Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 110 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Celiac502
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

no_fear_led_2.jpg
    DSCN1345.JPG
    DSCN1344.JPG
    DSCN1343.JPG
    100_0027.JPG
    DSCN0227.JPG
    DSCN0223.JPG
    DSCN0147.JPG
    IMG_0078.jpg
    FlexibleLEDPinball.jpg
    TronProEL.jpg
    photo.JPG
    TZ_Spiral_mod.jpg
    dsc_(1).jpg
    dsc.jpg
    dsc_(5).jpg

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 11 years ago

yeah, i'm a big fan of noflix and pinballcenter in general. superior products and staff who is able to count and read an order sheet.
    I also got a small sample of the ghostbusters lately along with other stuff. they work really well.
    Pinball life and Pinballcenter is my choice of suppliers

#52 11 years ago

Terry Rocks. I ordered 6 of each of these yesterday. Going to try them on JM. Nothing seems to brighten this game enough. I will report back next week.

Jim

#53 11 years ago

JM dims at the end of every game and flickers very bad with leds. You may want to try leds that don't flicker and see how that works out, like CT premiums.

#54 11 years ago

Here are some shots of these new LEDs from Pinball Life. I like them alot as they sit flush with the playfield. They are just as bright as super brights from Cointaker in my opinion, plus they are about 20 cents cheaper

2012-05-19_17-00-08_206.jpg2012-05-19_17-00-08_206.jpg 2012-05-19_17-00-14_571.jpg2012-05-19_17-00-14_571.jpg

#55 11 years ago

Honestly, they look like superbrites x 4 in one bulb. Can you take a shot that compares pbl and ct side by side?

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from TunaSled:

6S3NC3 said:I have an LED question. On my tron I did orange on one side and blue on the other. The blue tends to be a bit more brighter then the orange. There both CT's super brights. Any suggestions on replacing the orange with a brighter orange? They are 44's. Does any1 know if Pinballlife's double or tripple or even the quad be brighter? My guess is the quad might be overkill. Or i could just try out the quad in both colors. Yes im an LED whore myself.
    Try these mothers on the orange side.
    http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc;jsessionid=DF4F149990BBB3475735C4B58CB54284.qscstrfrnt01?categoryId=46

I bought some of those and would not again. Way too expensive and were not a ton brighter. Also fragile as one burned out a few days later.

For any collector with several machines each with 100+ lamps it gets very expensive to outfit.
    I love Coins Flex but think all leds should be under a dollar. Way to go Terry. will def pick up some of those.

#57 11 years ago

I used them in spotlights in ID4 and TAF and only where they face away from the player. I wouldn't use them in GI or lamps as it would be pretty harsh on the eyes.

#58 11 years ago

I put them in the spotlights on SM and they looked great.

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from TunaSled:

Of course this doesn't work if you're counting bulbs/inserts and ordering exactly what you need.

That is usually a mistake, because out of 100+ bulbs, you always get a bad one or two.

I've got about 25 bad LEDs, different brands and styles, over the last few years.

Get a bunch of extra frosted whites, they look good under almost any color insert, so you don't have to worry about matching colors.

#60 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That is usually a mistake, because out of 100+ bulbs, you always get a bad one or two.
    I've got about 25 bad LEDs, different brands and styles, over the last few years.
    Get a bunch of extra frosted whites, they look good under almost any color insert, so you don't have to worry about matching colors.

Very true. Also, I always color match inserts with brights, but the clear inserts get frosted white like you mentioned to cut the blinding factor and better match the intensity of the colors.

#61 11 years ago

With a camera it's Impossible to compare Led's , Noth-n like see'ing it in Person ,, But those in DM ,, Man they lOOk Bright -- Blinding .. Sometime's To Bright is Too much !! Like to Try 1 tho .

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

With a camera it's Impossible to compare Led's , Noth-n like see'ing it in Person ,, But those in DM ,, Man they lOOk Bright -- Blinding .. Sometime's To Bright is Too much !! Like to Try 1 tho .

