(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2532 American pinball is advertising in pinball life orders Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #2768 Press Release from American Pinball before TPF 2017 Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #2820 video of game reveal at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2829 TPF gameplay video (short) Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2831 Photo of Houdini backbox/translite Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #2839 more short Houdini gameplay video from TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2841 Video of Houdini catapult toy in action Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2851 Price confirmed as $6995 from sources at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #3006 A quick review of TPF reactions. Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #3050 Some history of Houdini leading up to TPF from rosh Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xtheblackknightx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#148 7 years ago

Just wait for the release or go to Las Vegas and see the reveal. Vegas is a two hour flight for me, but I don't waste time on prototypes.

PinballNews.com is already in the loop and on the case report regarding the game.

It is a real game, however I did not realize it had moved beyond concept stage and had been prototyped.
I thought that the game was still in the design phase.

It's timing is certainly not accidental, just as JJP, which some already knew was coming regard Pat's game as the prototype was finished around 3-4 months ago (I do seriously doubt Jack will have boxed games to sell though at the Expo, nice PR hat trick).

I would not let your pants run away with your wallet off your body quite yet however.

Reveals do not equal shipped production games to your home, nor all the proposed features, if anyone here was actually around when Pinball Magic was public released in Capcom's game announcement early 1995 and what occurred.

If this sounds familiar to those that leaped blind on a couple of games, I am sorry. I never like to see anyone get burned.

If the game design is solid, it will sell.
Hell, I might buy one if it can top my PM (and I play the game), but not if it is ToM v2.0.
How well will depend on test play and anticipated $7K price for value.

PinSide is not the pinball collector world enclosed in a bubble of thoughts, although many will remain upset on the shennigans of the past.
Most people have no idea what occurred now. Many new collectors have entered since that time into the hobby.

Pre orders are always dangerous, if collectors understand my interview regarding the history of Big Bang Bar.

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

None of this is real is it? Isn't this just some Kannada nonsense post?
If it is real, I would think Houdini is going to be a MG retheme/maybe slightly reworked.

The game concept was real based on my networking in the industry, but I had no idea of was prototyped, let alone a sample prepared for Expo. That was news. It was originally scheduled for reveal in 2017, or at least that was the plan.

I guess AP wanted to make ripples in the pond, and shake the tree of collectors. Even if it is produced the market is starting to saturate with new titles. At least one or two boutique companies are going to lose, and potentially fail out of lack of sales causing closures.

This Expo situation will just accelerate the next market stall.

#395 7 years ago

As I already explained in previous posts.
The game concept is real based on a developed design based on my industry contacts.
I was aware of prototyping.
I did not realize that samples had been completed, nor a a plan for an early reveal.
This is not a Kaneda troll post, so I am not sure why people keeping believing it is such only because the original poster is the person people dislike.
I don't like the anyone should have the need to use duplicate accounts, but the information still had value.

In the history of pinball, this is not the first time manufacturers have pulled a "hat trick", nor a surprise at an Expo.

AP is a new player in town that could upset what Stern thought was a industry monopoly for the current Expo.
I welcome the competition, as this will moderate pricing even if only for a short while, especially if the gameplay is solid, regardless of hard feelings towards the designer.

This hobby has a very short memory of the past, that some say is "not relevant", which is false.
If money can be generated, things will progress.

#455 7 years ago

Yes and everybody wants to downvote when they do not want to believe.

I only try to help and educate, and remain impartial towards individuals. I am not a fan of anyone. I don't wish to argue. I am also was not "Dick Thorn" that people here so kindly accused. I did not do the BBB interview for that individual. I did it for many "modern" collectors who asked me to do it. My time is limited.

Some people do not seem to want to understand this straightfoward point.
No agenda, no narcissism, no personal profit.

This applies to this topic regarding AP as well.
People need to stop trying to target people for their frustations, as there is a severe loss of the ability to learn anything productive.

2 months later
#2410 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Houdini...bwaaaaahahahaha. Was anyone really fooled again?

I can think of two people immediately.
Dhaval Vasani and Scott Goldberg.
I hope the lawyer negotiations are going well.
Potential loss of several million dollars in the long term, just from two specific games.

The game had potential, although the scope of redesign may be prohibitive.
This may become yet another long running joke in the pinball world, the famous "Houdini disappearing act".
Certainly disappointing based on the opportunity, but I do hope original investors, many which I do know, obtain their MG game someday in consequence.

The biggest problem with expectations in the industry is the constant belief of deadlines that are actually obtainable.
If companies were directly honest, and not set completely unrealistic timelines, they might build consumer trust.
As it stands, not a lot of faith can be placed in manufacturers in the past 15 years, no matter who they are.
This is not the only company right now that is trying to pull the curtain over oversights, or ignore their original declarations.
All but one right now are doing the same thing, but at least some owners are starting to get smarter.

