• Latest reply 6 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170809_161653 (resized).jpg
IMG_5521 (resized).JPG

There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

Cities are a call out. Deal with it, I guess. Bug fixes were good, and it seems some rule adjustments people (including me) had done manually from the default setting to make the game more risk/reward are now default settings; all good.
I honestly don't understand the bitching about this game. I think it's deep enough and has enough risk/reward to be very engaging, without being pointlessly 27 layers deep, code-wise.
I'm a KISS fan, I'll humbly admit it, but this game is a solid, complete game, IMHO.

I'm not a KISS fan and still think this game is really fun. In the end fun is all I'm asking for. I like depth but I have deeper games. I don't need everything to be SOTR levels of impossible to achieve.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Stern say on their FB page.....
'Stern Pinball We promised a "huge" update?
Improvements continue...'
Maybe more to come.

That's not how I read it. I read it as though who promised a HUGE update? I hope there is more as only half the bugs noted were addressed, I can't believe Deuce was not fixed. It gives you credit for shooting the non lit shot to the left of it!

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from mrmark0673:

For such a wait, it's a very meh update...

You seem to draw an assumption that they have been working on this update the whole time, which probably isnt the case

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from Kingpin22:

That's not how I read it. I read it as though who promised a HUGE update? I hope there is more as only half the bugs noted were addressed, I can't believe Deuce was not fixed. It gives you credit for shooting the non lit shot to the left of it!

Mine doesnt do that, are you sure its not hitting shots when the arrow is moving?

#55 6 years ago

(to follow)

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I concur with Terry.
Not every game has to be The Walking Dead on steroids.
KISS is a good, solid game.
rd

I agree with Terry and Dave on this. Good game, good risk/reward. Nice to see the bug fixes.

I don't remember Stern officially saying a "huge" update was coming or that the cities were intended for more than just call outs. Pretty sure that was all Pinside chatter. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Stern stopped rules-changing major updates on any of its games because that sets up an expectation for every game to evolve for years after production which isn't really a reasonable situation.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I concur with Terry.
Not every game has to be The Walking Dead on steroids.
KISS is a good, solid game.
rd

I guess it depends if you own 125 games or just 2. Might skew perception a bit When all you can do is play two games you find the game alot less complete than someone that spends a few games here and there on it.

#58 6 years ago

I was at Stern in May 2016 and October 2016. One of the programmers of Kiss told me an update for Kiss was in the works and it took until now to be released so it was low priority. He also told me cities never intended to do anything more than call outs. I'd rather not say who but suffice it to say the one who was coding the game :0

I'd be pretty confident this is the last update, so at least most of the bugs were fixed and the game is solid. Enjoy your game, it's fun!

Quoted from DrJoe:

I agree with Terry and Dave on this. Good game, good risk/reward. Nice to see the bug fixes.
I don't remember Stern officially saying a "huge" update was coming or that the cities were intended for more than just call outs. Pretty sure that was all Pinside chatter. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Stern stopped rules-changing major updates on any of its games because that sets up an expectation for every game to evolve for years after production which isn't really a reasonable situation.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I guess it depends if you own 125 games or just 2. Might skew perception a bit When all you can do is play two games you find the game alot less complete than someone that spends a few games here and there on it.

Yes, but KISS seems to be mainly a multi-ball game to me and there are 5 of those. BSD basically only has three stackable MB modes and people lose their minds over it, (me included btw lol). Yes I'd like to see some better polishing like callouts, sounds, and animations, but the game seems complete otherwise, and shoots very well.

#60 6 years ago

Can someone tell me more about the Deuce song bug that still remains... is it true you can shoot the shot on the left of flashing arrow and still get credit for arrow? How odd! And sloppy

#61 6 years ago

I'm not sure if it's fixed yet or not because I didn't get a chance to load the new code last night but I know at times certain shots that weren't lit would award a lit shot. This is before the shots start moving.

#62 6 years ago

The "Missing City Mode" might be my favorite pinball complaint of all time. I'm baffled at how this could be a "make or break" issue for this game. It should have just been programmed as a menu setting, though.

