7E983BC6-C31E-48C8-A6C6-5C8A7F9D4539 (resized).png
C21E73C1928420EFE49350C3977B93E1 (resized).jpg
158639739_3687172278045047_3030153382037794031_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20210308_193723671 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210308_193742522 (resized).jpg
C6FD8B51-55A2-472B-93DA-63658BBDA8FD (resized).jpeg
3AE1D9D9-F184-48A3-849A-9FF12CEC530B (resized).jpeg
million (resized).png
There are 801 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 17.
#1 3 years ago

Hello Pinsiders!

I’ve been working in the pinball “scene” as it were for the past several years. I’ve worked on some really cool projects, like Demolition Man 2000, TNA, Wizard Blocks, Kingpin, Pinball Circus, RM, Titan Pinball’s Kits Database and the P3 just to name a few. I firmly believe that part of the fun in owning/playing games is to make them your own.

Enter Twilight Zone. It’s a great game. It’s warped, it has several Rube Goldberg elements and it keeps me entertained. It occurred to me one day that the majority of the backsplash/backboard space is completely unused.

So, to address that, I’ve created the Interactive Backboard Display system with Twilight Zone being the first title. This system introduces a fully immersive, fully interactive 15” display that occupies most of the backboard space. This is not some stop-frame animation gimmick, this is rich video at over 30 frames per second!

This is not a Color DMD alternative, but is designed to interactively change the backboard artwork depending on the game modes that are active or completed. This display is fully interactive, and knows the game’s state!

Out of the box, the display comes with custom artwork and animations pre-programmed for the over 12 modes (plus a few extras!)

• Game introductions after pressing start
  • Camera awards
  • Hitchikers
  • Super Skill Shot
  • Greed
  • Clock Chaos
  • Clock Millions
  • Battle the Power
  • Super Slot
  • The Spiral
  • Fast Lock
  • Town Square Madness

***Fully Customizable***
Now, I know that what comes out the box might not appeal to everyone, so the system does allow you to take the SD card, load it onto your PC and replace the existing graphics or videos with ones of your choosing. Create a display package for yourself, or share your setup with others, it’s up to you!

Each kit comes with the following:

• Display Controller & Game Sensing Card
  • 15” ruggedized display panel inset into a 23” wooden back panel (matched to original specs)
  • Easy-mount brackets that utilize existing backboard mounting holes
  • Display power, HDMI and data cables
  • Fully loaded/preconfigured SD card with graphics and videos ready-to-go

***Pricing***
The projected price here is $449 for the entire kit

***Availability & How to Get One***
I’ve ordered enough parts to assemble, test and ship 20 units. Display panels are in stock and the remaining parts should be arriving over the next few weeks.

Subsequent runs will be based on demand, but the idea is to always have a few in stock so that those who want one can get one.

Please show interest in this thread or send me a DM.

Once the assembly of these units is nearing completion, I’ll coordinate shipping and payment with the first batch directly. I don’t want any money from you until I’m sure things are good to go.

***Future Work***
I’m starting out with Twilight Zone because it was the first game I designed this mod for, but I can say that I have three other titles in the works right now.

***Demo & Pictures***

Feel free to ask any questions you like!

-- Jimmy
spiral (resized).pngspiral (resized).pngbattle_power (resized).pngbattle_power (resized).pngclock_chaos (resized).pngclock_chaos (resized).pngclock_millions (resized).pngclock_millions (resized).pngfastlock_funhouse (resized).pngfastlock_funhouse (resized).pngfastlock_taf (resized).pngfastlock_taf (resized).pngfastlock_whirlwind (resized).pngfastlock_whirlwind (resized).pnggame_start (resized).pnggame_start (resized).pnggreed (resized).pnggreed (resized).pngpowerball (resized).pngpowerball (resized).pngsuper_skill (resized).pngsuper_skill (resized).pngsuperslot (resized).pngsuperslot (resized).pngtownsqmadness (resized).pngtownsqmadness (resized).pngIMG_20200912_191540 (resized).jpgIMG_20200912_191540 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Like what I am seeing! I would be in on this kit for sure.

#3 3 years ago

Very cool!

#4 3 years ago

Pretty cool!

#5 3 years ago

First I would like to say awesome. I am in. Second, please use this wisdom and make something for the creature window.

#7 3 years ago

Wow, this is super cool! Nice work dude!!!

#8 3 years ago

Amazing!!!!
Thank you for contributing to the hobby and bringing us cool stuff.
I dont have a TZ, but sure want one now.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Amazing!!!!
Thank you for contributing to the hobby and bringing us cool stuff.
I dont have a TZ, but sure want one now.

Thank you kindly, and thank you for all you do in the business!

Fear not, for at least one game in your collection is an upcoming title for this mod

#10 3 years ago

Thank you all very much for the kind words. My goal is to make this as tasteful as possible, so any ideas are welcome!

Quoted from freeplay3:

First I would like to say awesome. I am in. Second, please use this wisdom and make something for the creature window.

Thank you kindly . Aren't there already like 3-4 of those out there?

