Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2016-04-26_23.49.12_(resized).jpg
2016-04-10_11.37.24_(resized).jpg
2016-04-10_11.36.39_(resized).jpg
2016-04-09_00.29.12_(resized).jpg
2016-04-09_00.27.58_(resized).jpg
2016-04-09_00.27.20_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MCE_LLC.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Background:
This is my first EM and only my second pin (both purchased within two weeks) so I'm on a steep learning curve here. I have been pouring over the schematics and manual, have searched the forums, other sites, and YouTube. It's all helped me understand more about how it all works, but hasn't given me what I need.

The Machine:
This was a garage find machine that the previous owner said worked when it was in his parent's basement but didn't work when he moved it to his garage. Physically and electronically, the machine looks to be in really good shape. Turn it on and lights light up and several relays activate. The coin mechanism has been removed and electrically bypassed (possible clue).

Symptoms:
When you hit the replay button, the scoring motor does a 1/3 rotation and stops. The lower AX solenoid fires but the switches don't move. The coin unit does a half hearted fire of the top solenoid. After playing around and manually triggering solonids, I got the game to cycle through the start-up including resetting the score. It's like a healthy car that just can't fire up for some reason.

After a lot of poking around and trying to understand the schematics, I found a couple of things that I think may come into play. The first is the connector that goes from the coin and tilt to the cabinet.
Coin door without coin mechanismCoin door without coin mechanism
Connector located under tilt mechanismConnector located under tilt mechanism
If you look at the above picture (coin door is to the right), you will see the green wire at the lower left. I found this just wrapped around another wire but not connected to anything. You also see the brown jumper that does not look original. I suspect that both of them are a product of someone bypassing the coin mechanism.
Left chute/Right chute switchLeft chute/Right chute switch
The other thing I noticed was there is no jumper between two tabs. Based on the schematics, I would have expected it.

Having found all of this, I tried jumping the loose green wire to the brown jumper wire and connecting the two tabs on the coin chute switch. It would still not start but the Start Relay (S) and 2nd Chute Relay (W) now activate during start-up.. The lower AX solenoid will fire but the switch does not move. The coin unit still does the a half hearted fire. If I manually fire the AX solenoid, the machine will complete the start up sequence.

Questions:
Why does the AX not fire completely? I know this is the crux of the matter and a common issue but I can't quite understand it.

What should I do with the green wire? Solder it back onto a connector tab?

Has the coin mechanism been bypassed properly? What should I look for here?

Do I need to jump the two tabs on the One coin/One play side of the connector?

Thanks, All.

#3 8 years ago

Thank you, Rolf. You were right on the money. The U relay was not pulling when I turned the power on. I traced the normally closed circuits that power the U relay and they all seemed ok. I manually pushed the relay then hit the start button and the start sequence seemed to run a full cycle.

Then I happend to touch the piece where the wires to power the solonoid were soldered and it wiggled. That didn't seem right. So I took it apart and found this.
2016-04-10_11.36.39_(resized).jpg2016-04-10_11.36.39_(resized).jpg
2016-04-10_11.37.24_(resized).jpg2016-04-10_11.37.24_(resized).jpg

It looks like i can get them from at least parts supplier but would be interested in knowing if one is the go-to supplier.

Now, why did this happen? Is it just age and environmental conditions? There is no sign of any other problems inside the cabinet. Would there be another reason that it burned out? I don't want to replace the part without fixing the cause.

Again, thank you for your help, Rolf.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks, Rolf. I agree that this looks like a normal end-of-life failure. I have a new coil on order. All the other coils look good on the outside.

When I am not playing a machine, I turn it off and unplug it.

#9 8 years ago

Thanks, All. I have my parts on order, waiting for them to arrive. Funny how ordering a $10 relay turns into a $90 order in no time.

I'll use the hoov approach and take it one step at a time. Get the game running and see what needs to be fixed next. Eventually I'll cover everything on DOS's list.

BTW: I decided to make my avatar is from the JQ backglass.

#11 8 years ago

Just a quick update:
While waiting for the coil, I cleaned all the plugs and checked the stepper. Once I received the coil, I soldered it and put the assembly back. Now the machine starts up and appears to fully cycle when I push the replay button. I started testing the playfield switches and quickly discovered that nothing was registering on the score wheel nor where the chime relays activating. The stepper under the playfield steps during play and counts back when the out hole is tripped.

#13 8 years ago

No success so far. I've googled a lot and watched a bunch of YouTube videos when I wasn't poking around.

When I start a game and trip a roll-over on the playfield, the score motor will rotate one cycle. When it does, there is no chime or score but the playfield lights progress around the circle. If I hit a drop target, the first one will cycle but no score. After that the score motor will run without stopping but nothing else.

In the back, I can manually trip L once and get one chime. If i've done anything on the playfield, the M coil is energized but no score or chime.

The other thing is that I hear a transformer type hum from inside the cabinet midway up. I think it is the first ball relay because it is in the locked on position. The relay also gets very hot.

While searching for solutions, I read that sometimes a playfield switch could be on. So I've gone through all the playfield switches to make sure they have the proper default settings.

The chimes plungers are free. I've manually moved the scoring wheels. They all reset properly during start-up. I've also cleaned and checked all the jones plugs. The whole thing is really in nice shape which leads me to suspect it's some switch adjusted wrong. Or not.

#15 8 years ago

Finally some progress!
I was poking around in the cabinet and finally discovered that the buzzing sound was coming from the chimes. I pulled the ground wire and it stopped. I touched the ground wire to the lug and one of the chimes fired. I figured out that was being caused scoring relay. So I checked the M relay since that is the one that always locks on. All the contacts were properly opening and closing when I pushed on the switch. Then I noticed that a blob of solder holding the wire on the on the tab for the locking switch was very close to the other tab. So I bent the top tabs apart so they weren't close.

At the same time, I saw the 00-90 Unit Relay looked a little cruddy. So I took that apart and cleaned the contacts.

Who knows which one did the trick or if I just hit the right wire, but now when I hit a playfield switch, the score shows up and the chime sounds. There's still more to do but I decided to end the night on a good note.

This machine is in great shape overall. I can't imagine what it's like to try to clean up a pin that's basket case.

#16 7 years ago

The monkey is finally off my back!

After lots and lots of searching, reading other posts, and watching videos, I finally had my "son of a bitch" moment. This is on of the pictures I posted on tommycrum's topic about his JQ. What is wrong with this picture?2016-04-26_23.49.12_(resized).jpg2016-04-26_23.49.12_(resized).jpg

Answer: The spring wire and two switches are supposed to be between the two posts, not outside of them. I never picked up on it because the solenoids fired just fine and the stepper rotated well. Once I figured it out and fixed it, everything came together. Needless to say, I've learned a tremendous amount about how EMs work during this process. Thanks for everyone that provided help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MCE_LLC.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jungle-queen-with-incomplete-start-sequence?tu=MCE_LLC and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.