The ball save fix during multiball is huge, and I can't wait to load the update. All and all, this is the update that I've wanted.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Can someone tell me more about the Deuce song bug that still remains... is it true you can shoot the shot on the left of flashing arrow and still get credit for arrow? How odd! And sloppy

"Deuce" mode (symbolically) always has 2 shots lit. The "third shot" is an easter egg that is deeply linked to the interpretation of the song. If you subscribe to the "Deuce" song interpretation of "your man deserves 2 things instead of one", then how incredible is an unexpected third?

#64 6 years ago

Perhaps the "big changes" in games like MET, TWD and XM set expectations high for code releases in Stern games. Definitely a bad habit, one which I am guilty of since I was an early adopter of both MET and XM.

I played a KISS a bunch last night. Not a disappointment. The game is just a fun (and tough) shooter.
I host my league nights at my house and KISS is always getting played. Grand Prix too (with really surprised me).

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from Suicyco:

Are you basing this on the release notes or actual testing? They don't always list all the fixes in the text file.

Both. Obvious bugs like the unlit arrow to the left of a lit arrow registering, and the song change bug that was copied to Aerosmith's code are still in 1.30. No idea why those two, especially, weren't changed since they should be dead simple to fix and have been documented forever.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Mine doesnt do that, are you sure its not hitting shots when the arrow is moving?

Yours definitely does do that if you have a premium or le. No idea if the pro does it.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Jody called it a "big code update" that was coming when he talked about it last year on one of the john's arcade videos.

I jumped to where he said it in the video here:

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from Doot77:

I'm not sure if it's fixed yet or not because I didn't get a chance to load the new code last night but I know at times certain shots that weren't lit would award a lit shot. This is before the shots start moving.

Not fixed.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from wrinkle:

It should have just been programmed as a menu setting, though.

I'm puzzled as to why that wasn't done. Home user or operator sets the closest city on the list in the menu, all of Paul's location call outs now are set. A repeat player won't want to cycle through the left flipper a bunch before plunging just to hear some city's name a few times, with no other function. If it has no other feature or trait along the lines of selecting characters or houses in WWE, GOT, and SW, then it should just be an adjustment in the settings so it can be set and done.

Oh, and it's a bummer Boston was never included as my old concert memories always have Paul saying/singing "Bossssssss-tonnnnnnnNNN" between all the songs.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yours definitely does do that if you have a premium or le. No idea if the pro does it.

Pro has had the same bug in 1.28. I haven't loaded 1.30 to confirm it still exists.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Yes, that is a fair point. However, when I'm at home I play KISS more than any of the other 100 in the big room. Dunno why, I just like it.

I can appreciate if you only have one or two games (I had 1-3 pins most of the 1990s) they get old quick. I remember I sold my first F14 because I kept rolling it.

rd

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Pro has had the same bug in 1.28. I haven't loaded 1.30 to confirm it still exists.

It's still in Prem/LE 1.30, so it's likely still in Pro. it's weird they would leave it in when it seems pretty simple to fix.

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's still in Prem/LE 1.30, so it's likely still in Pro. it's weird they would leave it in when it seems pretty simple to fix.

I have a pro and have not noticed this, i will go try it now.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I have a pro and have not noticed this, i will go try it now.

Easiest to check in Deuce. Get the arrows shifted to the right, and when the arrows are on the demon head and the right ramp, hit the center ramp - it will count as if it was lit. This happens before the arrows start moving on their own.

Curated bug list for 1.30 is here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-130-bugs-and-wishlist

If you find any new bugs, post there and I'll add it to the list in the first post.

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

I honestly don't understand the bitching about this game. I think it's deep enough and has enough risk/reward to be very engaging, without being pointlessly 27 layers deep, code-wise.

It's a good game. But, I'm more interested in PLAYING the "good Stern games" and much more interested in BUYING the "great Stern games".

Even more so when it comes down to paying 5K for one. If you set the brand new out of the box $5K Kiss next to a shopped $2500 MSF, there is no way for me to justify buying either one. If you set just about any other Stern machine next to MSF or say... a SST for $2500, and I am forced to buy one, I would buy the Stern more often than not. In the case of Kiss, WOF, or WWE I would buy the $2500 machine. I think comparing Stern KISS to WOF is not that far of a stretch. They are both good games that I would never consider buying.

Honestly, I'm not complaining fairly because I'm neither a former or current owner of the game. Plus, I don't really like Kiss as a band or Gene at all. I could have possibly changed my mind though, had things played out differently.

Kiss is a fun game that I've played many a times while at two different local arcades, as well as at a Stern launch party and a local tournament that required playing the game quite a bit and completely understanding it (since finals were on it). Cranking the play field multipliers up on Kiss are a lot of fun. I mean, I like CSI and it's nowhere near finished or nearly as fun as Kiss.

I've owned 2 different Metallica machines that I've played 2K+ times and I can barely name 3 of their songs! I totally get that a game can be lots of fun and finished without so much bs going on all the time on the PF. I just don't feel compelled to buy a game when I'm not getting that replay it again feeling inside.

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Easiest to check in Deuce. Get the arrows shifted to the right, and when the arrows are on the demon head and the right ramp, hit the center ramp - it will count as if it was lit. This happens before the arrows start moving on their own.
Curated bug list for 1.30 is here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-130-bugs-and-wishlist
If you find any new bugs, post there and I'll add it to the list in the first post.

Wow, never noticed that, guess i always hit the lit shot.

I did notice now my gene is spitting the ball sdtm and it never did that before. Seems to be coming out slower.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Wow, never noticed that, guess i always hit the lit shot.
I did notice now my gene is spitting the ball sdtm and it never did that before. Seems to be coming out slower.

You need to tweak the power of the kick out (spit) for the head. This is a good opportunity to see if 1.30 fixed the system menu. On 1.28, they were reversed. The kick up adjustment was really the kick out and vice versa. Let me know if they're still reversed in 1.30.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

In the case of Kiss, WOF, or WWE I would buy the $2500 machine. I think comparing Stern KISS to WOF is not that far of a stretch. They are both good games that I would never consider buying.

No way is KISS even in the same neighborhood as WWE, which is a steaming pile that no code will ever rescue.

WoF, I can see the parallels, except that KISS is more polished than WoF, even with the bugs it does have.

If you put all three side by side, KISS is the only one I'd take home. The other two are bonafide turds.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You need to tweak the power of the kick out (spit) for the head. This is a good opportunity to see if 1.30 fixed the system menu. On 1.28, they were reversed. The kick up adjustment was really the kick out and vice versa. Let me know if they're still reversed in 1.30.

I thought they used to have a vuk and demon eject, now i only see demon eject

#80 6 years ago

I was a little bummed when I learned the code update was just bug fixes, but I installed the update last night and played a few games and it instantly brought a big ole grin to my face. I really enjoy the game and I don't see that changing. It will forever be bashed here on pinside but I could care less. To each their own, there are several games ranked in the top 20 that I don't think are near as fun as KISS.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I thought they used to have a vuk and demon eject, now i only see demon eject

It's Demon Eject #8 (Spit) and Demon Lockup #9 (VUK). They're still there. Just verified they're still reversed in 1.30 and adjust the opposite things.

#82 6 years ago

I have a pro, not sure if thats whats different. My demon eject is #3

20170809_161653 (resized).jpg20170809_161653 (resized).jpg

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I have a pro, not sure if thats whats different. My demon eject is #3

Right, forgot. Less features on Pro. On LE it's #8 and #9. Pros don't lock balls in the head, right? That would explain the missing adjustment.

#84 6 years ago

Right, but i did use to have a vuk adj. Which i dont see anymore

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Right, but i did use to have a vuk adj. Which i dont see anymore

Hmm. Don't have a pro to check, only access to a Prem and an LE here, so I can't help.

#86 6 years ago

I was able to put a few plays on the new code and I love the fact you can now stack a mode with love gun MB and HOF multiball, combine that with the song multipliers and is watch the scores climb. This really gives a added layer for putting the perfect stack together. I'm not sure if you can do the same thing with Demon multiball.

It also appeared that you have to go into the kiss menu to enable lovegun and Demon multiballl's previous progress, the update doesn't do it automatically.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

It will forever be bashed here on pinside but I could care less. To each their own, there are several games ranked in the top 20 that I don't think are near as fun as KISS.

Amen Brother! I had other options when I bought KISS and I'm not really a fan. But I played it against a bunch of other new Sterns and I just kept gravitating back to KISS to play another game; probably due to my skill level at the time and the fact that KISS was easy to understand the some of the basic rules. My skill level has gone up significantly now (my high score is over 900,000,000) but I still haven't mastered the game by any stretch.

#88 6 years ago

I'm traveling for business this week and staying at a hotel in Orlando. Sucks cause I can't update my code until I get back home in 10 more days!

In an odd twist of fate... this hotel has a KISS Pro in their arcade. It has crappy old, pre 1.28 code and I can see why people thought it sucked if that is the only version they played.

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

... It has crappy old, pre 1.28 code and I can see why people thought it sucked if that is the only version they played...

as often with exploitation games (which are not uptodate, or not working perfectly...)
but of course some "pros" are great

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Oh, and it's a bummer Boston was never included as my old concert memories always have Paul saying/singing "Bossssssss-tonnnnnnnNNN" between all the songs.

I was surprised Cleveland wasn't listed as a city as it was and still is a big market for KISS. Anyway, I used PB and swapped Pittsburgh for Cleveland and added a Paul callout from a bootleg 70s concert I had. Still looking for a clear Gene callout for Cleveland. Sounds great!

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

I used PB and swapped Pittsburgh for Cleveland ....

If only that worked in sports.

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

I was surprised Cleveland wasn't listed as a city as it was and still is a big market for KISS. Anyway, I used PB and swapped Pittsburgh for Cleveland and added a Paul callout from a bootleg 70s concert I had. Still looking for a clear Gene callout for Cleveland. Sounds great!

I'd stick a Spinal Tap call out in there.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

If only that worked in sports.

#94 6 years ago

Has anyone swapped songs on v 1.3 that can share?

#95 6 years ago

Does anyone know about the Lovegun multiball that is now able to start when the Kiss/army is lit? I thought you were able to stack the two together but it appears your only able to play one or the other. Is this correct?

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Has anyone swapped songs on v 1.3 that can share?

Just finished........

Black Diamond - 4.18.401
War Machine - 4:15 new

Dr Love - 3.23.951 (35)
Plaster Caster - 3:27 new

Detroit Rock City - 3.56 (36)
Crazy Nights - 3:47 new

Deuce - 3.05.789 keep (32)
New York Groove - 3:01 new

Hotter Than Hell - 3.08.770 (40)
Parasite - 3:04 new

Lick It Up - 3.59 (41)
Do You Love Me - 3:40 new

Love Gun - 3.13.101 (42)
Flaming Youth - 3:00 new

Love it Loud - 4.07.470 (43)

Rock N Roll All Nite - 2.48 (44)
Two timer - 2:49 new

Shout It Out Loud - 2.53 (45)
Come on and Love me - 2:58 new

Heavens on Fire - 3:23.227 (39)
King of the night time World - 3:21 new

#97 6 years ago

I'd love to do this, I just don't have the knowledge...
I would love to upload I stole your love, Cold Gin, Strutter or God of Thunder. Personally I would get rid of all of the re-recorded music and replace it with the actual real recordings of the real band.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from Tempest:

I'd love to do this, I just don't have the knowledge...
I would love to upload I stole your love, Cold Gin, Strutter or God of Thunder. Personally I would get rid of all of the re-recorded music and replace it with the actual real recordings of the real band.

Its not hard at all once you download PB. Hardest part is trying to find songs of the correct length. Too short and you're left with no music. Too long doesn't bother me. The song gets cut and immediately starts over. Other than that it's pretty much click and drop. Maybe a little time spent getting the volume levels equal. I even added some classic Bally KISS sounds. Keep a factory code handy always and have some fun!

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Just finished........
Black Diamond - 4.18.401
War Machine - 4:15 new
Dr Love - 3.23.951 (35)
Plaster Caster - 3:27 new
Detroit Rock City - 3.56 (36)
Crazy Nights - 3:47 new
Deuce - 3.05.789 keep (32)
New York Groove - 3:01 new
Hotter Than Hell - 3.08.770 (40)
Parasite - 3:04 new
Lick It Up - 3.59 (41)
Do You Love Me - 3:40 new
Love Gun - 3.13.101 (42)
Flaming Youth - 3:00 new
Love it Loud - 4.07.470 (43)
Rock N Roll All Nite - 2.48 (44)
Two timer - 2:49 new
Shout It Out Loud - 2.53 (45)
Come on and Love me - 2:58 new
Heavens on Fire - 3:23.227 (39)
King of the night time World - 3:21 new

Received a lot of messages....I need to make a few adjustments, once I do I will share it with everyone.

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Received a lot of messages....I need to make a few adjustments, once I do I will share it with everyone.

Awesome.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-kiss-code-130/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.