(Topic ID: 343690)

New machine owner here! What else do I need?!

By the_lowering

10 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 months ago

Hello everyone,
I just bought my first machine (stern bond premium) and I can't wait for it to arrive! While I'm waiting for it, I'm wondering what else do I need to protect this baby?! I made a similar post on Facebook and so far I've been told to buy:

* Mylar/Shooting lane protector
* A Jetpack pin alignment corrector
* Bond girl loop plastic
* Mirror blades (for aesthetics?)

Is there anything else that I might need? Do I need all of these that were suggested to me?
Thanks in advance,
Tye

#2 10 months ago

Wax it up all purty before you play and maybe about every 100-150 plays and clean the rubbers up a little when you do that

#3 10 months ago

Hello back.

Congratulations on your first of many games.

Welcome to the fun. Post here if you have questions or need help.

LTG : )

#4 10 months ago

New balls to replace the ones coming from Stern

#5 10 months ago

Yup, throw the balls that come with the game straight into the garbage. Get some Novus 2 and CP100 for playfield cleaning. CP100 is great for cleaning rubbers as well. I'd suggest a soldering iron and a small roll of solder as youll have to resolder wires every once in a while. A basic set of tools like screwdrivers, nut drivers, etc will come in handy. I also change the flipper coil stop screws from the factory 5/16" head to allen head cap screws, as we have problems with the heads breaking on our route games. Likely not a problem in a home environment but figured I'd mention it. From the items you listed those are all good except for the mirror blades which are just aesthetics.

#6 10 months ago
Quoted from the_lowering:

* Mirror blades (for aesthetics?)

You'll never notice them whilst playing so what's the point. Put monies where they belong, in needed tools and pin #2 fund

#7 10 months ago

* Bond girl loop plastic

You'll find that here: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1492-the-electric-playground-/09064-bond-girl-upper-loop-fix-aka-bond-loop-lid

* A Jetpack pin alignment corrector

You'll find that here: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1282-rocket-city-pinball/08874-jetpack-pin-alignment-corrector-james-bond-007

I do have one other item designed to correct a Stern design flaw, the Multiplier Light Corrector. While it's not necessarily for 'protecting this baby', it does resolve an issue you can't un-see. It's found here: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1282-rocket-city-pinball/08777-multiplier-light-corrector-mod-james-bond-007

If you decide to dive into the cosmetic stuff, there are dozens of mods out there (including several of my own and many from several other excellent modders), you can peruse them all here: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops?gameid=3058

Congrats on the new game!

#9 10 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You'll never notice them whilst playing so what's the point. Put monies where they belong, in needed tools and pin #2 fund

I agree. Only mod out games you never plan on selling. Which will not be your first one for sure.

#10 10 months ago
Quoted from Wylte:

New balls to replace the ones coming from Stern

okay! Where is a good place to buy replacement balls? and just out of curiosity, what is the difference in the one's that are included?

#11 10 months ago

okay! Where is a good place to buy replacement balls? and just out of curiosity, what is the difference in the one's that are included?

The included balls either are not the highest quality, or at times are not the highest quality; better to just replace them.
Plenty of places to get balls. The rule is the super shiny ones don't work well in games with magnets, they get magnetized and screw things up. Magnets need a carbon ball usually.
Titan, Ball baron, pinball life etc

#12 10 months ago

I bought some on pinside from no gouge, but there are plenty of sellers. The problem with the stern ones is the coating will literally flake off after few plays. Gets your playfield dirtier faster and the balls look like shit quickly.

#13 10 months ago

Play your game for 30 days then come back and ask what you can buy/need.

#14 10 months ago

Another game

#15 10 months ago

Throw away your old furniture and buy more pins.

#16 10 months ago

Deeper pockets ... there never is just one !
Congratulations..
Hope it comes soon

#17 10 months ago

Don't buy stuff just because you're excited to own a pinball machine. Complete waste of money.
It's fun for a bit but in my opinion you don't even need to wax the playfield.
The shooter lane protectors are a wise move though.

#18 10 months ago

They breed like rabbits.
I wake up and there is a new pin in my garage.
It's crazy! The addiction real.

#19 10 months ago

Shaker Motor.

It's not that difficult to install yourself, I recommend getting the actual STERN shaker motor, though pinball life sells a perfectly fine replacement.

You'll be surprised the difference a shaker motor makes.

The next upgrade is anti-reflective glass. $250.00, but it makes quite a difference.

The cheaper than anti-reflective glass is to change adjustment 'Game play backbox brightness' to 5% instead of 100%. This is way at the end of the SPI adjustments (go backwards in the menu to find it). This makes the backbox dim down during gameplay and helps quite a bit with reflections on the glass.

I do like mirror blades...

Your slingshots, straight from the factory are usually VERY VERY active. Use a nut driver, take off the bottom nut on your slingshot plastic. Loosen the top nut (different sized nut driver). Rotate the slingshot plastic so that you can see clearly the leaf switches that activate the slingshot.

This gap should be NO LESS than the thickness of two dimes, the gap should be a bit more than 1/16 of an inch and less than 1/8 of an inch. You'll find these contacts very close together. I use a small flat bladed screwdriver, and shove it between the points. I gently bend the leaf switches apart. Then I usually have to bend them back together to get the right gap. This can take a couple of attempts to get 'dialed in'.

When the slingshots are very sensitive, you can't get control of the ball easily. Making them a bit more 'dead' helps with your high scores quite a bit.

You can test the sensitivity with the plastics still rotated out. A ball that gently rolls down the length of the sling shot should no longer activate, but when the ball hits the slingshot rubber with a bit of force the slingshot should still be active.

When you get it right, reassemble and tighten down the nuts.

#20 10 months ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

in my opinion you don't even need to wax the playfield.

I like smoking crack as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

€ 23.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin-Decals

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 385.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 425.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
King George, VA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ChainsawMods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
HurryUpPinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 59.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Print2pin

€ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin-Decals

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.