We will see once I have all ramps and stuff put back in

#63 11 years ago

Here's my TZ with the new 4 leds from PBL:
    dsc_(3).jpgdsc_(3).jpg

In this pic the left sling has a CT super white and the right sling has the PBL 4 led:
    dsc_(2).jpgdsc_(2).jpg

Ablaze 3 led:
    dsc_(5).jpgdsc_(5).jpg

PBL 4 led:
    dsc.jpgdsc.jpg

The Hitch-hiker insert has an Ablaze orange single concave, The camera has an orange 4 led, and the greed has an Ablaze orange 3 led:
    dsc_(1).jpgdsc_(1).jpg

#64 11 years ago

Legion you have a smoked Upper Rt-ramp too ( Stock ) Shanetastic installed a Clear 1 ,, Huge Diff- . You could see and Read the plastic under the ramp .. Kinda miss my TZ a Lil- ..

TZ_Spiral_mod.jpgTZ_Spiral_mod.jpg

#65 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Legion you have a smoked Upper Rt-ramp too ( Stock )

Besides a few reversible mods, mines all stock and HUO.

#66 11 years ago

I bought a clear reproduction TZ ramp a couple years ago to replace my smoked one, but just wondered if it was worth the trouble to switch. Ramp is in great condition, but just doesn't have the clear plastic. May give it a whirl one day to compare. Have any of you guys switched the ramp just to have the clear one in there?

Michael

#67 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

turbo20lbs said:The whites are too friggin bright, colors should be good though. As a GI in white, they are brighter than cointakers supers.
    How do they compare in brightness to Cointakers Ultra's?

I have not seen ultras, but the are brighter than the supers.

I did compare the heat of these to a ct super and standard incandescent, theses things get super hot!

#68 11 years ago

Here's a crappy comparison shot. The top left is CT Super, top right is CT Ultra, and bottom is new PBL F'n Bright. They are F'n bright, he's correct in every way. Just wish it was more white and less blue. I bought a few of each color and base, price is definitely right at $.89. Ultras are $2.49! Both companies are awesome though, love them both.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#69 11 years ago

From the pictures of the actual bulb it looks like they are the style that only work if inserted the correct direction like previous 555 PBL leds...can anyone confirm?

That is one of the biggest reasons CT leds are nice...throw in the 555 with the machine off and know it will work, not so much with the PBL ones of the past.

#70 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer22:

From the pictures of the actual bulb it looks like they are the style that only work if inserted the correct direction like previous 555 PBL leds...can anyone confirm?
    That is one of the biggest reasons CT leds are nice...throw in the 555 with the machine off and know it will work, not so much with the PBL ones of the past.

All PBL LED lamps are AC/DC (unpolarized) except for the cheapest 1-LED lamps.

#71 11 years ago

Hadn't ordered PBL led's in awhile...thanks for the info shake

#72 11 years ago

Here is a picture of the orange in the left sling and left lane on my Tron.
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2561&parent=192
    Now I am going to order to blue. I thought these might to bright but they are not too bright.
    I really like the orange and there are no hot spots.

TronProEL.jpgTronProEL.jpg

1 week later
    #73 11 years ago

Finally got some of these to try.

Holy shit! The item number is perfect. These are the brightest LED's I've seen yet. They are brighter than the CT Ultra's, so I will use these when cool white is appropriate, and will still spend the extra money for the Ultra Warm's when needed.

But man, these suckers are BRIGHT. I'd never use them under an insert, that's for sure. I don't think that they would be great for GI either, other than spots to brighten parts of a PF.

Put some in the spots on my MM pointing at the castle. The game had purple 3 LED's in there before. The new 4 LEDs were WAY brighter made a huge difference.

Brightest. LED. Ever.

#74 11 years ago

I'd never use them under an insert, that's for sure.

I have used them in inserts. In my countdown the target inserts use a horizontal socket. Using the PBL new leds allowed a nice glow to these inserts. The 3 led ones didn't cut it.
    On my Cleopatra right side outlanes, here too, horizontal sockets are used. (the left outs use vertical sockets) Putting the 4 led her worked great as well.

I am experimenting with making my own leds like these in the pic that will allow me to position leds better in the horizontal sockets. Use old bases and solder in my own leds on flexible buss wire leads.

FlexibleLEDPinball.jpgFlexibleLEDPinball.jpg

And yes, as others have stated, they are very bright!

I also built a lamp/led test jig a while back. This allows me to compare different leds outside of the Pin. I have since added 555 base sockets as well. I did end up making the jig more compact and nicer looking.
    Thread is here:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-and-lights-test-fixture-jig

#75 11 years ago

I put the PBL brights under the purple Feed Frenzy arrows in my FT and they pop beautifully with a nice rich color.

#76 11 years ago

I don't think that they would be great for GI either

I only installed them in GI on my Tron.

IMG_0078.jpgIMG_0078.jpg

#77 11 years ago

Looks really great!

#78 11 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

Looks really great!

Thanks, and thank you for posting your EL wire shopping list!

#79 11 years ago

They are unbelievable in a RFM. I will post pics if anyone is interested.

#80 11 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback on these. We did a lot of tweaking on these (about 10 different sample runs IIRC) but I am happy with the final result.
    Terry.

#81 11 years ago
    Quoted from ThePostmaster:

They are unbelievable in a RFM. I will post pics if anyone is interested.

Interested.

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback on these. We did a lot of tweaking on these (about 10 different sample runs IIRC) but I am happy with the final result.
    Terry.

The fact that you can sell these so cheap is pretty impressive Terry!

Congrats on putting together a winner.

#83 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlooking:

I don't think that they would be great for GI either

I only installed them in GI on my Tron.

Attachments IMG_0078.jpg (99.1 KB, 0 downloads) 4 hours old

I'd have to see it in person, but I'd think they'd be way too bright for my taste in all the GI.

#84 11 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

The whites are too friggin bright, colors should be good though. As a GI in white, they are brighter than cointakers supers.

These should NEVER be used as G.I. lamps! I saw a bunch of games at the Pinball Hall of Fame today with these, and they produce to much glare, and just don't have the right tone for a playfield / backglass.

LED's might be okay for under the playfield, or for flash lamps, but behind the back glass or out where they can be seen on the playfield, they look like CRAP!

#85 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I'd have to see it in person, but I'd think they'd be way too bright for my taste in all the GI.

A lot of them are under colored plastic protectors and they look good. Orange actually could be brighter. There is only one blue at the top right by the ramp that is a little bright. I only use LED’s in certain spots in my games and never replace all the lights.
    I don’t even like playing a lot of game that have LED's in the inserts it hurts my eyes.

#86 11 years ago

LED's (at least on older machines) are way to bright for G.I. use, produce spotty lighting, and don't have the right color.

Who want's a back-glass or trans-light to look like this?

DSCN0147.JPGDSCN0147.JPG
    ... or a play field that looks like this? DSCN0223.JPGDSCN0223.JPG DSCN0227.JPGDSCN0227.JPG

#87 11 years ago

With all due respect, glw, you couldn't have picked worse examples. All my games are fully LED'd, and none of them look anything like that. As I've said in countless other threads, you can't just randomly stick LEDs in a machine and expect it to look good. It's an art form.

#88 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

With all due respect, glw, you couldn't have picked worse examples. All my games are fully LED'd, and none of them look anything like that. As I've said in countless other threads, you can't just randomly stick LEDs in a machine and expect it to look good. It's an art form.

Plus a lot of it depends on what type of bulbs were used as well. What kind were used in this Playboy?

#89 11 years ago

Also, lets not forget how hard it is to correctly photograph pins in the dark.

#90 11 years ago

For every carefully chosen and placed LED that gweempose uses, there's another guy who just gets a kit and throws them all in there.

#91 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Actually, I picked the BEST examples. I've never seen any pin with LED's (as G.I.s) on it that look right. Some don't look as bad, but I've seen worse. And as you pointed out, "you can't randomly stick LEDs in a machine and expect it to look good". That just kind of backs up what I said.

Now if newer machines are made to compensate for this, fine, but it really doesn't work on older machines. But LEDs by nature tend to direct light in one direction. A lamp filament is omni-directional. That's why LEDs generally work okay as inset lighting.

#92 11 years ago

LEDs do not typically translate well with cheap phone cameras and junky cameras. I have frosted cool whites in my EATPM and it looks great. When I took a pic of it with my phone camera you could clearly see every led popping out like crazy. Just something to think about it when you see LED pics.

#93 11 years ago

LEDs can be applied with maximum effect if you know what you are doing from experience. There is a definite set of rules to LED fitting a machine. Most people will have their own variation on those rules. I still stick with NO LEDs for p/f GI and anything that normally has any dimming effect. Everywhere else goes, although I have now switched exposed (condom) bulbs from LED to coloured incandeascent as I find them softer on the eyes when viewed directly.

Also, I find the (warm white) Cointake ultras (the ones that dont have a nipple) to be the best for backbox GI lighting for 90's machines.

#94 11 years ago

I haven't had good luck with orange and yellow leds on pins. In my WH2O I used orange and yellow under the boulder garden & they were dimmer. Had to go back to incandescent bulbs for brightness. Lots of orange and yellow in the clock area in FH, once again the 2 LED bulbs didn't make any diff. One couldn't tell led's were in there. One might save money and just keep the incandescent bulbs in place. YMMV

#96 11 years ago
    Quoted from dirtrider:

I haven't had good luck with orange and yellow leds on pins.

Orange LEDs work fine under orange inserts for me (but I know others disagree), but there is simply no reason to ever buy a yellow LED in my opinion. They don't work. I put a yellow LED under a yellow insert, and a warm white LED under another yellow insert right next to it. The difference was huge. The warm white LED made the yellow insert look much more yellow (and brighter) than the yellow LED did.

#97 11 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

And as you pointed out, "you can't randomly stick LEDs in a machine and expect it to look good". That just kind of backs up what I said.

Really? I don't see how.

#98 11 years ago

I will post some RFM pics tonight. Side by side, normal 555, versus Ablaze 4 LEDs'. I didn't put ant in G.I. Just under inserts. I did get some for the saucers, I'll take before and after pics of them as well.

#99 11 years ago

I am looking for LEDs for my TRON machine. I am debating doing Orange / Blue. I was looking at the CT kit, but not sure it's the "best". Should I order all the bulbs I need ? Which bulbs are the best for each section ? I was reading that CT seemed to be good, but these seem to be gaining interests. I just want the best looking LEDs for the money for the entire machine.

#100 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

I am looking for LEDs for my TRON machine. I am debating doing Orange / Blue. I was looking at the CT kit, but not sure it's the "best". Should I order all the bulbs I need ? Which bulbs are the best for each section ? I was reading that CT seemed to be good, but these seem to be gaining interests. I just want the best looking LEDs for the money for the entire machine.

I would personally never buy a CT kit, for some reason all their kits seem to add colour to GI and colour areas of the playfield for no apparent reason, the BDK is horrible for those very reasons. I've just done my Tron and IM in LEDs and I've began the process buying 5 of each colour in each brand to allow me to experiment and compare brands side by side, once I'm certain I'm happy I'll order enough to complete each pin. Like others have said trial and error is easily the best route with LEDs, kits are often made on another persons opinion/taste and not yours so going the DiY route is definately best IMO.

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-leds-at-pinball-life/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.