You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8E130C69-A41C-4ABD-B294-28E359A03636 (resized).jpeg
7454BB6D-F5E4-4451-BF46-336AF9899509 (resized).jpeg
DSC_0001 2 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I recently moved my Little Chief machine into my man cave and decided it was time to get it running again! I bought this machine about 30 years ago and had it set up in my parents front room then in my own front room in the Bay area,but when we moved back to Northern Arizona we didn't have any room for it so it went into storage in a not so clean room in the barn,I moved it into a room in my man cave about 10 years ago but by then the super fine blow sand had gotten into everything and the rubbers had dried out and were falling apart.
So last week I got my set of rubbers and started blowing out the contacts and vacuuming all the dirt out,slowly it is coming back to life,the more I play it the more it's starting to function correctly,I still have some problem with the score resetting,it keeps running past zero,I find if I manually reset all the digits it reset more often. I going through all the play surface contacts cleaning and resetting the gaps,after two days of tinkering I think I have them all working.
When I got the rubber kit I found that there wasn't enough rings for all the single post,then I got looking online and realized someone added extra post,not sure who or when but it's been like this since I bought it,I have some extra rings coming to replace them.
My wife has already sewed up a dust cover for me so that when I do get it running right it doesn't get filled with dust again. The area I live in is horrible for super fine blow sand,it gets in everything,no matter how tight your building is!
Over the last week while working on this I kept seeing link to this website and figured I should join since I know I'm going to need help eventually.

DSC_0001 2 (resized).jpgDSC_0001 2 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Welcome to the fun that is pinball !

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

Welcome to the addiction

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from lincsled:

My wife has already sewed up a dust cover for me so that when I do get it running right it doesn't get filled with dust again.

You might want to get her started on a cover for your second pin (there is always a second pin, and a third ... )

#5 4 years ago

I already have two Pachinco machines and a video poker machine,my man cave is filling up! My arcade is set up in the kitchen of an old 14X70 mobile home,but it has to share space with my reloading gear,I just ripped out all the cabinets and the propane heater against one wall to make room for everything.
Beside this stuff I also collect WW2 material and I model in 1/6th scale,which takes up a lot of space as well,but it keeps me busy.

#6 4 years ago

Welcome.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

You might want to get her started on a cover for your second pin (there is always a second pin, and a third ... )

This. Get your wife onboard PRONTO and do not her wain

#8 4 years ago

Somebody did not like the outlanes or gap between the flippers! I’m working on a Little Chief right now also.

Enjoy the addiction!

#9 4 years ago

Welcome aboard EM matey!

Little Chief is a fun game for sure!

Enjoy!

#10 4 years ago

Remove the four white post all together. They do not belong anywhere on that playfield..

#11 4 years ago

The post I have circled also appears to be out to far. There should be a hole below the plastic for its proper placement. In its current position, it prevents you from shooting the ball back up to the top and hitting the rollovers.
7454BB6D-F5E4-4451-BF46-336AF9899509 (resized).jpeg7454BB6D-F5E4-4451-BF46-336AF9899509 (resized).jpeg

#12 4 years ago

You will find the replacement orange rollover here. http://www.pbresource.com/rollobut.htm

You may want to replace all five so they match. Plus, from sitting around so long, they are most likely all gummed up and not working properly.

8E130C69-A41C-4ABD-B294-28E359A03636 (resized).jpeg8E130C69-A41C-4ABD-B294-28E359A03636 (resized).jpeg
#13 4 years ago

Wonder if whoever added those posts improved their profit margin? Or totally stopped revenue stream as no one played it anymore...

#14 4 years ago

I have a rollover button and bushing on it's way. As things come back to life I'm finding a few more problems,the rollover button at the very top sits too high and causes the ball to make weird course corrections,not sure if the clip isn't all the way up or what.
Back when I got this machine it worked perfectly,I only ever had to replace one flipper solenoid,but after sitting idol for 20 plus years in the heat and cold there are a lot of little things,but slowly they are getting taken care of. The biggest problem is the score display isn't reseting,on the 2 and 3 player score display they keep cycling, and I'm not sure if it's in the base or in the back glass section which is causing the problem! Once I get them to reset it will work until I shut off the power,then it takes a bit to get it to reset. I did notice that the digit wheels are stiff in spots,not sure if they can be lubricated or not. Even though I have had this machine for a long time I have had to do anything until now,so any help or suggestions is always appreciated. Thanks

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from lincsled:

I recently moved my Little Chief machine into my man cave and decided it was time to get it running again! I bought this machine about 30 years ago and had it set up in my parents front room then in my own front room in the Bay area,but when we moved back to Northern Arizona we didn't have any room for it so it went into storage in a not so clean room in the barn,I moved it into a room in my man cave about 10 years ago but by then the super fine blow sand had gotten into everything and the rubbers had dried out and were falling apart.
So last week I got my set of rubbers and started blowing out the contacts and vacuuming all the dirt out,slowly it is coming back to life,the more I play it the more it's starting to function correctly,I still have some problem with the score resetting,it keeps running past zero,I find if I manually reset all the digits it reset more often. I going through all the play surface contacts cleaning and resetting the gaps,after two days of tinkering I think I have them all working.
When I got the rubber kit I found that there wasn't enough rings for all the single post,then I got looking online and realized someone added extra post,not sure who or when but it's been like this since I bought it,I have some extra rings coming to replace them.
My wife has already sewed up a dust cover for me so that when I do get it running right it doesn't get filled with dust again. The area I live in is horrible for super fine blow sand,it gets in everything,no matter how tight your building is!
Over the last week while working on this I kept seeing link to this website and figured I should join since I know I'm going to need help eventually.[quoted image]

Welcome!
Pinside is the absolute best online resource for pinball information. There are tons of pinheads on here that can help you. Ask away!

#16 4 years ago

Linc

Do a search on cleaning/rebuilding Gottlieb score reels. Lots of good info out there.

Welcome to the fun! Stay safe and wash hands often.

#18 4 years ago

Thanks Dasvis, that was exactly what I was looking for,there is just so much information on this site it's going to take me a while to find what I need!

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from lincsled:

The biggest problem is the score display isn't reseting,on the 2 and 3 player score display they keep cycling

I agree with @Billc479, reset issues on the score reels are almost always an issue of cleaning/adjusting the gaps on the contacts. Start with the score reel reset relays. Do you have a schematic/manual? If not, you can download a copy from the Internet Pinball Database here:

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=little+chief&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

#20 4 years ago

Thanks ReadyPO, I assumed something like that was was available somewheres! I spent a couple hours going over repair procedures last night so when I get out there today I should have a much better chance of clearing up the last of my problems!

#21 4 years ago

I spent all afternoon taking the score reels out and cleaning all the contacts and removed the solenoids and plungers until all the reels spun around when you manually activated the plunger,I adjusted the height on the top most rollover button,the spot that the clip was supposed to latch onto was wore down really bad,less then a 1/16th,I'm amazed I was able to get the clip off without breaking off the stem! I was able to shim it up so the clip grabbed all the way out on the end of the stem,I'm sure it will break soon so I'll get another one coming.
I also removed the extra post someone installed on the left side center,cleaned the play field and gave it a light coat of wax,put it all back together and fired it up and it worked great,until my last ball,then it wouldn't give me another game,it's set up for free play and usually I just press the red button up front,but now nothing! I tried to activate the coin counter and see if that would give me a game,I could hear the solenoid working for that but still no game,I even clean the contacts behind the button but nothing,I'm sure it's a contact set somewheres but I haven't found it yet!
I tried looking on the schematic that Readypo sent me the link for but it too small to read and my wife is making dinner so she can't help me expand it,I'm barely literate when it comes to computers!

#22 4 years ago

Open up the back box and turn the wheel that shows credits until you have a few games showing in the Backglass window, then try pushing start.

It’s possible you undid what someone had done to make the game free play.

#23 4 years ago

Thanks Bill, I tried to give it some credits and that didn't work,but I noticed there were a bunch of wire twisted together,I thought maybe I bumped them so I was retwisting them and one of them touched one of the contact switches and everything kicked in,so I played a quick game but it would give me anymore games,unless I hit the wire on the contact again,but then I started dropping items on the play field,the bumpers stopped working then the kick out hole stopped then the side bumper down by the flipper stopped,as one item died one of the other started working,very frustrating,I had all those working yesterday,I went through and adjusted and clean all the contacts so I assume this is all connected somehow!

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from lincsled:

...I tried looking on the schematic that Readypo sent me the link for but it's too small to read and my wife is making dinner so she can't help me expand it...

Hi lincsled, welcome to Pinside. You'll find that us EM guys are a friendly bunch.
As for the schematic you got off IPDB, you're right, they're usually too small and blurry to read.
I downloaded it as well and converted it to a large TIF for you. Much easier to read now. Its 144 megs. If you want it let me know.

I'd suggest that you run it through Photoshop and re-sample to a bigger size, and if you feel like it, you can even re-draw it. Massive job but that's what I'm doing with the schematic for my 1976 'Lady Luck' Recel pin at the moment. Looks beautiful when it's colour coded, lol. Plus I'm converting it to English as I go as some of it is in German. I'll have to enlist the help of a German speaking Pinsider to help me translate a block of it for me soon.
Have fun fixing up your Little Chief.

~ Mal ~

#25 4 years ago

Thanks Hyperball, My wife was able to enlarge it for me,but my brain just won't let me follow all that stuff!
I noticed today that when I open the playfield things start working,I know you aren't supposed to lift the play field when it's powered up but I started hearing a buzz that wasn't there before so I lifted the play field to see what was buzzing,of course it stopped when I got the top up and when I lowered it back down everything was working! I'm assuming there is a bad joint some wheres,maybe a bad solder joint or a dirty plug that is moving,I'll dig into it more tomorrow.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-member-12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.