(Topic ID: 311592)

New Machine Arrived, Rodent Droppings & Urine In Cabinet - Now What?

By ShaffeTrain

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Oneangrymo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20220310-202031-419 (resized).png
PNG image (resized).png
0405EE1F-98CA-4925-80B4-78A0307A5F31 (resized).jpeg
20220310_145817 (resized).jpg
227fc51b0f055265deee7a66a3659bdac4f4abc3 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220310-163906_Gallery (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I just received an NBA Fastbreak from an out of state Pinsider today.

Despite it being advertised as "refurbed, shopped out, clean," with the "cabinet cleaned inside and out" what arrived what what you see in the pics. A collection of what look to be mouse droppings and bubbled up spots from urine inside the cab.

Aside from being disgusting and not what I expected based on the ad, I'm worried about health risks associated with the clean-up as I have a 1 year old always around the machines.

I've read to spray the droppings with a bleach solution before cleaning, but what to do about the bubbled urine spots? Anything I can do short of replacing the cabinet wood that would safely seal in the funk?

I'm no pee scientist but I do know that rat droppings are not good for your health for a variety of reasons and I want to be sure I do what is needed to be on the safe side here.

I'm also not one to ever make a mountain out of a mole hill when it comes to the condition of older machines but this is pretty egregious IMO. Also, should I ask for a partial refund or just chalk it up as a lesson learned?

Thanks for any advice.

Screenshot_20220310-163906_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220310-163906_Gallery (resized).jpg20220310_145817 (resized).jpg20220310_145817 (resized).jpg227fc51b0f055265deee7a66a3659bdac4f4abc3 (resized).jpg227fc51b0f055265deee7a66a3659bdac4f4abc3 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Shit in it and send it back...?

#3 2 years ago

Never buy a used machine if you're worried about the health risks, almost all of them have had mice in them. Stick to new ones and you don't have to worry about this.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

Never buy a used machine if you're worried about the health risks, almost all of them have had mice in them. Stick to new ones and you don't have to worry about this.

This is the 26th machine I've purchased in the last 24 months and the first to have had animal waste inside.

#5 2 years ago

No it's not, it's just the first you've noticed animal waste inside.

#6 2 years ago

I totally agree out of all the machines I have purchased over the years which were mostly all used and mostly routed machines I have had one that`s right one that had mice/rat feces and urine in it. It was a partyzone that I purchased at a roller rink that was kept in a shed outside next to a restaurant. That made sense...Not sure if the seller kept this machine in outside storage or what the issue was but I would be pissed if it was misrepresented as shopped cleaned inside and out.

Quoted from ShaffeTrain:

This is the 26th machine I've purchased in the last 24 months and the first to have had animal waste inside.

#8 2 years ago

Now if you were talking about cigarette smoke and tar stains on the machine I could get on board with seeing many machines come off location with that issue.

#9 2 years ago

Since only one has sold lately and the pics show the same speaker bolts, I'll assume it's this one:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/129839

Since the poop isn't visible in the pics, could that have happened in shipping?

#10 2 years ago

LOL - I've found two dead mice underneath the plastics on my old Xenon. Complete with decomposed gore stain.
Straight up Battery acid inside a cabinet along with damage it done.
Pack of cigarettes, Roaches both insect and nefarious kind.

Found a hundo once inside coin box with a couple rolls of quarters duct taped into con box on a game I got for
free and just had to get out of a garage.

Rat droppings, garbage, soda can, snake skin. Soda that must of been 20 years old that was just a bunch of goo.
More gum that any person need ever scrape off.

This is common stuff.. Think there is a whole thread on it.

#11 2 years ago

Oh yeah now what.. Vacuum it out with a shop vac. Consider yourself lucky not to have found dead mice or living ones.

The WORST thing that can happen.. TERMITES> That shit its bad news

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Since only one has sold lately and the pics show the same speaker bolts, I'll assume it's this one:

Everything else looks good on the game tbh

#13 2 years ago

Man I guess because I bought all my used machines over the years out of locations and viewed them prior to sale is maybe why I dodged a bunch of this stuff...Never bought old machines sight unseen or got a barn find. LOL

Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

LOL - I've found two dead mice underneath the plastics on my old Xenon. Complete with decomposed gore stain.
Straight up Battery acid inside a cabinet along with damage it done.
Pack of cigarettes, Roaches both insect and nefarious kind.
Found a hundo once inside coin box with a couple rolls of quarters duct taped into con box on a game I got for
free and just had to get out of a garage.
Rat droppings, garbage, soda can, snake skin. Soda that must of been 20 years old that was just a bunch of goo.
More gum that any person need ever scrape off.
This is common stuff.. Think there is a whole thread on it.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from awassig:

Man I guess because I bought all my used machines over the years out of locations and viewed them prior to sale is maybe why I dodged a bunch of this stuff...Never bought old machines sight unseen or got a barn find. LOL

These days most of the "Deals" are long gone and people paying to much for Pinball machines that haven't even been fully shopped, half working and not worth anything remotely what you paid.

If this was listed as Shopped, restored or something I'd raise an eyebrow but for most of us folks business as usual.

First thing I do when I get a new project or game is vacuum out the game and see what I might find inside. Usually couple fuses, tones of dust, wax residue, metallic shavings and all matter of bulbs. Once in awhile you find a part or two .

Search on Pinside bites.. Can't find the Thread on "Worst" thing you found in a game..

#15 2 years ago

I totally agree with this statement But click the link and read the seller details of the machine...thats why the OP is upset.

Rightfully so.

Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

These days most of the "Deals" are long gone and people paying to much for Pinball machines that haven't even been fully shopped, half working and not worth anything remotely what you paid.
If this was listed as Shopped, restored or something I'd raise an eyebrow but for most of us folks business as usual.
First thing I do when I get a new project or game is vacuum out the game and see what I might find inside. Usually couple fuses, tones of dust, wax residue, metallic shavings and all matter of bulbs. Once in awhile you find a part or two .
Search on Pinside bites.. Can't find the Thread on "Worst" thing you found in a game..

#16 2 years ago
0405EE1F-98CA-4925-80B4-78A0307A5F31 (resized).jpeg0405EE1F-98CA-4925-80B4-78A0307A5F31 (resized).jpeg
#17 2 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

I thought about that, but the machine was shrink wrapped and put into STIs truck...I doubt it.

Also, if you look at the inside cab pic in the ad you posted, you can see urine bubbling in the front left corner. So yeah..it was there but the poo was in the rear of the cab when the pics for the ad were taken, then got jostled around to be visible upon arrival.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

The droppings in the photo look pretty well dried out. They don't look like fresh droppings that would appear during a few days/weeks of transit.

Quoted from ShaffeTrain:

I've read to spray the droppings with a bleach solution before cleaning

Just keep in mind that they could have come from *anywhere* in the machine before it was tipped up on end for shipping. The reason you're seeing them all piled up in the back is because that's where they fell.

Official CDC guidelines for clean-up: https://www.cdc.gov/rodents/cleaning/index.html

Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

almost all of them have had mice in them.

I disagree. I'm a project game hunter, and I've only seen mouse droppings in a small handful of games--usually just the ones that were neglected and forgotten and stored in garages, warehouses, etc.

I've never seen droppings in games that were kept in homes, or in games that were shopped/restored.

If I had to guess, maybe this was a quick fix & flip?

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Doubt it… the cabinet shows swelling in the exact same spots. That being said, if the OP of this post purchased this machine from the seller on here (just assuming, not saying he did) the seller marked it “not sold on Pinside”…. So there may be a pattern of character behaviors here.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Doubt it… the cabinet shows swelling in the exact same spots. That being said, if the OP of this post purchased this machine from the seller on here (just assuming, not saying he did) the seller marked it “not sold on Pinside”…. So there may be a pattern of character behaviors here.

You're not wrong and I noticed that sale tag also

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from ShaffeTrain:

You're not wrong and I noticed that sale tag also

You may want to PM Robin on here to let him know the sale was via Pinside.

As far as recourse goes, this looks like old damage. I would just vacuum it out and call it a day. I would also leave appropriate feedback for the seller to let others know what they may expect dealing with him.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

That being said, if the OP of this post purchased this machine from the seller on here (just assuming, not saying he did) the seller marked it “not sold on Pinside”…. So there may be a pattern of character behaviors here.

Buyer just confirmed that's the one. So yeah, he's a douchebag. Didn't pay my selling fees and lied.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Seller just confirmed that's the one. So yeah, he's a douchebag. Didn't pay my selling fees and lied.

The seller may need those fees for an exterminator. If you look at his pics, those white droppings are on his floor, and the rats are so hungry they are eating his baseboard trim….. LOLOL

PNG image (resized).pngPNG image (resized).png
#24 2 years ago

This happens often. I’ve seen games “professionally restored” and games “fully shopped” by pinsiders and still find mouse droppings in them. Sometimes it feels like people just don’t care.
I’ve never let it bother me. Pinball machines are perfect shelters for mice. Recently saw a machine that was in great shape, stored for just a couple months and already had a mouse nest! They work very fast.

If mouse droppings and urine bother you, NEVER EAT OUT AT A RESTAURANT. Believe whatever you want. I’ve worked in all manner of places. Every single one has mice. And they get in everything, even the coolers.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

The seller may need those fees for an exterminator. If you look at his pics, those white droppings are on his floor, and the rats are so hungry they are eating his baseboard trim….. LOLOL[quoted image]

OMG Good catch and I can't believe that

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've never seen droppings in games that were kept in homes,

A friend of mine rolled on a desirable game. Bought new. Been in the home for many years. Game powered partially up.

My friend wanted to open it up. The seller didn't know you could remove the lockdown bar and glass.

When he started to lift the playfield mice started hopping out. He dropped the playfield. And left.

LTG : )

#27 2 years ago

Damn burn that house down

Quoted from LTG:

A friend of mine rolled on a desirable game. Bought new. Been in the home for many years. Game powered partially up.
My friend wanted to open it up. The seller didn't know you could remove the lockdown bar and glass.
When he started to lift the playfield mice started hopping out. He dropped the playfield. And left.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Screenshot_20220310-202031-419 (resized).pngScreenshot_20220310-202031-419 (resized).png
#29 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

It was probably a Mousin' Around, totally fine.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

You may want to PM Robin on here to let him know the sale was via Pinside.
As far as recourse goes, this looks like old damage. I would just vacuum it out and call it a day. I would also leave appropriate feedback for the seller to let others know what they may expect dealing with him.

Yeah I’d agree. Really not a big deal and you don’t have to call in a hazmat team. Just vacuum it with a shop vac and clean any areas you are freaked out about with some mean green or something.

It sucks, and I'd be pretty pissed (especially if I paid anywhere near $5K for that thing and how it was advertised), but it’s not the end of the world as long as there’s no chewed wires or any recent / current activity.

#31 2 years ago

if your going to clean it yourself, I would highly recommend wearing goggles and a mask. Rat/mice feces/urine etc can carry some weird ass viruses. No need to go there and catch something weird.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Robbinsville, NJ
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-machine-arrived-rodent-droppings-amp-urine-in-cabinet-now-what?hl=shaffetrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.