(Topic ID: 15945)

RELEASED: Data East STAR WARS with added Ball Save, Balanced Rules & more!

By ChadH

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 540 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by Zottig
  • Topic is favorited by 53 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Page_Not_Found_Error.PNG
sw-flyer-fixed.png
sw-flyer.jpg
20130315_190317.jpg
20130315_190227.jpg
20130311_001151.jpg
sock-garters.jpg
Data_East_Star_Wars_invoice.pdf (PDF preview)
veruca_chocolate_factory.jpg
There are 540 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 11.
#451 10 years ago

I just uploaded 17 pictures of a PROTOTYPE Data East STAR WARS machine that a customer contacted me about. Check out the differences!

You can find them (and other interesting rarity pictures) on my web page in the Gallery section.

www.pinballcode.com

Let me know if you spot any differences that I did not note in the descriptions.

As always, thanks for your continued support and kind words about the updated Star Wars ROM.

Thanks,
Chad

#452 10 years ago

Quick note for all my non-U.S. friends... I have recently changed the way I ship internationally and as a result, the cost to ship has been GREATLY reduced.

Chad

#453 10 years ago

Hi, Chad. Say, would you mind reformatting the guide as a printer friendly pdf and posting it on the site? Printing out the page as is results in a mess and a lot of wasted paper. Thanks!

#454 10 years ago

Maybe a downloadable PDF?

#455 10 years ago

Picked up a DE Star Wars 10 days ago or so...placed order for new code today. Need to get some cliffy protectors for those now more important scoop shots that have some wear.

#456 10 years ago

Anyone having luck getting a 2nd or 3rd super jackpot in a single multiball? I'm finding it incredibly hard to keep multiple balls active for very long.. more so than other machines I play regularly.

It kind of goes something like this..

Yay, TRI-BALL!!
Pew, pew, pew!
Clang! *double outlane drain*
Yay! Restarted TRI-BALL!!
Pew, pew, pew.
Slingshot ricochet! *outlane drain*
Nice.. caught a ball on the left flipper!
Oh no! Ball in Sarlacc Pit! *ejects and drains under the cradled flipper*
Sigh.. back to single ball with no lit moons.
(This is usually followed by a stream of profanity.)

A really great game with one super jackpot caps out for me around 150-245mil which means I've yet to break into the top 3 high scores on the new ROM. Still trying.. every day. =) Curious how everyone else is doing.

#457 10 years ago
Quoted from cheezywhiz:

Anyone having luck getting a 2nd or 3rd super jackpot in a single multiball? I'm finding it incredibly hard to keep multiple balls active for very long.. more so than other machines I play regularly.
It kind of goes something like this..
Yay, TRI-BALL!!
Pew, pew, pew!
Clang! *double outlane drain*
Yay! Restarted TRI-BALL!!
Pew, pew, pew.
Slingshot ricochet! *outlane drain*
Nice.. caught a ball on the left flipper!
Oh no! Ball in Sarlacc Pit! *ejects and drains under the cradled flipper*
Sigh.. back to single ball with no lit moons.
(This is usually followed by a stream of profanity.)
A really great game with one super jackpot caps out for me around 150-245mil which means I've yet to break into the top 3 high scores on the new ROM. Still trying.. every day. =) Curious how everyone else is doing.

It takes a minute to dial this game in, but when it's in it's a blast. I hit double most games I play, triple here ad there.

1 week later
#458 10 years ago

Is there a video out there of the new code?

#460 10 years ago

What is the safest way to hit the Death Star target? I haven't figure out a way yet that doesn't result in an SDTM on every other hit.

#461 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadTower:

What is the safest way to hit the Death Star target? I haven't figure out a way yet that doesn't result in an SDTM on every other hit.

From the left flipper, if you go from the right it is almost always SDTM.

#462 10 years ago
Quoted from cireone:

Hrm. The game I play on location does it from the left too. Maybe if I stop hitting it cleanly and let it knock around in there a bit.

#463 10 years ago
Quoted from cireone:

Hmmm... for me, the safest shot to the Death Star is with the right flipper. I guess it comes down to playfield angle.

#465 10 years ago

Hi Chad,

I was curious about the frequency of the stormtrooper shoot out with the new code as opposed to the old code, it seems to happen quite a bit. No complaints though, I still love your 20th anniversary rom.

Thanks again

#466 10 years ago

I don't know if the following is a bug, or if it is a carryover from the previous code that handed you Tri Ball on Ball 3.

Background: If you realize that Data East likes to set up Tri Ball on Ball 3, when draining on Ball 2 you can cash in the 5 million points for the Death Star Hurry Up that is available when you spot 5 moons. You get the 5 million, then on Ball 3 the Death Star is open and stays open.

The bug: If you spot 5 moons on Ball 1 or Ball 2, you can cash in the 5 million points when draining, just like before. On the next ball your moons won't reset to zero, you'll still have all 5 and can either cash in another 5 million on the next drain, or you can start the Death Star hurry up and go for Tri Ball.

On the original code I'm not sure if cashing in the 5 million when draining on Ball 1 resets the moons on Ball 2. I thought it did. Someone with an older version will have to check this as I have the new code installed on my game.

#467 10 years ago

Cashing in the 5Million without a reset has always been there, it doesn't have anything to do with what ball you're on. I remember having multiple balls in a row where the only points I got were from that 5 Million thing. (I curse the side drains!) What might have been happening is that you were at 5 moons on your first ball and when it gave you two more you still had one to go before it was open, but on a typical ball 2 you would have been at 6 bumping up to 8 and an open DS.

#468 10 years ago
Quoted from huzzahmatt:

Cashing in the 5Million without a reset has always been there, it doesn't have anything to do with what ball you're on.

Okay, I couldn't remember on the previous code if the moons reset if you cashed it in right before draining. Sounds like it is behaving the same as before?

#469 10 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Okay, I couldn't remember on the previous code if the moons reset if you cashed it in right before draining. Sounds like it is behaving the same as before?

Correct. Behaves the same as before. I ended up not touching that.

I thought about changing that, but when John Borg was play testing my game he did the 5 Million trick when he drained once. We talked about that and how it's kind of a cool "last word" shot as you die... plus it's only 5 Million so it's not too overpowering.

#470 10 years ago
Quoted from janus:

Hi Chad,
I was curious about the frequency of the stormtrooper shoot out with the new code as opposed to the old code, it seems to happen quite a bit. No complaints though, I still love your 20th anniversary rom.
Thanks again

I did not touch this either. So it should behave as it did before.

One thing I did notice when digging through the code is that Stormtrooper Shootout will never happen on Ball 1.

Glad you are enjoying it!

#471 10 years ago

In competition the knowledge of how to get a free 10mil can change everything. That's probably ~15-20% of the average score I see in our league.

#472 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Hmmm... for me, the safest shot to the Death Star is with the right flipper. I guess it comes down to playfield angle.

Same here. Right flipper backhand is more reliable on my machine. Super quick backhands to C3PO/Yoda lane are also possible.

#473 10 years ago

I'm curious if anyone has witnessed this Yoda bug.. I'll hit the lit Yoda shot and get a choice — say, AT-AT vs Death Star. I'll hit the right button to select Death Star.. nothing happens for a couple seconds.. then the machine selects AT-AT. Happens very rarely but I've seen it a few times.

Perhaps that the button press isn't registered and it's defaulting to the left side option? I don't usually button mash when selecting Yoda.. I just hit the flipper button one time. The flipper is activated, so not sure why the system wouldn't register the Yoda selection. I'll try button mashing next time I see this happen.

#474 10 years ago

Is that flipper button a dual switch stack? If it is then you're probably not getting the second switch closed on the right flipper.

#475 10 years ago
Quoted from cheezywhiz:

I'm curious if anyone has witnessed this Yoda bug.. I'll hit the lit Yoda shot and get a choice — say, AT-AT vs Death Star. I'll hit the right button to select Death Star.. nothing happens for a couple seconds.. then the machine selects AT-AT. Happens very rarely but I've seen it a few times.
Perhaps that the button press isn't registered and it's defaulting to the left side option? I don't usually button mash when selecting Yoda.. I just hit the flipper button one time. The flipper is activated, so not sure why the system wouldn't register the Yoda selection. I'll try button mashing next time I see this happen.

Make sure your flipper buttons are registering correctly. I had someone email me with a similar complaint and it turned out his buttons were not registering on the switch matrix. Go into switch test mode to verify.

#476 10 years ago

Did you know that 2 of the 3 DMD pictures from this Star Wars flyer were accidentally printed upside-down?

sw-flyer.jpgsw-flyer.jpg

#477 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Did you know that the 2 of the 3 DMD pictures from this Star Wars flyer were accidentally printed upside-down?

They're not upside down, that is another bug in the code you need to fix.

#478 10 years ago

They're not upside down, that is another bug in the code you need to fix.

Ha! Well... here is the fixed version...

sw-flyer-fixed.pngsw-flyer-fixed.png

1 month later
#479 10 years ago

FYI: We'll have this game and some ROMs at the Pinball Life open house in October.

1 week later
#480 10 years ago

Hi ChadH,

Congratulations on the amazing work you've done on the DESW 20th Anniversary ROM. I've become addicted to the machine here at work, and will be ordering the new ROM.

Quoted from ChadH:

Found a bug in the original code where if you have Adjustment 46 (Spot Death Star Moon) set to Extra Hard.
The bug is this... if you light all the moons that then automatically opens up the Death Star. You are supposed to "shoot the Death Star!" as C3PO keeps saying. If you don't make it in and instead drain, the next ball should STILL be in that "shoot the Death Star" mode... but it is not! The game returns to normal playing mode. In fact, the Death Star is still open and if you shoot into it.... it just ejects it out the Upkicker. The only way to restart the "Shoot the Death Star" mode is to drop the handle and press the fire button (and collect 5 million)... and the game does not indicate this in anyway.
This bug only happens on Extra Hard setting. Any other setting (Hard, Factory, Easy, Extra Easy) does not have this issue. On these easier settings, if the ball drains before you get the ball into the Death Star, the next ball starts up with the "Shoot the Death Star" mode activated properly.
Since the new default setting for Adjustment 46 is Extra Hard, this was a very important bug to fix. I have now fixed it so it behaves correctly.

We're encountering what may be the same, or a similar problem. Occasionally, the machine will enter a state where opening then entering the Death Star does not trigger the animation. (Also, in this state R2D2 does not respond to being shot.) You wait without pressing any buttons and after a minute or so the ball is ejected out the up kicker into the left ramp.

Can't seem to establish what triggers the problem; it might be opening the Death Star manually, or claiming the 5 million before draining, or opening it with all 8 moons then draining before completing.

We can't figure out how to reset the machine when it enters this state. My powers of Googling have failed me, too.

Any tips would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

#481 10 years ago
Quoted from DinnerPlate:

We're encountering what may be the same, or a similar problem. Occasionally, the machine will enter a state where opening then entering the Death Star does not trigger the animation. (Also, in this state R2D2 does not respond to being shot.) You wait without pressing any buttons and after a minute or so the ball is ejected out the up kicker into the left ramp.

Can't seem to establish what triggers the problem; it might be opening the Death Star manually, or claiming the 5 million before draining, or opening it with all 8 moons then draining before completing.

We can't figure out how to reset the machine when it enters this state. My powers of Googling have failed me, too.

Any tips would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

I would recommend you go into switch test mode and check the related switches. In particular, switch 41 (Target Up), 42 (Target Down), 36 (Vertical Upkicker), 34 (Death Star Trough - under playfield), and 35 (Obi-Wan Trough - under playfield).

Check page 25 of the manual here for locations:
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2358/Data_East_1992_Star_Wars_Manual.pdf

#482 10 years ago

Thanks, ChadH. Will see if we can locate the key to get access. Should be somewhere in the building, only six floors.

#483 10 years ago

To upgrade, is it just the EPROM C5 that is required?

#484 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

To upgrade, is it just the EPROM C5 that is required?

Yep.

#485 10 years ago

Thanks Chad. I'll get one as soon as I get my game. Thanks for all your hard work, seems as though it has really improved this game, from reading this thread.

#486 10 years ago

My Star Wars will be at the Pinball Life Open House tomorrow (Oct 18).

I'll be there with Mike at the DK Pinball booth. Stop by and say "hi" and check out the PIG 2 and other goodies for sale.

#487 10 years ago

Thank you so much Chad for all your work. I got my Star Wars on the 11th, and my chip upgrade today. You rock!

#488 10 years ago

This is a call to all of you out there that liked this Star Wars update.

I have received tons of feedback about this update and it has been absolutely 100% positive.

I am asking you all to please let Stern Pinball know that you really appreciated their official backing of this update. Even if you don't have a Star Wars, please let Stern know. It's important for them to hear feedback from you all. I need for them to know that their actions and their support were appreciated and I need them to hear it from you all.

If you know anyone at Stern, send them a note of thanks. If you meet them at Pinball Expo or any other pinball show, mention it to them. Especially the decision makers and those in management.

The more positive feedback they receive, the better off we all are.

Thanks,
Chad

#489 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I have received tons of feedback about this update and it has been absolutely 100% positive.
I am asking you all to please let Stern Pinball know that you really appreciated their official backing of this update. Even if you don't have a Star Wars, please let Stern know. It's important for them to hear feedback from you all. I need for them to know that their actions and their support were appreciated and I need them to hear it from you all.
If you know anyone at Stern, send them a note of thanks. If you meet them at Pinball Expo or any other pinball show, mention it to them. Especially the decision makers and those in management.
Thanks,
Chad

Bumping this for the Expo crowd.

2 weeks later
#490 10 years ago

I hadn't played mine much on the old rom but definitely love Chad's better. Death Star/ tri-ball is much more satisfying to achieve. I still don't try to get At-Ats but it is at least more reasonable to complete. Ball save is awesome!

I don't really have a set strategy in any game or ball. Sometimes go straight to lighting moons for multi-ball and multiple jackpots, sometimes try to light star wars right away (once I get the 10mil i tend to ignore center ramp except hyperspace and deathstar jackpot), sometimes try to get force-awards all knocked out. Every game seems to be different and take on its own life.

I have some switch / matrix issue I have to track down as I can get R2-D2 reward by hitting inner (habit trail) loop (c3po eye) again and some other weird stuff.

Anyway basically love the the code Chad. Glad I bought this game. Thanks!!

1 month later
#491 10 years ago

Great stuff Chad! Have you posted details of how you accomplished this? methods/software/tools you used to reverse engineer all this?

#492 10 years ago

Great work Chad. Pretty impressive

#493 10 years ago

I have been using the 20th Anniversary Neil Falconer tribute ROM from ChadH for over four months now and love all the updates. It's a lot more challenging and skill oriented, much better suited for competition play now. I sent Stern my compliments on allowing this to happen.

Will there be a 25th anniversary ROM DESW update???

#494 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Thanks,
Chad

Hi Chad,

I've had my star wars for 2 weeks. It arrived with the new code and love it. My previous high score was 241,000,000 but I had a Christmas day spectacular tonight and pulled off 461,000,000. Featured 3 Jackpot/Double Jackpot combos during tri-balls.

Love the game so far... and one thing especially great about it is the wife and kids are actually playing it too. Wife wouldn't lay a finger on the last pin I had.

1 month later
#495 10 years ago

Chad I played the machine with the new code in the pinball convention in S.FL, have to say you're a genius man, great job! It's was so much fun. I bought a DE SW a couple of days ago. I will order the roms for this as soon as I get the machine in my house. Not sure if you answered this already but any chance you can come back to the speeder mode for a revision later..?

#496 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Chad I played the machine with the new code in the pinball convention in S.FL, have to say you're a genius man, great job! It's was so much fun. I bought a DE SW a couple of days ago. I will order the roms for this as soon as I get the machine in my house. Not sure if you answered this already but any chance you can come back to the speeder mode for a revision later..?

Glad to hear you like it.

Speeder Mode would be a tough one to do. But it sure would be cool if it was possible.

#497 10 years ago

Chad,

I've had the new ROM for over a year and it really makes the game more balanced. One issue I've found is that when I drain a ball early and it says "Freeze" for the ball save, the death star and R2D2 stop rotating until the ball is drained. Anyone else having this issue?

#498 10 years ago

If you haven't found this thread yet, I would recommend it to the people reading this thread:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome

2 months later
#499 9 years ago

Here's a quick interview with DK Pinball at MGC 2014 which also includes talk of the Star Wars code update.

#500 9 years ago

Is anyone else having trouble opening the URL for the ROM download?: http://www.sternpinball.com/USB_SW12.html

When I click on this link (on the http://www.pinballcode.com website), I get a page not found error (see screenshot).

Where else can I download this ROM?

Best,

- Travis

Page_Not_Found_Error.PNGPage_Not_Found_Error.PNG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

€ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 540 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mod-data-east-star-wars-pinball-with-added-timed-ball-save-feature/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.