5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 108 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMGA0338.JPG
    IMGA0337.JPG
    IMGA0336.JPG
    under guitar leds.JPG
    leds pop bumper area.JPG1.JPG
    leds pop bumper area.JPG
    foil.jpg
    20140312_204410.jpg
    Flintstones Light Strips 001.JPG
    strip.jpg
    sttng_playfield.jpg
    2 SMD FLUTED DOME R-932.JPG
    2 SMD FLUTED DOME NW-922.JPG
    2 SMD FLUTED DOME B-414.JPG
    2 SMD FLUTED DOME G-274.JPG
    2 SMD FLUTED DOME WW-530.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider m00dawg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 5 years ago

I'm trying to find a good bulb for being the Time Rift for STTNG. Thinking the fluted domes might be a good choice? It's probably the most direct bulb I can see on the playfield, other than the indicators for command decision and Borg lock so I was wanting to find something that looked nice but also that threw light mostly upwards towards the art.

Those Black Platinums might do the trick - I'm just not sure if it might be too spotty?

Either way, I definitely plan on trying those fluted domes out for the backbox as you say! That sounds like a winner!

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

With my apologies, I am not able to visualize what you want to accomplish.
    The fluted Dome, is designed for 70% of its light side to side, in a cross hatch pattern of greater distance.
    If you wish to PM me, with a photo, Id be happy to help.
    Essentially, all the products I have are about brightness, direction, and distance of throw, so I am confident,
    I will have something that will work for you, and blend the brightness to your taste and the rest of the game.

Ah ok. You mentioned it's good for the backbox then, I assume because it disperses light more uni-formally due to the side throw?

For the Time Rift, we can take this off list if we get too far off subject, but it's basically here:

sttng_playfield.jpg

Grabbed that from a quick image search and just put a circle around the place, so it's not mine The problem is, when playing, you can see the bulb behind those targets rather clearly. It points up (to the art) not forward. So my thought was a frosted bulb there. I tried a cool white one and it was both a bit too much white and also still too bright for my liking. I want to art to shine but want the side throw to be more subtle. I was thinking of going purple there as well (actually purple + some white if that kind of bulb is available). Right now I have kept an incan there which is not bad light wise, but is a bit out of place.

I /think/ the single (non-SMD) bulbs you sell might work there. Something that's intentionally dimmer but not non-existent, if that makes sense?

#21 5 years ago

Actually I did think about that, yep! I just wanted something fancier looking than the normal rope-style ones due to being able to see the bulb. That does make me think the black platinums might be more up my alley there. Do you have any pics or suggestions you might share on what type of flexible LED you use?

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I may be the one confusing things as I don't know what socket is in there stock. Was just thinking that if there was a bulb out there you wanted and it wasn't available in the socket you needed that you could potentially just switch the socket around. Unless, of course, it was molded in a toy. I was thinking this was just a standard socket into the playfield for GI.

(Sorry for the late reply!)

Aha, yep that could work. I don't really have any problems going with a 555 as long as it would fit in the same hole. Where I would stop is needing to make any permanent modes. But yeah I'll look at that, thanks for the tip!

The 2 LED bulb is what I was thinking of from OLDPINGUY. I think I'll start there. If it's too dim, or I want differing colors (really want to check out that ice blue!) I'll try going up. I didn't think about the fluted dome but I might grab one of those too.

Thanks for the info all and sorry I derailed the conversation a bit!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Lighting - Interactive
    TheDudeMods
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 103.00
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 12.95
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.25
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider m00dawg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside