Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by brucipher
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

briefingtime2.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Hello all,
    I am a brand new member and I am on the Hunt for my first pinball, and I am hoping to meet some local members and learn as much as I can about the hobby. I am sure I will be asking for all of your help once I actually get my first pin (and before I will try not to make too many price check threads). I have been trying to go to the local arcades that I can find to play as many different pins as I can but there is not a huge selection. I am planning on going to the Allentown show but I have all of a sudden got pin fever and it seems soo far away. I have been trolling the site for about two weeks and it seems like this I a really nice community.
    If I get a pin in relatively good working condition how often will it break down or is it game dependent are there specific games that i should stay away from as a beginner since there will be a lot more fixing and maintaining compared to other games or is it really random based on the previous owners.

thanks
    Nick

#2 11 years ago

Welcome. You might look into getting a Monopoly for the railroads.

#3 11 years ago

Keep doing your homework. Learn as much as you can. Hit a show.

Make that first pin a great experience and welcome to a great hobby.

LTG : )

#4 11 years ago

You can check out your neighbor Flipper Fidelity in Fleetwood. He's a Stern distributor and has an awesome collection. Welcome to the party pal

#5 11 years ago

Really impossible to say when a working pin will break, but suffice to say anything that goes wrong can be troubleshooted and fixed.

A great place to start is to pick up Clay's pin repair "This old Pinball" videos. Even if you dont have a pin yet, his videos wil get you in the mood and prepare you for ownership.

http://www.pinrepair.com/top/

At the minimum get DVD #3, 4 and 7 since they deal with solid state games you are most likely interested in...unless you are interested in the older EM games.. or just get them all!

#6 11 years ago

Welcome to the site Nick

#7 11 years ago

Welcome neighbor!

#8 11 years ago

Welcome. There are a bunch of us in the Reading area with pinball collections. Send me an email with what your looking for and i will help you anyway i can. There is usually always someone in the area looking to move a game to fit another.

Good luck with the search
    Mike

#9 11 years ago

The Pinball Gallery in Downingtown is also a great way to play a bunch of machines and get to know people: http://www.pinballgallery.net/

It looks like it is about 45 minutes from downtown Reading. They have monthly tournaments as well as a league. The spring league actually starts this Thursday.

-Jay

#10 11 years ago

Actually I went to the gallery for a little bit on saturday. Thank for all the info I will check out those videos and the flipper place. I will try to update this with any other pinball adventures I have

#11 11 years ago

Welcome to the Site. It seems PA is being represented pretty well these days.

#12 11 years ago

Welcome, neighbor!

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Welcome to the Site. It seems PA is being represented pretty well these days.

Yeah, but it seems a whole lot are from the wrong side of the state.

Jk. Welcome!

#14 11 years ago

Reading, PA

I fly out there every year for the Mid-Atlantic WWII Weekend.

Welcome to Pinside.

briefingtime2.jpgbriefingtime2.jpg

1 month later
    #15 11 years ago

Well I am picking up my first machine soon.... that did not take long (judge dredd) . I will probably need local help when I have problems : ) since I am a newbie. I am super excited !!! I also had a great time playing the sellers others games

#16 11 years ago

Welcome!
    Put some pics up when you have the machine setup.

#17 11 years ago

Welcome. I just a judge dredd also there is a lot going in it so it should be a good pin to start out on and everything else is easy.

#18 11 years ago

<--- originally from Reading, welcome to Pinside.

#19 11 years ago

Congrats! That should keep you busy for at least 3-6 months.

#20 11 years ago

Congratulations and welcome!

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from nocreditdot:

Welcome. There are a bunch of us in the Reading area with pinball collections. Send me an email with what your looking for and i will help you anyway i can. There is usually always someone in the area looking to move a game to fit another.

THIS is what Pinside is all about! I'm sure you'll find plenty of new friends with machines in your area...

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from nick9819:

Well I am picking up my first machine soon.... that did not take long (Judge Dredd) . I will probably need local help when I have problems : ) since I am a newbie. I am super excited !!! I also had a great time playing the sellers others games

Welcome to the club!!! Congrats!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-member-in-reading-pa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.