7E983BC6-C31E-48C8-A6C6-5C8A7F9D4539 (resized).png
C21E73C1928420EFE49350C3977B93E1 (resized).jpg
158639739_3687172278045047_3030153382037794031_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20210308_193723671 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210308_193742522 (resized).jpg
C6FD8B51-55A2-472B-93DA-63658BBDA8FD (resized).jpeg
3AE1D9D9-F184-48A3-849A-9FF12CEC530B (resized).jpeg
million (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

I like how much better and actually working unlike that creature pinball mod by PinballSP

Lol

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Oh, all of the success of Titan is in the hands of Eric and Heather (and formerly Matt and Eve). They do the hard stuff, I just push the bits across the wire where they need to be. I remember when Matt was thinking of moving onto his next gig, you were one of the top of the list just with the way you ran things and how people loved your brand, then we found out you were retiring, haha. Great times.
Additional output ports as in display ports? What are you thinking? There's not, but there are ways we can achieve that, or I can potentially design an upgrade with an added HDMI port.

That is a great idea. Certainly I know a few TZ-ers who would want to use that output for a topper....

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

You crazy TZ people and your gadgets! Interesting, we could definitely make a topper, or at least empower you to make your own if you want to tinker. We can achieve that through a couple of different ways, either splitting at the cable or by extending the hardware outputs to push the pixels to the top display if you want some different types of interaction. Though simply splitting the signal would probably satisfy 90% of the world and much less cost.
Wicked cool!

There you go!

#104 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Good morning all,
I've spent the last few hours responding to emails, PMs and answering questions and I promise I'll get to all of you. The count right now is actually not even just one batch, but three batches in the first 24 hours so I'll tell you what I'm going to do:

I'm going to ship the first 20 in the next 2.5-3 weeks when parts arrive and assembly begins. Those who have expressed interest and received confirmation will be contacted and we'll arrange the details.
I'm going to go ahead NOW and order parts for another couple batches so that they get here in pretty close proximity to the other batch going out
I'm going to get the first 20 into the hands of customers. I need to make sure everything arrives and installs with relatively low friction so that everyone feels like a rockstar through this experience. Once everyone feels good, we'll proceed to the remaining batches and general availability.

This morning I'm working on getting the rest of the responses to interested parties out, and then getting our final controller PCB design fabbed and ready for you.
Now, regarding the demand for Creech. Lots of people have asked for the window mod. I know MikeD did it back in the day, then a few others have attempted so far. I'm getting a better idea of where the snags were, and I offer the following:

After the TZ run is well underway, I'm happy to either work with the creators of that mod to get it into the marketplace utilizing our control system with no delays or problems.
If that can't or won't work, I'm happy to make something utilizing artwork that does not cause issue with Universal Pictures or Planetary Pinball. I've worked on teams that have licensed content through PPS, so there are avenues to make that happen.

As with all of our products, there will be the ability to customize the content to your liking. I know there are some animators and videographers out there with some chops. Obviously if you want to contribute, feel free to reach out and we can make it mutually beneficial a-la ColorDMD. Just understand my plan for that is out several weeks at least so I can get everyone what they ordered.
Happy to have everyone on board, and I'm even happier to make some cool stuff with you all! This and the future game list is exciting!
-- Jimmy

This is an incredibly well thought out response, coming from someone who has clearly been in software for quite a while. lol!

#110 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

If this uses sound callouts does it also work with Pinsound boards?

We’re thinking yes - the pinsound board uses the same cable from the MPU, so this is just another connection

#118 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Great idea in theory, but in practice I think the cost associated with an LCD panel of that form factor combined with the fact that you'd have to recess it into the cabinet pretty much makes that one a no-go at this point in time. However displays are getting better and better, and I know our friends at PinGraffix and others are doing some really interesting things with EL paper and such. They might have something for you in their pipeline.

Boom, it's on the list. I actually have a special idea for this game... I think it'll blow you away. I'll put out a poll with the rest of the games and see if we can determine a priority based on demand.
Love the talk and ideas!
-- Jimmy

At some point it isn't unreasonable to start thinking about extruded aluminum as a potential material for making cabinets. It's WAY lighter than wood (could be a pro or a con depending on if you're in the middle of moving a game or playing it...), and can easily be recessed. Not practical for retrofitting an existing game obviously, but I wonder why Stern hasn't done this

#148 3 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

I would agree it would be nice but I would think the playfield sag in the back right corner of these games would make it a nightmare to get them to fit correctly over different machines.

It’s fixable though Great idea!

