7E983BC6-C31E-48C8-A6C6-5C8A7F9D4539 (resized).png
C21E73C1928420EFE49350C3977B93E1 (resized).jpg
158639739_3687172278045047_3030153382037794031_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20210308_193723671 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210308_193742522 (resized).jpg
C6FD8B51-55A2-472B-93DA-63658BBDA8FD (resized).jpeg
3AE1D9D9-F184-48A3-849A-9FF12CEC530B (resized).jpeg
million (resized).png

There are 801 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 17.
#701 3 years ago

Alana and I would like to give an extreme "thank you" to everyone who voted for us in the running up to "Mod of the Year" in the 2020 TWIPYs. We're extremely humbled and even though we lost out to Stranger Things' UV kit, we're very very honored to just be considered even though we started shipping units so late in the year.

Here's to the next round of TWIPYs!

-- Jimmy

#702 3 years ago
Quoted from Titan_Pinball:

The creature is restless today!
[quoted image]

Oh man....I'm so in on this!!! ( cabinet mount makes huge sense to me btw...)

#703 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Alana and I would like to give an extreme "thank you" to everyone who voted for us in the running up to "Mod of the Year" in the 2020 TWIPYs. We're extremely humbled and even though we lost out to Stranger Things' UV kit, we're very very honored to just be considered even though we started shipping units so late in the year.
-- Jimmy

Losing to a pre planned production part from the factory sucks. It's not a mod. There is no modification needed. It was a plug and play option.

Congratulations on your win.

#704 3 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

Losing to a pre planned production part from the factory sucks. It's not a mod. There is no modification needed. It was a plug and play option.
Congratulations on your win.

Agreed...better mod on a better game as well, imho

#705 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

-- Jimmy

You were the real winner.
Stern's should not even be considered a mod as it was intended for the game all along and on top of that was produced by the manufacturer themselves.
So Congrats to all of you on this super mod.

How is the software update coming along? Can't wait to add more graphics.

#706 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Stern's should not even be considered a mod as it was intended for the game all along and on top of that was produced by the manufacturer themselves.
So Congrats to all of you on this super mod.

Agreed. MFG updates should not be in the same category as 3rd party mods. Everything about them is different... all the way from conception, through execution, and to sales and marketing. You're the clear winner in our minds, Jimmy!

- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

#707 3 years ago

Stern winning this is embarrassing. A company selling you an add-on to their own product isn’t a mod.
My monkey mod for WOZ lost a couple of years ago to Pinstadium and ColorDMD, both of which were created in previous years but people voted for as “favorite mod ever” or something.
This award really doesn’t know what it is, unfortunately, so it’s best not to get too hung up over it.

Congrats on your work! It was my favorite.

#708 3 years ago

congrats on being the true winner of the mod category - the dodgy win was the pulled feature on a released game and later released feature....

awesome work Compy

#709 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Yep next we'll see Stern winning mod of the year for an official topper or heaven forbid a game code update

Well done Compy you're the winner in our eyes!!

#710 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Yeah it's most definitely the T cable.
We'll send a replacement today.

New cable received and installed. Thanks for the quick support!

#711 3 years ago

anyone had shipped to canada - customs rate?

3 weeks later
#712 2 years ago

Where can i order one ?
I really love it.
Best regards martin

#713 2 years ago

Hey y’all. Pinball Inc. and 86pixels are partnering up to bring PinVision titles to you! From today on we will be hosting PinVision titles on our website for you to order immediately. No more pre-orders. No more waiting. We will get your orders shipped the same business day!

We’re really excited for what is to come and what we can bring to everyone in the future!

Get your title today at: https://www.pinballinc.com while supplies last.

-Turner

#714 2 years ago

We're definitely proud to be partnering with Pinball Inc to get these into wider availability. This allows us to (hopefully) focus on future games as well as what is currently in development. We've worked together for years and we stand behind their commitment to exceptional customer service.

Now, for those who have a confirmed pre-order spot with us, we'll continue to fulfill those orders in the order in which they were received. Of course, if units become available first at Pinball Inc, you're welcome to grab those up!

Thank you all! We're excited to keep making these to keep up with the crazy demand we've seen even just since the TWIPY awards.

