SKU-_1404_Spot_Welder-2.jpg
MMCASTLEBASE.JPG
2012-09-25_19-35-36_235.jpg
img_2605.jpg
young_frankenstein1.jpg
IMG_3260.JPG
IMG_3259.JPG
backglass.jpg
There are 408 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.
#301 11 years ago
Quoted from RickMcDaniel:

I don't see this as a legal problem as long as we are doing it from a learning experience and not trying to profit from it.

So you could provide the manpower to produce these in quantity, and you'd be doing it as a "not for profit"?
SWEET! When can I order one?
lol -seriously though... wonder if you could offer them as "tokens of thanks" for anyone who donates 10k or more to the school.
; )

#302 11 years ago

Why isn't rick making our metal pieces?

2 weeks later
#303 11 years ago

I have sent the CAD files of MM ball guides and other metal parts to those who requested them. These have the most current revisions. If I missed someone send me your email through Pinside or direct to wallybgood at comcast dot net. Wally

#304 11 years ago

From all of us, thank you for all of your help Wally!

#305 11 years ago

Vid, you're welcome. Glad that I could help. Wally

#306 11 years ago

I'd like to see a similar project for CC.

#307 11 years ago

I would be interested in this project as well....either assisting with a group build or buying the parts. What a fantastic initiative!

3 weeks later
#308 11 years ago

Some info. Pinball Life is now showing the Castle Actuator Bracket 04-10933 in stock. Previously, it had gone from rare to NA. Wally

#309 11 years ago

High Class pinballs lists that MM playfield at 10,892.50EUR. That works out to $14656.95. Am I missing something here??

#310 11 years ago

Anim..., the High Class Pinball website is pretty bad, especially on items out of stock. The last run went for $879 shipped. (additional $50 for dust free, additional $70 paypal use fee) Mirco is planning another MM run in Feb. (per his site) Wally

#311 11 years ago

Will got the first set of ball guides back for approval.

These are from AFM. They look amazing.

#312 11 years ago

So this is still moving along I assume?

#313 11 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

So this is still moving along I assume?

Of course, did anyone doubt that it would? ;.)

#314 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Of course, did anyone doubt that it would? ;.)

Haha, I hear ya. I will continue to monitor this thread and see how this progresses. Hope it works out.

#315 11 years ago

Those do look very nice. I might have missed it so are you going to bend the guides yourself like Wally did?

#316 11 years ago

I could never build one but will happily buy one from he who does : )

#317 11 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

are you going to bend the guides yourself like Wally did?

I imagine once we have a bunch to do, we will draft a bending schedule and have them mass bent.

But I have a break and a slip roll at the shop I rent space in, so I'll roll and bend the first ones.

Q: What is a Slip Roll?

A:

#318 11 years ago

One of my clients has a CNC wood shop and finally quoted our cabs.

In quantity, they can sell us the wood cabinets for $250.

They will ship flat and will be within UPS weight limits.

Fresh wood sure sounds better than sanding, filling and bondo on an old stinky one.

#319 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

One of my clients has a CNC wood shop and finally quoted our cabs.
In quantity, they can sell us the wood cabinets for $250.
They will ship flat and will be within UPS weight limits.
Fresh wood sure sounds better than sanding, filling and bondo on an old stinky one.

That is awesome. Cheaper than what you were looking at originally too. Glad to see this is still moving forward. I wish I had a skill that would be helpful to the project.

#320 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

they can sell us the wood cabinets for $250

SWEEET!

#321 11 years ago

Damn that is a good price on the cabs

#322 11 years ago

Vid, that is a great price on the cabs! I'm assuming that it includes the backbox also. Thanks for taking this on. When it comes time to get a list of buyers it may be good to start a specific new topic so that it doesn't get buried here. I would be interested in one. I can see where there might be people interested who are simply restoring a different WPC-95 pin. It would be nice if there was a single option to have the coin door section cut for either a launch button or a plunger shooter.
Are the individual sections and joints cut siimiliar to this?

Again, great job. Wally

#323 11 years ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

I'm assuming that it includes the backbox also.

Yes, of course.

Quoted from wallybgood:

I can see where there might be people interested who are simply restoring a different WPC-95 pin.

Sure. I imagine that some people will buy a few and leave them unassembled for future restores.

Quoted from wallybgood:

Are the individual sections and joints cut siimiliar to this?

Those loc-joints are notorious for coming apart. I've fixed literally 100s over the years.

Being a wood worker, I'd like to see Biscuit joints, but I guess we will have make a decision. Loc-joints for historical accuracy, or Biscuit joints for strength.

Quoted from wallybgood:

It would be nice if there was a single option to have the coin door section cut for either a launch button or a plunger shooter.

That would be a quick programming selection, and would not affect the price (at least I can't see why it would).

#324 11 years ago

I vote biscuit for strength.

We want better than original!!

Thanks for all the leg work vid!

#325 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Being a wood worker, I'd like to see Biscuit joints, but I guess we will have make a decision. Loc-joints for historical accuracy, or Biscuit joints for strength.

I've got to ask, why are little biscuts stronger than the entire piece of wood as a joint?

#326 11 years ago

Sweet progress.. looks like I'll have a new job about the time this project really gets rolling. Time to sock $$ away for a home built MM.

Better is always better, but what would a plunger add to the game?

#327 11 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

I've got to ask, why are little biscuts stronger than the entire piece of wood as a joint?

Biscuits are hard pieces of Birch, mechanically compressed. Much harder than the spruce, pine, fir that plywood is usually made from.

When the Biscuits become moist from the glue (you can't use epoxy for Biscuits), they expand and can not be removed.

Even if you wet them with water to make then expand, it is almost impossible to pull them out.

You still glue the entire joint, like the loc-joint, but you also add the Biscuits.

Dovetail joints would be even stronger (the strongest wood joint in the world) but the pattern of the joint would telegraph through the paint. Not acceptable in my opinion.

#328 11 years ago
Quoted from KloggMonkey:

Better is always better, but what would a plunger add to the game?

It would add nothing to MM, but people needing a cab for another title would need the cab routed for a plunger.

#329 11 years ago

IMHO, the cabinet would be stronger as originally designed. While biscuits are convenient for alignment, the actual surface area for glue is reduced. Using the correct glue with the proper clamps will result in a structurally sound cabinet.

Steve (in Escalon, CA)

#330 11 years ago
Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

IMHO, the cabinet would be stronger as originally designed. While biscuits are convenient for alignment, the actual surface area for glue is reduced. Using the correct glue with the proper clamps will result in a structurally sound cabinet.
Steve (in Escalon, CA)

I guess we would have to mock up some joints and test them in a press to see at what PSI does the joint fail.

On all the ones I've repaired, its not the glue that fails, but the soft tongue of the wood just breaks off.

Next time you repair a split cab, take a look how the joint breaks.

The Spruce Pin Fir plywood used originally was 5 core.

If we used 13 core "Baltic Birch" plywood, it would be 4x stronger than the SPF plywood that was used by Williams. It would also be twice as heavy and probably 2x the raw material cost (so maybe $40 more at the end of the day, plus the additional shipping charges). I would have total confidence in the strength of a loc-joint in Baltic Birch.

Would a heavier game be seen as an advantage to anyone?

They also make SPF plywood with a thin veneer of MDF so you just prime and paint with no sanding needed.

#331 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I vote biscuit for strength.

We want better than original!!

I vote for biscuits too.

I'd rather have strength over a heavier cab.

#332 11 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

I vote for biscuits too.
I'd rather have strength over a heavier cab.

I nominate for cichlid fo the best avatar on the entire site.

#333 11 years ago

This seems like an awesome project, what else is needed I am willing to help out if theres anything I can do. I have a background in machining, I think I could even make wire harnesses if I had an original set to copy. Just trying to think how I could help out and also benefit from this project Oh and my brother already makes Killer wooden playfield rails if we had a set to copy we could crank them out too!

#334 11 years ago

This has me excited about a cool project. There's a few assemblies on the underside that isn't available aside from the top side. Sounds like someone can do the side rails. How about the back panel?

#335 11 years ago
Quoted from PinsRfun:

How about the back panel?

No Prob

1 month later
#336 11 years ago

Have we had any forward progress on this ?

#337 11 years ago

This is, without question, the coolest project on pinside.

#338 11 years ago

I'm curious if there are any changes you would make to the original, since you are going to be building it from scratch? Is there a way to redo some of the metal parts that might be more prone to break than others, or redo art on some of the plastics (take the basketball off the catapult?) etc.

#339 11 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

take the basketball off the catapult

I don't mind this at all, it fits the theme. It seems to bother some folks for some reason. It's no more out of place than converse shoes on the troll, or a toasted marshmallow on the arrow

#340 11 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

I'm curious if there are any changes you would make to the original, since you are going to be building it from scratch? Is there a way to redo some of the metal parts that might be more prone to break than others, or redo art on some of the plastics (take the basketball off the catapult?) etc.

This is supposed to be a re-creation and not a remastered version of the game.

#341 11 years ago

Have we had any forward progress on this ?

Sometime next week I believe the ordering for the AFM wire ramps will be open to all who are doing the AFM rebuild. Cost will be $250 a pair.

I got the test set back for my customer, made from stainless steel, and it came out great.

They were first was going to do red powdercoat, but they told me this afternoon that they had sent them out for Black Nickel plating.

Sorry about the crappy picture, I did not take it:

afm-wire-ramps.jpgafm-wire-ramps.jpg

#342 11 years ago

Where is home base for this operation? OR or WA sounds good to me. Would be down for a week long workcation to assemble.

#343 11 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

It's your game, you can do with it what you like.

You are not the first person to say get rid of the "gay" basketball.

New art could be used, or you can just polish off the art and leave it clear like F14 does.

The new wire ramps are TIG welded, rather than braised like the originals, so those welds are never coming apart (the weld is stronger than the wire frame itself). They won't rust either because they are stainless steel.

#344 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's your game, you can do with it what you like.You are not the first person to say get rid of the "gay" basketball.New art could be used, or you can just polish off the art and leave it clear like F14 does.The new wire ramps are TIG welded, rather than braised like the originals, so those welds are never coming apart (the weld is stronger than the wire frame itself). They won't rust either because they are stainless steel.

Will those polish to a mirror shine?

#345 11 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Will those polish to a mirror shine?

The plastics after the basketball is removed? Yes.

The wire ramps? Stainless Steel polishes easily with Green Compound.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-lb-green-polish-compound-96778.html

You can also do powdercoat, Nickel, Brass or Hard Chrome depending on the look you want.

Maybe Pinchroma will give you guys a break if he does all the powdercoating at once.

#346 11 years ago

Oops not the plastics lol. The wireforms. Good deal on the powdercoat

#347 11 years ago

Nice work on the AFM ramps. When are the MM ramps starting or is that waiting for the AFM ramps to be done first?

Sam

#348 11 years ago

There is going to be some overlap between the MM and AFM builds.

I know, everyone wants the game they are working on to be completed first, but some items, like the ball guides will "nest" better doing both games at once. That will make the cost less.

Quoted from PinsRfun:

Nice work on the AFM ramps. When are the MM ramps starting or is that waiting for the AFM ramps to be done first?
Sam

#349 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I could never build one but will happily buy one from he who does : )

And then sell it when a bulb burns out? You got to start doing some maintenance!

Dan

#350 11 years ago

These are the repro AFM ramps from Pinball Inc.

They are much better than the thin junky ones Williams made.

Jim has been running the set of 3 with decals for $249 at all the shows.

Same price for the 3 piece MM set.

http://www.pinballinc.com/ramps.html

AFM-plastic-ramps-decals.jpgAFM-plastic-ramps-decals.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 408 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mm/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.