2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by EMsInKC
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Lock Relay Fix Parts (resized).jpg
    Lock Relay Buzz Fix Wiring (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Success! The 60Hz power line lock relay buzz noise was driving me crazy on my Jubilee I tried everything suggested in forums and pinrepair. I figured the only real solution to make it 100% quiet was to convert coil to DC. So I made a small rectifier circuit to drive relay and eliminate buzzing. So for a few dollars the humming is completely eliminated. The machine had 28VAC to drive coils and I measured 37.5mA dissipating near 1 Watt of power. The coil measured 20 Ohms but DC resistance is much different than AC impedance so a large current limiting resistor was going to be required. The best standard value I could find was a 820 Ohm, 5 Watt resistor. This limited the current to 42 mA with relay activated. Unfortunately I could not get the relay to energize on it's own so I then added a 330uF 50V capacitor across resistor. This gave the relay the initial jolt it needed to fully activate.
    The 28VAC measured 36VDC after rectification and filtering. If you have a newer EM with higher solenoid voltage you will need a higher voltage rated capacitor.
    Here are photos of fix:

UPDATE: While playing the game reset sometimes when solenoids and flipper were active (maybe cold solder joint?). I modified parts to have resistor be 750 Ohms and filter capacitor across bridge +/- to be 1000uF 50V. Now game is 100% reliable. Hope this helps anyone with same annoying issue.

Lock Relay Buzz Fix Wiring (resized).jpgLock Relay Buzz Fix Wiring (resized).jpgLock Relay Fix Parts (resized).jpgLock Relay Fix Parts (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

If it bothered you that much you could have just clipped a lead and permanently closed the relay
    It won't tilt but that's all.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-lock-relay-hum-fix-dead-silent and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.