(Topic ID: 345048)

New Metallica?

By Hulk7979

9 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    metal_up_your_ass (resized).jpg
    SmartSelect_20240706_010651_Chrome (resized).jpg
    BF904AA9-DFFB-402D-967E-277E3A7E71A8.gif
    IMG_3048 (resized).jpeg
    SmartSelect_20240701_010923_Chrome (resized).jpg
    IMG_3067 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6341 (resized).jpeg
    SmartSelect_20240629_101718_Instagram (resized).jpg
    IMG_2329 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6212 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6210 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6211 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6209 (resized).jpeg
    get_used_to_disappointment.gif
    20240613_213614 (resized).jpg
    There are 673 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 14.
    #501 23 days ago
    Quoted from OGpinball:

I had over almost 6000 plays on my original Metallica Pro and even though it looked great, played great, I sold it for $7500 thinking I would be on the hook for $9500 for a new Premium. I am actually hoping it is the same, but improved - with better lighting, music and video assets. We really are not hard core Metallica fans except for the machine - love the gameplay and hope it stays the same, but better.

Same. I had a pro for years and put thousands of plays on it. Not really a Metallica fan but game was just awesome. Sold mine mostly because limited space and wanted something different. I wish I got $7500 for my pro. I actually had a hard time selling mine and ended up settling for a lot less than I wanted. They had a long production run so tons of games out there already.

#502 23 days ago

I'm betting it's a whole new game - or effectively a new MET game with the same layout. A same-theme-retheme, LOL.

The way Gomez talked in recent interviews about remakes and emulating the DMD vs new LCD content kind of puts the emulation idea to bed IMO - I get the distinct feeling he is not a fan of reusing dots. He makes a comment to the effect of once you start going down that line, which way do you go with the new graphics? I don't get the impression he's a fan just redoing the graphics to just "LCD-a-dize" the same game again. But maybe that is reading too much or the wrong things into it. Loserkid interview below - the line of questions around Spike 3 and remakes starts around minute 54 I believe. Remake talk mainly starts at 56:20 or so. Super interesting talk with Gomez, IMO.

Interview video here:

#503 23 days ago

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1630441337797731?fs=e&s=TIeQ9V&mibextid=GGtJg3

Please put this concert footage in!! I can’t wait to see them
    In September. Last September they canceled due to Covid and fingered crossed for this year!!

#504 22 days ago

Use Through the Never for the concept. Done.

#505 22 days ago

Am I in the minority that would want the same soundtrack as before accompanied by concert footage from that respective era? (or here's an idea- NO CONCERT FOOTAGE!!!).
    I don't like nor want any shitallica from the last handful of albums, it's all terrifyingly bad.
    I don't want Through the Never, I don't want geriatric worltoour from today, keep it good! Please!

#506 22 days ago

Put me down for NO CONCERT FOOTAGE - different strokes and all that, but I dislike any concert and playing as the band crap in music pins. Maiden and OG Metallica do it right - you're playing a game with the band's lore, overall musical theme, and iconography with their awesome soundtrack - no concert, tour, or song jackpot BS.

I don't have any confidence in them improving on the original MET with an all new game. Almost assured to have a bunch of newer music too - guess we'll see. Hardwired has some ok songs, but yikes on everything else from the recent two decades of their stuff...

#507 22 days ago
    Quoted from PinKopf:

Put me down for NO CONCERT FOOTAGE - different strokes and all that, but I dislike any concert and playing as the band crap in music pins. Maiden and OG Metallica do it right - you're playing a game with the band's lore, overall musical theme, and iconography with their awesome soundtrack - no concert, tour, or song jackpot BS.

Yeah, if you've had a ColorDMD added, the dots on the original metallica are great as-is. Redoing and expanding that a bit to fit the new aspect ratio would be all I would want.

Quoted from PinKopf:

I don't have any confidence in them improving on the original MET with an all new game. Almost assured to have a bunch of newer music too - guess we'll see. Hardwired has some ok songs, but yikes on everything else from the recent two decades of their stuff...