Let's play some pinball!
-- Jimmy

#715 2 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

We're definitely proud to be partnering with Pinball Inc to get these into wider availability. This allows us to (hopefully) focus on future games as well as what is currently in development. We've worked together for years and we stand behind their commitment to exceptional customer service.
Now, for those who have a confirmed pre-order spot with us, we'll continue to fulfill those orders in the order in which they were received. Of course, if units become available first at Pinball Inc, you're welcome to grab those up!
Thank you all! We're excited to keep making these to keep up with the crazy demand we've seen even just since the TWIPY awards.
Let's play some pinball!
-- Jimmy

Does this mean I’ll be buying a ToM magic mirror soon?

#716 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Does this mean I’ll be buying a ToM magic mirror soon?

Yessir! Assembling the new version without all the unobtanium parts as we speak!

#717 2 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Yessir! Assembling the new version without all the unobtanium parts as we speak!

Whooo looking forward to it!

#718 2 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Put me o that list

#719 2 years ago

Compy when you get to the CFTBL mod, will there be a separate forum chain for that, or am I already to late to the game and there is one?

1 week later
#720 2 years ago

Have the tz mod installed for wile now. Looks great.
Any plans or even a way to do updates on it? Add more video clips?

#721 2 years ago
Quoted from Akitostarwind:

Have the tz mod installed for wile now. Looks great.
Any plans or even a way to do updates on it? Add more video clips?

Good question!

We're working with some video artists on upgrade packs. We do indeed ship every unit with the ability to update/change graphics and videos. All you have to do is remove the SD card from the board (upper right) and insert it into your computer. All graphics files/animations are there and can be replaced. If you're doing custom work you want to share (free or not), we're even happy to refer people to it.

#722 2 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Good question!
We're working with some video artists on upgrade packs. We do indeed ship every unit with the ability to update/change graphics and videos. All you have to do is remove the SD card from the board (upper right) and insert it into your computer. All graphics files/animations are there and can be replaced. If you're doing custom work you want to share (free or not), we're even happy to refer people to it.

I might grab an extra so card and play around with this. If anyone has done this can we get a few pictures.

#723 2 years ago

I do few if any mods to my machines, I prefer the factory look. If I do them they need to look like they should have been there in the first place, there are some decals I'll add but the main ones for me are color DMD and inside art. These add a ton to the machine but retain the factory look, as if they should have always been there. And now there is this fantastic Mod. I took me about a hour to install and is now a must have when others are available for any of my current machines. Again it seem like it should have been part of the original design. A fantastic job!

#724 2 years ago
Quoted from jsandjs:

Again it seem like it should have been part of the original design. A fantastic job!

I wonder what some of the original designer's think of it?

#725 2 years ago
Quoted from Akitostarwind:

I wonder what some of the original designer's think of it?

Good question. I find it interesting to see these older pins with more updated tech like color DMD, LED's and such. They don't seem out of place with modern games. Kinda makes you wonder what designers would have done in that era given what we have now technology wise.

2 weeks later
#726 2 years ago

Compy, I picked up a second TZ so I need a second star plastic display! Hit me up for pay when it's ready to ship.

1 week later
#727 2 years ago

Just popped back in to check on any graphics update for the TZ mod. I will just keep patiently waiting as I see it is still planned.

#728 2 years ago

@Jimmy, you mentioned that we could use multiple files for events. How do the filenames have to be named? For example, if i want to use 3 different Gumball-Videos beside the original one.

Quoted from Compy:

Yeah, we do support multiple file entries for a given event, and the system will select randomly.

And please add the possibility to add custom videos or PNG to all of the events that the system can read from the sounddata. For example pinsound uses a directory-based inventory (based on numbers) of all soundevents. Ignore empty directories and just use videos or png if there's some content in it.

Adding custom content is so much fun!

tz_events (resized).JPGtz_events (resized).JPG
#729 2 years ago
Quoted from drgary:

jimmy, you mentioned that we could use multiple files for events. How do the filenames have to be named? For example, if i want to use 3 different Gumball-Videos beside the original one.

And please add the possibility to add custom videos or PNG to all of the events that the system can read from the sounddata. For example pinsound uses a directory-based inventory (based on numbers) of all soundevents. Ignore empty directories and just use videos or png if there's some content in it.
Adding custom content is so much fun! [quoted image]

I have a software update ready that I think does what you're looking to do. Interested in giving it a shot? Then if you put out custom content, we're happy to help you market it to our customers. (I don't want anything in return).

Arcade would likely be your first customer! I'm also discussing it with the video artists we have working on upcoming games, though this would be slotted in behind it.

In other production news, we're waiting on batch orders of parts. Some are TZ specific, and others are for upcoming games as well as Theatre of Magic.

Feel free to forward any questions! We've been heads down assembling everything we can by hand while we wait for more pre-fabbed parts.

-- Jimmy

#730 2 years ago

Add me to the Creature list, please.

#731 2 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

I have a software update ready that I think does what you're looking to do. Interested in giving it a shot? Then if you put out custom content, we're happy to help you market it to our customers. (I don't want anything in return).

Of course i want any kind of software update.
I'm not a content-creator but love to use After Effects and some cropped video-material that fits the pinball-theme. Thus i won't be able to share it cause of copyright. But i can try to collect the list of used material and perhaps some content owner is willing to let us use some content for free.

#732 2 years ago
Quoted from drgary:

Of course i want any kind of software update.
I'm not a content-creator but love to use After Effects and some cropped video-material that fits the pinball-theme. Thus i won't be able to share it cause of copyright. But i can try to collect the list of used material and perhaps some content owner is willing to let us use some content for free.

To be fair, vpinball.com before it closed down used to host 'Pup packs' for virtual pinball, which is video content which are triggered by Dmd sequences on a virtual pinball. All this content is copyrighted, but I believe it kinds of fall under 'fair use'. Anyway, it was hosted for years here and none of the Pup Packs creators had legal issues. You could probably reach out to vpuniverse.com admin and see if he would create a section for 'compy animated packs'

On another note, getting back on this thread as while I bought a unit, it's still not installed since it's in transit, sitting at my friend place in Texas while my TZ is with me in France... I see that there has been a mod for ToM, and one for Creature? Turns out PinballSP also released (finally) his own mod, using the same principle.

2 weeks later
#733 2 years ago

Just installed mine, it is indeed very very nice, just wish there were a bit more animations but I am sure an update will eventually show up. Will reorder the TOM mirror as soon as it is back on track.

#734 2 years ago

Any rough estimate of when an Addams family one might drop?

#735 2 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

Any rough estimate of when an Addams family one might drop?

I'd be surprised. Different backboard with not a lot of room back there.

#736 2 years ago
Quoted from etien:

Just installed mine, it is indeed very very nice, just wish there were a bit more animations but I am sure an update will eventually show up. Will reorder the TOM mirror as soon as it is back on track.

Me too. Waiting for orders to open up.

1 week later
#737 2 years ago

Good morning all,

I hope everyone had a happy 4th of July! We've been hustling hard here and have built up enough inventory to offer the mod at general availability through our partner shops and our own.

They're now in stock on our Pinside shop (5% goes to supporting Pinside!): https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1118-86pixels/05193-pinvision-interactive-display-for-twilight-zone

Pinball Inc also has some in stock so you can combine with your orders there and their excellent customer service!

Also, for those who are thinking of ordering the matching art blades from Titan Pinball, they've tossed us a $5 off coupon on those: Use coupon code 86PIXELS
Link: https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=161&search=decals
Make sure you select "Williams/Bally/Midway" as the model and "Starry Sky" as the style.

We've got lots of parts rolling in this week so we can get Theatre of Magic out the door. News about that will be posted in the separate thread.

New game announcement also coming soon!

-- Jimmy

#738 2 years ago

We at Pinball Inc are pleased to have these back in stock. Here is the link to our shop for those who wish to order:

https://www.pinballinc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=495

We've been proud to be part of this project as our own James Loflin is the actual brainchild behind the concept of this interactive backboard display. Between James' idea and Jimmy's brilliant talent it is great to see this project receiving so many positive reviews.

To give the background, it really all started while Paul Kiefert and James Loflin were working with the late great Python Anghelo on an interactive LCD idea for the Pinball Circus. Paul Kiefert, James Loflin and Jimmy Lipham continued to brainstorm that idea into other type of applications and the backboard mod rose to the top. The TOM mod is also an extension of the brainstorming sessions. We to release yet another related mod, which was the brainchild of Paul, at the Southern Fried Gameroom show next month. Sorry, no spoilers on that one other than it's really cool. It's great, and fun, when people work together to do great things.

--"THE" Pinball Inc

#739 2 years ago

I was reading through this thread again and just wanted to mention I would be 100% in on a twilight camera mod that sent a picture to the display mod. I was thinking of something like that just the other day while playing Dialed in.

Also, any new info on updated display video packages? I tried poking around on the SD card but couldnt really make sense of the animations file structuring. Im handy with video editing, but wasnt familiar with how this works.

#740 2 years ago
Quoted from MarklarD:

Also, any new info on updated display video packages? I tried poking around on the SD card but couldnt really make sense of the animations file structuring. Im handy with video editing, but wasnt familiar with how this works.

+1 on the animation modding. Seems like this would be ripe for that, if even some more video clips from the series. Wish I had the skills to do that but I don't ...at all. Would be happy to stuff some bills in the tip jar if someone does it.

1 week later
#741 2 years ago

Has there been a basic guide put out on swapping vid clips yet? Would be very helpful even with one example.

Quoted from MLmotorsport:

+1 on the animation modding. Seems like this would be ripe for that, if even some more video clips from the series. Wish I had the skills to do that but I don't ...at all. Would be happy to stuff some bills in the tip jar if someone does it.

#742 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Has there been a basic guide put out on swapping vid clips yet? Would be very helpful even with one example.

Ask and ye shall receive!

Basically its as simple as removing the MicroSD card from your unit and plugging it into your computer. All assets are in the "assets" folder and are organized into two locations:
1. Events (for things like Hitchhiker, Gumball, Five Million Target Hit, Intro, Camera)
2. Modes (Clock Chaos, Clock Millions, Multiball, Super Slot, Spiral, Battle the Power, etc)

The document I attached lays out all the files on the SD card and what they're used for. Usually dropping one or multiple mp4 video files into a folder will cause the system to play one at random when the given mode is activated or the given event happens.

The screen size is 1280x390.

Don't hesitate to reach out with questions!
-- Jimmy

#743 2 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Ask and ye shall receive!
Basically its as simple as removing the MicroSD card from your unit and plugging it into your computer. All assets are in the "assets" folder and are organized into two locations:
1. Events (for things like Hitchhiker, Gumball, Five Million Target Hit, Intro, Camera)
2. Modes (Clock Chaos, Clock Millions, Multiball, Super Slot, Spiral, Battle the Power, etc)
The document I attached lays out all the files on the SD card and what they're used for. Usually dropping one or multiple mp4 video files into a folder will cause the system to play one at random when the given mode is activated or the given event happens.
The screen size is 1280x390.
Don't hesitate to reach out with questions!
-- Jimmy[quoted image]

Sweet! That helps a bunch. Ill get to tinkering with this tonight.

#744 2 years ago
Quoted from MarklarD:

Sweet! That helps a bunch. Ill get to tinkering with this tonight.

Sweet. If you run into any issues, feel free to DM me. We can also set up a call.

I can't wait to see what you do with it!
-- Jimmy

#745 2 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Sweet. If you run into any issues, feel free to DM me. We can also set up a call.
I can't wait to see what you do with it!
-- Jimmy

Hey Jimmy, the Tron mod looks great.

#746 2 years ago

I don't have access to my TZ for some time, but will reach out to you after that. That will be my autumn-project...

2 weeks later
#747 2 years ago

Finally received my unit ( not Compy fault, a friend was packing up stuff for me in the US before shipment to save on shipping cost, so I waited a few months before shipping to me)

Anyway, I noticed there is a 3A 12V PSU, seems rather high, has anyone tested powering the mod from J118 (which has both 5V and 12V)? Granted, I already have a Pin2dmd connected there, so not sure it will sustain the load, but I don't think my TZ has the power outlet (I'm not at home right now)

Cheers

#748 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Finally received my unit ( not Compy fault, a friend was packing up stuff for me in the US before shipment to save on shipping cost, so I waited a few months before shipping to me)
Anyway, I noticed there is a 3A 12V PSU, seems rather high, has anyone tested powering the mod from J118 (which has both 5V and 12V)? Granted, I already have a Pin2dmd connected there, so not sure it will sustain the load, but I don't think my TZ has the power outlet (I'm not at home right now)
Cheers

Not sure I would recommend that as the TZ boards are already taxed. Just use a power outlet for the 3 amps as suggested.

#749 2 years ago

I agree with Yelobird. Don't try to power it off of J118. We did that during early testing and the game wouldn't boot (no surprise). As a result, ALL of our boards are designed with an isolated/dedicated 12V@3A buck circuit that is switched on and off with the game. If you don't have a service outlet, then you can technically run the plug to anywhere outside the game. The small pigtail that we include that goes into the 2 pin connector is the 5V sensing cable which energizes a relay to switch the mod on and off.

The power was also spec'd that way so our WPC boards can use the expansion ports in the future without the need for separate power lines.

-- Jimmy

#750 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Cheers

Exported games often didn't have the service port wired in however it is possible to fit one if you need

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5008-01
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5851-09184-00

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 801 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mod-twilight-zone-interactive-backboard-display/page/15?hl=stumblor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.