(Topic ID: 15945)

RELEASED: Data East STAR WARS with added Ball Save, Balanced Rules & more!

By ChadH

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 540 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Zottig
  • Topic is favorited by 53 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Page_Not_Found_Error.PNG
sw-flyer-fixed.png
sw-flyer.jpg
20130315_190317.jpg
20130315_190227.jpg
20130311_001151.jpg
sock-garters.jpg
Data_East_Star_Wars_invoice.pdf (PDF preview)
veruca_chocolate_factory.jpg
There are 540 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 11.
#301 11 years ago

I too want to thank you for all your hard work. I no longer own this game but now wish I did.

#302 11 years ago

Excellent job ChadH! A truely remarkable acomplishment!

#303 11 years ago

money well spent cant wait to get the new rom!! Thanks Yo

#304 11 years ago

Great Christmas present.

Cheers Chad and Team

Ian

#305 11 years ago

Thanks for the hard work Chad and team. Put my order in last night. Anyone else with this pin should do the same. Seems like one of the biggest concerns from people is incomplete code or rules - particularly on new Sterns. Chad doing this work can demonstrate 2 things if we all fully support his efforts. 1 other users from the community will see Chad was rewarded in full for his efforts and will in turn take on their own code completing projects and we'll see additional new code released for games. 2 Stern may realize there is a business side to completing code. Stern if nothing else gets the business/profit side of this hobby. Not slamming Stern there - although on new games I believe anyone purchasing a pin is rightfully expecting completed game code.....In a timely manner.

I like scenario 1 better than scenario 2. Think you'd see some pretty creative results.

#306 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

The post I've been wanting to make for a long time now...

Data East Star Wars code update is OFFICIALLY RELEASED by Stern!!!

All details can be found here:
http://www.pinballcode.com

Thanks for taking the time to do this, man. Your timing with the release couldn't be more perfect (Christmas). I can't wait to play it!

#308 11 years ago

Great work Chad. I think I'm going to look for one of these games now!

#310 11 years ago

I need to find a rom burner.

#311 11 years ago

I LOVE that Stern endorsed this kinda thing!!!!

I think we could see the door opening up for the future to start polishing up left behind games a bit.

Very cool!

Merry Christmas!!!

#312 11 years ago

Awesome update! I loved the machine as it was, and this really does make things better, especially for ramp scoring. Much love to Chad and to all who made this possible!

#313 11 years ago

I really hope you guys enjoy the new rule-set, I personally think Chad did an amazing job and the game is much more balanced now. I was ready to sell my Star Wars I was so annoyed with the overpowered ramp, but with Chad's changes it is now a machine I will keep in my collection forever (even had it clearcoated).

A brief description on how it plays now:

There are two main strategies I find, either get to the super Force Award or go straight for multiball. The jackpots are bigger than the super force award but you get more points along the way by starting the normal force awards... so they end up being even. What I usually do is go for the first force award to uncover what the super force award is, and then I decide whether to go straight for multiball or not. In the process of doing this, anything extra I light like R2-D2 runaway is now actually worth going for, because there are no more 30 million point ramp cycling shots, opens the game up a ton and really solidifies all the nice bonus awards/animations/sounds.

The force scoop is a DANGEROUS shot, but it is not difficult to keep the kickback lit (it usually just takes a left orbit shot or you might even get a super laser kick force award early).

On default settings, early opening of the death star (by pressing down on lever and pressing button when it says death star approaching) is a risk that I find worth going for. Default settings now spot no moons between balls (so no automatic third ball triball), but you can change it back to the old default setting in the game options if you prefer that or want to cater to more casual players.

-ben

#314 11 years ago

Remarkable. Absolutely remarkable. Thanks Chad!!!

#315 11 years ago
Quoted from trihedron:

I need to find a rom burner.

go to the link and just buy it--- support the programmer-- I did !)

#316 11 years ago

Wow I'm glad I checkd in just now, Chad thank you SO much for all this, I'm buying it soon! Merry christmas, and again: THANKS!!!!!!

#317 11 years ago

Sorry for soapbox...Even if you have a ROM burner I really suggest at least a donation to Chad. Let's show support to the guys who do this type of thing. Chad had to spend a HUGE amount of time doing this, so let's at least make it worth his while for the hundreds of hours spent.

If you fund it, they will come...

Post edited by Curbfeeler : removed quote. I quoted wrong post before. Sorry.

#318 11 years ago
Quoted from Curbfeeler:

Sorry for soapbox...Even if you have a ROM burner I really suggest at least a donation to Chad. Let's show support to the guys who do this type of thing. Chad had to spend a HUGE amount of time doing this, so let's at least make it worth his while for the hundreds of hours spent.
If you fund it, they will come...

I guess i was not clear with my post. I meant go to the link that chad supplied and buy the rom there. It twas what I did. Best 50 bones spent yet !!!!! SUPORT THE CHAD !!!! WHOOP WHOOP

#319 11 years ago

Wow thanks Chad! I am speechless! I never thought I'd get to play this version since I had to sell my Star Wars. Perhaps I can rename these roms and run it on my vpin cabinet. This is quite a generous present to all the SW owners!

#320 11 years ago
Quoted from Iamdarras:

I guess i was not clear with my post. I meant go to the link that chad supplied and buy the rom there. It twas what I did. Best 50 bones spent yet !!!!! SUPORT THE CHAD !!!! WHOOP WHOOP

No, sorry I quoted wrong the post. I meant to comment on the post where the guy wanted to buy a rom burner. I have a burner and in fact was one of Chad's beta testers these past months. I still made a donation to Chad and would encourage others with burners to do the same. What he's doing for pinball is priceless IMO.

Dan

#321 11 years ago

All orders placed before 1pm central US today have just shipped.

Thanks.

#322 11 years ago

Chad, you are the MAN! I was driving from Houston to Austin yesterday when I heard the news via a text from my buddy. I literally had to pull over to the side of the road so I could buy my ROM right away. Very fair price too. I seriously cannot wait to get it in. I hope you sell a thousand of them!

#323 11 years ago
Quoted from Iamdarras:

go to the link and just buy it--- support the programmer -- I did !)

I didnt see the Buy link on there, but I ended up finding it late yesterday. New rom on the way!

#324 11 years ago

Just ordered mine! Thanks Chad and the complete support / testing team!!

#325 11 years ago
Quoted from trihedron:

I didnt see the Buy link on there, but I ended up finding it late yesterday. New rom on the way!

HELLS YEA !!!

#326 11 years ago

Anyone tried out the new ROM yet? I'd love to hear your feedback.

#327 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Anyone tried out the new ROM yet? I'd love to hear your feedback.

I will post feedback as soon as I get the chance to try it out! I'm so excited, I saw you shipped the rom, thanks for the quick shipment!

#328 11 years ago

I've been a long time SW:DE pinball lover. I love Star Wars and I've loved pinball since I was a little kid. SW:DE was my first machine ( the one I always wanted before getting into the hobby), and this ROM update make the game EXTREMELY fun again.

I just played about 10 games on my new ROM that I received today from Chad and I'm extremely happy with it.

At first with all the point changes I was expecting the game to be EXTREMELY difficult without the ramp scoring, I mean, for over 20 years, its been: "shoot the ramp". I was actually having fun trying different shots out to try and learn new ways to return the ball for a Force Award, or see how many times I could bring the Death Star down. The ramp is worth almost nothing now, its awesome. But it does give you a few seconds to shoot storm troopers, or advanced the force award.

I found that the Jabba scoop now seems completed worth while, as you get a ton of points from Scarlet Pit bonus. Also now the bonus is very nicely balanced, on my first ball I ended up getting the X6 bonus and ended up earning almost 18 Million in bonuses. It was nice to see that the drop targets actually help your score progress.

I did notice a small bug in the software still, and I'm honestly not sure if this existed pre-ball save fix or not. But R2D2 and the Death Star no longer spin after a ball save ( for that ball ). It's not a big deal, but I did notice it right away. They both resumed their rotation and back-and-forth movements during ball 2.

I haven't gotten to play all the new little fixes such as the improved combos, and AT-ATs, but I'm looking forward to checking them out eventually.

Thanks again Chad and everyone involved in making this happen, Star Wars DE is now an even better game!

#329 11 years ago

This makes me sad I sold mine, regardless great job Chad.

#330 11 years ago

My chip arrived this afternoon, and I have been playing all day. Great work Chad, it is like having a brand new pin in the house! Money well spent.

I didn't like it at first, because I didnt know what to do besides shooting the ramp, but it has really grown on me. It is so well balanced. I love having options, different things to try for. Fricking love the ball saver!!! It is enjoyable relighting the force, and having to earn the awards! Good mix of awards, too. My ramp loves you, Chad, but my pop bumpers are really getting a workout.

First rate work. I am loving my pin more than ever, using the entire playfield where I never did before.

#331 11 years ago

The bug Trihedron is talking about is in the original software! Just tried it out, and the spinning stops when the ball saver is activated!

Chad: just in case you bring out revisions, what Would the costs be for people who already bought it from you?

#332 11 years ago
Quoted from knapejor:

The bug Trihedron is talking about is in the original software! Just tried it out, and the spinning stops when the ball saver is activated!
Chad: just in case you bring out revisions, what Would the costs be for people who already bought it from you?

I'd send updated ROM at no charge if there were ever to be a newer revision.

#333 11 years ago

it figures as i just sold mine in November !

#334 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I'd send updated ROM at no charge if there were ever to be a newer revision.

Just brilliant!

#335 11 years ago

Just awesome Chad!

I have a few questions:

1. Did you approach Stern or did they approach you to make it an official release?
2. Did Stern give you the source code so you could tweak it more efficiently?
3. What's next?

#336 11 years ago

Chad,

Did you give Yoda the ability to give "Tri-Ball" as an award? That was completely unexpected and so much fun. I've never seen that before.

Also I finally beat AT-AT's for the first time thanks to the less hits needed.

You are awesome.

#337 11 years ago
Quoted from Napabar:

1. Did you approach Stern or did they approach you to make it an official release?

I'll save the full story for another day... but Stern contacted me. The whole time they were very, very cool about it all.

Quoted from Napabar:

2. Did Stern give you the source code so you could tweak it more efficiently?

Nope. All my own detective work.

Quoted from Napabar:

3. What's next?

We shall see. Waiting to see how response to this one turns out.

Quoted from trihedron:

Did you give Yoda the ability to give "Tri-Ball" as an award? That was completely unexpected and so much fun. I've never seen that before.

I can't take credit for that one, that was always there. But it is one of the rarer Yoda choices.

Quoted from trihedron:

Also I finally beat AT-AT's for the first time thanks to the less hits needed.

Very cool. 15 hits I think is perfect for AT-ATs. Still not easy... but not crazy either. Now, have you seen Lite Extra Ball as a Force Award yet? Or Collect Extra Ball as a Hidden Force Award? Those ones were crazy hard to come by before but now you have a chance.

#338 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I'll save the full story for another day... but Stern contacted me. The whole time they were very, very cool about it all.

Nope. All my own detective work.

We shall see. Waiting to see how response to this one turns out.

I can't take credit for that one, that was always there. But it is one of the rarer Yoda choices.

Very cool. 15 hits I think is perfect for AT-ATs. Still not easy... but not crazy either. Now, have you seen Lite Extra Ball as a Force Award yet? Or Collect Extra Ball as a Hidden Force Award? Those ones were crazy hard to come by before but now you have a chance.

Interesting.....I wonder if they lost the source code!

#339 11 years ago
Quoted from trihedron:

I found that the Jabba scoop now seems completed worth while, as you get a ton of points from Scarlet Pit bonus.

Has anyone figured out the value that a single pop bumper hit now adds to the Sarlaac Pit bonus? And the significance of that number?

#340 11 years ago

Thanks for the chip, which I received a couple of days ago directly from Chad. I haven't yet had any time to work on the pin, much less to play it, but I am eager to do so. By the way, I'd love it if someone would put together a short video showing the various changes. Like a lot of people, I am a visual learner. Something I see sticks with me far more than something I read. Of course, I can do here what I have done elsewhere: run through the rules with the glass off and my fingers "adjusting" the ball's movement. Even so, it's better to have a video, so if someone would like to show off their skills...

All that aside, thanks very much for putting in the hard labor to make this happen, Chad. I hope it's a sign of good things yet to come.

#341 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Has anyone figured out the value that a single pop bumper hit now adds to the Sarlaac Pit bonus? And the significance of that number?

Haven't yet, but now I can't wait to look. I'll try it out when I get back to the office on Wednesday, but so far I am totally loving the new rules.

BTW, has anyone talked to Robin about adding a separate DESW 20th Anniversary Edition to the pin side rankings? I'd love to rate it separately rom the old software, as I really don't think you can compare the 2 on equal ground. Right now it's one of my favorite games, where as I had grown tired of the old ruleset on the original.

#342 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I tried to do the math, but it happens too quickly to notice. The numbers always seem very "rounded off" coming out of the pit, somewhere between 50k and 60k per hit.

Interesting that you threw some sort of "Easter Egg" in there.

#343 11 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

Haven't yet, but now I can't wait to look. I'll try it out when I get back to the office on Wednesday, but so far I am totally loving the new rules.
BTW, has anyone talked to Robin about adding a separate DESW 20th Anniversary Edition to the pin side rankings? I'd love to rate it separately rom the old software, as I really don't think you can compare the 2 on equal ground. Right now it's one of my favorite games, where as I had grown tired of the old ruleset on the original.

This is something I was thinking about as well..

#344 11 years ago
Quoted from trihedron:

I tried to do the math, but it happens too quickly to notice. The numbers always seem very "rounded off" coming out of the pit, somewhere between 50k and 60k per hit.
Interesting that you threw some sort of "Easter Egg" in there.

You are getting warm, it is somewhere between 50K and 60K.

#345 11 years ago

SPOILER ALERT

52180, an allusion to 5/21/80, the date Empire Strikes Back was released. Cool!

Love the new ROM, it is really like having a whole new game, one with balanced scoring even!

You know you're in for a treat starting with the power on, with Obi-Wan now being allowed to spit out the entire phrase, "May the Force be with you."

And being able to shortcut past the skill shot directions! Just that and the Ball Save is worth the upgrade!

#346 11 years ago

Chad - thank you so much for your hard work on this great update! We have a DE SW on location at one of the bars that I do work for. This machine is owned by a local operator that puts a couple machines in our location (we have 21 pins total). I talked with him about the update and offered to purchase a blank rom, burn it and install it (I told them to consider it a Christmas present, heh) and they were all about it. I got it installed this weekend and wow - what a difference!

I run a pinball league here in Grand Rapids, Michigan and this machine is on the list of games to play during league night this week. The timing could not have been better! Will be interesting to see the league players strategies with the new software.

#347 11 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

52180, an allusion to 5/21/80, the date Empire Strikes Back was released. Cool!

Yep! When I was first changing the scoring for the Pop Bumpers, I knew I wanted to be about double the original points. I started by changing it to 52,577 which is a reference to the release date of the original Star Wars (5/25/77). One major problem with this though... it broke the match sequence. All points in the game need to be evenly divisible by 10 for the match to work. I was bummed that I wouldn't be able to use that. But then I realized that Empire Strikes Back's release date would work perfect! Besides, it is the best of all the Star Wars movies, right? So that's how it came to be 52,180.

#348 11 years ago
Quoted from debaser:

I run a pinball league here in Grand Rapids, Michigan and this machine is on the list of games to play during league night this week. The timing could not have been better! Will be interesting to see the league players strategies with the new software.

This is very cool! I'd love to hear how the tournament turns out. Please let us know.

Also, send them to my website www.pinballcode.com so they can read up on the new rules beforehand.

#349 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

This is very cool! I'd love to hear how the tournament turns out. Please let us know.
Also, send them to my website http://www.pinballcode.com so they can read up on the new rules beforehand.

Thanks! Each season has a total of 8 league nights. After the last league night we will have A & B division double elimination play-offs. This Wednesday will be our 5th league night of the season.

I gave the league players the link to your website with the changes so they know what to expect. I announce the list of games that we will be playing 1 week in advance of league night to give players a chance to practice.

Again - thank you so much for putting this together!

#350 11 years ago

Just had to register to say thank you! I have been a long time lurker and have especially been watching this topic, I have just gotten my first pin - and a Star Wars non the less. And this will definetelty come in handy. Have also told everybody I know about your site, so that they too can see the cool stuff you have done.

Now we just need some new instruction cards with the updated rules for the game.

Once again thank you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 540 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mod-data-east-star-wars-pinball-with-added-timed-ball-save-feature/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.