Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 117 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Da-Shaker
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KIMG1785 (resized).JPG
    8280 (resized).jpeg
    KIMG1773 (resized).JPG
    KIMG1772 (resized).JPG
    7866 (resized).jpeg
    afmsemachine (resized).jpg
    63431_01 (resized).jpg
    5783 (resized).jpeg
    5784 (resized).jpeg
    thumbnail-6 copy 2 (resized).jpeg
    15454322805781014348945 (resized).jpg
    1E430E5E-CA8B-4422-A69B-01897BE71F54 (resized).jpeg
    KIMG1233 (resized).JPG
    KIMG1221 (resized).JPG
    KIMG1216 (resized).JPG
    14512 (resized).jpeg
    There are 117 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

Hey everybody,
    I'm on the edge of starting a new pinball machine location in Grass Valley, CA. I'll be establishing it inside Sierra Cinema off of E. Main st. There's a side bar and food with no entrance fees to the side of the theater. I want to add top quality pinball machines and I'm wondering if there's any Pinheads close by that might come. I'll be immediately putting in a Star Wars Pro (maybe premium), Metallica led, Star Trek pro led and a Fire Power II. I'll​ be keeping these machines cleaned and waxed. Before I bite the bullet, is there anyone around that would come. Lol

#2 6 years ago

I get up there sometimes for work, so I am sure I'll check it out!

#3 6 years ago

Good to hear Gun, thank you for your response. I'd like to add more machines, but I think I should take it slow for now and see how the first year goes.

#4 6 years ago

I'm also debating on setting everything to 5 ball. I'd like to hear how people feel about that.

#6 6 years ago

ST Pro all led will be put into our new location next week.
    SW Premium on order, 3 week eta
    Trying to get our Iron Man all led back
    Fire Power II- couple weeks
    I have my old 1963 Sweet Hearts, but I'm not sure if I should incorporate it. It probably belongs in a glass box.

Possibilities of MET, LOTR and TSPP

Sierra Cinemas
    840-C East Main Street
    Grass Valley, CA 95945
    (530) 477-9000.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I'm also debating on setting everything to 5 ball. I'd like to hear how people feel about that.

Never.

#8 6 years ago

Agreed. Less money for you. More wear on the pins. Don't do that. For EMs maybe.

#9 6 years ago

Really,
    Ok good to know. I always feel like I'm just getting into the game when that 3rd. ball sinks. My skill level isn't that great I guess.

3 weeks later
    #10 6 years ago

Just introduced ST & IM into the theater. People already playing them

KIMG0515 (resized).JPGKIMG0515 (resized).JPG

KIMG0516 (resized).JPGKIMG0516 (resized).JPG

KIMG0517 (resized).JPGKIMG0517 (resized).JPG

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Really,
    Ok good to know. I always feel like I'm just getting into the game when that 3rd. ball sinks. My skill level isn't that great I guess.

Better off making ball save time more liberal than giving more balls.

2 months later
    #12 6 years ago

Added X-Men
    Came with Wolverine character removed and ball switch added. New characters on the playfield, LED's and speaker lights.

23826343_1969472049797179_5222061769641814419_o (resized).jpg23826343_1969472049797179_5222061769641814419_o (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago

I'm thinking of adding LOTR, to keep the movie theme going. Any other suggestions for a theater? Maybe Spiderman?

#14 6 years ago

7006 (resized).jpeg7006 (resized).jpeg

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I'm thinking of adding LOTR, to keep the movie theme going. Any other suggestions for a theater? Maybe Spiderman?

South Park will earn. Put one there.

#16 6 years ago

There will be a FREE PLAY pinball night Wednesday, Dec 13th from 8-10. Full Bar and food. Bring some competition
    Sierra Cinema
    840 E Main St Ste C, Grass Valley, CA 95945

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

There will be a FREE PLAY pinball night Wednesday, Dec 13th from 8-10. Full Bar and food. Bring some competition
    Sierra Cinema
    840 E Main St Ste C, Grass Valley, CA 95945

Ohhh...my birthday! Wonder if the gf will let me out to play.

#18 6 years ago

Hope to see you there! I just got sent to S. CA for Wildland fires. I hope I'll be back by then. There's a possibility it could be postponed. More to come as we get closer to the date

#19 6 years ago

Pinball night Dec. 13th. Is officially cancelled. I'm still in S. CA on fires. Sorry, we'll make a new night soon.

1 month later
    #20 6 years ago

Trying to establish another Free pinball poker night.

KIMG0719 (resized).JPGKIMG0719 (resized).JPG

KIMG0718 (resized).JPGKIMG0718 (resized).JPG

4 weeks later
    #21 6 years ago

More machines and pinball nights can't go wrong with medieval maddness

#22 6 years ago

I enjoy 1980 to 85 games firepower 2 would be sweet I have the first firepower and gorgar

#23 6 years ago

I have a nice Gorgar too, but the owners are worried it'll scare the kiddies. . I was thinking of adding my Firepower II, but it's a little beat up to be honest. We were also thinking of adding an old 80s arcade game, possibly Defender.
    The theater is pretty nice and the machines are in the attached cafe. You can buy beer and food. Also, there's no entry fee. If you stop by, let me know what you think.

#24 6 years ago

We're having another Free play pinball night coming in March. I'll have a set date by next week.

#25 6 years ago

Yah, I'd make a trip up there for that (and a movie.) Let me know the date.

1 month later
    #26 6 years ago

Would you be intrested in opening a,pinball bar I'm a local,chef and,was thinking about opening a pinball appetizer bar. I'm looking for there perfect location.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chronictalent:

Would you be intrested in opening a,pinball bar

I am considering opening one myself.

It would be called "The Lard House" as our specialty would be food cooked in real 100% pure lard!

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chronictalent:

Would you be intrested in opening a,pinball bar I'm a local,chef and,was thinking about opening a pinball appetizer bar. I'm looking for there perfect location.

You supply the beer and I'll supply the pins! I have an opportunity to open a small arcade next to the Del Oro theater on main Street. Corner lot, 1000.00 per month

#29 6 years ago

Is it where Pete's used to be? We should meet up,and talk asap I think in downtown we would kill it.

#30 6 years ago

I could supply all local beer and,I no the main guy at lost cost lets get together I just need to look into all,the permits

5 months later
    #31 5 years ago

Looks like we might put a 4th. machine in Sierra Cinema. I'm debating on Iron Maiden vs Deadpool. What do you think?

DP-Pro-Cabinet-LF (resized).jpgDP-Pro-Cabinet-LF (resized).jpgthumbnail (resized).jpegthumbnail (resized).jpeg
    #32 5 years ago

I've played both machines, and my choice would be Deadpool. I know some may disagree, but it fits the theme of your business a bit better than Iron Maiden. I think both games will have staying power -- IM is obviously the more complete game right now, but it's a difficult game to master. DP is a little more accessible to casual players as the codes stand now, IMO. Also (and not for nothing), there are three other businesses with an IM on location in the area and no one has a DP as yet. I know I've traveled to a specific location just to try a specific machine -- I'm not saying that's normal (it isn't), but it's another factor to consider.

I really need to get up to Grass Valley

Good luck!

#33 5 years ago

Thanks Jerol, I agree with you that it'll fit the theme better. However, I'm struggling a little bit because I love IMDN. It's pretty much my favorite game and I don't care for the band. I enjoy the playfield. The pinball machines are located in a café that is relatively quite. So, the Iron Maiden music would have to be turned down low and some people may not like listening to it. I'm happy to hear from someone who has actually played DP, because I'm still trying to figure out how good this game will be. It'll be my first NIB and I don't want it to end up being a flop. Not many people have rated DP yet on the top 100, but it's sitting at top 8 I believe and IMDN is at #3.

#34 5 years ago

Additionally, if I get IMDN, I was thinking of installing headphones. I'm not sure if you can install a headphone jack and a bill collector on the same machine. I think they attach in the same location on the door.

#35 5 years ago

so how are these pins earning?

#36 5 years ago

If it were me I would encorporate other manufacturers. Maybe TNA, The Jetsons, etc. Some people are more drawn to cute themed simple games then crazy rule sets etc.
    My SMB gets the most play when we have parties and there is a STTNG next to it.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

so how are these pins earning?

It's been relatively slow. The machines have gained a lot of interest in the last few months. People are finding out that the machines are well maintained, cleaned and waxed. The other locations in Grass Valley that have pinball machines are never fixed, cleaned or aren't even running. My friends and I just wanted a place to play and that's the only reason I placed the machines in the Cinema.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Thanks Jerol, I agree with you that it'll fit the theme better. However, I'm struggling a little bit because I love IMDN. It's pretty much my favorite game and I don't care for the band. I enjoy the playfield. The pinball machines are located in a café that is relatively quite. So, the Iron Maiden music would have to be turned down low and some people may not like listening to it. I'm happy to hear from someone who has actually played DP, because I'm still trying to figure out how good this game will be. It'll be my first NIB and I don't want it to end up being a flop. Not many people have rated DP yet on the top 100, but it's sitting at top 8 I believe and IMDN is at #3.

I totally understand this point of view. IM is a proven game and there is debate as to how well that katana ramp shot on DP will hold up -- especially on location. Either way I think you'll probably be happy with the purchase. BTW, major props for putting pins in a business just so you and your friends had a place to play

Is going with something like a JJP machine out of the question? Dialed In is pretty great and I think it also has staying power. Also, they obviously have some pretty cool movie-based themes going in their other three offerings. . I've played TNA... Fast game, fun multiplayer, but not a ton of depth there, IMO.

#39 5 years ago

I kind of want to stick to Stern, because I know how to work on them and they seem pretty reliable. Stern machines for the most part are cheaper and get more bang for your buck. I've thought about TNA, but I question the last ability.

If I could add headphones and a bill collector on the same machine, I'd probably go with IMDN. The other IMDN's available in the area are still a bit of a drive to get there.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I kind of want to stick to Stern, because I know how to work on them and they seem pretty reliable. Stern machines for the most part are cheaper and get more bang for your buck. I've thought about TNA, but I question the last ability.
    If I could add headphones and a bill collector on the same machine, I'd probably go with IMDN. The other IMDN's available in the area are still a bit of a drive to get there.

Understood, I do find that many non pin people seem to be intimidated stepping up to more elaborate pins. Seeing as how you are gearing more for a place to hang for your pin friends I get it, but I still think you might get some more interest from mom and the kids with a step down in pace. If space is not an isuue maybe grab a cheap Hook or the like.... I know the game is lame but you get what I am saying.

#41 5 years ago

I have a few older games that I could put in the space, but I want to keep machines that are less than 10 years old in the theater. Keep it fresh and exciting. Somebody mentioned AFM remake. I think that definitely has lastability and attracks old and young. I haven't heard many problems with it. The last one I played seemed super smooth and my son loves it.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I have a few older games that I could put in the space, but I want to keep machines that are less than 10 years old in the theater. Keep it fresh and exciting. Somebody mentioned AFM remake. I think that definitely has lastability and attracks old and young. I haven't heard many problems with it. The last one I played seemed super smooth and my son loves it.

The AFM remake is a fantastic pin. I like it better than the MMr -- just a personal opinion there. I'm sure the MB remake will also be a great pin as well. Can't go wrong with any of the Chicago Gaming machines IMO.

#43 5 years ago

DEADPOOL ON ORDER!! Arrives in 4-7 business days.

BOOM!!!!

#44 5 years ago
    Unknown (resized).jpegUnknown (resized).jpeg
    #45 5 years ago

Awesome! Tell me when it's accepting coins. Pro or ?

(I can't believe I still have to drive all the way into the Bay area to find one.)

#46 5 years ago

I don't have a date yet, but I'm hoping next week. Maybe Tue. or Wed. This will be my first NIB. Now we'll have 4 machines at the theater.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

DEADPOOL ON ORDER!! Arrives in 4-7 business days.
    BOOM!!!!

Awesome news! My LE is scheduled to arrive next week on Wednesday -- from Pinball Pirate

I need to get up to Grass Valley and see your place. I haven't played Iron Man and I think you're the only place in the area with one on location -- looks fun.

Congratulations on your purchase.

#49 5 years ago

I like Flo and I think those 3 machines have the best Flo ever. I can't think of a better combo. X-Men turned out awesome with cool shots, but you can't beat the speed of a good waxed Iron Man. Additionally Star Trek is my favorite machine and I have nothing else to say about that.

#50 5 years ago

I made it up to your place briefly yesterday (9/20). Great machines that play really fast and well. I noticed a spot to the right of X-Men just begging for fourth pin

Really odd playing pins set to 5-ball play... I have not played a single five ball game since I got back into the hobby in May. I didn't get to stay long -- only played 3 games on Iron Man and one on Star Trek. On IM it looked like you had an Extra Ball award at a certain score (41 million?) and no Replay score. Is that how you set them up? It felt a little odd as on IM I got to Mark VI on ball 5 -- a 3-ball game would have been very average.

I enjoyed seeing your setup and will definitely be back.

There are 117 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-location-in-grass-valley-ca-any-interest and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.