#11 3 years ago

Nothing new available. There is one thread out there that's been going for a while. He has shown progress lately but nothing as finished as yours

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

Nothing new available. There is one thread out there that's been going for a while. He has shown progress lately but nothing as finished as yours

Well that saddens me! I think it's a great idea and a great product. The creech holo mod I know was discontinued originally (the MikeD mod?). Though I think Stephen? in Germany was going to do another version of it and got busy. When I get near the end of this initial run and testing, if they reach out to me, I'm happy to help. Otherwise I can take a stab at it. I think a 7" display and my current control system would fit perfectly.

#13 3 years ago

Wow, very cool. Twilight zone gets all the cool mods! Great work!!!

#14 3 years ago

Far freaking out!

#15 3 years ago

Very cool! I want one for my TZ!

#16 3 years ago

Shit, now I need to get a TZ so I can get one of these. Very cool!

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Wow, very cool. Twilight zone gets all the cool mods! Great work!!!

And stupid Marsha gets all the boys! Thanks Frank Love your work!

Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Shit, now I need to get a TZ so I can get one of these. Very cool!

TZ is actually a fun game. I know several friends despise it, but I love the theme and execution of it all. It certainly kicks my ass (as evidenced in the video).

#18 3 years ago

Hmmmm...this or a color DMD for my TZ?...

#19 3 years ago

Wow! That's really cool how it keep up with the modes. How does it install?

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Wow! That's really cool how it keep up with the modes. How does it install?

Thanks! I had a LOT of fun designing this. I'm putting together installation instructions/video for all of that. Basically the gist is as follows:

1. Plug the controller card we ship with the unit into the sound board in the backbox (with supplied mounting screws and cable)
  2. Remove your existing backboard assembly using 5 screws at the rear of the playfield
  3. Install the new Interactive Backboard assembly using the 2 existing screw holes on the end with supplied bracket and screws. (You can optionally install the brackets first, then lower the playfield and screw the backboard display to the brackets separately)
  4. Plug the given power supply into the service outlet or external wall outlet. I am testing a dedicated 12V solution, but I insist on running extended tests to make sure we're not over-taxing the game's 12V system. If these tests are positive, I'll ship everyone a supply harness.
  5. Connect the display/power harness to both the display and the controller board in the backbox
  6. Light it up!
#21 3 years ago

Sign me up! Great job! I’ll take one.
How long until you are ready to ship?

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from KingAndy:

Ditto, take my money

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from KingAndy:

Quoted from Dewman:

Ditto, take my money

Quoted from qbass187:

How do I get on this list???

I sent him a PM. He got back to me very quickly

#25 3 years ago

I will buy one! Thanks

#26 3 years ago

I like how much better and actually working unlike that creature pinball mod by PinballSP

#27 3 years ago

This is really cool! Nice work!

#28 3 years ago

Very nice! PM sent.

#29 3 years ago

Love love love it!!!!!! TZ is my fav game so when I reaquire the game I am getting this for sure. Good job!!!

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

I like how much better and actually working unlike that creature pinball mod by PinballSP

Lol

#31 3 years ago

Sweet! Love to see the output go to a Large Monitor instead of Translite!

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Sweet! Love to see the output go to a Large Monitor instead of Translite!

Thanks Art! I definitely want to survey all sorts of ways we can keep mods interactive and on the playfield wherever possible. Anyone thinking of making something of that sort, I'm always happy to help.

Hope you're living it up post-Comet. Love your stuff, even if we were friendly competitors between Titan and Comet You did this industry a big solid.

-- Jimmy

#33 3 years ago

Put me on the list. I’m in

#34 3 years ago

You mention a "ruggedized display panel". Any thought of possibly putting a Lexan cover over the display to protect it from errant air balls or do you think it's not really necessary?

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Thanks Art! I definitely want to survey all sorts of ways we can keep mods interactive and on the playfield wherever possible. Anyone thinking of making something of that sort, I'm always happy to help.
Hope you're living it up post-Comet. Love your stuff, even if we were friendly competitors between Titan and Comet You did this industry a big solid.
-- Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy,

Glad you are running a good ship, as is Ryan. Best Wishes for continued success.
I hope Matt shared some of the stories....We never felt we were competitors, more co-conspirators!

Is there any additional output ports on your creation?

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

You mention a "ruggedized display panel". Any thought of possibly putting a Lexan cover over the display to protect it from errant air balls or do you think it's not really necessary?

Good question:

We're going to cut some PETG sheets and counter-sink the display at an angle a bit more to get an airgap. This helps with two things:
- Viewing angle for those over 6ft
- Protection from errant balls

I'm not that worried with TZ in particular because the plastic protector on the left ramp and the angle of the right ramp wall have never sent anything back there on my games (or others with appropriately spec'd flipper coils). Though, as we all know, things happen.

Other titles I'm testing on definitely will need some protection, so we're designing it in from the start.

Also, your name was bothering me and I finally remember where I saw it! You did the combo shooter mod for RFM/SW:E1. Great work! I could've definitely used it on my Wizard Blocks.

-- Jimmy

#37 3 years ago

What other games are on the drawing board?

