Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by monkeyboypaul
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 20 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20151013_172641.jpg
photo 4-143.JPG
photo 5-49.JPG
photo 4(1)-734.JPG
photo 3-556.JPG
photo 2-28.JPG
photo 3(1)-43.JPG
photo 2(3).JPG
photo 1-179.JPG
photo 1(1)-221.JPG
photo 4(5).JPG
photo 3(3).JPG
photo 3(4)-499.JPG
photo 2(6)-298.JPG
photo 1(4)-904.JPG
photo 1(5)-814.JPG

#1 5 years ago

Developing some new LOTR mods. They're coming out awesome. Here's a sneak peak of a few prototypes.

First is a lighted Balrog whip that ties to the balrog flasher. It's a 3 wire whip using 2 different el sizes and 2 different colors to create a fire look. The wires are braided together with 2 long tails at the end. It Looks awesome and goes excellent with the game.

Second is our new LOTR apron mod with lighting. The lighting includes our "straight down the middle" lighting to illuminate the area between the flippers as well as lighted gold inserts. The inserts are mirror gold with an eye etched into each. The lighting is interactive with game play and the effect is awesome. Installation is also plug and play. Will be offering the aprons in a factory Stern crinkle black finish as well as gloss black with gold metallic flake and a clear coat which can be purchased as apron only or as part of a full armor package. The apron in the video is Not powdered and just raw metal to show the effect. Will update with pics of std black and the upgrade black/gold metallic next week

Here's some video. Pics are coming soon. Will have both up on the website and available late next week at www.pinballrefinery.com

#2 5 years ago

Awesome

#3 5 years ago

looks great as usual Gio...count me in for the whip!

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

looks great as usual Gio...count me in for the whip!

Thanks. Really happy with how it Came out. Super bright and it fits the game perfectly. The pulsing lighting in the Balrog really looks cool on the whip.

#5 5 years ago

Very nice, very nice indeed!

#6 5 years ago

Gio. I'll be in on the whole package. Full armor set topped off with a whip, if you still dare to send to Norway, that is

This will go perfect with my LOTR restoration

#7 5 years ago

Looks great guys!

#8 5 years ago

Hmmmmmm.. Having never seen the movies or read the books, is the balrog supposed to have a whip? LOL

I like the Apron though.

Chris

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Hmmmmmm.. Having never seen the movies or read the books, is the balrog supposed to have a whip? LOL
I like the Apron though.
Chris

I thought that too. Wasn't his 'whip' actually his tail?

#10 5 years ago

Great idea on the whip and great work. Just when I thought I was done modding my LOTR.

2014-06-28-08-44-18--674521888.jpeg
#11 5 years ago

He

Quoted from SilverUnicorn:Hmmmmmm.. Having never seen the movies or read the books, is the balrog supposed to have a whip? LOL
I like the Apron though.
Chris

He uses a whip in the movie

image-999.jpg image-514.jpg
#12 5 years ago

Ooohhhh yeah, I'll go for a whip!

Would overseas shipping be astronomical for the apron assembly?

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Ooohhhh yeah, I'll go for a whip!
Would overseas shipping be astronomical for the apron assembly?

Armor gets really expensive. Just an apron is about $30-40

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I like the Apron though.
Chris

If you've never read the books or seen the movies why on earth would you question anything about the characters?
LOL

Yes, the Balrog has always had a whip in every version of the story. This whip mod fits right in and looks great.

#16 5 years ago

LOTR whip will be $80 plus shipping. The apron will be $250ish

#17 5 years ago

Pics

Tried to get some shots of the brightening and dimming effect. Both the apron and the balrog whip are interactive with game play and have a fading effect. The apron is tied to 2 different circuits that brighten and dim and uses different colors for both circuits.

PLEASE NOTE THE APRON IS A PROTOTYPE AND DOES NOT YET SHOW THE POWDERCOAT COLOR. THE VIDEO SHOWS A RAW FINISH ONLY. THE APRON WILL BE AVAILABLE IN STADNARD CRINKLE BLACK AND GLOSS BLACK WITH GOLD METALLIC. MATCHING ARMOR WILL ALSO BE AVAILABLE.

Both mods will be available on the website at www.pinballrefinery.com

photo 1(3)-359.JPG
photo 1(4)-904.JPG
photo 1(5)-814.JPG
photo 2(6)-298.JPG
photo 3(3).JPG
photo 3(4)-499.JPG
photo 4(5).JPG
photo 1(1)-221.JPG
photo 1-179.JPG
photo 2(3).JPG
photo 2-28.JPG
photo 3(1)-43.JPG
photo 3-556.JPG
photo 4(1)-734.JPG
photo 4-143.JPG
photo 5-49.JPG

#18 5 years ago

I'm in for a whip and apron.

#19 5 years ago

Love the apron! Want the whole armor. Not sold on the whips yet, maybe once I see it in person.

#20 5 years ago

Oh im in for the Apron for sure and maybe a whip, I thought my LotR was done being modded but I guess not lol.

Joe(acejedi)

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

Love the apron! Want the whole armor. Not sold on the whips yet, maybe once I see it in person.

I'll have them at CAX. It's awesome.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Zdoor:

I'll have them at CAX. It's awesome.

Wow amazing as usual! Can't wait to see all you stuff in person again!

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

how is the whip attached to the hand ?

Final mod will show 2 methods. 1 zip tied to hand and one run through figure. Will be users option and comfort level for installation

#25 5 years ago

I Love LEDs, but way too many colors there for me. Whip doesn't look super great, but apron seems cool. Neither are my style though. Good luck!

1 week later
#26 5 years ago

The whip looks great! Is it adjustable to bend where or how you want it or is it rigid and fixed in position?

#27 5 years ago

The wire is bendable and will hold its shape. Finishing up instructions now. Will be on the site soon.

Gio

#28 5 years ago

Really like the balrog. If I get a lotr I would have to own this mod.

Very nice work as always GIO.

GLWS

1 month later
#29 5 years ago

These are on the site now.

Instructions for Balrog show 2 installation options. The first is a simple option to zip tie the wiring to Balrogs arm. The second is a more time consuming option but produces the best result. It runs wiring through the Balrog figure and requires removing the figure to install. Connections on the whip are simple plug and play at the Balrog connection.

Aprons are also ready and will be running more. Apron is interactive with Balrog and the Ringwaraiths. It also features our Straight down the middle lighting which illuminates the area between the flippers adding additional lighting effects to a drab part of the game. Aprons can be ordered in a standard Crinkle black finish or Metallic Black with Gold that fits the game very well. The matching armor will be on the site in the next week.

1 month later
#30 5 years ago

Bumping. Aprons and whips Back in stock

1 week later
9 months later
#32 4 years ago

Are you doing any more whips? I should have grabbed one before.

#33 4 years ago

I would like an Apron and a Whip.

2 months later
#34 4 years ago

Potd the modfather just made for me. Very happy thanks a ton.

20151013_172641.jpg

#35 4 years ago

When I first saw this thread and whip mod title, I thought what? but then saw a 1 year old thread...I was about to say, I just bought a LOTR that has this mod in it. This isn't new....

Quoted from Schabs81:

Potd the modfather just made for me. Very happy thanks a ton.

Now that's sweet!

The seller I bought mine threw is a CHEAPSKATE! let see how long it take him to respond?

#36 4 years ago

Only a true tool would make a comment like that....must be from Arkansas...they seem to lie alot

#38 4 years ago

Ding Ding Ding what do we have from the loser in Bossier City Bob?
Oh your right the guy in Arkansas does lie...I said it would be a WOZ Green powder coat but looks like your box
of WOZ parts are now WOZ pink...Oh by the way, when you pick-up your parts please bring my LOTR's....
Working please! Don't cut the wiring harness to put the lid down
You know I like you wife better than I do you! She's not as mean as you

#39 4 years ago

I am waiting on some parts, but will be making more Balrog whips soon. PM me if interested.

#40 4 years ago

I also have a unique flasher mod for sale that back illuminates the tower in the upper right corner when it shakes.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

I also have a unique flasher mod for sale that back illuminates the tower in the upper right corner when it shakes.

Ah damn I wish you would have told me that. I would have bought both at once

4 months later
#42 3 years ago

Quick question... in the video, the body of the Balrog lights up as well... is this a function of adding the whip or some other mod?

#43 3 years ago

The flasher in the Balrog body is stock from the factory.

#44 3 years ago

Yeah I pulled the little Red Guy apart and found the flasher... burnt out... not sure how long, cause I don't recall it ever working. Whip Kit is in, so will put it all back together this weekend... provided I can find a replacement for the long skinny bolt/screw that I broke

1 week later
#45 3 years ago

I just built another six of Balrog whips....Just waiting on one more part to come in (this time I ordered extras). If you are would like to get in one on of these, send me a PM. They are $60 US/$65 CA (includes shipping). This is my own design and I am not affiliated with The Pinball Refinery (they make great mods though, so check them out). This mod, once installed looks like it was factory installed and really makes the Balrog toy pop, especially during FOTR multiball & bash Balrog mode.

#46 3 years ago

I purchased and installed the Balrog whip. It looks great and and makes the Balrog "complete".
Installation of the whip itself was very easy, however allow for extra time for reassembling the Balrog. It is a PITA.

#47 3 years ago

Any chance of getting an apron or is the run finished

2 months later
#48 3 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

I am waiting on some parts, but will be making more Balrog whips soon. PM me if interested.

I'm interested - have PM'd you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
Machine - For Sale
Sarasota, FL
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 1,000.00
Machine - For Sale
Plymouth, MN
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 11.95
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 41.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Sale Pending!
Gardner, MA
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside