wiring a Meanwell PSU directly to main power input ? Need to find if it's easy to access the main power lines and splice the input
Cheers
[EDIT] Well I found all I need on Pinside and various sources. Hopefully the metal cover for my breakbox will allow me to route wire through or even better add the service outlet

The power box is the same on the export games except it'll simply have a plug in the hole where the service outlet clips in - so all you need is a couple of short heavy gauge wires and the service outlet to replicate how it was originally done

8 months later
#778 1 year ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

Attempting to install mine today and my ribbon cables do not mate to the adapter. Anyone had this problem before and know the solution?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It would seem that the connector was put onto the ribbon cable around the wrong way (180 degrees out), as the the red stripe (pin 1) on both cables lines up. That said I wouldn’t be swapping it around before discussing with Jimmy Compy just to be sure and not damage anything

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 79.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manny65.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mod-twilight-zone-interactive-backboard-display?tu=manny65 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.