Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by whitey
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-263.jpg
    image-695.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Just wanted to show everyone what I've been playing with for a little while now. Had the idea a while back and wanted to see if this was even really possible. Went through a few different trial and errors, different parts and the current version is pretty awesome.

Each bat has 9 LEDs each and have a real nice glow and are not overly bright and not distracting at all. If I get enough time to do so I can post a tutorial on how you can make these yourself. It's a little bit of work but well worth it I think. So far I've made red ones, blue, purple, and several other different LED color / bat color combinations. I've made some for some buddies to play with and they like them a lot.

Some pics and vid:

image.jpgimage.jpg image-695.jpgimage-695.jpg image-263.jpgimage-263.jpg
    #2 10 years ago

Fantastic. Would love to do this on specific games.

#3 10 years ago

are these the same as what PP announced yesterday?

#4 10 years ago

Sweet! I just ordered clear flipper bats for my WH2O, and this would look awesome in them. Please post the DIY.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from djblouw:

Sweet! I just ordered clear flipper bats for my WH2O, and this would look awesome in them. Please post the DIY.

+1, i also want to know how, thanks.

#6 10 years ago

That looks awesome!!! Great job to say the least.

#7 10 years ago

That will look sweet with the urethane rubbers

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Zdoor:

That will look sweet with the urethane rubbers

definitely!

#9 10 years ago

Looks great ! I think mb in green would be sweet

#10 10 years ago

I've seen them in person, they look awesome.

#11 10 years ago

I can't see the LED's lasting very long. The flipper is the highest vibration item in the machine and it's the most used unit too. The vibration will get to the LED's and kill them.

#12 10 years ago

I can't tell much from the two pixel video, but those pictures look awesome. If these things are durable, then they will sell like crazy. I can't wait to try them out.

#13 10 years ago

Cool, I have actually been thinking about doing this since I first saw the transparent flipper bats.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from webdiddy:

Cool, I have actually been thinking about doing this since I first saw the transparent flipper bats.

same thing here but i'm not sure it's gonna last very long. definitely look great.

#15 10 years ago

My hammer drill has LEDs and they stand up (so far) to intense vibration.

Are these the same LED flippers that PPS was talking about on Friday?

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from BillE:

If I get enough time to do so I can post a tutorial on how you can make these yourself.

Please do!

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from BillE:

.... If I get enough time to do so I can post a tutorial on how you can make these yourself....

if you do that, someone will copy this and sell it, guarantee!

i think it's a great idea and should sell it yourself.

#18 10 years ago

how are these going to hold up in the long run? i see joints breaking from constant abuse. Nice to see zaccaria bats getting some love with LED's.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

if you do that, someone will copy this and sell it, guarantee!

Too late, PPS announced them at Expo on Friday.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Too late, PPS announced them at Expo on Friday.

damn, i completely forgot about that!

go ahead give us the infos! i'll do it myself!

#21 10 years ago

How are the wires run into the bat without affecting flipper movement or wire breakage?

#22 10 years ago

Yes please post a tutorial on how you did them. I have wanted lighted flipper bats for my Lost in Space and STNG for so long, but could not figure out how to run the wires/LEDs to the flipper bats.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I can't see the LED's lasting very long. The flipper is the highest vibration item in the machine and it's the most used unit too. The vibration will get to the LED's and kill them.

Hey Ken isn't the whole idea of the LEDs lasting in high stress/vibration areas, due to the fact that they have no moving parts (filaments etc.) To break like normal bulbs? I can see failure at solider joints if used in a standard incandescent bulb package, but if they use the small T1 style LEDs (like the ones used on circuit boards), those are encapsulated/sealed in plastic, which Should take the vibration issue out of the equation.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Hammerhead1550 hit the nail on the head - LEDs don't have a filament...hence vibration resistant, and they won't get "killed" - it's exactly what you would want to use in this application.

#25 10 years ago

They look great! I cant wait to see your tutorial!

#26 10 years ago

Get some of the new clear Superbands on those and they'll look even better!

#27 10 years ago

Cool mod, terrible video

#28 10 years ago

Nothing new about it, been doing that LED mod for years and taking it to the PAGG show for 3 years. I'm surprised it took PPS so long to copy the idea. Mine have been tied in to the Mind Orbit plunger boards so they strobe with them, matching colors of course. It's a mod that's easy to do.

Steve

#29 10 years ago

Actually, it won't be the LED's that will have issues Ken, it'll probably be the wires supplying current to them that will fail.

Steve

Quoted from KenLayton:

#30 10 years ago

I've seen plenty of the Williams opto transmitter and receiver boards fail with broken LED's and broken phototransistors. The vibration breaks the LED or phototransistor leads right where they enter the component (they lose connection with the circuit board foil). Even ones with a dob of silicone glue have had the leads break off. Most of the time this problem manifests itself with intermittent operation of the opto board (sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't). Sometimes the LED or phototransistor completely breaks off and you find it jamming the ball trough or laying in the bottom of the machine.