#2425 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's almost time for those MGs to be delivered. Has anybody got their shipping notice yet?

Some of the investors (original buyers) I know where not contacted when the new updated MG timeline was "released".
They had to contact AP for details and ask what was going on, and answers were Houdini "mystic".
Many do not even weekly read pinball journals or forums, and chalked it up for loss anyway.

This did not consider the MG parts that had been consigned for contract to be made, such as ramps with the mold work, but the original producers were not contacted either.
I second part, still has not been completely sorted out to my knowledge.
The playfield simply does not work correctly.

Neither game was properly white wooded, and Houdini is first behind than MG in terms of development.

Both titles are just a "wait and see" games now until people figure out how to proceed.
I wish best of fortune.

#2426 7 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Not trying to pick on you here, but is there a prevailing attitude that more time should be spent trying to get Magic Girl completed? I want the investors to get their *money* back. At this point, trying to get the game built is a waste of time, money, effort, and stress.

The problem is as I stated is neither game is a direct point of manufacture at the current time.
Both games need redesign equally from the playfield standpoints.
I don't know if the code work on Houdini was even started.

AP is aware of the situation more completely now, based on bit of uncompromising faith in the designer, which was a bit premature.
I have no wishes for the investors that spent $16K in full payment to not get their MG machines.

The priority of completion is whatever AP decides not pre order buyers or enthusiasts.
I certainly don't make manufacture rules, just caution pinball enthusiasts to be careful with their money.
For me it called, "calculated risk" not blind trust.

1 week later
#2496 7 years ago

The future of AP is not quite over yet.
There is still potential of the MG release.
The comment about Joe Balcer is relevant.
Everyone just needs to be patient.

Enjoy Christmas and maybe a "new" used pinball machine purchase over the holidays.

- TBK

#2499 7 years ago

Just keep in mind for all those that are still interested.

MG won't necessarily be a "great, amazing, wonderful flow and deep ruleset" pinball machine.
People should be satisfied it finally works, flips, and is reasonably playable.
I know this is not the optimal end state, but that is the final best case scenario, and investors get something.
Based on the current market, it might not make a difference, as "rare", "good", and "expensive" do not always go together.

The good news is I have multiple collector friends nearby that I might be able to sample the final product on way or another.

#2524 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

likely hasn't changed much since.. so unless a miracle happened or sometjing big usgoing on behind the scenes it ain't that close

Game parts are now finally on hand.
Legalities have been worked out.
Code design is very basic.
Construction has not yet started.

"Code design does not fix playfield problems."
(which essentially has remained unchanged with this title)

I wish AP the best of fortune.
Nothing wrong with pinball skepticism, it's been a long ride.
It helps protect your finances as well.
Recommended this direction for years.

I cannot give a build timeline, as that is whatever AP chooses.
This has not been decided, and any projections are the responsibility of the manufacturer.
I would not bother to give information, if their was not some type of credence.

I don't have any progress updates regarding Houdini, but I would seriously hope AP reshoots the whitewood.
I would enjoy owning one, but I do live on realities not wishes.

In the past I did try to help others in understanding the developments of other companies, but people tend to sniper shot everything here for fun. As a result, I just let people discover the ultimate endgame by themselves.

I remain hopeful for the investors that paid for the title I know.

1 week later
#2605 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

All original games, all slow sellers. COINCIDENCE???

I thought when Charlie offered AMH in early 2013, it sold out quickly in good measure for pre orders?
It was nowhere near Full Throttle's situation from Heighway.

#2664 7 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

With AP now starting from scratch, and Jpop gone, there really should be no expectation of AP doing anything for MG RAZA and AIW owners

Although this is true, this would mean the significant parts AP already stocked and had made for finishing MG are wasted.
A lot of money was invested to finish this title.
It went well beyond the "crash course" that was tried by enthusiasts over a year ago.
Joe Balcer was brought in for purposes to finish MG, not just be an advisor or develop Houdini.

Once again, AP has the reigns and direction, if they choose to build MG once they iron out whatever now they were dealings with Mr. Popadiuk. From my information, legal issues were already resolved. I am now out of the loop, and step away from interest, as there is nothing to be reported.
Either the game is built and shipped, or AP takes the immediate losses and completely drop the project.
It is not like anybody else is going to have another crack at finishing this game again.
Anything beyond what I just mentioned is just attempts to feed drama fires or generate controversy out of entertainment, hate, disappointment or wanting AP to fail as a future market competitor.

What people should be more concerned is another manufacturer that has a current game that should already have been shipped, taken many enthusiasts money including full pre order payments and has not happened. The game has been promised to ship nearly every month since July 2016. The realities are the game is still not finished in terms of design, nor has production even started, and the company remains in a state of financial crisis.

At least AP made the right decision to shut up and not keep promising unrealistic timelines after their first error.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 119.99
$ 9.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xtheblackknightx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced?tu=xtheblackknightx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.