Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by whitey
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-263.jpg
    image-695.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago

The tops of these flipper bats should be a solid color and the sides trans. The glow should just show out the sides and bottom and not through the top and into your face.

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from BillE:

So far I have 2 designs for these, the 1st design which are being used on several machines right now uses wire that is fed to the nearest GI light into a small hole in the back of the flipper bat. The wire being used is some pretty expensive wire designed for repeated flex applications. The primary flex point in this application is right where the wire exits the hole. The key to minimizing the flex at this point is I reenforced the wire at this point and make it rigid to allow the bending motion to be applied to a nearby loop in the wire. The loop squeezes as the flipper flips so that there isn't an acute flex at the main flex point. I have had wires break and kept redesigning it and changing materials to get to where it's at now.
    The wiring is definitely more the concern than the LEDs I think, the LEDs are very small and seem pretty sturdy. Have had 0 issues so far as far as they go but only time will tell.
    My second design is more costly so I will wait to see how the first design pans out in the long run to go through with it, but it involves a slip ring design so that wiring becomes no issue since the wire never moves at all. These are designed to run at hundreds of rpm and reliably transfer power. Slip rings require maintenance or replacement by design but flipping a flipper I doubt any this would ever have to be done. Wiring wouldn't have to go through the shaft but rather a slot in the shaft instead then just sealed in place. There would be of course a mount needing to be made to hold the stationary half of the slip ring to the playfield underside , probably some simple kind of bracket. I have the parts here already to try and make one and maybe will mess with it more tomorrow, but so far I am very happy with the final design of the first style.
    Sorry for the crappy vid , it was mms'd then uploaded, will get the original up.

Wow - this is good stuff. You are a pioneer, congrats to your successes and good luck in your future endeavors.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

Actually, it won't be the LED's that will have issues Ken, it'll probably be the wires supplying current to them that will fail.
    Steve

I agree. From what I have come to understand the LED's don't suffer from heat or vibration.

2 weeks later
    #54 10 years ago

Why not skip the wires and go with induction to energize the LEDs? Put a tiny coil in the flipper and maybe the magnetic field from the flipper coil will be enough to light up the LEDs? Otherwise, just put some coils directly under the playfield to energize the coil in the flipper.

#55 10 years ago

Here is an idea that just came to mind. Why not replace the shaft with new shaft that had the center insulated from the outside clamping surface. (Kind of a coaxial shaft) The outside clamping surface of the shaft would be the ground, and the center would be the other conductor to the LED's. The power to the leds could be fed through the center shaft from under the playfield. This sort of thing would have to be custom made, but it seems like it would work nicely without wire breakage.

3 years later
    #56 6 years ago

Just got a set from pps,Im hoping someone post the install, I wanna try them out on my luci in red the blue on T3, the directions are ok but ?

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mod-illuminated-flipper-bats/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.