Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160124_145339_(resized).jpg
20160124_132857_(resized).jpg
Drilling_into_Clearcoat_(resized).png
20160121_212308_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi,

I've been preparing to do a playfield swap on my STTNG using a new Mirco playfield and have a couple questions to ask before I start installing parts on it.

1. I tried installing some metal posts on the new playfield and noticed that the holes for the posts are slightly smaller then those on the original playfield. The entire post won't go through the new playfield which is making me wonder if drilling the holes slightly larger on a new aftermarket playfield necessary / typical? It seems like that may depend on the playfield manufacturer from other threads I've read through. Also, if drilling is necessary do you recommend drilling from the top or underside of the playfield?

2. Would you recommend still installing Cliffy's and applying mylar in potential wear areas on a new aftermarket playfield? I'm assuming yes on the Cliffy's as many of us, including myself, install them on NIB games. For mylar I was thinking of putting a piece down where the ball comes out of the circular habit rail and lands on the playfield and cut a section out for the pop bumper area.

Thank you!

Picture of post not fitting in new playfield. Only a portion of the post (the threaded part) is able to make it through the playfield.

20160121_212308_(resized).jpg20160121_212308_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

All Mirco playfields will require you to drill out the post holes. Mylar i would say no but Cliffy's is your own thoughts. Some playfields the clear will chip around the holes so you might as well put them on.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from ngoett:

All Mirco playfields will require you to drill out the post holes. Mylar i would say no but Cliffy's is your own thoughts. Some playfields the clear will chip around the holes so you might as well put them on.

Thanks! Good to know. Would you recommend drilling through the top or bottom of the post holes? Just wondering if one direction or the other could cause any necessary playfield chipping.

#4 8 years ago

Typically you'd wanna drill top to bottom to reduce burrs on the topside. I'd suspect this is how you'd wanna do it, but I've never done this on clear coated wood before either. In any case I'd wanna make sure I used a sharp or new drill bit.

#5 8 years ago

Drill from the top, and use a sharp brad-tip drill bit to get as clean a hole as possible and minimize clear coat chips.

#6 8 years ago

Just curious. What is the advantage of using a brad-tip drill bit when drilling out an existing hole? I understand when drilling a fresh hole - the brad-tip helps keep the bit from "wandering".

#7 8 years ago

I've seen recommendations for smaller protectors, such as these (scroll down):

http://www.mantisamusements.com/sttng.htm

Cliffy hole protectors are designed to both protect the hole's edges as well as hide typical damage that may have accumulated already. Since you have no damage to cover up, the smaller protectors are just intended to prevent the hole damage from starting.

Or, that's the logic of it, anyway. I don't think there's been a long-term/high-plays comparison on them yet.

#8 8 years ago

Thanks guys for all the tips! I drilled from the top like you said, took my time and had no issues. I now have one post on the new playfield. I'm on my way, only a few hundred other things to connect / screw on and I'll be done with this STTNG playfield swap, lol.

#9 8 years ago

Gl on the swap. Sttng has a lot going on... Mines got a nice playfield but the thought has crossed my mind to pick up a playfield while they are still available. I'd put a nice wax coat on it and apply Mylar in the factory spots. It's prolly not needed at ALL but with all the effort a playfield swap takes its cheap insurance in keeping it nice.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

Just curious. What is the advantage of using a brad-tip drill bit when drilling out an existing hole? I understand when drilling a fresh hole - the brad-tip helps keep the bit from "wandering".

I am no expert, but if you are enlarging a hole in slightest amount, you should use the sharp brad tip because it will cut through the Clearcoat around the circumference of the enlarged hole clean and reduce chances of chipping or lifting up the PF clear. Just my opinion from experience.

#11 8 years ago

drill all the holes first. I also took a forstner to clean out any impressions that were for top side t-nuts, not sure if STTNG has any though.
Also check for clearance when installing slingshot kicker arms so they don't hit the front of their slots.

As for mylar, I put a piece under ramp flaps were the flap meets the playfield. That edge over time will scrape of dig into the playfield.

I also put mylar at drops.

As far as protectors I use Mantis protectors for holes when available, if not a Cliffy is a must for any holes.

#12 8 years ago

These are great tips. (No pun intended.)

I have a new Mirco FH playfield to install. Would you mind sharing what size brad point bit you use for post holes and what size forstner you use for the t-nuts?

Thanks

#13 8 years ago

honestly cannot remember. Sorry. Go as close as you can on diameter to the post shaft. Forstner was whatever matched Mirco's holes.

If doing an AFM playfield and using a Mantis protecter there is a good chance you will have to open up the SOL hole. It's not bad but to do but better to do it before it is populated.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

I am no expert, but if you are enlarging a hole in slightest amount, you should use the sharp brad tip because it will cut through the Clearcoat around the circumference of the enlarged hole clean and reduce chances of chipping or lifting up the PF clear. Just my opinion from experience.

Ah, ok I think I see it now. The brad point drill bits have points at the edge as well as the point in the middle. So with the Mirco playfield are you really just using the drill bit to remove clear from inside the hole, or is the hole being enlarged a bit also?

#15 8 years ago

For sure Mylar under drops, around pops, and any other high wear locations.

#16 8 years ago

Unfortunately, most holes where posts should go have to be drilled out with a slightly larger bit.

As I have gone through the same steps as you have, please refrain from drilling directly the through clearcoat layer regardless of the sharpness of the bit. It can and will happen that the clearcoat cracks or gets nicks in it. What I found very handy is putting the drill in reverse, and scrape off the clearcoat layer first. After you are through that, continue with the drill normally in forward.

Maybe try it first on a couple of holes that are out of sight or under the apron to get a feel of it.

I would install a cliffy at least in the NZ scoop, maybe a mylar between poppers and the right orbit where the ball exits the shooter habitrail. Another idea might be to install a makrolon playfield protector, if you can get it. These are very thin playfield-sized protectors that are placed over the playfield. We've installed a couple of these, and they are *very* nice.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from FreeBee:

Maybe try it first on a couple of holes that are out of sight or under the apron to get a feel of it.

this

#18 8 years ago

Here is a recommendation from CPR regarding drilling into clearcoat from their PF installation web page: This is focused on drilling starter or pilot holes for screws, not so much for enlarging PF metal post holes: http://www.classicplayfields.com/vote.html: There is also a video on their page.

Drilling_into_Clearcoat_(resized).pngDrilling_into_Clearcoat_(resized).png

#19 8 years ago

Are there any current sources for STTNG repo playfields?

#20 8 years ago

STTNG will look stunning when you are done! Have a wh2o mirco to do sometime myself!

#22 8 years ago

Thanks for all of the additional tips guys. They really help!

For screw holes I've been widening them with a drill bit as well. However, I notice that as I tighten a screw down into the playfield that a little bit of the clear coat around it appears to expand / crack around the screw hole. Is this normal and is there anyway to prevent it?

Thank you

#23 8 years ago

Use a SHARP, BRAND NEW brad point bit and just scribe a circle in the clear coat (you can turn the bit by hand).

The cracks will end at the circle, and be hidden under the post.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Use a SHARP, BRAND NEW brad point bit and just scribe a circle in the clear coat (you can turn the bit by hand).

Thank you!

#25 8 years ago

I have used these and they are excellent but not cheap. They should be stored properly, not thrown in bottom of tool bag.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=42352&cat=1,180,42240

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I picked up some new brad point bits today and they work great! Thank you for the tip.

I ended up getting the set below from Sears, $20. I did notice that some Sears still have the "made in Germany" sets available while all of the newer sets are made in China...Packaging looks identical except for the "made in..." label on the back. The 1/8" bit is perfect for standard playfield screws while the 3/16" would work well for enlarging post holes. I'm sure the other bits in the set will come in handy at some point.

Using the 1/8" bit to slightly widen the existing screw holes and rocking the bit very slightly around the existing hole resulted in no clear coat cracking after tightening (slowly) the screw.

http://www.sears.com/cm-bradpointb/p-00918600000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

20160124_145339_(resized).jpg20160124_145339_(resized).jpg
20160124_132857_(resized).jpg20160124_132857_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 63.95
$ 85.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mirco-playfield-sttng-question-drilling-mylar-cliffys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.