#159 3 years ago

Holy crap. I’m double in after seeing that video

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Gotcha on the list!
Gumball machine video is being worked on actually, same for the multiball jackpot sequence and super slot (when you hit the slot)

Strongly suggest you replace the start game animation with the intro from the show. It appears you may have used the movie intro - looks better in color of course but it’s not quite the same

#167 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Gotcha on the list! At this point, I've gotten anyone who has PMed, called, emailed or posted here on the list. I'll keep the lines of communication open throughout the entire process. Got some parts for the first two batches in today. Prototype controller boards should be in next week!
To those asking about including original TZ clips and such on the display, unfortunately I can't do that. I have, however, sourced fan art, videos and created assets for what you see in each video. While the intro video mentioned does mimic the 1983 movie intro, it is indeed a 3D rendered video animation.
However the system does have the ability to have custom assets dropped in. If you've got clips you want to use, that's just fine. We provide the picture frame and the triggers.
-- Jimmy

Got it! Makes total sense.

#180 3 years ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

You can probably install this mod by pulling the playfield forward. I've been able to take the backboard out of games by doing this.
Rob

I can confirm this is possible on TZ, and not very hard to do

1 week later
#190 3 years ago

Looking killer, really psyched to see the final!

#195 3 years ago
Quoted from Titan_Pinball:

ooooh. Good idea and super easy... how about glow-in-the-dark/UV reactive stars?

This would be a killer upgrade to replace the old metal-punched "starry" backboard my game currently has!

#197 3 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Sounds like the majority of people responding to compy kit already have color displays installed.
What is recommendation for color display, and from who?

The vast majority of people have a ColorDMD. There is also lucky1 ’s Pin2DMD, which is OUTSTANDING - however not as many games are supported.

ColorDMD offers an LED option, which is similar to a DMD (but in Color!) - that is, with dots - and they also offer an LCD screen which has some software visual enhancements. Either are great. NEITHER offer the extremely cool possibilities as this solution.

#210 3 years ago
Quoted from SKORR_Arcades:

I didn't receive a response to my initial post (no worries since I know you were getting hammered with requests).
After playing my TZ some more and observing my current backboard, I think all of the toys I have block too much of the backboard view.
I'm going to keep my static image and not get the display right now.
*IDEA*
I think your display would also work well as a video *TOPPER*.
Just add a base and maybe put a graphic design around the lcd display.
I'll be looking forward to all your updates. Great job!

I removed the ramp covers on mine - haven't had a SINGLE ball get hung up there in 2 years - opens up that back area big time.

1 week later
#213 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Good morning all!
Happy Monday, the coffee's on and we're ready for business. The last part for the first batch (the plastic impact shields) are set to arrive this week, so the assembly process begins.
As previously mentioned in my commitment, I'll reach out to the first buyers and arrange shipping/payment. Anyone who has experienced a change of heart or backed out for any other reason, we'll just move on down the list.
Time to get these things into your hands and into your games!
-- Jimmy

Still in! This is exciting news dude

#221 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Paid and Excited to tear into TZ again for this amazing mod! Bravo well done. I Sincerely hope this is successful as there are Sooo many other titles this would work on. Thanks.

This. 1000x

#222 3 years ago

Great work, and even more exciting that things are moving along so well. Comes at a good time, when not a lot of other things are coming though. Well done

1 week later
#248 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I wonder if it’s possible to connect this to a camera and code it take a selfie at that shot?

Great idea! What shot are you referring to?

#252 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

You're referring to the camera shot on the game, right?
Technically yeah I could wire that up. Seems pretty cool actually. We'd just have to interface a webcam or some other small form factor camera with the I/O board.

The RPi camera is pretty easy to integrate into other boards, although I don’t know if the ribbon cable is long enough. Maybe a remote call on an optional RPi0 which takes the photo then sends it to the display bus

#265 3 years ago

I seriously need to move to Austin..

#269 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

A few beers in, messing around in the shop with our control system, software and some larger displays...
[quoted image]

LOL. Now I’m going to go get another CFTBL

#273 3 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Not seen the rgb led tape used on creech ramps / whirl pool thing before Actually looks very cool, you could do so much with it if using the addressable type with all sorts of amazing animations zooming leds around the ramp
All these mod makers create there own trigger system ie using the dmd/audio/lamps to parse what state the game was in. Would be pretty cool if there was some generic mod that did this for you then you decide what mod to connect to it? So some sort of generic interface hardware that works with any machine then you configure that to look for certain events in the game and then what you want to happen ie drive lcd/leds/motors/fog machines etc.. Then this one bit of hardware can be used over and over again and not reinvented each time a new mod is released.
Raspberry pi would be ideal (amazing new compute module 4 just been released, super small and compact ideal for this) Then I guess it could support dmd/audio/lamp inputs from various machines or something?
Just an idea...
Wish I had more time for this stuff

Pinduino is part of the way there

#277 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

People should really be sending him beer... Just sayin'!

