2023-04-07_12-17-12 (resized).png
20230227_150759 (resized).jpg
20230227_150712 (resized).jpg
Capture tron (resized).JPG
DSCF1923[1] (resized).jpg
889AC05E-0510-4C04-8FFE-1D1FB2639D48 (resized).png
ECD30C83-C1A3-489D-8C19-B13EA8CFD142 (resized).png
FF42742B-FFE8-4CD8-B854-7B2516616B71 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobbyIRL5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Good evening!
Answering a few questions that have been asked on our website, emails, DMs etc so it might help the next few:
1. Do I have to remove my recognizer in order to use the display system?
If your game has a fixed (non oscillating) recognizer unit, absolutely not. We just replace the backboard assembly. If you have a moving backboard unit, yes, the recognizer is removed with it (it's part of the same assembly). For that, we're researching two options: a) mounting your recognizer assembly in a fixed location so it's still there, and b) a moving/interactive motor assembly that mounts in front of the display.

This looks awesome and I have ordered one. However, I have an LE with the moving recognizer and did not consider this when ordering (30 seconds after I got the email!). Am I reading that a) the intent is to mount this into a fixed position so that it no longer moves? Or b) keeping the moving part functional by mounting on the front of the display?

1 month later
#90 2 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Good morning all,
Major major major thanks to Venetic for having me on the stream. It was a crazy last minute decision as I had just intended to install the test unit and get some things going. Jordan and Becca (and cats) are gracious hosts and borderline insane pinball fans. The test went exceptionally well and we got some great feedback. Here's where we stand:
1. Printed circuit boards are done!
2. Software is done, we're just rolling in a few more video updates!
3. Anti-glare investigation - TRON has a ton of cool white GI, and to get the most out of the monitor, I'm looking for options to apply anti glare adhesives/plastic to the front. Our standard plastic is reverse printed PET-G.
4. I've swapped the monitors from standard TFT displays over to IPS displays. The only issue here is that IPS displays are a bit dimmer than their TFT counterparts which allows for greater dark contrast. While you can see the display clearly in-person, streaming it is hard due to glare and lower bright levels. But the picture is 10x better. We're getting more out there and getting more feedback.
5. Stern has quite a few DMD power options, so we're making more cable harnesses to accommodate that.
6. Finishing up light bar PCB design! We've got a strip of lights mounted to the top so you don't lose those back lights/flasher action.
7. Brackets! Got some final measurements yesterday to send those out.
More out the door next week!
-- Jimmy

Is the moving rectifier part of this package? I know I read you were looking into it. Looks great so far!

2 months later
#110 2 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Good evening all,
First off, thank you so much to all of you for being so patient. Like the rest of the world, we're plagued by freight/logistics delays and supply shortages. So here's where we're at:
1. We went in on a bulk order with the Pinball Mod Co. to the same display supplier. You may know Pinball Mod Co as the company that offers IPS display upgrades for Spooky games. The 15.6" TFT LCDs that we originally designed this with were becoming shorter and shorter in supply. So, to alleviate any concerns and offer a higher quality product, we upgraded everyone to IPS displays and took the hit on margin. Those IPS displays offer a MUCH crisper picture with a much greater color contrast.
We then got the IPS display panels, but the company shipped the wrong control cards. Scott at PMC tested various power adapters and dongles and determined that they weren't a viable option, so he hustled and ordered the replacement controller cards. Those are scheduled to be delivered to PMC Tomorrow or Wednesday and they'll turn around and ship to us. Everything domestically goes UPS, so I'd expect to have these in by Monday at the latest.
Here's the tracking:
[quoted image]
2. A MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR thanks to Fliptronic for lending me their TRON. For those who are wondering, the only units in existence are the prototypes I made. They were nice enough to test the unit, stream it and bring it to the Houston show this past weekend. Jordan and Becca, thank you so much. The test unit is now set up here for testing the initial units before they go out to you.
3. Plastics - We upgraded everyone to anti glare plastics. Through the testing on the Fliptronic stream, we noticed that it provided a much better picture given the bright LED GI that TRON has. This wasn't an issue on Twilight Zone just due to natural darkness at the back of the playfield. Unlike Twilight Zone units, everyone gets printed artwork plastics for free that match the playfield aesthetic.
4. Video assets - Done
5. Backboard CNC cutouts - Done
We've got all of the electronics for the controller boards in stock. We're currently assembling the cable harnesses by hand (as we do typically, but Molex shortages also make this a bit easier on time estimates).
Financially speaking, we haven't spent a dime of anyone's money. To date, I've only issued one refund to someone that decided to sell their game (hard to argue with current market demand!). However you'll be offered any chances to refund without so much as a glare just by shooting me an email. We'll honor those right up to the point where we assemble and ship your unit! Then of course, we'll offer refunds if you're not satisfied (pending a return of course!).
Sorry for the delay in updates, we've been heads down getting this thing polished up for recent shows. My phone number is also on the website, so feel free to call or email any time!
-- Jimmy

Thank you! Very excited. Wanted to ask about the moving recognized on an LE. Is that still planned?

2 months later
#169 2 years ago

Any update on timing of the Recognizer? Thanks!!

1 month later
#183 2 years ago

Any update on when the moving recognizer will be shipping?

1 month later
#189 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Any update on when the moving recognizer will be shipping?

Bump. I’ve had my kit in a box for a few months now but with an LE, not planning on installing until the moving recognizer is ready.

Thanks!

1 month later
#215 1 year ago

Any update on the moving recogziners?

#223 1 year ago

Any word on the moving recognizers? My screen is still in a box, waiting to get the moving recognizer portion of the mod.

3 weeks later
#224 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Any word on the moving recognizers? My screen is still in a box, waiting to get the moving recognizer portion of the mod.

Bumping this post, still need a moving recognizer!!

#226 1 year ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Contact Jimmy for a moving recoginizer. Saying you want one in this thread isn't how I ordered one. By the way no reason to have your kit in a box. Adding the recoginizer later isn't a big deal.

I ordered this the day it was announced with a moving recognizer (even though it was just a concept then), and then again once they started showing up. My buddy got his with his kit, mine came without it and communicated it at the time, my understanding was there were issues with it. And have heard the were coming soon or something along those lines. The moving recognizer is more important to me than this mod, so disagree with your last statement. Love the screen, have it on my TZ, but not having the moving recognizer (or in this case having any recognizer at on all the LE), doesn’t work for me.
Haven’t seen many complaints (recently) so maybe it’s just me without one and I need to reach back out.

#227 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I ordered this the day it was announced with a moving recognizer (even though it was just a concept then), and then again once they started showing up. My buddy got his with his kit, mine came without it and communicated it at the time, my understanding was there were issues with it. And have heard the were coming soon or something along those lines. The moving recognizer is more important to me than this mod, so disagree with your last statement. Love the screen, have it on my TZ, but not having the moving recognizer (or in this case having any recognizer at on all the LE), doesn’t work for me.

Haven’t seen many complaints (recently) so maybe it’s just me without one and I need to reach back out.

#229 1 year ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

My advice is to email Jimmy directly.

Agreed and will do.

1 week later
#233 1 year ago

This mod is so cool. Have my Tron LE side by side with my TZ, both with the 86 pixels mods. Brings new life into both of these already great games!

#238 1 year ago

I finally got this kit installed as I posted above and it is awesome. I also added Tekman board for the LE, to retain the Recognizer behavior as designed (works in testing also), its a few posts back, would recommend!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobbyIRL5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mod-tron-interactive-backboard-display?tu=RobbyIRL5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.