TSPP_V2_Install_1_(resized).jpg
TSPP_V2_Install_2_(resized).jpg
Photo_2015-11-18_06-46-50_AM.png
KISS3.jpg
SS2.jpg
BSD3.jpg
BSD2.jpg
2015-09-10_08.04.21.jpg

There are 437 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.
#101 9 years ago

I want one for my Mustang - Paul damn you

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

What about a "field" of the floating tree seeds? This is just a quick mock up:

Sorry for the tease on the mock up. The artwork to get that one ready requires more time than I have right now. The one below, however, can be ready very soon:

TreeOfSouls.jpgTreeOfSouls.jpg

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

First, tremendous mod! Absolutely awesome!
Second,any chance you plan to add additional offerings from Stern such as Shrek, Family Guy or Avengers (Hulk LE)?
Thanks!
Marcus

First, thanks! Second, yes, if all goes well with these initial designs.

#104 9 years ago

Sparky,

How about video version for ACDC? I know there is mod to replace dancing band, but it runs almost $400. These are much smaller such that one or even two could be used to show concert footage.

Any chance a bigger sized version could be in the making?

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Sparky,
How about video version for ACDC? I know there is mod to replace dancing band, but it runs almost $400. These are much smaller such that one or even two could be used to show concert footage.
Any chance a bigger sized version could be in the making?

ACDC was planned to be part of the initial release, but it was tabled for "future release" for various reasons. There are a lot of titles I hope to do, and ACDC will probably be sooner than later.

A bigger size display won't work for playing videos on these particular devices. (Long winded explanation following): The current size plays 1/2 speed, so video has to be edited to 2x to play at normal speed. The dropped frames per second are not that noticeable on a screen this size, especially for our purposes. TSPP uses a slightly larger screen, and the video needs to be edited 2.5x to play at normal speed. I tried larger screens (up to 4.3" diagonal), and the frames per second are HORRIBLE. I had to speed the video close to 5x, but then the dropped frames make the video look very jumpy. These are not intended to be used as media players, and that's the reason for the poor frames per second, but for our purposes, the small size works because it plays on power, repeats, and still has a nice picture. To do that, it's relatively inexpensive.

I believe the small size, the universal design for all games, the simplicity of the device (plug n play), and the relatively low cost makes the MDM a good option...but I'm the guy selling them, so what do I know?

#106 9 years ago

Cool, thanks for explaining. I'll be ordering one for TSPP and waiting to see acdc when available.

#107 9 years ago

If you're a podcast listener, I had an interview with Charlie on the current episode of Spooky Pinball (ep 53):

http://www.spookypinball.com/podcast-2/

Don and Jeff of The Pinball Podcast talk about the MDM's they received/installed on their current episode 37 (Jeff hadn't installed his yet):

http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/

If you've listened, let me know what you think!

#108 9 years ago

OK folks here's my set-up and review. First off I gotta say this is really cool, to see the band playin while your playin really got me goin, never mind that the vid isn't in sync with the game it's fun seein them jam (out of the corner of your eye) while your jammin on the game AND listening to THEM jam on the game audio, it's REALLY a jamfest now.

The video is nice and bright and sharp and the bezel looks right at home on the pf. I mounted mine just above the right sling plastic inbetween the wire ramp and the shooter lane and angled it upward so the player is looking straight at the screen in a normal heads down playing position. It's the perfect place IMO.

This mod is just amazing for it's size and the build quality is excellent and the vid plays almost perfectly, not at 30fps but really very close, I'd say something like 27 but it really doesn't bother me and I'm a vid guy too.

The only negative is that a 12v splitter should come included and bump the price up a couple of bucks. We all could use an extra splitter.

So GREAT job Sparky and I look forward to hooking up my other 2....but first I have to buy more power splitters.

IMGA0180.JPGIMGA0180.JPG IMGA0181.JPGIMGA0181.JPG
#109 9 years ago

Cant wait to install my STTNG one!

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

... I mounted mine just above the right sling plastic inbetween the wire ramp and the shooter lane and angled it upward so the player is looking straight at the screen in a normal heads down playing position. It's the perfect place IMO.

Looks great in that spot, Paul! I thought about moving mine above the Crank It Up scoop, but I may have to consider your spot now! Just to be clear, you added the metal hex spacer to raise it to that height, correct?

Quoted from MustangPaul:

...The only negative is that a 12v splitter should come included and bump the price up a couple of bucks. We all could use an extra splitter.
So GREAT job Sparky and I look forward to hooking up my other 2....but first I have to buy more power splitters

Make sure that splitter includes the 5v pin. The 3-pin plug on the Stern games and WPC Power Taps are ground/5v/12v. Looking at the splitters on mezelmods.com, It appears they are only 12v. That won't work for these. The 5v pin needs to be part of that splitter.

GND 5v 12v Plug.jpgGND 5v 12v Plug.jpg

Also to be clear, splitters are only required if you are already using that plug for other mods. Stern Power Taps or FTS-8 splitters are also an option.

Thanks for the review, Paul! Looking forward to seeing your install pics on Mustang and ST!

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Just to be clear, you added the metal hex spacer to raise it to that height, correct?

Oups...Yes I forgot to state that it's a #6 thread, one of the MANY extras I have from using Pinballbulbs 2 spotlight spotlight kits. I think that is the perfect spot of it, as you plunge the ball you can see it and as you sweep the middle of the field you can see it.

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Make sure that splitter includes the 5v pin. The 3-pin plug on the Stern games and WPC Power Taps are ground/5v/12v. Looking at the splitters on mezelmods.com, It appears they are only 12v. That won't work for these. The 5v pin needs to be part of that splitter.

Your mod only uses 2 wires the 5v and the ground correct?

#113 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Your mod only uses 2 wires the 5v and the ground correct?

Correct. You need to tap the middle pin position from the plug or splitter, as shown in the pic above. It's ok if the splitter includes the 12v because it won't be connected to anything on the MDM, and you may want to use the split end for another 12v mod. Hope that makes sense.

#114 9 years ago

Sparky, do you have a part number of name for that connector?

Edit: Molex 03-09-2032? Is this it?

#115 9 years ago

I sure wish you sold the splitters Sparky cuz now I have to spend an extra $7 or whatever on shipping from another company and wait, would have shipped pretty much for free with my order. I don't know when I'll place an order for just 3 splitters. Hey money is money, I try not to spend it if I don't have to. You would be a "one stop shop" then.

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Sparky, do you have a part number of name for that connector?
Edit: Molex 03-09-2032? Is this it?

The connector on my end is 03-09-2031 (no dog ears tabs), but the splitter or Stern end is 03-09-1032.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

I sure wish you sold the splitters Sparky cuz now I have to spend an extra $7 or whatever on shipping from another company and wait, would have shipped pretty much for free with my order. I don't know when I'll place an order for just 3 splitters. Hey money is money, I try not to spend it if I don't have to. You would be a "one stop shop" then.

Sorry, Paul. I considered splitters at one point, and I will look into adding it as a shopping cart option.

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Sorry, Paul. I considered splitters at one point, and I will look into adding it as a shopping cart option.

Thanks, all I ask is that you think about it, I know I would have bought 3.

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

Cant wait to install my STTNG one!

You received it, right? You just haven't had time to install?

I'd like to see pics if you find a location different than where I installed mine.

#119 9 years ago

Could these be modded to be wired into a system 11 or 80B? It would just be a case of finding a way to power it, right?

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from travisbmartin:

It would just be a case of finding a way to power it, right?

Yes, it's just drawing power from the game. I don't know where you could tap into though.

#121 9 years ago

Could these be modded to be wired into a system 11 or 80B? It would just be a case of finding a way to power it, right?

Yes, like Paul said. It has to be regulated 5 volt. Sys 11 should be easy because Mike at DK Pinball has power taps available (he lists a few as coming soon). I'm not sure where to tap 80b.

#122 9 years ago

I'm sure I can find 5v on my Gottlieb. This has some serious potential for turning my Time Line into a custom game.

#123 9 years ago

I'm sure I can find 5v on my Gottlieb. This has some serious potential for turning my Time Line into a custom game.

How much room is there between the glass and the playfield parts on an 80b? Seems like the glass is right on top of everything. Sys11 games and newer have a lot more depth under the glass.

#124 9 years ago

It's close to the glass. I'd have to mod the playfield to make it fit. Or I could put it in another game sometime. I'm sort of a tech hoarder.

#125 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

If you're a podcast listener, I had an interview with Charlie on the current episode of Spooky Pinball (ep 53):
http://www.spookypinball.com/podcast-2/
Don and Jeff of The Pinball Podcast talk about the MDM's they received/installed on their current episode 37 (Jeff hadn't installed his yet):
http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/
If you've listened, let me know what you think!

great interview sparky - looking forward to getting the xmen mdm down here in oz - will certainly send some pictures
cheers

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from iDD:

great interview sparky - looking forward to getting the xmen mdm down here in oz - will certainly send some pictures
cheers

Thanks! I've been surprised by the number of Australian customers! Good on ya, mates! (ok that was bad)

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Thanks! I've been surprised by the number of Australian customers! Good on ya, mates! (ok that was bad)

Must feel good to be an International seller.

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I have the power splitters at http://www.SpeakerLightKits.com in the accessories section for $6 and $5.70 - $6.95 for priority shipping (depending on your location). You will be hard press to find a cheaper price or cheaper or faster shipping on them.

Retracted.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I'm out. Sorry.

It wasn't a problem, Doug. No worries.

#132 9 years ago

This really is an awesome mod (and it really is a bear to photograph well). Here's mine on Tron Pro. I put mine on the left side about halfway up the ramp return. The right side in my game is already overcrowded with things going on and this micro-display does a good job of balancing things out.

410A2134.JPG410A2134.JPG 410A2135.JPG410A2135.JPG 410A2136.JPG410A2136.JPG
#133 9 years ago
Quoted from packetpusher:

This really is an awesome mod (and it really is a bear to photograph well). Here's mine on Tron Pro. I put mine on the left side about halfway up the ramp return. The right side in my game is already overcrowded with things going on and this micro-display does a good job of balancing things out.

Thanks for posting pics! It's good to see that these will work in so many different areas!

BTW, your game looks great! I'm wishing I had a Tron

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Thanks for posting pics! It's good to see that these will work in so many different areas!
BTW, your game looks great! I'm wishing I had a Tron

Thanks! Tron was my first NIB and still my favorite all around game of anything I've played (for me). It doesn't hurt that I love the theme and the music is awesome. It's also one of those games that you can have way more fun personalizing a less expensive Pro than an overpriced LE. There's always something else to do to that game. That's a really good thing since my wife somehow manages to randomly slap at the ball and beat my carefully strategized score every time.

Now I'm off to buy a screen for Avatar.

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I've been surprised by the number of Australian customers!

In my experience Australians love pinball mods.

They're my favorite overseas country to ship to, fast and easy compared to everywhere else.

#136 9 years ago

The right side in my game is already overcrowded with things going on and this micro-display does a good job of balancing things out.

Same with Mustang, put it on the left ramp cuz the tach mod is on the right ramp.

#137 9 years ago

Just installed mine on MetPro and it's awesome. I installed just above mystery scoop. Prolly the best mod/upgrade next to the PDI glass! Well done Sparky Pinball!

#138 9 years ago

Now I'm off to buy a screen for Avatar.

Glad to hear it! I'm shooting to have Avatar ready within a few weeks (maybe sooner).

Quoted from tadowhere:

Just installed mine on MetPro and it's awesome. I installed just above mystery scoop. Prolly the best mod/upgrade next to the PDI glass! Well done Sparky Pinball!

Thanks for the kind words! If you guys are happy, posting in the owner's threads for those titles goes a long way

#140 9 years ago

Mustang being ordered as we speak... I will need a splitter have you decided to offer them

#141 9 years ago
Quoted from PunishersLEMC:

Mustang being ordered as we speak... I will need a splitter have you decided to offer them

Yeah Jim he will have them but not sure when.

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from PunishersLEMC:

Yes, they're available as of this morning. There is a separate category on the home page for splitters, or it comes up as a suggested product when you add a Stern title to your cart.

#143 9 years ago

Way to go Sparky, one stop shopping.

#144 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Sys 11 should be easy because Mike at DK Pinball has power taps available (he lists a few as coming soon).

I've got power taps for all of the Sys11 games and Data East also. I've got to get the web site updated today so the "Early System 11A/B" power tap shows as available.

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

I've got power taps for all of the Sys11 games and Data East also. I've got to get the web site updated today so the "Early System 11A/B" power tap shows as available.

Good to know!

Mike, do you know if Sega games have the same 5v/12v unused plug as modern Stern? Any plans for a Sega power tap? It would be good to know if I need to make a decision about doing a Sega title in the future.

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Good to know!
Mike, do you know if Sega games have the same 5v/12v unused plug as modern Stern? Any plans for a Sega power tap? It would be good to know if I need to make a decision about doing a Sega title in the future.

Twister was the first game to have the modern 5v / 12v power hookup like Stern uses.

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

That's a qualified "yes". Sega games with the Whitestar board set will use the Stern power tap -

(From PinWiki)
Apollo 13
Goldeneye
Twister
Independence Day
Space Jam
Star Wars Trilogy
The Lost World Jurassic Park
The X Files
Starship Troopers
Viper Night Driving
Lost in Space
Godzilla
Harley-Davidson
South Park

#148 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Way to go Sparky, one stop shopping.

+1 , going to get MET & IM & 2 splitters ...

#149 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Twister was the first game to have the modern 5v / 12v power hookup like Stern uses.

Quoted from dkpinball:

That's a qualified "yes". Sega games with the Whitestar board set will use the Stern power tap

Ok, now I see that you have the games listed on your website under the appropriate power tap. I was looking for a separate one named "Sega Power Tap."

Thanks guys!

#150 9 years ago

These mods are outstanding! I originally purchased these for CFTBL and TSSP. Very easy to install. Really the toughest part is choosing the location as the size of the screen makes it easy to place it almost anywhere. Total installation time was less than 15 minutes. They looked so good that I also ordered and installed into tron, STTNG, and LOTR. Amazingly quick shipment and outstanding customer support.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z
Interactive
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball
Decals
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 37.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 437 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mod-micro-display-mods-and-tspp-video-tv/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.