Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by vdojaq
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I have someone looking for LED displays for their 8 ball. They currently have only 1 failing (player 1). My question is can you replace only 1? Or do all 4 - 7digit and 1 - 6 digit displays need to be replaced together? Never owned an early solid state Bally. Does it have a control board that needs replaced like early Williams?

When replacing just plug and play?

Where can I find the best deal whether I only need 1 display or all 4/5? Links would be awesome! Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

Bally and Stern (77-84) are just plug and play. You can buy a single led replacement display from a Pinball Life, but it’ll be cheaper to repair it. You can buy all the needed components at Great Plains Electronics.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Bally and Stern (77-84) are just plug and play. You can buy a single led replacement display from a Pinball Life, but it’ll be cheaper to repair it. You can buy all the needed components at Great Plains Electronics.

To be clear. Can replace 1 display with LED and keep the rest Plasma?

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

To be clear. Can replace 1 display with LED and keep the rest Plasma?

Yes. Unlike e.g. Williams EE, the displays of your Bally EE are independant. There is no "Master display" or something like that.

It might look a little strange with different types of displays, but technically spoken, that's no problem.

Did that before on my EBD so the games could go on while I was repairing the original and had no plasma spare part at hand.

If it's Player 1 that's failing, you might as well interchange it with player 4 for a quick repair and make your pinball a 3-player-version

#5 2 years ago

8 ball..
My question is can you replace only 1? Or do all 4 - 7digit and 1 - 6 digit displays need to be replaced together?

Eight Ball was a six digit game.
Or did you mean Eight Ball Deluxe which was a seven digit game?
Suggest to put the LED display at the credit/ball in play display position and move that original one to player 1 so all the player displays are plasmas and look the same.

#6 2 years ago

I have someone looking for LED displays for their 8 ball. They currently have only 1 failing (player 1). My question is can you replace only 1? Or do all 4 - 7digit and 1 - 6 digit displays need to be replaced together? Never owned an early solid state Bally. Does it have a control board that needs replaced like early Williams?
When replacing just plug and play?
Where can I find the best deal whether I only need 1 display or all 4/5? Links would be awesome! Thanks!

There's no technical reason why you can't mix and match. However, the appearance may differ a bit between the LED and original plasma displays.

As long as the plasma display isn't seriously burnt up, the PCB can usually be repaired for a few dollars of electronics components.

A section on display repair: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Display_problems

Sometimes, individuals/suppliers also sell repaired plasma displays.

Yes, you can sometimes buy individual LED displays or a full set of them. However, I just did a quick check on a couple brands, and currently, I'm not really seeing individual LED displays for sale--just mostly full sets.

Pinitech, wolffpac, pinscore, and xpin are brands that are currently available. It looks like pinitech and wolffpac are only offering DIY kits (meaning, you solder everything together yourself, rather than buy a plug & play ready display).

#7 2 years ago

My mistake. It is 8 Ball so they are 6 digit displays. Going to look at it tomorrow morning. Easy way to tell difference between outgassing on these displays and missing/ erratic segments? She said eventually the whole display goes blank.

#8 2 years ago

She said eventually the whole display goes blank.

That could be a connectivity issue. Usually because of cracked solder joints on the header pins, tarnished header pins, or tarnished/damaged connector pins--or a combination of all three.

Easy way to tell difference between outgassing on these displays and missing/ erratic segments?

The segments are lit, but vary in brightness across the display. One side might be bright, while the other is dim. Although usually with these displays, outgassing doesn't happen very much. It's usually either sealed, or the glass is broken.

One of the other main issues is black spots in the display segments, or burnt areas in the segments. Those aren't fixable. You either use the displays as-is, or replace the glass, or replace the entire display.

Missing digits/segments are *usually* fixable, since that's typically a logic, connectivity, or power issue. But sometimes it can be a a problem in the glass itself.

#9 2 years ago

These kits are inexpensive, easy to assemble and match pretty well.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wolffpac-6-digit-display-kit-review

#10 2 years ago

Tipps repairing these displays

- first resolder the connectors and recrimp the plugs.
Then:
- Missing digits or missing segments -> there is al easy-to-follow instruction available, which transistor needs to be replaced*
- Nonsense displayed? BCD-to-7-segment-decoder is only a few cent, try replacing
- nothing to see at all? You might loose - the glass is not reparable.

* https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Display_problems

#11 2 years ago

So after all that it turns out it was a loose connection...lol. Thanks everyone for chiming in. Easiest house call I've ever made. Didn't even have to open my toolbox!

#12 2 years ago

So after all that it turns out it was a loose connection...lol. Thanks everyone for chiming in. Easiest house call I've ever made. Didn't even have to open my toolbox!

Re-solder all those pin connectors on your displays and you should be golden!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kalamazoo, MI
Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-led-displays-for-bally-8-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.