2023-04-07_12-17-12 (resized).png
20230227_150759 (resized).jpg
20230227_150712 (resized).jpg
Capture tron (resized).JPG
DSCF1923[1] (resized).jpg
889AC05E-0510-4C04-8FFE-1D1FB2639D48 (resized).png
ECD30C83-C1A3-489D-8C19-B13EA8CFD142 (resized).png
FF42742B-FFE8-4CD8-B854-7B2516616B71 (resized).jpeg
There are 358 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
#301 1 year ago

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay. Work has been hectic (I don't do 86Pixels stuff full time, but I wish I did!). So here's where we're at on things:

1. We're queuing up interest for another run of displays.
2. Moving recognizers are in the works. There's still some finessing of the design to be had. Basically I'm trying to get things to be as hidden as possible while still being easy to install. If you want one of the old ones, that's fine, I can get those out in a few days.
3. Yes, we've stated in some conversations that we want to re-run the fiber optic ramps. In discussions with Eli, he didn't mind if we re-ran it. Then the question of whether or not to build it into the pinvision platform was raised. I've decided that the fiber optic mod is probably best on its own so that customers aren't required to purchase a product they don't want. With that said, I just have to reverse engineer the address decoding between the CPU and the driver board. Lighting boards are already designed with the appropriate lengths and thicknesses of fiber optic cable sitting in stock.

I've had people contacting me weekly/monthly about status updates, so apologies if I miss a few emails. I generally don't respond to the repeated weekly requests unless I have a significant update, but sometimes other emails get filed away.

Anywho, that's where we are!

-- Jimmy

#302 1 year ago

Jimmie, thanks for the update! For anyone on the fence on the LCD mod, it is fantastic! The lighting effects from the LED strip are beautiful and integrated into gameplay smoothly. Thanks for doing this, it is what prompted me to finally get a Pro. This is my favorite game in a long time, beats out the newer Sterns for me. Can’t wait to see the fiber optic and recognizer!

#303 1 year ago

I’m in for a Tron PinVision and a light bar please, I don’t have a moving recogniser so either will do.
I do have total lightshow fitted so just wondered if PinVision will work with that.
I’ve literally just finished stripping and rebuilding mine so would love PinVision on it to be the icing on the cake
Just working on my light cycle to go on my topper, the topper main display is on when pin on, I fitted a switch to the drop bank so when it lowers the recogniser lights as well as the 2 discs on the topper for disc MB.
Then the light cycle will light for light cycle mb, it’s all wired, just have to modify the wiring internally on the light cycle.
Tron is a fantastic pin

2458086B-9110-4B66-B24B-30C8D76F04A3 (resized).jpeg2458086B-9110-4B66-B24B-30C8D76F04A3 (resized).jpeg889AC05E-0510-4C04-8FFE-1D1FB2639D48 (resized).png889AC05E-0510-4C04-8FFE-1D1FB2639D48 (resized).pngECD30C83-C1A3-489D-8C19-B13EA8CFD142 (resized).pngECD30C83-C1A3-489D-8C19-B13EA8CFD142 (resized).pngFF42742B-FFE8-4CD8-B854-7B2516616B71 (resized).jpegFF42742B-FFE8-4CD8-B854-7B2516616B71 (resized).jpeg

#304 1 year ago

Hey Compy , hint hint....

Great suspect with the loyalty the other two you have already done have.

Can't buy one second hand in Australia.

DSCF1923[1] (resized).jpgDSCF1923[1] (resized).jpg

DeadpoolInteractiveBackboardPunkin

#305 1 year ago

I'd like to be added to the line for the 2nd run of displays and for the lit ramps kit when it becomes available as well.

What's the best way to make that official?

#306 1 year ago

I would also like to be added to the list of displays as well as a lit ramp kit.

#307 1 year ago

Can you add me to the list for the next run for a PinVision Tron LE display?

#308 1 year ago

I'm interested in a PRO version

#309 1 year ago

Please add me to the list for Tron LE.

#310 1 year ago

Hi Jimmie - Making sure you have me down for a Pinvision for my LE. Thank you!

#311 1 year ago

If your doing another run.
I'm in for the pinvison and lighted ramps for a pro version.

#312 1 year ago

I have messaged in DM and email, so trying in here as I read above that an alert is set. Can you please respond about moving recognizers for the LE? I need one please.

I glossed over the fact I needed to order that, as the attached image from the website incorrectly says 'Note for Tron Pro Owners' which I guess was meant to say LE. As soon as I saw 'Pro' I skipped ahead and missed an important note.

So now I have installed I realize I do need the extra recognizer please.

Capture tron (resized).JPGCapture tron (resized).JPG
#313 1 year ago

Please add me to the next run for Tron Pro.

3 weeks later
#314 1 year ago

Please also add me for the next run for Tron Pro too, 1x backboard and 2x ramp kits if possible.

1 week later
#315 1 year ago

Good afternoon all!

We've restocked Tron Pro units. Units ordered will be assembled and shipped after TPF (next week). We'll also have units for sale at the show.

#316 1 year ago

I order one of the pro's but have an LE. I hope you will offer the parts for it to work on the LE's.

#317 1 year ago

U have to get one.It makes the game a step above!!

20230227_150712 (resized).jpg20230227_150712 (resized).jpg20230227_150759 (resized).jpg20230227_150759 (resized).jpg
#318 1 year ago

They are pretty cool, but i am the only one who knows it's there unless i geekilly point it out.

Still happy to have it, and totally love it.

From a guy who won't spend the same dosh on the 100% popular Alien apron this is the business.

2 weeks later
#319 1 year ago

I just installed the pinvision mod from the latest spring 2023 batch and it looks awesome!

The install is easy, but here are a few quick tips and thoughts...
Thoughts:
- I did not like the light bar hooked up at all. It took away from the look and feel of the game where everything is dark around all the awesome light shows just pop. I turn off the room lights when playing for this very reason. The light bar is optional though, so I just unplugged it.
- I was getting a lot of glare from the DMD blocking the view of the new display so I am going to buy bent plastic or glare guard from pinballlife.com
- The velcro provided for the light cycles leaves much to be desired. Even in the photos in this thread, it looks like everyone's light cycles are leaning because of the weak velcro. Instead, I used some strong scotch mounting fasteners and it works great. Cycles stand straight up and are very secure.

Install process is pretty simple:
1. Remove old backboard
2. Relocate Light Cycles (says optional, but if I'm spending the time and money on this mod, I want it to be as visible as possible)
3. Install new display backboard
4. Mount pinvision controller board inside backbox
5. Hook up all the plugs and wires

The controller board hookup instructions are a bit tedious to read and needed more visuals, so I put this together to maybe help someone in future:
pinvision controller boardpinvision controller board

And a little text and a few arrows goes a long way...this is showing the step to hook up the power sensing piggyback PCB setup to the game motherboard at J11:
Motherboard J11 with pinvision piggyback PCBMotherboard J11 with pinvision piggyback PCB

Glare from DMD
2023-04-07_13-25-39 (resized).png2023-04-07_13-25-39 (resized).png

No Glare after using cardboard as a temporary "bent plastic" type solution until I can get a real one:
2023-04-07_13-26-05 (resized).png2023-04-07_13-26-05 (resized).png

Light cycles straight up, firm, and secure with scotch fasteners cut into small squares:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00347A8GM/
2023-04-07_13-33-06 (resized).png2023-04-07_13-33-06 (resized).png
2023-04-07_13-35-24 (resized).png2023-04-07_13-35-24 (resized).png
2023-04-07_13-35-40 (resized).png2023-04-07_13-35-40 (resized).png

She's a beauty
F77074AB-91B3-491F-9EF2-3DCF4055F4D2_1_102_o (resized).jpegF77074AB-91B3-491F-9EF2-3DCF4055F4D2_1_102_o (resized).jpeg

#320 1 year ago

Yeah, i had to use good double sided tape to hold my cycles up. Haven't moved since though. I'll try the thing about unplugging the light bar, where does that plug in?

#321 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

Yeah, i had to use good double sided tape to hold my cycles up. Haven't moved since though. I'll try the thing about unplugging the light bar, where does that plug in?

The light bar is plugged into expansion 2 of the pinvision controller board. You can see the empty connector here in this photo on the bottom left circled in red:
2023-04-07_12-17-12 (resized).png2023-04-07_12-17-12 (resized).png

#322 1 year ago
Quoted from foobeer:

The light bar is plugged into expansion 2 of the pinvision controller board. You can see the empty connector here in this photo on the bottom left:
[quoted image]

The lighting effects from the light strip are really good, so I don't want to unplug it, creates a cool effect in various modes. I think you can go into the software and adjust the level of lighting, but haven't bothered doing that yet.

#323 1 year ago
Quoted from dts:

The lighting effects from the light strip are really good, so I don't want to unplug it, creates a cool effect in various modes. I think you can go into the software and adjust the level of lighting, but haven't bothered doing that yet.

Thanks for the tip, I will do a little research and may give that a try!

#324 1 year ago
Quoted from dts:

I think you can go into the software and adjust the level of lighting, but haven't bothered doing that yet.

I just did a quick skim of the manual and only saw instructions for putting in custom animations and doing software updates.
Do you have any information on how to adjust settings, specifically the light bar brightness?

#325 1 year ago
Quoted from foobeer:

I just did a quick skim of the manual and only saw instructions for putting in custom animations and doing software updates.
Do you have any information on how to adjust settings, specifically the light bar brightness?

I know you have to take out the microSD and connect to the computer with an adapter. I can't find mine right now so haven't gotten that far. Pretty sure Jimmie gets alerts from this thread, maybe he can give us some instructions.

#326 1 year ago
Quoted from foobeer:

1. Added 2 new settings to DisplayConfig.txt
brightness - Controls the brightness of all lamps on the lightbar from 0-4 (0 being off, 4 being surface of the sun)
disable_gameplay_lamps - When set to zero, disables the lightbar when a mode isn't active, also disables the bright white lights during Flynn's Arcade. This should prevent washout. (set to 0 to leave gameplay lamps enabled, set to 1 to disable them)

#327 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

disable_gameplay_lamps - When set to zero, disables the lightbar when a mode isn't active, also disables the bright white lights during Flynn's Arcade. This should prevent washout. (set to 0 to leave gameplay lamps enabled, set to 1 to disable them)

This is exactly what I would want to see. I’m going to give this a shot. Thanks!

1 month later
#328 11 months ago

Still loving this mod, just a great addition to the game. Are the moving recognizers worth having on the pro? I would really like to see fiber optic connecting into this, but Jimmie probably is super busy.

#329 11 months ago
Quoted from dts:

Still loving this mod, just a great addition to the game. Are the moving recognizers worth having on the pro? I would really like to see fiber optic connecting into this, but Jimmie probably is super busy.

Love the mod too, but whether the stupid toy moves or not doesn't interest me in the slightest.

One persons opinion, seeing as you asked.

1 month later
#330 9 months ago

Has anyone added movie vid clips that correlate with modes?

3 weeks later
#331 8 months ago

Did anyone have to take protective plastic off the backboard bc I swear mine has none. Maybe some do some don’t? Instructions make it send this is the case but wanted to make sure as I’ve really looked to peel but doesn’t seem possible.

#332 8 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

Did anyone have to take protective plastic off the backboard bc I swear mine has none. Maybe some do some don’t? Instructions make it send this is the case but wanted to make sure as I’ve really looked to peel but doesn’t seem possible.

Some had protective plastic, however there were cases where the protective plastic on one side could peel/chip the print off if not done properly, so we do it now before units go out. This is largely because we're not printing on standard PETG. Since we use non-glare plastics, there's a different print adhesion process.

If you can see the screen AND the artwork from the front, there is no protective plastic. The protective coatings were "brown paper" colored on one side and white plastic on the other. You'd definitely know its there.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Jimmy

#333 8 months ago
Quoted from Compy:

Some had protective plastic, however there were cases where the protective plastic on one side could peel/chip the print off if not done properly, so we do it now before units go out. This is largely because we're not printing on standard PETG. Since we use non-glare plastics, there's a different print adhesion process.
If you can see the screen AND the artwork from the front, there is no protective plastic. The protective coatings were "brown paper" colored on one side and white plastic on the other. You'd definitely know its there.
Let me know if you have any questions!
Jimmy

Thanks jimmy. This was a unit purchased from your recent batch (made about 8mths ago) so I’m assuming no plastic was on it as it seems like the newer ones didn’t come with them anymore based on the new process? I’m also assuming the newest code is on the latest batch sent as well but I can check.

Also I’m interested in getting a moving recognizer as well. Seems like you have stock of the old one you were making but a new one is coming out soon?

As for the clips shown on the card, sounds pretty easy to replace with movie ones if so desired which is great.

Install was pretty easy as others mentioned and it looks really good. Highly recommended. Thanks!

1 month later
#334 7 months ago

Thought I'd let folks know I'm at the tail end of a Tron/DOT arcade style retheme.

#335 7 months ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Thought I'd let folks know I'm at the tale end of a Tron/DOT arcade style retheme.

Looks great! Absolutely like the original Tron arcade back image.

#336 6 months ago

That's really awesome digitaldocc - did you replace a file on the backboard with that image/clip?

#337 6 months ago
Quoted from roscoepinball:

That's really awesome digitaldocc - did you replace a file on the backboard with that image/clip?

Exactly. It's in Jimmy's instructions. The folders on the memory card are named logically and all you have to do is drop mp4 and png files. The resolution deets are in the manual.

I have a few hours rendering today but hope later on I can shoot a video of my arcade retheme package and show it off. If anyone thinks it's worthy of their Tron I'd be happy to share. I've dusted off some old compositing skills and put some professional touches and elbow grease into it.

Truth be told I was going to trade my tron but now it's bolted to the ground again.

#338 6 months ago

Fascinated to see what you come up with. such a great mod, and Jimmy's service is ace too.

#339 6 months ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Exactly. It's in Jimmy's instructions. The folders on the memory card are named logically and all you have to do is drop mp4 and png files. The resolution deets are in the manual.
I have a few hours rendering today but hope later on I can shoot a video of my arcade retheme package and show it off. If anyone thinks it's worthy of their Tron I'd be happy to share. I've dusted off some old compositing skills and put some professional touches and elbow grease into it.
Truth be told I was going to trade my tron but now it's bolted to the ground again.

Cannot wait to see it!

#340 6 months ago

So what I thought was the final version isn't but here is what I have anyway if you can stomach my vomit cam. Also colors pop more in person.

Attract through quorra (need to try again on quorra)

Here is just flynn's arcade flooded with unfriendly light to remove camera glare. Playfield glass is also on.

#341 6 months ago

That is badass! Would love the files if you’re willing to share.

#342 6 months ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

That is badass! Would love the files if you’re willing to share.

Thanks for the compliment as badassory was what drove the retheme.

To avoid the wrath of the mouse I'm not posting a download link in the forum but if you hit me up on DM, why not help me test it out? Feel free to bounce any ideas you have my way.

#343 6 months ago

A few people wanted to help me test so I'll reach out soon. In the meantime, here is my latest versions of all the rethemed video and image assets through portal. This evening I really nailed sea of simulation with a nice OG Easter egg. For your viewing enjoyment I used a tripod this time.

If any of you are on the fence about getting Jimmy's mod. Don't even hesitate. Its awesome.

#344 6 months ago

It is indeed.

#345 6 months ago

Did he make a complete additional run ? In the end, I might get tempted...

EDIT: just checked his website, yes it seems it's available. But I'm unclear if the moving recognizer is included ?

#346 6 months ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Did he make a complete additional run ? In the end, I might get tempted...
EDIT: just checked his website, yes it seems it's available. But I'm unclear if the moving recognizer is included ?

Just ask Compy

1 week later
#347 6 months ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

A few people wanted to help me test so I'll reach out soon. In the meantime, here is my latest versions of all the rethemed video and image assets through portal. This evening I really nailed sea of simulation with a nice OG Easter egg. For your viewing enjoyment I used a tripod this time.

Man that’s awesome! I keep re-visiting this thread waiting to see if someone dives into putting scenes from the movie into this mod, like the ‘Daft Punk fight scene’ for ZUSE mode with Castor ‘shooting’ his cane around. But I never thought of incorporating the arcade machine material that’s brilliant.
Dumb Question: Is there a version without the Anime gratuitous busted babes in it?(; ifso I’d love to test drive this too - the wife (w kids) is finally ok with Quorra and Gem, but she won’t take kindly to those new gals!((;

#348 6 months ago
Quoted from ArcadeBar:

Man that’s awesome! I keep re-visiting this thread waiting to see if someone dives into putting scenes from the movie into this mod, like the ‘Daft Punk fight scene’ for ZUSE mode with Castor ‘shooting’ his cane around. But I never thought of incorporating the arcade machine material that’s brilliant.
Dumb Question: Is there a version without the Anime gratuitous busted babes in it?(; ifso I’d love to test drive this too - the wife (w kids) is finally ok with Quorra and Gem, but she won’t take kindly to those new gals!((;

Thanks for the kind words. Your in charge of what gets replaced on your memory card. Just don't replace the events and the images flying in will remain stock. There wasn't a lot of source material for the image events so if someone has a better idea let me know.

#349 6 months ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Thanks for the kind words. Your in charge of what gets replaced on your memory card. Just don't replace the events and the images flying in will remain stock. There wasn't a lot of source material for the image events so if someone has a better idea let me know.

Ok gotcha...so I can put a pic of my wife in there instead and shut her up lol. Nice clips of Clue getting tortured by the MPC in the Sea of Simulation!

#350 6 months ago

Agreed! Absolutely fantastic work!

Quoted from ArcadeBar:

Ok gotcha...so I can put a pic of my wife in there instead

You totally could! I put her name on a custom software version of my Demolition Man and she never wants me to sell it. She still mentions it from time to time when people come over!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 358 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mod-tron-interactive-backboard-display/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.