Hm. That is a very good point. I'm in! They have Total Wine down in Austin?

#300 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Thank you yelobird for the fantastic feedback! Based on your feedback we have tons of improvements and optimizations to our installation process that we'll be enacting! Thank you for making this better.
Regarding the art blades, through our partnership with Titan as outlined above, those will be generally available much sooner! Thank you to our friends at Titan for making that happen.
Regarding the impact shields that ship with the mod, we do have an optional upgrade for either clear or the artwork/starry printed ones to match your art blades. The image I showed above has the starry printed option and is $25 extra. Everything is reverse printed and gorgeous. You'll be given that option at the time we invoice when your unit is ready for assembly and testing!

Less is more often times, especially on busy games like TZ! Glad Eric was able to help us out!

For TZ? Got you down for one. Will send details in PM!

Gotcha down for one! I'll send you a message.
-- Jimmy

Great news one is out in the wild already! Can't wait to install once it arrives..

#326 3 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Commenting to follow for CFTBL / STTNG news.

STTNG?

#327 3 years ago

Got my box today.! That was psycho fast.

I’m doing final edits on a music video for a new single to be released tomorrow, and after that ... Twilight Zone baby!!

#329 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Awesome! Once you get around to it, if you have any problems or questions, don't hesitate to shoot me a message and we can hop on a call!
-- Jimmy

Sweet. I already checked out the package; everything is connector-ed beautifully. The big challenge will be how to plug in to my way over-modded game! Seriously, the PDB is begging for mercy..

#342 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

So glad it went in without much trouble!
I hardly do anything in this industry for much of a profit
I just want to make junk that doesn't suck!
-- Jimmy

Looks like you’re doing well in that department!

#355 3 years ago

Installed mine today finally... The hype is real! Make sure to let the game go to attract mode. Very impressive.

I do recommend waiting for the new brackets; while there's really nothing wrong with the current ones (I just insulated mine against the GI lamp with elec tape, NBD), it will make the install 'feel' more substantial and stronger.

#364 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Both of you are in! I'll send a PM with details.
--------------------------
An engineering/shipping update from my end:
I've held the current batch through the end of the week because we found a gracious shop that is semi-local that will stamp and bend our brackets starting this week and hopefully ship by Friday (and we usually get stuff next day or even Monday at the latest). This means that all outgoing and future orders will have the new bracket design.
Whats the difference in the two bracket designs?
Quite simply, the currently supplied bracket is just a tad too long on the playfield side, and unless you either slide the bracket rearward or move it over and attach to fresh wood, you're too close to a lamp socket. People have made it work and there's no structural risks, it's just less than ideal.
We stand by our products, and we feel that this is the best way to roll the product out.
We appreciate the patience and excitement that has been shown!
-- Jimmy

VERY good news for buyers. The "old" bracket is not terrible, but it could be better. So glad to hear it will be! I ended up reinforcing mine with the original screws from the old backboard on the left (not near the display!) which made it more substantial. My game has mirror blades and the fit is very tight, so the new backboard was rubbing if I didn't pull out the playfield super straight.

Will post photos and video later. This thing is amazing!

#370 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

It's all Rob's fault. He told everyone to wait for the new brackets
Well, I guess Eric's retirement plan is secured... one bracket at a time.

LOL It’s better for everyone if we just Wait For It... haha

#374 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Also, a huge HUGE thanks to Eric at Alumagraphics for the fantastic turnaround on these brackets. He was helpful at every single step of the way and even contributed his own ideas on how to make things a bit easier for all of you.
(He also owns Titan Pinball, so if you ever need anything, hit them up! Exceptional parts and service!)

Been meaning to order some Titan stuff.. here I go!

#395 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Stop! I've already been looking for a reason to get a Monster Bash.

Welcome to the party, you're in!

Will shoot you a message back!

Way ahead of you. The problem with MB is that the back panel already has some pretty great art on it.

When my band and I were designing and programming our LED panels for our live show (hey, we small, but we got the know-how!), we programmed in a “default” video which would play whenever we didn’t have a specific crazy LED panel light show programmed (which, at the beginning, was a lot). Not terribly different from the TZ star field video.

Might get up the PPS squad the artwork was pinched, but that would be 1 idea: show a static graphic until a video is needed.

Option 2: slightly smaller screen which might play videos in a less obstructive area (e.g. behind the bride or middle back)

Option3: transparent LCD. Yes I said it!

2 weeks later
#428 3 years ago

Thinking about putting one of these in my DW. The hype is real. Dude, you’ve knocked this out of the park!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mod-twilight-zone-interactive-backboard-display?tu=Rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.