Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Hougie
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

STRAIGHT-THREAD-TAP-AND-DIE.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_faz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 9 years ago

Any tool at Harbor Freight should be considered 100% disposable. It may work for one use or break before it even finishes that job (was that too harsh?).

I have a crappy set of taps that I bought from a similar place. Yes, they cut soft steel fairly well, but the tool steel is so brittle that it has fractured over just a few uses (little flakes break off).

I don't recommend a $100 full set of taps either. Find the ONE size that you need and buy a decent tap. The big box home stores should have one or Ace/Sears.

One tap that works well is far more useful than a case of not-so-good quality taps of lots of sizes.

My 2¢.
    faz

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

With people coming & going all the time I would prefer them walking off with a $2 Harbor Freight wrench to my $40 Snap on wrench.

Excellent point!

While I still stand by my "it's crap" statement.... I still buy certain tools ESPECIALLY because they are disposable. For instance....I bought a $15 Angle grinder from Menards on sale. I stuck a diamond blade in it to cut through pavers (about 300). Did the trick for the project and due to the severe clogging of dust, it failed a few years after the project was completed....got in lots of bonus grinding. Saved me hundred$ renting a diamond saw. Right after it failed, I went back to Mendards to buy another...but it was $19...waited a month till it was on sale for $15 again

Perfect use of a disposable tool. No need for a precision tool to do horrible work. If I would have spent $100 on a quality grinder I still think it would have been ruined by all that dust (you should have SEEN the clouds).

I have a few harbor freight tools too. Things that don't do much and/or have little reason to fail long term. including the 500lb cart to lift my pins... I won't be abusing the cart and it worked great out of the box.

faz

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_faz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-legs-and-levelers-wont-thread?tu=pinball_faz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.