I really do not think this is anything more than a port to Spike3 with the necessary changes like screen, dots, maybe sound and art package. It's not an all-new game. Trying to outdo Lyman's work on that pin is a fool's errand. "Fixing" the wood chopping aspects of it might end up breaking the game entirely - you just never know. Plus, I don't think Stern wants to go that deep on it. They don't even want to go to the trouble to stick a chick in it and make her gay. Just the basics of a vault port to Spike3 is the game plan, IMO.

#508 22 days ago

Yeah I am also looking for just freshening up the original game. This is what I would hope for;

1) Same layout, same game art. Maybe with some UV ink added to go with new UV based expression lights?
    2) Same code or maybe I could be ok with small, careful additions.
    3) Original dots but as mentioned, colorfied, higher res and adjusted to fit on the LCD. The animations with ColorDMD are perfect in my opinion. However, like other remakes adding an alternative, selectable concert video option would be a nice way to add fresh content.
    4) Same track list with one or two new songs. Can Four Horseman make a comeback? Of course all audio to have quality greatly improved and in stereo. New band callouts would be fantastic.
    5) Expression light integration both cabinet and speakers.
    6) Not really on my wishlist, but I would assume there would be IC integration. This could be a way to give the impression of new code through specific new challenges/badges but not actually touching the game code.

I think it's fair to see this generic formula working for other potential remake titles.

Even though I am one of "those guys" who disliked the hammer mech enough to buy a pro, I would be fine if this was offered as a premium model only. I probably would end up keeping my original pro and putting the new remake right next to it.........because I am dumb.

#509 22 days ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, if you've had a ColorDMD added, the dots on the original metallica are great as-is. Redoing and expanding that a bit to fit the new aspect ratio would be all I would want.

I really do not think this is anything more than a port to Spike3 with the necessary changes like screen, dots, maybe sound and art package. It's not an all-new game. Trying to outdo Lyman's work on that pin is a fool's errand. "Fixing" the wood chopping aspects of it might end up breaking the game entirely - you just never know. Plus, I don't think Stern wants to go that deep on it. They don't even want to go to the trouble to stick a chick in it and make her gay. Just the basics of a vault port to Spike3 is the game plan, IMO.

"Stick a chick in it and make her gay"? Did I miss something?

#510 22 days ago
    Quoted from Enchantress:

"Stick a chick in it and make her gay"? Did I miss something?

It was a Disney joke due to the Stern CEO's former job. South Park completely destroyed Kathleen Kennedy and Disney for ruining the movies she's done using her secret formula of "put a chick in it [the movie] and make her gay." It was brutal.

Here's a clip of some of it (there are f-bombs, so be warned):

#511 21 days ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Same. I had a pro for years and put thousands of plays on it. Not really a Metallica fan but game was just awesome. Sold mine mostly because limited space and wanted something different. I wish I got $7500 for my pro. I actually had a hard time selling mine and ended up settling for a lot less than I wanted. They had a long production run so tons of games out there already.

Did your original cross break? Mine broke after a few hundred plays, put in the indestructible cross and RobF rising cross - DOPE

#512 21 days ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I don't think it matters. Most people probably wouldn't be able to tell Spike 3 from 2 at a glance, unless they do something radical with the cabinet....which I doubt because pinheads loath change

Spike3 has a larger display.

#513 21 days ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Spike3 has a larger display.

Ugh. I hope not.

#514 20 days ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Ugh. I hope not.

I'm quite happy with the current form factor of the Stern machines also.

#515 19 days ago
    Quoted from THEFOZ:

Did your original cross break? Mine broke after a few hundred plays, put in the indestructible cross and RobF rising cross - DOPE

Nope. Only issue I remember having was sticker on cross drop target got messed up. Barely did any maintenance and game played perfect for thousands of plays.

#516 19 days ago

Anyone notice more Metallica coming up for sale recently?

Rob

#517 19 days ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

Metallica prices have suddenly gotten more reasonable, too. Almost like a vault is imminent.

Notice TRON used sales are getting more active, too.

#518 19 days ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

I have noticed over the last few weeks. I'll be sticking with mine.

#519 19 days ago

My only complaints on my pro is the sound quality and how the music just loops before you plunge instead of playing the song. Hopefully they change both. But, I'm still probably buying regardless.

#520 19 days ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

Quoted from PinMonk:

Metallica prices have suddenly gotten more reasonable, too.

Ahem.... BUY!!!!!! I love my MET. For me it is absolutely a bird in the hand. A whole new MET game would be a new game, and Stern doesn't have the best hit rate for me. I won't give it any props because it is MET2, it would have to stand on its own.

That means I wouldn't think of buying until I've played it. And then I would have to absolutely love it. And then I would have to want it so much that I would shove another game I really like out the door (full). The last game that pulled that trick off was GZ.

#521 19 days ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Metallica prices have suddenly gotten more reasonable, too. Almost like a vault is imminent.

Seems to be a trend with all games as of late, not specific to metallica...

#522 19 days ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Seems to be a trend with all games as of late, not specific to metallica...

Metallica's seems to be accelerated from the general fall in pinball prices, and the availability of Metallica specifically seems to have increased.

#524 19 days ago

People still asking more for met premiums than I’d pay. Still nice to see some movement down.

#525 19 days ago

My heavily modded MoP LE stays put, but I might pull the trigger on Metallica 2.0 if it’s a home run. We will see!

#526 19 days ago
    Quoted from darkryder:

My heavily modded MoP LE stays put, but I might pull the trigger on Metallica 2.0 if it’s a home run. We will see!

Exactly the same here. If it's a home run, I'll have 2

#527 19 days ago
    Quoted from darkryder:

So… I did not get into pinball ownership until 2017… bought MET Pre NIB in 2018.

I heard reading in posts MET’s code was not awesome until the last few pushes from Lyman? Is that correct?

My limited space for pins cannot handle 2 MET machines. I’ll be sitting on the sidelines with my OG machine.

Would be interesting to hear who could be coding the rule set if this does come true.

#528 19 days ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

So… I did not get into pinball ownership until 2017… bought MET Pre NIB in 2018.
    I heard reading in posts MET’s code was not awesome until the last few pushes from Lyman? Is that correct?
    My limited space for pins cannot handle 2 MET machines. I’ll be sitting on the sidelines with my OG machine.
    Would be interesting to hear who could be coding the rule set if this does come true.

2 ways to look at this.

OG Met with some updating.

All New Met. Will they request a specific designer?

I feel like it's going to be all new. If it were the same layout as a vault, they would have to spend money on the mechs. Flow is the new mech, all new and wait until you play.

#529 19 days ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Nope. Only issue I remember having was sticker on cross drop target got messed up. Barely did any maintenance and game played perfect for thousands of plays.

I have never stripped my original Metallica Pro or carried out any major maintenance, but it still looks amazing after many many plays. The shooter lane looks pristine. Did this one get a better clear coat? No indentations or black marks.

#530 18 days ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

My only complaints on my pro is the sound quality and how the music just loops before you plunge instead of playing the song. Hopefully they change both. But, I'm still probably buying regardless.

I hooked up a 10" subwoofer on mine. Big improvement. My big complaint on the pro is the absence of spinners. That really affects gameplay imo and spinners should not be a premium feature. It's just one switch c'mon.

#531 18 days ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I hooked up a 10" subwoofer on mine. Big improvement. My big complaint on the pro is the absence of spinners. That really affects gameplay imo and spinners should not be a premium feature. It's just one switch c'mon.

I have a 12" klipsch and pinwoofer, but Sam is mono. Spike 2 games just sound so much better.

#532 18 days ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

I had a Metallica LE from day one. It took 9 months to get v1.5 with Crank It Up modes. Before that it was all chop and no wood.

Significant updates continued to roll out every year or so, until the code was finally complete in November 2018, over five years after release. It's all in the readme file.

#533 18 days ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

My head decals are now peeling on my pro. Can’t find replacements anywhere.

#534 18 days ago
    Quoted from FalconDriver:

I thought I saw them at Pinball Life. https://www.pinballlife.com/metallica-pro-backbox-decal-for-wood-backbox-left.html

#535 18 days ago

Did you check if Stern still has them? When mine fell off about 5 years ago, they still had them (both head styles).

#536 18 days ago

Check with Planetary Pinball

#537 18 days ago
    Quoted from ahdelarge:I have never stripped my original Metallica Pro or carried out any major maintenance, but it still looks amazing after many many plays. The shooter lane looks pristine. Did this one get a better clear coat? No indentations or black marks.

Mine looks perfect as well, hard clearcoat no dimples. Much better than my Godzilla PF.

#538 16 days ago

IYKYK

#539 16 days ago

Looks like premium and possible LE Spike 3 new artwork pin coming… still speculation but source of info from Dons Pinball Podcast

#540 16 days ago
    Quoted from JorgesArcade:

Looks like premium and possible LE Spike 3 new artwork pin coming… still speculation but source of info from Dons Pinball Podcast

I think it's more likely Stern offers two Premium art choices rather than drive another stake in their cornerstone first run LE sales with a re-run LE with different art.

They've done it before. Seems the most likely.

#541 16 days ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I think it's more likely Stern offers two Premium art choices rather than drive another stake in their cornerstone first run LE sales with a re-run LE with different art.
    They've done it before. Seems the most likely.

I haven't owned an LE yet, but i would be annoyed as hell if they came out with new LE's. But on the other hand, if a new art , same game layout, would this be justified then?

#542 16 days ago

I haven't owned an LE yet, but i would be annoyed as hell if they came out with new LE's. But on the other hand, if a new game entirely and layout, would this be justified then?

I haven't heard new. With the screen change and maybe extra video gomez hinted at and extra sound more like a 1.5.

#543 16 days ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I haven't heard new. With the screen change and maybe extra video gomez hinted at and extra sound more like a 1.5.

edited. Same layout just new art … still be interesting to see how they play this out

#544 16 days ago

Sorry. Dirty Donny revolutionized pinball art and made Metallica what it is. Anything new without him will be just another game and why I am not ever giving up my pin. Nothing else compares. If he isn't doing the art I'm out. Good luck Stern. Don't forget to include the hammer on "Kill em All".

#545 16 days ago

Man, that crowd is way too mellow for Leper Messiah! Everyone should be moshing, come on. They still kick ass so hard after all these years

#546 15 days ago

edited. Same layout just new art … still be interesting to see how they play this out

I've said it before and I'll say it again. What kind of sacrilegious bullshit is Stern pulling now? They have no respect for their own legacy. It's just sad.

#548 15 days ago

a dud then
    The original is lord king !

#549 15 days ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. What kind of sacrilegious bullshit is Stern pulling now? They have no respect for their own legacy. It's just sad.

???? When did Stern have respect for their legacy, besides talking about how they were the only ones to save pinball about 25 years ago?

Stern is a company. Companies exist to make money. They figure if they can sell these, they are doing their job. Legacy has nothing to do with it. A MET that they sold in 2016 has nothing to do with their bottom line anymore.

#550 15 days ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

???? When did Stern have respect for their legacy, besides talking about how they were the only ones to save pinball about 25 years ago?
    Stern is a company. Companies exist to make money. They figure if they can sell these, they are doing their job. Legacy has nothing to do with it. A MET that they sold in 2016 has nothing to do with their bottom line anymore.

That's quite the excuse for basically painting over the Mona Lisa. Stern can do whatever they want, I don't have to like it. I hope this game fails hard.

There are 673 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.