#38 3 years ago

Interested in this.. This could be swapped to a different game if new games are coded correct? Any other pictures you could share? Curious how it looks from the player standpoint included with backglass

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thanks Jimmy,
Glad you are running a good ship, as is Ryan. Best Wishes for continued success.
I hope Matt shared some of the stories....We never felt we were competitors, more co-conspirators!
Is there any additional output ports on your creation?

Oh, all of the success of Titan is in the hands of Eric and Heather (and formerly Matt and Eve). They do the hard stuff, I just push the bits across the wire where they need to be. I remember when Matt was thinking of moving onto his next gig, you were one of the top of the list just with the way you ran things and how people loved your brand, then we found out you were retiring, haha. Great times.

Additional output ports as in display ports? What are you thinking? There's not, but there are ways we can achieve that, or I can potentially design an upgrade with an added HDMI port.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Oh, all of the success of Titan is in the hands of Eric and Heather (and formerly Matt and Eve). They do the hard stuff, I just push the bits across the wire where they need to be. I remember when Matt was thinking of moving onto his next gig, you were one of the top of the list just with the way you ran things and how people loved your brand, then we found out you were retiring, haha. Great times.
Additional output ports as in display ports? What are you thinking? There's not, but there are ways we can achieve that, or I can potentially design an upgrade with an added HDMI port.

That is a great idea. Certainly I know a few TZ-ers who would want to use that output for a topper....

#41 3 years ago

I’m amazed by this. If I still had a TZ....

*great* work.

#42 3 years ago

Please add me—amazing

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That is a great idea. Certainly I know a few TZ-ers who would want to use that output for a topper....

You crazy TZ people and your gadgets! Interesting, we could definitely make a topper, or at least empower you to make your own if you want to tinker. We can achieve that through a couple of different ways, either splitting at the cable or by extending the hardware outputs to push the pixels to the top display if you want some different types of interaction. Though simply splitting the signal would probably satisfy 90% of the world and much less cost.

Wicked cool!

#44 3 years ago

Add me I’m in

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Interested in this.. This could be swapped to a different game if new games are coded correct? Any other pictures you could share? Curious how it looks from the player standpoint included with backglass

The backboard is specific to the particular game. For example, the TZ backboard is exactly 23" and the display mounts are inset so that everything is exactly aligned to where I want it for TZ. Though if I make different backboards, I suppose I could just sell the backboard and you could transfer the display and controller over.

The software side would just be a different asset package for the most part. So yeah, largely transferrable.

I assume you want some pictures with the glass on, or you mean the actual backglass/translite? Happy to take some. It works best with a DMD deflector (Bent Plastic from Pinball Life for $8, or your glare guard variety).

#46 3 years ago

Maybe the best mod I’ve ever seen. Amazing work!

#47 3 years ago

Ya hafta do Metallica!

#48 3 years ago

Thanks that answers it. Could be cool to swap by purchasing new template. I only say that because Sometimes I’ll remove expensive mods before selling games to transfer to another.

Just interested in what it looks like from the front of the machine seeing the backglass/Translight with the dmd and your mod below as well as the angle you see it from standing in front of the machine. I don’t get that from the video. Just different angles than the pictures posted.

Thanks for doing this super cool

Quoted from Compy:

The backboard is specific to the particular game. For example, the TZ backboard is exactly 23" and the display mounts are inset so that everything is exactly aligned to where I want it for TZ. Though if I make different backboards, I suppose I could just sell the backboard and you could transfer the display and controller over.
The software side would just be a different asset package for the most part. So yeah, largely transferrable.
I assume you want some pictures with the glass on, or you mean the actual backglass/translite? Happy to take some. It works best with a DMD deflector (Bent Plastic from Pinball Life for $8, or your glare guard variety).

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Maybe the best mod I’ve ever seen. Amazing work!

You are too kind! Probably the most remarkable bit was that it was super fun to design. Hope everyone gets some enjoyment out of it! Also can't wait to see people create their own video packages.

Quoted from yzfguy:

Ya hafta do Metallica!

Ooooh, intriguing.... Lots of open space there...

Quoted from billyboy:

Put me on the list. I’m in

Gotcha.

Quoted from djsolzs:

Add me I’m in

You're in like Flynn.

Quoted from Blakester:

Please add me—amazing

You're in, and you got the last one too.

I'll see what I can do to expand this batch build based on the demand.

Quoted from attack7777:

I’m amazed by this. If I still had a TZ....
*great* work.

Thank you kindly I really appreciate the kind words.

Quoted from ToucanF16:

What other games are on the drawing board?

TAF, ToM, CFTBL, TNA, STTNG are games that have been requested or are either in active development. Demand definitely drives that priority there. I think I'll do a poll thread to get a bit more info if you guys and girls want.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

TAF, ToM, CFTBL, TNA, STTNG are games that have been requested or are either in active development. Demand definitely drives that priority there. I think I'll do a poll thread to get a bit more info if you guys and girls want.

I have all those pins! It could be five more sales! I'm following this closely!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 132.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.50
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

There are 801 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mod-twilight-zone-interactive-backboard-display/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.