I could see the same thing happening in this application of LED's inside the flipper bats. Where would you get the super flexible wire you'd need to have because of all the flexing/twisting going on with the flippers?

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I've seen plenty of the Williams opto transmitter and receiver boards fail with broken LED's and broken phototransistors. The vibration breaks the LED or phototransistor leads right where they enter the component (they lose connection with the circuit board foil). Even ones with a dob of silicone glue have had the leads break off. Most of the time this problem manifests itself with intermittent operation of the opto board (sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't). Sometimes the LED or phototransistor completely breaks off and you find it jamming the ball trough or laying in the bottom of the machine.
    I could see the same thing happening in this application of LED's inside the flipper bats. Where would you get the super flexible wire you'd need to have because of all the flexing/twisting going on with the flippers?

Do your homework...the LEDs themselves are indeed vibration and shock resistant. Uses in transportation and industrial environments where this is of concern is soaring. Google vibration & LED for keywords.

The fault that you are suggesting - super flexible wire? You say this like it is a new thing, like we've not had super flexible wire in industry ever? A moving pinball bat is nothing compared to what applications "super flexible" wire is being used in: aerospace, industrial robots, your ride in an airplane, earbud headphones, and more.

#32 10 years ago

So, is the shaft of the flipper bat hollowed out to run wires up into the bat?

#33 10 years ago

Anyone figure out how to LED a pinball yet? I believe that's the last untapped goldmine.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Do your homework...the LEDs themselves are indeed vibration and shock resistant. Uses in transportation and industrial environments where this is of concern is soaring. Google vibration & LED for keywords.
    The fault that you are suggesting - super flexible wire? You say this like it is a new thing, like we've not had super flexible wire in industry ever? A moving pinball bat is nothing compared to what applications "super flexible" wire is being used in: aerospace, industrial robots, your ride in an airplane, earbud headphones, and more.

I'm saying this from real life experience on pinball machines. I have seen many times LED's and phototransistors break off the circuit boards on the playfield. The leads break right where they enter the component body. They break from vibration/flexing.

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I'm saying this from real life experience on pinball machines. I have seen many times LED's and phototransistors break off the circuit boards on the playfield. The leads break right where they enter the component body. They break from vibration/flexing.

When manufacturing anything requires durability and expecting quality, the manufacturer uses a good quality LED and uses good quality assembly methods and other supporting parts. (example, an LED indicator panel that is expected to perform critical functions on a highspeed train or an industrial LED lightbar that might be used on an ambulance or police car, for example) The same requirements are not true of the pinball machine, an amusement device. They were assembled as quickly and cheaply as possible to make a profit. Replace those phototransistors with good quality ones and mount them as should be in a high vibration environment and they would last the life of the game.

If modding flipper bats with an LED, a good quality LED mounted with supporting parts correctly *should* last whatever the life of the LED is, in thousands of hours.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Hammerhead1550 hit the nail on the head - LEDs don't have a filament...hence vibration resistant, and they won't get "killed" - it's exactly what you would want to use in this application.

They don't have filaments but they do use tiny connectors on a strip like this (tiny solder points on some versions) so these connections would be what get flaky after the hammering of the flipper action... I'd be doubtful of a long life on these and it wouldn't be because of the LED itself.

#37 10 years ago

I still don't understand where the wire goes. Do you drill a hole through the bushing?

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I still don't understand where the wire goes. Do you drill a hole through the bushing?

The way Steve "blownfuse" did it was to drill the center of the flipper shaft. But the Gottlieb flipper shafts of that era are much larger in diameter than others. I don't know how else you'd do it.

Steve is an innovator.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#39 10 years ago

I have seen Steve's in person and they are very innovative and look amazing. He said he did drill the shaft for running power.

I hope not to offend anyone here on what maybe a touchy subject.

I just had a thought about the wire though. Couldn't there be a small pcb board manufactured that has the LEDs along with a motion sensor & very small battery? That way the flippers bats light up when you flip, then there would be a timer that goes off when motion is detected. Then they just light up for say, 30 seconds after the last movement detected. When the battery dies, just replace them completely.

#40 10 years ago

You could use a small battery and a mercury switch.

It would only flash when flipped.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You could use a small battery and a mercury switch.
    It would only flash when flipped.

Neat idea but no RoHS-compliance so limited to where you could ship the stuff.

#42 10 years ago

I didn't read through this thread but are you selling these?? If so I will buy a bunch!

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

You could probably do that or more likely drill a hole through the center of the flipper bat shaft or even just mill out a slot in the shaft.

#44 10 years ago

They look great! Please post a tutorial or at least some photos of what you have done.

Thanks!

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Neat idea but no RoHS-compliance so limited to where you could ship the stuff.

I got the idea from a stripper I know shoes - she ain't getting shipped out nowhere.

#46 10 years ago

I like the stripper shoes idea vid.

But in seriousness: We cannot possibly make LED for flippers that is reliable? I find that very hard to believe.

We should have LED lights on automobiles failing all over the place because they simply can't take the vibration. Do you all really believe this? We are close to getting commercially available flexible LCD screens on the market, but we can't get a simple two wire connection to last on a pinball game? We've had printer heads whipping back and forth for years with a ribbon cable flexing THOUSANDS of times, and robotic arms that are still running today....but we can't get a wire that will last to supply an LED on a pinball bat?

Even if wire can't accomplish the job and you want to get creative, look into the other ways power can get conducted to moving devices without the use of wires, they've been out there in our industries for a long time.

Here is one possible suggestion. Mount LEDs in the bat and then fill the bat with clear epoxy. Nothing shakes, nothing moves, resistant to vibration and impact. You figure the rest.

#47 10 years ago

Because I like to make sure that proper credit is given:

Max Wiczer is the person who invented this...in 1981!

http://www.google.com/patents/US4398718

Tony

#48 10 years ago

I tried to make LED flippers work in B/W games years ago and I haven't seen the LED B/W flippers yet that PPS sells but the wires are probably outside of the shaft. Hopefully, the wires come out the back of the flipper so the wires can be routed through the playfield under a kicker or other object (the cheapest solution since it makes less stress on the LED wires and with minimal chaffing to the insulation though these issues can be fixed by protecting the wires with different colors of shrink wrap). If not and you're drilling through the nylon bushings, there's moving flipper parts that need to be routed around that the wires can hang up on.

Since I like mods that can be converted back easily to factory (with the exception of my 6 to 7 digit Gottlieb conversion), I'll try to explain the issues I ran up against as I found them, maybe there's a solution out there that I didn't see. The problem is in the design of the B/W flipper assemblies, they weren't designed with the idea of running wires through the flipper shaft and running a wire down the center is ideal for less travel damage to the wires. They use such a small shaft, when doing the things suggested (drilling or milling), the pawl will crush the shaft when it's tightened down to prevent movement. Then, you can't remove the flipper once any damage is done without cutting the shaft off. Milling worked the best for the wires but the shaft became weak and would twist at the milled area when the bat was being hit by balls.

Also, the milled area made it real difficult to hold the bat firmly to the shaft even though the shaft was filled with a good epoxy to hold the wires in place. So, the only way I could LED a B/W flipper is to leave the shaft alone and have the wires hanging loose, then you drill through the nylon bushing and fish the wires through (other than routing/drilling through a kicker area). The problem this creates is that there isn't enough travel room inside that little space between the flipper and bushing, so the movement of the wires will cause them to fatigue and break or the playfield will eventually saw through them as the flippers move back and forth. I've seen both happen in my testing so I abandoned that path.

A solution for this is to redesign a B/W LED flipper kit that has a larger shaft on the bat so the wires can slip down inside the shaft like I can do with the Gottliebs, a center rotation means less chance of wire damage. Also, 2 new larger inside diameter shaft bushings and a larger inside diameter pawl would need to be made. I was working on designing/making a B/W LED flipper kit but had to shelve it for other projects I was more interested in.

Steve

#49 10 years ago

So far I have 2 designs for these, the 1st design which are being used on several machines right now uses wire that is fed to the nearest GI light into a small hole in the back of the flipper bat. The wire being used is some pretty expensive wire designed for repeated flex applications. The primary flex point in this application is right where the wire exits the hole. The key to minimizing the flex at this point is I reenforced the wire at this point and make it rigid to allow the bending motion to be applied to a nearby loop in the wire. The loop squeezes as the flipper flips so that there isn't an acute flex at the main flex point. I have had wires break and kept redesigning it and changing materials to get to where it's at now.

The wiring is definitely more the concern than the LEDs I think, the LEDs are very small and seem pretty sturdy. Have had 0 issues so far as far as they go but only time will tell.

My second design is more costly so I will wait to see how the first design pans out in the long run to go through with it, but it involves a slip ring design so that wiring becomes no issue since the wire never moves at all. These are designed to run at hundreds of rpm and reliably transfer power. Slip rings require maintenance or replacement by design but flipping a flipper I doubt any this would ever have to be done. Wiring wouldn't have to go through the shaft but rather a slot in the shaft instead then just sealed in place. There would be of course a mount needing to be made to hold the stationary half of the slip ring to the playfield underside , probably some simple kind of bracket. I have the parts here already to try and make one and maybe will mess with it more tomorrow, but so far I am very happy with the final design of the first style.

Sorry for the crappy vid , it was mms'd then uploaded, will get the original up.

#50 10 years ago

Ghastly looking, but opinions are like mods, not for everyone. As long as it brings people happiness in the hobby, great job and Grand Lizard!

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mod-illuminated-flipper-bats and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.