(Topic ID: 138080)

New mod, maybe something a little different?

By blownfuse

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Here's a vid of a mod I put together over this last week for my Gottlieb Punk, I have been thinking about it for a couple of years now and finally acted on it. Hopefully it'll be received well at PAGG next year when I take it there. The nice part is that I can easily convert the game back if I tire of the mod.

Sorry for the lousy phone video and lack of commentary, the poor quality doesn't do this mod justice. In person, it looks real nice and I feel it fits well with the theme of the game. I might try slowing the strobe speed to see how it looks too. I have time to tinker and fine tune it before the show gets here.

If there are any questions, I'll try to answer them in this thread. Enjoy, and comments good or bad (I can take it) will be welcome too.

Steve

#2 6 years ago

Wow, want to see this in person but PaGG is so far away.

#3 6 years ago

Drop by sometime and check it out. Set something up by PM if you'd like.

Steve

#4 6 years ago

Looks cool - haven't played that game before so can't wait

#5 6 years ago

You cored a leg bolt!?!?! Nice!
faz

#6 6 years ago

LOL, yeah, I did it several times. It was a pain to center up, had to make a jig for the drill press to get it correct. Time will tell how well it holds up. That's why I started early on it, to find out if the bolt will hold up or not.

Steve

Quoted from pinball_faz:

You cored a leg bolt!?!?! Nice!
faz

#7 6 years ago

What does that do to the structural integrity of the leg? Looks like a 3/16" hole.

I figure the leg bolt is probably sized for operator ease with a coarse thread and the size held for tradition.... so, perhaps over-engineered from the get-go??
faz

#8 6 years ago

There is officially nothing that a pinhead won't try and light up with LEDs.

Waiting for LED pin footies next.

#9 6 years ago

The bolts are fairly hard and should more than handle the holes drilled, I'm putting them through tests now just to be safe (don't want them to sheer or fracture). The hole that both wires go through is 1/8", the hole that accepts and shoulders the LED is 7/32". If I go with uncontrolled LED's, I can drop the centerline drill bit size to 5/64" since you can use the bolt as a ground for the LED and then use a single wire to drive the LED.

Steve

Quoted from pinball_faz:

What does that do to the structural integrity of the leg? Looks like a 3/16" hole.
I figure the leg bolt is probably sized for operator ease with a coarse thread and the size held for tradition.... so, perhaps over-engineered from the get-go??
faz

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Here's a vid of a mod I put together

Yet another cool invention from blownfuse...
-mof

#11 6 years ago

They might have to be battery operated.

Steve

Quoted from Aurich:

#12 6 years ago

Nice work and creative idea!

#13 6 years ago

You sure you didn't make this for Burning Man, Steve, cuz it would fit right in there! Very creative and well done!

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You may laugh but I saw a Tron pro with those at TPF 2013. They went up the leg about 3/4ths of the way.

#15 6 years ago

Thanks mof, it was a fun project to work on. I don't think I'd do it again though, too labor intense.

Steve

Quoted from mof:

Yet another cool invention from blownfuse...
-mof

#16 6 years ago

Should Punk have a strobe light too!

#17 6 years ago

nice work, cool idea

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside