Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 110 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Celiac502
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

no_fear_led_2.jpg
    DSCN1345.JPG
    DSCN1344.JPG
    DSCN1343.JPG
    100_0027.JPG
    DSCN0227.JPG
    DSCN0223.JPG
    DSCN0147.JPG
    IMG_0078.jpg
    FlexibleLEDPinball.jpg
    TronProEL.jpg
    photo.JPG
    TZ_Spiral_mod.jpg
    dsc_(1).jpg
    dsc.jpg
    dsc_(5).jpg
    There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 11 years ago

Anyone see these? Tried them?

"4-SMD" LED. Described as "really, really bright. Excellent for anywhere you want a whole gob of light".

I wonder how the brightness of these compares to Cointaker Supers?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2560&parent=192

The best part? The part number!

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #3 11 years ago

Yes I bought some last week and put a couple in my TOM where the bulbs are turned sideways. They lit the inserts well. Very happy with rhe result as the other bulbs where not lighting the insert well.
    I have not tried them elsewhere yet but plan to try some in bigger inserts.

#4 11 years ago

The whites are too friggin bright, colors should be good though. As a GI in white, they are brighter than cointakers supers.

#5 11 years ago

Check out the overview:
    "When too bright is not bright enough"

#6 11 years ago

I just ordered a bunch of these for my Demo Man shop project. We will see how bright they are when the machine is put back together

#7 11 years ago

Love it, go Terry!

#8 11 years ago

I am curious how bright the yellow ones are. Yellow is usually on the dimmer side with LEDs.

--Scott

#9 11 years ago

Nice, guess I need to spend some more money on LED's! I was wondering if Terry was going to bring on some new LED's...now we just need him to get new flashers that put off light in all directions.

#10 11 years ago

Looks good! Will have have to grab a few on my next order

#11 11 years ago

Gotta try these. I'm hooked on CT's supers and high intensities. Total LED whore.

#12 11 years ago

Great news.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from TunaSled:

Total LED whore.

LOL. You're not alone my friend.

*raises hand in LED Anonymous meeting*

#14 11 years ago

I have an LED question. On my tron I did orange on one side and blue on the other. The blue tends to be a bit more brighter then the orange. There both CT's super brights. Any suggestions on replacing the orange with a brighter orange? They are 44's. Does any1 know if Pinballlife's double or tripple or even the quad be brighter? My guess is the quad might be overkill. Or i could just try out the quad in both colors. Yes im an LED whore myself.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer22:

Nice, guess I need to spend some more money on LED's! I was wondering if Terry was going to bring on some new LED's...now we just need him to get new flashers that put off light in all directions.

Not only that, but Ablaze line is missing a good GI LED as well. As far as I'm concerned, the only LEDs that I have seen on the market that are suitable replacements are the cointaker warm or cool white frosteds. The transluscent white dome does a FANTASTIC job of throwing light out the sides, and they're just a bit brighter than the normal 44. If I had a single complaint, and I'm really nitpicking here, it would be that the "warm" white is just a little cooler on the color temperature than an incandescent, but it's still a massive improvement over any other LED for GI.

I put the warm whites all up in my Stargate under the PITA-to-get-to areas at the top of the playfield, game looks amazing. I wish I had picked up a hundred of them instead of 20 at TPF.

To be fair, I have and do use Ablaze LEDs for most of my insert applications. Dunno what I'm going to do with STTNG though, there are a ton of sockets that are completely parallel to the playfield to light inserts. I may just try the colored frosted again since they throw so much light out the side!

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from 6S3NC3:

I have an LED question. On my tron I did orange on one side and blue on the other. The blue tends to be a bit more brighter then the orange. There both CT's super brights. Any suggestions on replacing the orange with a brighter orange? They are 44's. Does any1 know if Pinballlife's double or tripple or even the quad be brighter? My guess is the quad might be overkill. Or i could just try out the quad in both colors. Yes im an LED whore myself.

Try these mothers on the orange side.
    http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc;jsessionid=DF4F149990BBB3475735C4B58CB54284.qscstrfrnt01?categoryId=46

#17 11 years ago

Wow and at .89, you can't go wrong. Please someone review these in relation to super brites. I love CT, but they are expensive. I've spent a lot of money with them, but always welcome competition. Haven't tried their premiums, but no ghosting or flicker sounds great.

#18 11 years ago

I agree, Ablaze is missing LEDs for GI.

The best LEDs I have seen for GI are Cointakers Warm White Retro LEDs. If Ablaze made these I could then get all of my LEDs from Terry!

--Scott

#19 11 years ago

I'm looking to led out FT...I may have to order the 4 fish colors from a few different kinds of led's and see how they look. Need pic comparisons...if they show up ok on film.

#20 11 years ago

I Don't see those going behind no back glass.. Spot on Big Tyme..
    Why am I here , I'm a Cointaker Fan !! But i had to lOOK ..

#21 11 years ago

I'm still waiting on them to offer a warm white.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I agree, Ablaze is missing LEDs for GI.
    The best LEDs I have seen for GI are Cointakers Warm White Retro LEDs. If Ablaze made these I could then get all of my LEDs from Terry!
    --Scott

Tried the Retros, didn't like them personally where the bulb is directly visible. =\ I'm sure they're fine under plastics. They're not overly bright, just my personal preference that I feel they're too bright when in direct line of sight.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

The whites are too friggin bright, colors should be good though. As a GI in white, they are brighter than cointakers supers.

How do they compare in brightness to Cointakers Ultra's?

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I'm looking to led out FT...I may have to order the 4 fish colors from a few different kinds of led's and see how they look. Need pic comparisons...if they show up ok on film.

I just did mine and it is brilliant. A good mix of Ablaze and Cointakers. As soon as I get a connector fixed I'll take pics for you. I used Ablaze regulars for all small inserts. Oranges, as mentioned, run a bit dimmer so CT superbrights work well to match intensity. For the large inserts, I used Cointaker 5 high power, matching fish color of course. The purple feeding frenzy arrows are amazing looking with the 5HPs.

As a side note, yellow LEDs are less intense as well so I've been using soft whites behind yellow inserts and it looks great.

#25 11 years ago

Interesting.. Thank you.

I'd like to brim a few EM machines.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from TunaSled:

northvibe said:I'm looking to led out FT...I may have to order the 4 fish colors from a few different kinds of led's and see how they look. Need pic comparisons...if they show up ok on film.
    I just did mine and it is brilliant. A good mix of Ablaze and Cointakers. As soon as I get a connector fixed I'll take pics for you. I used Ablaze regulars for all small inserts. Oranges, as mentioned, run a bit dimmer so CT superbrights work well to match intensity. For the large inserts, I used Cointaker 5 high power, matching fish color of course. The purple feeding frenzy arrows are amazing looking with the 5HPs.
    As a side note, yellow LEDs are less intense as well so I've been using soft whites behind yellow inserts and it looks great.

I for sure want to see pics

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Not only that, but Ablaze line is missing a good GI LED as well.

On the contrary, I think the Ablaze 3-LEDs often work great under the slings and other plastics.

Quoted from Frax:

Dunno what I'm going to do with STTNG though, there are a ton of sockets that are completely parallel to the playfield to light inserts.

Cointaker flex supers are the answer to your prayers.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

+100

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I for sure want to see pics

Also for FT, You'll do yourself well to get the patched updated U6 rom. It will minimize LED ghosting.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

To be fair, I have and do use Ablaze LEDs for most of my insert applications. Dunno what I'm going to do with STTNG though, there are a ton of sockets that are completely parallel to the playfield to light inserts. I may just try the colored frosted again since they throw so much light out the side!

I went Ablaze 3-LED on mine everywhere except behind the time warp targets since it was blinding me during normal play, I went frosted single there. The backbox I used frosted singe LED except on the Borg beam I used blue and it really pops. I also color matched all inserts. It looks amazing overall. I like the GI and flashers to be as bright as I can get on this game and it really looks cool when the Borg hits your shields and everything flashes. Between those, the upgraded base speakers, and the shaker, when you take a direct hit, your really get the full effect of it.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from BVM:

I'd like to brim a few EM machines.

I bet you would..........

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Frax said:Not only that, but Ablaze line is missing a good GI LED as well.

On the contrary, I think the Ablaze 3-LEDs often work great under the slings and other plastics.
    Frax said:Dunno what I'm going to do with STTNG though, there are a ton of sockets that are completely parallel to the playfield to light inserts.

Good to know. I was thinking about those, but I've never had any of them! I will give them a shot.

My complaint with Ablaze in GI is that they don't throw light out to the SIDES of the playfield like an incandescent would. I have some 3-led ones in my Space Shuttle under plastics. The light doesn't go out to the middle of the playfield, and the lighting under the plastics is "spotlight-y". It's like the light just drops off right outside of the S-H-U-T-T-L-E letters. It's hard to illustrate with pictures, because I don't have a non-digital camera. =\

*edit* Now who can hook me up with the rom patch?

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Super brights are extremely directional and not good for GI. Never use them there. Try using the frosted 44 for GI. It radiates light much better. Cointaker does not have a good orange in my opinion. The best for orange gi is the orange double bright. But it's still not optimal. Maybe try a couple of those.

And guys for the sockets that are sideways under the insert, get the flex super bright bulbs. These let you insert the bulb then point it however you need it.

#34 11 years ago

The orange does not look bad. Its just in person the blue on the right stands out a bit more. Take a look. They are all 44's super brights.

TronSlings.jpgTronSlings.jpg

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Dunno what I'm going to do with STTNG though, there are a ton of sockets that are completely parallel to the playfield to light inserts.

I need to take some pics for you. I used cointaker's flex supers in my sttng, probably 80% of them are flex. I've seen this machine poorly done with leds, inserts barely lit, etc with regular leds. But with flexes, I was able to shine the led to fill the entire insert for every led. If you want, I can take some pics. Came out really nice.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

My complaint with Ablaze in GI is that they don't throw light out to the SIDES of the playfield like an incandescent would ...

True, and this is why a lot of people like to add spotlights to games where they have converted the GI to LEDs. It's a good way to compensate for the darker playfield resulting from the LEDs.

#37 11 years ago

I bought a LED kit for my BSD from Cointaker and it looks nice. I have Pinball Life Led's in My Congo And W?D and I prefer the Pinball life Led's personally. I hear alot of people mix and match from both companies.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Super brights are extremely directional and not good for GI. Never use them there.

Depends on the insert. They're not good for larger inserts, but under small ones they are great. I have my Cyclone entirely superbrighted except for the five "clown face" inserts just above the flippers and it looks stellar.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from BriGuy5:

Frax said:Dunno what I'm going to do with STTNG though, there are a ton of sockets that are completely parallel to the playfield to light inserts.
    I need to take some pics for you. I used cointaker's flex supers in my sttng, probably 80% of them are flex. I've seen this machine poorly done with leds, inserts barely lit, etc with regular leds. But with flexes, I was able to shine the led to fill the entire insert for every led. If you want, I can take some pics. Came out really nice.

Sure, I'm about to go over it tonight and put together a LED list.

#40 11 years ago

Anybody know if these put out any heat? The Cointaker Ultra's do put out a little heat, but they are worth it if you need blazing color. Just curious if these are like that due to their output.

#41 11 years ago

At the show I bought a bunch of those LED's they said don't flicker when you replace the bulbs that dim on and off. I hope they work...

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

Anybody know if these put out any heat? The Cointaker Ultra's do put out a little heat, but they are worth it if you need blazing color. Just curious if these are like that due to their output.

I don't know, but if these put out as much light as the Ultra's, I'm probably not going to be buying Ultra's anymore since these are about 1/3 the price!

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I don't know, but if these put out as much light as the Ultra's, I'm probably not going to be buying Ultra's anymore since these are about 1/3 the price!

I bought a bunch of these in different colors last week to give them a try. To answer your question RobT, they put out almost 'exactly' the amount of light as the identical color CT Ultra's. I've always been a huge fan of Cointaker's product, however, since this discovery I plan to buy from PBL whenever I am looking for this kind of light output. I should also mention that I compared colors between the two brands and they appear almost identical as well. As far as 'bang for the buck' is concerned, PBL's for the win.

#44 11 years ago

I forgot to mention that PBL's 4-LED are significantly shorter than CT's ultra offering. Not sure if that matters to you all, but when I used them for GI, they were almost flush with the playfield on my Stern game (Tron LE) and were flush on the one Gottlieb I own. (Freddy) They may be a bit more difficult to remove when the time comes, but again, for the price they are an excellent product.

#45 11 years ago

I mix and match. I usually spend some time when I get a machine and go through and try them to see what looks best. I find the warm minis from CT work in clear or yellow inserts. They aren't as bright so they end up having somewhat of the same intensity as the CT supers or the Ablaze 3lites.

Terry's prices are hard to beat; besides he's just a great guy.

I always recommend stopping by his place. Free pinball. I need a handful of bulbs but I'm still going to swing by next week so I can play his AC/DC machine.

Chris

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisS:

I mix and match. I usually spend some time when I get a machine and go through and try them to see what looks best.

+1.

Use your creative eye and have enough spares on hand to do some swapping. I use both PBL and CT in all my machines and I couldn't be happier. Of course this doesn't work if you're counting bulbs/inserts and ordering exactly what you need. You need a surplus of styles/colors to play around with. This occurred naturally for me as I swapped out LEDs early on. I have one of those bead divider trays from a craft store full of extras to mess with now. Make sure you mark NG LEDs as they look exactly like the regular Ablaze. The rest are easy to tell apart between the two brands.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from TunaSled:

You need a surplus of styles/colors to play around with.

+1

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/ba9s-noflix-led-blue-superflux-p-19.html?language=english
    enough said

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderpants:

http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/ba9s-noflix-led-blue-superflux-p-19.html?language=english
    enough said

...or double down:

http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/ba9s-noflix-plus-blue-superflux-p-2687.html?language=english

#50 11 years ago

I wonder how these would do for the GI in Judge Dredd would like to make those nice and bright since the are sideways under the playfield

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-leds-at-pinball-life/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.