1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I recently found Pinside and have been impressed with all the activity here, even with all the bitching. Brief intro: I recently moved into a new house with a really big finished basement, so being a kid of the 80's I thought it would be great to have an arcade game down there. I started to shop around and thought that since I have so much room maybe a pinball machine would be a good compliment to the arcade game and it would make for some nice variety. Now, I didn't play much pinball in the 80's, the occasional game at the bowling alley or arcade if they even had a pin. They were pretty fun but for me didn't have much long term attraction because the games didn't seem too deep, basically keep the ball in play and score as many points as you can. Fast forward to present day and holy cow do these games look cool and seem so much more appealing than when I was a kid. I love the variety of themes, all the toys on the pf now, the depth of modes etc,etc. So here I am without even owning my first pin and I'm already measuring the basement to see how many I can fit down there. I think I'm in trouble.

John

#2 1 year ago

Welcome!

If you don't have any pinball machines yet this place is full of advice and everybody will tell you what you need to spend your hard earned money on.

And if they don't, just start a "what should I buy thread" and you will get all the advice you need.

#3 1 year ago

Welcome, and thanks for not saying "man cave".

#4 1 year ago

I'm confused...your supposed to figure how many fit before you buy more????

Never tried it that way .... game first, space later

Welcome John!

#5 1 year ago

I am still fairly new to the scene, and on my first pin. While advice will not be short around here, my suggestions would be to:

1 | set a budget range first and what category of pin you might like - prices for serviceable good working DMD pins with decent themes start in the low $2K range when you can find them to new pins $10K+
    2 | go through the top 100 on Pinside, pick several themes you think you may like, and watch the videos
    3 | find places with pins in your area and actually go play - and by all means if you are anywhere close to a pinball festival then go
    4 | find the pin specific threads you are narrowing your interests down to and read through them as this will give great insight into the games
    5 | search this site, monitor CL, etc. for deals on pins if looking for a used machine
    6 | find someone in your area that really knows about pinball that can help you make an intelligent buying decision - look for facebook clubs, people from your area on Pinside, etc.
    7 | buy something that you want and like, who cares what someone else may think on this site - there are lovers and haters of every pin ever made
    8 | put extra money aside unless you are buying a brand new machine as you will have things to fix, mod, etc.
    9 | hone your technical skills as you will want to be able to make adjustments and fix most things yourself
    10 | get to know the reputable pinball parts suppliers as there are many great ones, but also a few charlatans out there

Most of all, have fun! This is a great hobby with great people who all share a common interest and are happy support, have fun with, and hang out virtually with you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 11,500.00
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 24.00
    $ 142.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 22.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    £ 58.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    $ 142.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 999.00
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside