Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3168.JPG
IMG_3165.JPG
#1 9 years ago

After a steady downward spiral for the pinball situation at Press Play over the last two years, last night we opened a new dedicated pinball room (hidden way in the back). The old operator is out, and the new lineup is a mixture of games owned by me and Kim (of Pinball Jones in Fort Collins). I updated the pinball map, and will continue to keep it up to date. Our starting lineup:

Evel Knievel
Attack From Mars
Addams Family
Lord of the Rings
Fish Tales
Simpsons Pinball Party
Scared Stiff
Star Trek
The Walking Dead
Spider-Man

Monthly tournaments are scheduled for the first Wednesday of the month, and I'm working on building up interest in a Boulder league (that would likely occasionally travel to other venues).

As a player who used to *love* playing at Press Play, but had since abandoned it entirely due to the condition of the pins under the old operator - I'm SO excited to have a great place to play in Boulder again. Keeping the pins in great playing condition is my top priority, so please pm me if there are any issues.

If (like me) you've been telling people not to support pinball at Press Play, it's time to go back and enjoy nice playing pins again in Boulder! I'll add some pics in the next day or two.

#2 9 years ago

Great! I was just there about a week ago and was disappointed in the games. Looks like a nice lineup!

#3 9 years ago

I'll have to make a trip up.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from rad:

Great! I was just there about a week ago and was disappointed in the games. Looks like a nice lineup!

Yeah - it's day and night. Last time I tried to play there it was: Sea Witch, LOTR (with misaligned flippers), Avengers, and Spiderman (which was registering a doc ock hit with every flipper flip).

#5 9 years ago

Congrats!!! I suggest NOT doing the freeplay days like they used to do. I was out to visit my bro a few times and it happened to coincide with the Freeplay days they used to do. My main observation from those events is that most of the people there would ONLY come when games were on free, played as quick as they could through the credits, beat on the game, did not buy drinks, and left as soon as the free games were all burned up.

A monthly league is a great idea IME!

Good luck in the new aspect of the hobby!

#6 9 years ago

Very cool! Will definitely plan on making it up from Denver sometime soon to check this out.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Congrats!!! I suggest NOT doing the freeplay days like they used to do. I was out to visit my bro a few times and it happened to coincide with the Freeplay days they used to do. My main observation from those events is that most of the people there would ONLY come when games were on free, played as quick as they could through the credits, beat on the game, did not buy drinks, and left as soon as the free games were all burned up.
A monthly league is a great idea IME!
Good luck in the new aspect of the hobby!

Thanks for the advice. Press Play wants to do free pinball, and I want to want to do it - but everyone has been advising against it. In some ways it seems like the free play nights they ran previous was the beginning of the end of pinball there - the machines got played hard and maintenance wasn't keeping up.

Maybe there is a happy medium...do it a few times at the beginning to get the word out, and then transition into something else (leagues, tourneys, etc)?

#8 9 years ago

Basically, I'm up for anything that, in the long term, will grow the base of players (who are willing to play).

#9 9 years ago

Depends on your split but there is no good outcome from an OP perspective to providing free play times IMHO.

It causes the sort of crowd you don't want to show up to actually come and beat on games harder than they normally would. From what I saw those same people were not spending much on drinks so the bar was not making much off of them.

I would suggest a monthly tournemant and everyone pays to play as normal. Maybe at the end of each year offer a free play party for all players that have come and supported at least X times during the year?

#10 9 years ago

Great to hear. What's the address? Hours?

Going to be spending time in Boulder I guess...

#11 9 years ago

Hi jfh, it seems to be at 1005 Pearl Street, Boulder.
http://www.pressplaybar.com/
Or N40 01.053 W105 16.934 if you're a gps guy like me.
That sound about right Ryan? and I too am looking forward to getting up there sometime to play.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Hyperball91:

Hi jfh, it seems to be at 1005 Pearl Street, Boulder.
http://www.pressplaybar.com/
Or N40 01.053 W105 16.934 if you're a gps guy like me.
That sound about right Ryan? and I too am looking forward to getting up there sometime to play.

Yep, that's right.

It's at 10th & Pearl, underneath Pasta Jay's. Hope you guys make it out!

Open 7 days a week.

Weekdays 4pm - 2am.
Weekends 12pm - 2am.

People under 21 are allowed but only up until 7pm.

#13 9 years ago

Cool, I hope I can get up there soon. I met Kim at RMPS back in April, really nice lady. I hope you 2 do well with your machines there. Cheers, Mal

#14 9 years ago

Hey the fact that the games are going to be better maintained is good news for sure. I liked the location but I got tired of the $1 per game vs. half that at places like Backcountry Pizza and the 1Up. I'll definitely be dropping by during the week.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

Hey the fact that the games are going to be better maintained is good news for sure. I liked the location but I got tired of the $1 per game vs. half that at places like Backcountry Pizza and the 1Up. I'll definitely be dropping by during the week.

Cool - please do! Everything is 50 or 75 cents at the moment.

#16 9 years ago

I don't think free play on location is ever a good idea.

#17 9 years ago

Best of luck to you guys. Hope the transition went relatively smooth.

Quoted from ryanwanger:

Cool - please do! Everything is 50 or 75 cents at the moment.

At those prices, if you keep them clean and working, you don't need to give any games away. I'll give broke looking kids a free game or two after cleaning now and then, but reasonable pricing and good maintenance sells itself.

#18 9 years ago

Huzzah for cell phone pics taken in a dark barroom!

IMG_3165.JPGIMG_3165.JPG IMG_3168.JPGIMG_3168.JPG
#19 9 years ago

I talked to Kim once on the phone.

#20 9 years ago

Sweet! First time I went to press play they just got MET pro and really had a great line up. Then it went downhill and the line up got weaker and weaker until I stopped going. Good reason to go back now, good luck and I'll definitely stop by.

#21 9 years ago

Glad to hear it. I've been there twice in the past two months, and the third time simply decided to walk right by due to the pin condition and selection. Looks like I'll be making an extra effort to get there now.

#22 9 years ago

I agree with Whysnow, free play several times a month just isn't worth it for an op at all. I do run several leagues out of my location and do a free play party on our tournament night. Until ops get a % of bar sales on free play nights, id really thing about doing something else like starting a league.

Location looks great!

#23 9 years ago

Hooray! Kim Jones Rocks!
I hope I get a chance to hang out there next year before the big Dory Hill event! Fort Collins is a pinball holiday destination! It takes a whole day to check everything out!
Including a few noteworthy places that don't have pinball. Coopersmith's has that fantastic green chile beer and some of the best root beer I've ever had in my life. But it's only two blocks away from Pinball Jones!

#24 9 years ago

Stopped by last night and everything was in excellent condition. Great work.

#25 9 years ago

Ryan, Wish you Luck. I will come check it out again soon

JJ

#26 9 years ago

Kim has been learning how to effectively run her place up in Fort C. through many trial and errors and I think has a really good feel for it now, since she is helping you lean on her opinions heavily. She gets lots of feedback from people like myself and others that know what helps attract pinball fans and what doesn't. I have NEVER known her to do a free play night, like most have said, just sounds like a bad idea. There are other good ways to get traffic in and coming back.

(Her best move has been adding beer just FYI, the traffic through there and money made has been quite awesome and I think exceeded anyone's expectations) But clean and working games is right up there, nothing makes a place look crappy and peple not wanting to come back more than unmaintained games!

One of these days I'll actually meet you Ryan, I keep missing every event when you come up, look forward to checking out Press Play again soon as well!

Quoted from ryanwanger:

People under 21 are allowed but only up until 7pm.

Why is that? Are drinks served or something where they aren't allowed in? Seems like a big loss of some customers?

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from cbfest:

Stopped by last night and everything was in excellent condition. Great work.

Thanks!

Quoted from Gexchange:

Ryan, Wish you Luck. I will come check it out again soon
JJ

Excellent - please do!

Quoted from bemmett:

One of these days I'll actually meet you Ryan, I keep missing every event when you come up, look forward to checking out Press Play again soon as well!

Why is that? Are drinks served or something where they aren't allowed in? Seems like a big loss of some customers?

I don't exactly know why those are the rules about 21 and up, but they appear to be non-negotiable. It's probably related to insurance or conditions of their liquor license. As a comparison, 1-Up never allows minors - they check ID even at 11am. Press Play has hundreds of people going in and out on weekend nights for drinking and dancing, so it's an entirely different situation to manage than PBJ - and quarters from people under 21 would probably not make much of an impact on overall business.

We will meet! I'll let you know next time I come up - would love to check out your pins sometime.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Kim has been learning how to effectively run her place up in Fort C. through many trial and errors and I think has a really good feel for it now, since she is helping you lean on her opinions heavily. She gets lots of feedback from people like myself and others that know what helps attract pinball fans and what doesn't. I have NEVER known her to do a free play night, like most have said, just sounds like a bad idea. There are other good ways to get traffic in and coming back.
(Her best move has been adding beer just FYI, the traffic through there and money made has been quite awesome and I think exceeded anyone's expectations) But clean and working games is right up there, nothing makes a place look crappy and peple not wanting to come back more than unmaintained games!

agree 100%. And Kim has some of the best maintained games I've ever seen on location - never have to worry if you're dropping quarters in a barely functional game. If you don't have experience operating, trust her advice. She is a smart businesswomen (other than the obligatory "anyone operating pins these days can't be all that smart" comment) and a straight shooter.

1 week later
#29 9 years ago

Would love to see some of you there this Wednesday for the first tournament. 7:30pm, $5 entry. Format will depend on number of players, but won't be single elimination.

Tournaments will continue to be held on the first Wednesday of every month. PM me if you want to be added to my email list about tourneys & leagues at Press Play.

Turnout and response to the new room has been great so far - thanks to everyone who has come out and supported it!

1 month later
#30 9 years ago

Monthly tournament tonight at 7:30pm.

In December we had 9 players and did a 4-strike tournament.

We did end up doing free play for about 6 weeks, but now are switching Wednesdays over to tournaments and league nights. (League starts next Wednesday, January 14th).

Thanks so much to everyone who has come out to play so far. I was there last night working on games and was getting chatted up by everyone who came in. Seeing the underside of a playfield for the first time seems to be a great conversation starter!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 26.95
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1,159.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-location-boulder-co and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.