7E983BC6-C31E-48C8-A6C6-5C8A7F9D4539 (resized).png
C21E73C1928420EFE49350C3977B93E1 (resized).jpg
158639739_3687172278045047_3030153382037794031_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20210308_193723671 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210308_193742522 (resized).jpg
C6FD8B51-55A2-472B-93DA-63658BBDA8FD (resized).jpeg
3AE1D9D9-F184-48A3-849A-9FF12CEC530B (resized).jpeg
million (resized).png
There are 801 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 17.
#151 3 years ago

Very nice mod!!! Please add me.

#152 3 years ago

I would be in for a creature holo replacement version(under the playfield), that could be a killer, if it´s done on your platform with your flexibilities

#153 3 years ago

Any video from the player’s perspective?

#154 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Any video from the player’s perspective?

Ask and ye shall receive:

Edited so you don't have to watch me flail forever to try to start a mode, only to inevitably drain when I do.

In other news, progress update:
Boards have been sent out to fab. I'll get 10 in return in this batch to test with. If all goes well, I'll send out for the entire run.

Quotes have been collected for CNCing the new backboards that hold the display as well as the custom protective acrylic. Personally I don't think this game needs it because of the ramps/top shields already installed on the game, but it's good to have as an option.

Software progress continues, squashing bugs left and right. All assets aren't done yet, but most are in. Trying to come up with a good attract sequence as people don't want a starry sky just sitting there.

Thank you for the continued support, and feel free to continue sharing ideas!
-- Jimmy

#155 3 years ago

Jimmy

Add me to the list.

Any graphics& audio for gum ball machine
Or jackpot spitting out coin from a slot machine

#156 3 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Jimmy
Add me to the list.
Any graphics& audio for gum ball machine
Or jackpot spitting out coin from a slot machine

Gotcha on the list!

Gumball machine video is being worked on actually, same for the multiball jackpot sequence and super slot (when you hit the slot)

#157 3 years ago

If T2 happens you can put me on that list now. I also have a spare parts playfield that i could pull the back off of if you need that for mock up.

#158 3 years ago
Quoted from Jim-Beam:

I would be in for a creature holo replacement version(under the playfield), that could be a killer, if it´s done on your platform with your flexibilities

Same here if I haven't already mentioned it.

#159 3 years ago

Holy crap. I’m double in after seeing that video

#160 3 years ago

This is amazing and you will sell the crap out of them and the same for every game you make them for.

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Gotcha on the list!
Gumball machine video is being worked on actually, same for the multiball jackpot sequence and super slot (when you hit the slot)

Strongly suggest you replace the start game animation with the intro from the show. It appears you may have used the movie intro - looks better in color of course but it’s not quite the same

#162 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Strongly suggest you replace the start game animation with the intro from the show. It appears you may have used the movie intro - looks better in color of course but it’s not quite the same

I agree.

#163 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Co-signed!

#164 3 years ago

but then there is copyright issues...

#165 3 years ago

Beautiful mod.

Please put me on the list!

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from joediver:

Beautiful mod.
Please put me on the list!

Gotcha on the list! At this point, I've gotten anyone who has PMed, called, emailed or posted here on the list. I'll keep the lines of communication open throughout the entire process. Got some parts for the first two batches in today. Prototype controller boards should be in next week!

To those asking about including original TZ clips and such on the display, unfortunately I can't do that. I have, however, sourced fan art, videos and created assets for what you see in each video. While the intro video mentioned does mimic the 1983 movie intro, it is indeed a 3D rendered video animation.

However the system does have the ability to have custom assets dropped in. If you've got clips you want to use, that's just fine. We provide the picture frame and the triggers.

-- Jimmy

#167 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Gotcha on the list! At this point, I've gotten anyone who has PMed, called, emailed or posted here on the list. I'll keep the lines of communication open throughout the entire process. Got some parts for the first two batches in today. Prototype controller boards should be in next week!
To those asking about including original TZ clips and such on the display, unfortunately I can't do that. I have, however, sourced fan art, videos and created assets for what you see in each video. While the intro video mentioned does mimic the 1983 movie intro, it is indeed a 3D rendered video animation.
However the system does have the ability to have custom assets dropped in. If you've got clips you want to use, that's just fine. We provide the picture frame and the triggers.
-- Jimmy

Got it! Makes total sense.

#168 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

-- Jimmy

Cool, thanks for explaining!

#169 3 years ago

This is really an amazing piece of work. Well done.

I do think there is also a big market for creating custom toppers with the same system. There are a bunch of games that don't have the backboard space as open as TZ, but could use an animated topper that is integrated with the game modes. It also seems like that could be made in a more "generic" way than the backboards which would have to be positioned differently for each title.

Unfortunately, I don't own a TZ, or I'd have already signed up!

I wish there was somehow a place to put this on my Whitewater, but that area is already filled up with "mountains".

#170 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

-- Jimmy

Not telling you what to do, but don’t forget that what you could do, if you wanted, is provide programs or scripts that know how to download or grab copyright media from other places. For example, I’ve often thought it would be awesome to use PROC to create a Monty Python and the Holy Grail remake for MM. I’d put an LCD in place of the DMD and I’d code it using clips from a real DVD. Then I’d put it up for download without the clips, but would provide a script that you could use to pull the clips from your own DVD easily. That way each end user must purchase their own copy and they are legal in running your script to make such a creation under fair use. It’s a little less clear if they can legally sell the entire machine that way, but as long as they include the DVD copy with the machine, I’m relatively certain THAT would be legal, too.

Anyway, just a thought. Incredible mod idea. Trying to decide if I’d actually install this on my “#1 on the run!” signed sample game or not. Leaning toward yes since I’m guessing it’s 100% reversible.

—Donnie

#171 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Gotcha on the list!

Add me too. My TZ needs this upgrade! Please.

#172 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Add me too. My TZ needs this upgrade! Please.

Gotcha, you're on the list!

#173 3 years ago

Late to the party but would love to be on your list for this awesome mod.

#174 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Ask and ye shall receive:
Edited so you don't have to watch me flail forever to try to start a mode, only to inevitably drain when I do.

Sold. That looks really good. Put me on the list thanks!

#175 3 years ago

so How do you install this without pulling the pf out?

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

You can probably install this mod by pulling the playfield forward. I've been able to take the backboard out of games by doing this.

Rob

#177 3 years ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

You can probably install this mod by pulling the playfield forward. I've been able to take the backboard out of games by doing this.
Rob

Quoted from zr11990:

Yes and yes! So the way that I'm going to instruct people to do it (with videos and pictures) is as follows:

1. Pull the playfield all the way to the end of the track and raise into vertical service position (resting on the head)
  2. From there, remove the 5 wood screws at the rear that attach the backboard to the playfield
  3. Replace the two end mounting points with our L brackets
  4. Pull the playfield down and rest on the front of the cabinet (all the way forward)
  5. Attach backboard display unit to L brackets at the rear of the playfield using included lock nuts

The last thing I want is people pulling playfields out of their cabinets (this ain't P2K) or mucking with the service junction box to tap the power there. To address these concerns, we use the service outlet (or an external outlet if wanted) to power the control system and display, but the controller board was designed to sense when the game is on/off and will kill power accordingly so you don't have any components that are left on when your game is switched off.

-- Jimmy

#178 3 years ago

How did I not see this when you started the thread ten days ago?
Please add me to the list of Pinsiders who want this mod. Very cool!

#179 3 years ago

Very cool mod! Please add me to the list

#180 3 years ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

Rob

I can confirm this is possible on TZ, and not very hard to do

#181 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Yes and yes! So the way that I'm going to instruct people to do it (with videos and pictures) is as follows:

Pull the playfield all the way to the end of the track and raise into vertical service position (resting on the head)
From there, remove the 5 wood screws at the rear that attach the backboard to the playfield
Replace the two end mounting points with our L brackets
Pull the playfield down and rest on the front of the cabinet (all the way forward)
Attach backboard display unit to L brackets at the rear of the playfield using included lock nuts

The last thing I want is people pulling playfields out of their cabinets (this ain't P2K) or mucking with the service junction box to tap the power there. To address these concerns, we use the service outlet (or an external outlet if wanted) to power the control system and display, but the controller board was designed to sense when the game is on/off and will kill power accordingly so you don't have any components that are left on when your game is switched off.
-- Jimmy

Hey Jimmy - one thing to note is that on alot of exported WPC games (including TZ) the service port wasn't included (the hole in the power box is covered by a plastic cap). Most likely this was where games were going to countries with 220-240V power. They can be added https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5008-01 however it'd require some soldering to connect up.

I believe they standardised on the IEC connector https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5851-09184-00 for the service port on WPC-S and WPC-95 games for both domestic and export machines.

#182 3 years ago

For those without a service port, it might be easier to use a power supply adapter similar to what pinshakers use

http://www.pinshakers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=69

I've built a couple of these for certain projects. The hardest bit is finding the correct size 9 pin molex connectors.

#183 3 years ago
Quoted from stumblor:

For those without a service port, it might be easier to use a power supply adapter similar to what pinshakers use
http://www.pinshakers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=69
I've built a couple of these for certain projects. The hardest bit is finding the correct size 9 pin molex connectors.

Yep that's the other option and it is after the machine power switch.

You can also do a similar thing with the 12pin voltage selector molex connectors on the WPC-S and WPC-95 machines if not wanting to use the IEC service outlet, similar to rob's (aka Pinshakers) http://www.pinshakers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=70

#184 3 years ago

Good afternoon and happy Friday all!

It's been anything but quiet here. Lots of boxes of packing materials, anti-static bags, PCB prototypes, displays, brackets, etc being dropped off. The CNC is cooking trying to spit out as many backboards as it can.

The testing on the PCB prototypes went well, so we've sent out the order for the next batch. The issue is that our PCB fab is on holiday until 10/8, so that gives me a few days to work on software until I have to solder everything again! I got the gumball animation completed and am working on the super slot award animation as well as intermittent stinger/alert type videos like spiral shots, 5M target shots, etc. This work is done while waiting for parts and fabrication.

IMG_20201002_150726 (resized).jpgIMG_20201002_150726 (resized).jpg

Also, you asked and we answered! Some folks questioned whether or not the display needed a protective shield because of airballs. While I stand by my original statement that TZ is likely fine due to the plethora of ramps in the way (with accompanying top plastics), I do think it's just better engineering to design it into not just one game, but every game that will feature an interactive display.

With that said, I'm pleased to present our new design which not only introduces a protective PETG shield, but also an airgap between the display and the shield while also putting the display at a better viewing angle for the player.

IMG_20201002_142810 (resized).jpgIMG_20201002_142810 (resized).jpg IMG_20201002_142821 (resized).jpgIMG_20201002_142821 (resized).jpg

A very special thanks to our friends at Titan Pinball and Alumagraphics for turning these around so quickly. We're pleased to have them as a part of our supply chain. We're considering offering a version where the shield has reverse printed artwork on the underside that matches the blue "starry" look on TZ as an upgrade.

While I'm waiting for the new boards, aside from software and pumping out more backboard mounts, I'll be testing our packaging to make sure that these arrive safe and sound to you. Lots of plates spinning, but scheduling is everything so that we're maximizing productive hours to hit our delivery goals.

As always, ping me with any questions!
-- Jimmy

#185 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

It's been anything but quiet here. Lots of boxes of packing materials, anti-static bags, PCB prototypes, displays, brackets, etc being dropped off. The CNC is cooking trying to spit out as many backboards as it can.
The testing on the PCB prototypes went well, so we've sent out the order for the next batch. The issue is that our PCB fab is on holiday until 10/8, so that gives me a few days to work on software until I have to solder everything again! I got the gumball animation completed and am working on the super slot award animation as well as intermittent stinger/alert type videos like spiral shots, 5M target shots, etc. This work is done while waiting for parts and fabrication.
[quoted image]
Also, you asked and we answered! Some folks questioned whether or not the display needed a protective shield because of airballs. While I stand by my original statement that TZ is likely fine due to the plethora of ramps in the way (with accompanying top plastics), I do think it's just better engineering to design it into not just one game, but every game that will feature an interactive display.
With that said, I'm pleased to present our new design which not only introduces a protective PETG shield, but also an airgap between the display and the shield while also putting the display at a better viewing angle for the player.
[quoted image] [quoted image]
A very special thanks to our friends at Titan Pinball and Alumagraphics for turning these around so quickly. We're pleased to have them as a part of our supply chain. We're considering offering a version where the shield has reverse printed artwork on the underside that matches the blue "starry" look on TZ as an upgrade.
While I'm waiting for the new boards, aside from software and pumping out more backboard mounts, I'll be testing our packaging to make sure that these arrive safe and sound to you. Lots of plates spinning, but scheduling is everything so that we're maximizing productive hours to hit our delivery goals.
-- Jimmy

Even unpowered that looks sleek and sexy as hell. That’ll look modern in TZ as opposed to a decal or black painted wood. Tilting it upwards? Genius.

Getting excited!

#186 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

[quoted image]
[quoted image] [quoted image]
-- Jimmy

So cool Jimmy! Every update is better than the last. This is going to be amazing!!!

#187 3 years ago

Keep on the good work

#188 3 years ago

Add me to the list.

#189 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

We're considering offering a version where the shield has reverse printed artwork on the underside that matches the blue "starry" look on TZ as an upgrade

I was hoping you would offer something for the remaining plain black area of the backboard. This would be fantastic!

Keep up the great work.

#190 3 years ago

Looking killer, really psyched to see the final!

#191 3 years ago

Sweeeeeeet

#192 3 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

I was hoping you would offer something for the remaining plain black area of the backboard. This would be fantastic!
Keep up the great work.

I kinda thought the same.

#193 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

We're considering offering a version where the shield has reverse printed artwork on the underside that matches the blue "starry" look on TZ as an upgrade

ooooh. Good idea and super easy... how about glow-in-the-dark/UV reactive stars?

#194 3 years ago
Quoted from Titan_Pinball:

ooooh. Good idea and super easy... how about glow-in-the-dark/UV reactive stars?

Sounds wicked! Gimme a call at some point

#195 3 years ago
Quoted from Titan_Pinball:

This would be a killer upgrade to replace the old metal-punched "starry" backboard my game currently has!

#196 3 years ago

Sounds like the majority of people responding to compy kit already have color displays installed.

What is recommendation for color display, and from who?

#197 3 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Sounds like the majority of people responding to compy kit already have color displays installed.
What is recommendation for color display, and from who?

The vast majority of people have a ColorDMD. There is also lucky1 ’s Pin2DMD, which is OUTSTANDING - however not as many games are supported.

ColorDMD offers an LED option, which is similar to a DMD (but in Color!) - that is, with dots - and they also offer an LCD screen which has some software visual enhancements. Either are great. NEITHER offer the extremely cool possibilities as this solution.

#198 3 years ago

Well my TZ is loaded to the gills already with latest tech. Pinsound, colordmd, and chromed out.
This will fit in well.

#199 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Well my TZ is loaded to the gills already with latest tech. Pinsound, colordmd, and chromed out.
This will fit in well.

Funny you say that about your modded out TZ. TZ was my second DMD game. I bought it around 2000. It’s totally pimped now. I took it on as a project to buy absolutely every mod for this game and I’m sure I’ve gone overboard, but that’s part of the plan! I have a few rarities; like the spiral ramp from the guy in Hungary and the IGT slot machine topper. In addition to a bunch of PF toys and lighting I also have a laser engraved lockdown bar from the guy in Texas, a Ron Kruzman cleared playfield, mirrored back glass, LCD ColorDMD, Pin Stadiums and PinSound. Soon I’ll have PinWoofer, Radcals and Professor Pinball Pinduino lighting. I really thinking the Compy TZ Interactive backboard will tie it all together!

#200 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Funny you say that about your modded out TZ. TZ was my second DMD game. I bought it around 2000. It’s totally pimped now. I took it on as a project to buy absolutely every mod for this game and I’m sure I’ve gone overboard, but that’s part of the plan! I have a few rarities; like the spiral ramp from the guy in Hungary and the IGT slot machine topper. In addition to a bunch of PF toys and lighting I also have a laser engraved lockdown bar from the guy in Texas, a Ron Kruzman cleared playfield, mirrored back glass, LCD ColorDMD, Pin Stadiums and PinSound. Soon I’ll have PinWoofer, Radcals and Professor Pinball Pinduino lighting. I really thinking the compy TZ Interactive backboard will tie it all together!

Man that's one modded TZ you've got there - pimped out to the max!!

Post some pics

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1,059.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.50
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
There are 801 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mod-twilight-zone-interactive-backboard-display/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.