Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 108 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMGA0338.JPG
    IMGA0337.JPG
    IMGA0336.JPG
    under guitar leds.JPG
    leds pop bumper area.JPG1.JPG
    leds pop bumper area.JPG
    foil.jpg
    20140312_204410.jpg
    Flintstones Light Strips 001.JPG
    strip.jpg
    sttng_playfield.jpg
    2 SMD FLUTED DOME R-932.JPG
    2 SMD FLUTED DOME NW-922.JPG
    2 SMD FLUTED DOME B-414.JPG
    2 SMD FLUTED DOME G-274.JPG
    2 SMD FLUTED DOME WW-530.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mustangpaul.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 9 years ago

Art, how well do you think the flutted dome would work in a spot light?

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Those 6.3V strips, where can you tie them into, and is it two bare wires as the end or some type of plug to go into a light socket on the pf? I'd like to add one to the back of the back plastic strip on Goldeneye - would look great with that landscape scene lit up!!

Nate

Hi Nate, I have used the 6.3v strips a lot in my games, if you click on the strips on the Comet web site you'll see some pictures of how I used them. They come with alligator clip, 44 and 555 adapters. They are GREAT!.

Looks like a couple beat me to post.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Hey Paul,
    You should be the first to get a new RGB strip...maybe today....sorry the clips arent there its a proto...
    I look forward to hearing you smile!

Hey thanks Art.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

So I can alligator clip them to a GI bulb and it lites up and stays lit? Can't be any simpler than that!

The hardest part is figuring out how to run the wires through the pf.

#49 9 years ago

I've had to run the wires of a strip through a pf plastic a couple of times so I had to drill a small hole in it.

Here's a trick I've used so only a very small hole is needed. The strip has 2 wires coming out of it that are pined on the ends and then pushed into a male plastic connector. Instead of drilling a big hole that the connector fits through I gently pull the 2 pined wires out of the connector and stick them one at a time through a hole just big enough for the 2 wires. Once through I reconnect the pins into the male connector. By doing it that way your hole is about half the diameter of the hole needed to stick the connector through.

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I like the pants buttons! I may do red

Red pants buttons.

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Terry at Pinball Rehab also suggested this product, which I have yet to personally try....but seems to be a great
    solution for many mods, a no cut splice!

amazon.com link »

I use those all the time, I get them for 10 cents apiece but for the strips I just use the alligator clips that come with the strips. Never had a short yet.

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Btw Art, I notice the optiMax generates some real heat. Is that to be expected?

The heat is normal, they put out A LOT of light for such a small bulb.

#62 9 years ago

I get mine at a local surplus store called Axe Man. The red ones are good for 18 - 22 gauge, blues are for 14 - 18 I think. At 10 cents each it's a steal. They can be reused also just pry them open and push the metal splicer back up.

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from Decat:

Comet LEDs for the win....
    High quality products, AMAZING prices, best service possible, win, win, win, thanks again Art!

and don't forget "Innovation"...that's Art's middle name.

#76 9 years ago
    Quoted from Applezz:

Just got in my order of Fluted Dome bulbs. WOW are they brighter then the single frosted ones! They were almost too bright under my plastics, so I applied an almost transparent silver film to the back and got the following results(foil on left, nothing on right). Not sure which way I will keep yet.

foil.jpg 206 KB

Dang that's bright. I'll bet they would work good under the big inserts.

1 month later
    #86 9 years ago
    Quoted from Renouart:

Thanks for the suggestions, I like the looks of the 6 LED bulb. Is there a video of the bumper ring?

I have the Crystal Fan in many of my games and they look a lot better then regular bulbs because of their light spread especially under the jewel caps. And if you want brighter yet the rings are the way to go and the brightness can be turned down to your likeness also. Comet bulbs gives you many choices to suit your taste and the "look" you desire.

#88 9 years ago
    Quoted from Renouart:

Thanks for the review of the fan. I am looking for something to make the pop bumper really pop went it lights, but I think the rings are a bit much for me right now.

Then the Fan is probably what your looking for.

2 weeks later
    #90 9 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

ac/dc, installed my guitar (about time i had the guitar for almost 2 years) over the right return ramp last night and used comet pinball leds strip (red) under the guitar, hard to capture with a camera but look very nice in person.
    installed another strip in the pop bumpers area between the bell and pop bumpers, always found that place a little dark, not any more and it fits there perfectly.
    very easy to install, 6.3 volts anywhere in the G.I and comes with all the connectors.
    big shout out for a great product at a great price, thanks art.
    **used my ipad and didn't remove the glass but you get the idea**

leds pop bumper area.JPG 67 KB

leds pop bumper area.JPG1.JPG 68 KB

under guitar leds.JPG 60 KB

Super nice. Those strips are the bees knees.

1 month later
    #91 9 years ago

Hey Art, you have some nice UV bulbs but have you thought about making 6.3v 7 led UV strips? I have a need maybe others as well.

#93 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Ill look into.....

Thanks Art, here's my idea. EATPM has a big clear plastic that's empty on the back right side so I'm turning it into a graveyard. I painted all the skeletons with the clear UV paint so just they light up under UV. I tried using a spot light but it doesn't light up all the graveyard, the physical spot reflector calls attention to it's self and there just isn't a place to mount it. So I tried a green 6.3v, 3 led strip tucked up under the lip of the ramp so it faces the graveyard and that worked very good but it was the wrong color and there weren't enough leds to light the whole graveyard, I need a 7 led UV strip for the mod to turn out like I want. To help hide the black sticky tape on the back of the led strip I'll mount the strip on a piece white foam tape and stick that onto the ramp. That will make the strip less noticeable from the players position. I think a UV strip would make a nice addition to your strip line-up.

IMGA0336.JPGIMGA0336.JPG
    IMGA0337.JPGIMGA0337.JPG
    IMGA0338.JPGIMGA0338.JPG

#95 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Your ears must have been burning,

Funny you should mention that, my ears were ringing last night. Hope you can getter done.

#97 9 years ago
    Quoted from pindan3:

to old pin guy...............bring goodies to Orlando..............that is all...........

Art told me he wasn't going to have a booth.

4 weeks later
    #101 9 years ago

Art has gone through a lot of trouble to update his web site to make it more friendly and informative. Hope you all enjoy it and it helps make the decision making about his bulbs easier.

#104 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Art's the best. Unfortunately, at this point I feel like I would have to buy more pins in order to justify buying more bulbs.

Well you just have to use your imagination. I'm thinking about using 2 of his pop rings stacked on top of each other with spacer pegs attached and put the assembly over the shaft of my DE Star Wars Death Star to really light up the underside of it. Have to see if it's doable though. Stuff like that.

#106 9 years ago
    Quoted from vader1979:

That is actually a really good idea! Let me know how thst works out!

OK will do, when I can find some time that is. LOL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mustangpaul.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-led-bulbs-from-comet-pinball?tu=mustangpaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.